T+E

USCIS Prepares to Decrease Staff by 70% (13 Thousand Workers)

132 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Not to get political but if I understand right, I recently found out that USCIS funding bill goes to the House first. And the Democrats own the house, so if Democrats are such bleeding hearts for illegals and immigration why haven't they touched this legal immigration funding bill? What's their motive? Its gotta be political yes? But at the expense of people it effects.

8 minutes ago, Wouter said:

If you want to make it political then please be at least honest about it and don't say "not to get political" and then use pejorative terms like "bleeding hearts". It is also not true that Democrats have not touched the funding request. From what I have been reading there are concerns among Democrats in Congress that the DHS under Trump is using USCIS money for ICE and other purposes that it was not supposed to be used for and that this is why USCIS has run out of money. So they are looking for stronger guarantees from DHS that the funding will go to pay for USCIS employees salaries and not building a pointless wall.
However, regardless of your political position, Democrat or Republican, even a bipartisan majority will be fine to get USCIS the emergency funding it needs because this shutdown will affect everyone with an ongoing USCIS petition. So write your members of Congress to let them know you would like for them to support this bill.

Can foreign nationals (immigrants) contact members of Congress as well? Or does it have to be a US citizen? If yes, I (green card holder) will write one today.

N400 Timeline, 5 year rule

FO: Washington DC (Fairfax, VA)

2/9/23 Sent application by Mail

2/13/23 USCIS Received

2/16/23 USCIS NOA1 date and sent the mail

2/16/23 USCIS NOA2 and sent mail with online access code

2/18/23 USCIS Scheduled for bio appointment and sent letter

2/24/23 Received NOA1 and NOA2 in the mail

2/25/23 Received Bio appointment letter in the mail

3/9/23  Bio Appointment

3/9/23 Online Update: Case is actively reviewed by USCIS

7/20/23 Case placed in queue for an interview to be scheduled

7/26/23 Interview Scheduled

9/1/23 Interview, decision cannot be made

9/7/23 Recommended for approval; Oath ceremony will be scheduled

9/8/23 Oath ceremony scheduled

9/22/23 Oath Ceremony

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Wouter said:

If you want to make it political then please be at least honest about it and don't say "not to get political" and then use pejorative terms like "bleeding hearts". It is also not true that Democrats have not touched the funding request. From what I have been reading there are concerns among Democrats in Congress that the DHS under Trump is using USCIS money for ICE and other purposes that it was not supposed to be used for and that this is why USCIS has run out of money. So they are looking for stronger guarantees from DHS that the funding will go to pay for USCIS employees salaries and not building a pointless wall.
However, regardless of your political position, Democrat or Republican, even a bipartisan majority will be fine to get USCIS the emergency funding it needs because this shutdown will affect everyone with an ongoing USCIS petition. So write your members of Congress to let them know you would like for them to support this bill.

I wasn't making it political. I just couldn't understand or find the reason they've been sitting on this bill. And Democrats are pro immigration and when I found out it surprised me that nothing has been done then. Don't make things what it's not and take things are face value. Also if what you say is true what will writing member's of congress do if they're just negotiating deals behind the scenes. We should just wait till each side is getting what they want or not wanting who knows and hope not to many are affected by their bickering and they fix it fast. Lordy their bickering. 

Edited to add: Does DHS have the authority take take funds from USCIS that is 99 percent fee funded and use it for ICE? Goodness that's shocking I haven't heard that yet, doesnt sound legal if so. I'll have to Google it.

Edited by OrihimeandIchigo

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
52 minutes ago, aperson said:

Can foreign nationals (immigrants) contact members of Congress as well? Or does it have to be a US citizen? If yes, I (green card holder) will write one today.

Yes, your Representative in the House represents everyone who lives in her/his district, and every Senator represents everyone who lives in their state. It is a basic right for everyone who lives in the US to write their Congress(wo)man and Senators to bring things to their attention, give your opinion, and ask them for their help and involvement.

Note on the side: This is also why the census (which is now ongoing, please participate!) counts everyone who lives in the US, not just citizens. There is no question on the census that asks you whether you are a citizen or LPR or anything like that. The census numbers are used to draw congressional districts because the representatives for those districts represent everyone who lives there.

Also remember, even if as a non-citizen you can't vote you probably still pay taxes and Congress decides what happens to your tax money so they should at least be willing to listen to your opinion!

