tris&kris

K1 Action Plan - Getting Consulates to Process Our Visas

165 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It is very frustrating that Americans are making matters worse by not wearing their mask to prevent the spread of COVID-19...otherwise things would have been different now.

My K1 fiancè works with a US govt agency.

Will that make any difference? How do we make a case of this delay?

Thank you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

TEMPLATE TO SEND TO FRIENDS/FAMILY/SOCIAL MEDIA CONTACTS OF THE US CITIZEN 

Send this to any and all friends and family of the US Citizen for them to quickly send to their Congressional Representatives for maximum impact.  The more the State Department Congressional Liaison hears about K1s, the more likely they are to be brought up to Pompeo.  Use the links on the first page to look up their representatives for them or include the links in your request so it is easier for them. 

Dear {INSERT REPRESENTATIVE NAME},

I am writing to you today about an issue personal to me that I would like forwarded to the State Department Congressional Liaison.  

I am one of your constituents living in {CITY/STATE}. My {INSERT RELATION} {INSERT NAME OF US CITIZEN} has been separated from their fiancé {FIANCE NAME} of {FIANCE COUNTRY}.  Their fiancé is awaiting a K1 visa, which is a non-immigrant visa awarded to fiancés of US Citizens and is not affected by the recent Presidential Proclamation 10014.  It is, however, affected by the various coronavirus travel bans to the United States and by the suspension of routine visas services by the State Department.  Recently, the State Department has deemed spousal visas mission critical and spouses are exempt from the coronavirus travel bans to the United States. 

I strongly believe the State Department should designate fiancé visas “mission critical” as they have for IR1/CR1 spousal visas.  I also believe a valid K1 holder should be considered an immediate family member for the purposes of the various travel restrictions related to coronavirus.  These K1 visas are often overlooked due to the small program size but serve a similar purpose to spousal visas and should be treated as such.   The United States has a national interest in reuniting American citizens with their loved ones who serve as their support systems, especially during a pandemic.  

I would greatly appreciate a letter of confirmation.

Sincerely,

{INSERT NAME}

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Process & Procedures to Progress Reports.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hello Great job guys thank you all for being proactive and drawing the much needed attention to our plight .....I got in contact with the embassy in Frankfurt and below is the reply I got

IMG_20200628_113459.thumb.jpg.c80e6c8f286d64a418bc45beeeb0f444.jpg

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sudan
Timeline

Hi there,

I’m also in North Carolina and I’ve just been trying to wait patiently for some good news. Didn’t know what to do. I would like to contact a Representative but not sure exactly how to word it. Would you mind sending a copy of what you had written in your letter. Thanks 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline
On 6/26/2020 at 8:51 PM, LibbyG99 said:

The staffer did bring up making K-1s mission critical, and I see they neglected to comment on this issue, but at least we're getting through to them!

How exactly are you getting through to them? That's literally the same information they've already sent countless regular folks.

They didn't address the mission-critical thing, probably because that's way above their paygrade. As long as routine services are suspended, making them mission-critical is kind of the only thing that will make the consulates process them.

36 minutes ago, Joy18 said:

Hi there,

I’m also in North Carolina and I’ve just been trying to wait patiently for some good news. Didn’t know what to do. I would like to contact a Representative but not sure exactly how to word it. Would you mind sending a copy of what you had written in your letter. Thanks 

Read above, it's on the same page for the template.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
On 6/26/2020 at 10:41 AM, Aly123 said:

Thank you for contacting me regarding your visa concerns.

The agency will require a completed Privacy Release before discussing your confidential information with my office. I have enclosed a blank release for your convenience.

The completed release should be returned to Saira Bhatti at Saira.Bhatti@mail.house.gov, or mailed to my Sterling District Office, along with any current correspondence between you and the U.S. Department of State. Upon receipt, an inquiry will be directed on your behalf. 

In the meantime, should you have additional questions, please contact my staff assistant, Saira Bhatti, in my Sterling District Office.

Sincerely,
wextonsig.png 
Jennifer Wexton
Member of Congress

This is what I received  from my Representative. I’m filling out the form now.

Do you have an e-mail for submitting to Representative Wexton? SHe is also my Rep and I would like to request assistance as well with my case as the Embassy is not providing any updates. Thank you! I went to her website but only saw a general form. I filled out the privacy act form in case. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

@MaxKM No harm in contacting your representative early about your concerns that K1s are not currently mission critical.

@SETETA I will post a template you can send your rep by the end of the day. Currently at work. If you’re wanting to do it sooner, you could modify the friends/family template I posted above.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
25 minutes ago, SETETA said:

Do you have an e-mail for submitting to Representative Wexton? SHe is also my Rep and I would like to request assistance as well with my case as the Embassy is not providing any updates. Thank you! I went to her website but only saw a general form. I filled out the privacy act