3 hours ago, Wouter said:

Yes, your Representative in the House represents everyone who lives in her/his district, and every Senator represents everyone who lives in their state. It is a basic right for everyone who lives in the US to write their Congress(wo)man and Senators to bring things to their attention, give your opinion, and ask them for their help and involvement.

Note on the side: This is also why the census (which is now ongoing, please participate!) counts everyone who lives in the US, not just citizens. There is no question on the census that asks you whether you are a citizen or LPR or anything like that. The census numbers are used to draw congressional districts because the representatives for those districts represent everyone who lives there.

Also remember, even if as a non-citizen you can't vote you probably still pay taxes and Congress decides what happens to your tax money so they should at least be willing to listen to your opinion!

Awesome! Thanks for your info. I will write one to my local congress members

N400 Timeline, 5 year rule

FO: Washington DC (Fairfax, VA)

2/9/23 Sent application by Mail

2/13/23 USCIS Received

2/16/23 USCIS NOA1 date and sent the mail

2/16/23 USCIS NOA2 and sent mail with online access code

2/18/23 USCIS Scheduled for bio appointment and sent letter

2/24/23 Received NOA1 and NOA2 in the mail

2/25/23 Received Bio appointment letter in the mail

3/9/23  Bio Appointment

3/9/23 Online Update: Case is actively reviewed by USCIS

7/20/23 Case placed in queue for an interview to be scheduled

7/26/23 Interview Scheduled

9/1/23 Interview, decision cannot be made

9/7/23 Recommended for approval; Oath ceremony will be scheduled

9/8/23 Oath ceremony scheduled

9/22/23 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
8 hours ago, Wouter said:

every Senator represents everyone who lives in their state

This reminds me of when I was quizzing Mrs. T-B. with the questions potentially on her naturalization test.  One question was, "Whom do the two U.S. senators in your state represent?"  She said, "Every other person!" :P 

For a humor break, much more here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/382775-mrs-t-b-the-citizenship-test/

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
On 7/4/2020 at 7:49 PM, TBoneTX said:

This was probably my all-time favorite topic in VJ! Did you ever get to post the Consulate story?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
27 minutes ago, Quarknase said:

This was probably my all-time favorite topic in VJ!

Aw, shucks...

28 minutes ago, Quarknase said:

Did you ever get to post the Consulate story?

Began compiling it, but it's very tedious.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

On 7/4/2020 at 2:47 AM, OrihimeandIchigo said:

Not to get political but if I understand right, I recently found out that USCIS funding bill goes to the House first. And the Democrats own the house, so if Democrats are such bleeding hearts for illegals and immigration why haven't they touched this legal immigration funding bill? What's their motive? Its gotta be political yes? But at the expense of people it effects.

Maybeee this has something to do with the fact that USCIS already hiked fees and then sent hundreds of millions of that money to pad ICE, and USCIS workers didn’t end up seeing any of that. Now they are asking for an urgent funding source in the middle of a recession to help pay those very workers?

“Not to get political” but isn’t the right suppose to be the party of fiscal responsibility? Now you’re mad the left is questioning spending.

They had/have the money, they are just using it to lock people up instead of pay workers. That’s on them.

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

On 6/28/2020 at 7:06 PM, IBE2CA said:

Curious what will happen with AOS applicants currently in limbo and with cancelled interviews because of COVID 19?  My K1 wife had her appointment canceled in April.  

I'm in the same boat. 

Any progress on your case?

If only they'd give us an interview date we'd have something to look forward too!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Beenwaitingforeva said:

I'm in the same boat. 

Any progress on your case?

If only they'd give us an interview date we'd have something to look forward too!!

nope.  Hurry up and wait.  They cashed my check tho for her and her daughter

Timeline
9 hours ago, ts0276a said:

Hey all! Here is a little bit of good news for this thread :D 

"The chairwoman of the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Homeland Security said Tuesday (July 7, 2020) that a supplemental bill to address the US Citizenship and Immigration Services funding shortfall caused by the pandemic will move through Congress this month in an effort to prevent the agency from furloughing about 70% of its staff on Aug. 3." Link to article: https://www.law360.com/aerospace/articles/1289762/congress-plans-new-funding-bill-to-aid-uscis-shortfall

Nothing is set in stone yet obviously, but based on the article it seems like lawmakers are starting to pay more attention to this issue. Keep emailing your state representatives (as I have done) to continue bringing attention to the USCIS budget shortfall in order to protect USCIS employees from potential furloughs, and ultimately, prevent more delays in immigration processing time for our loved ones!

This is wonderful its a step in the right direction. Thank you so much for posting this 😊

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.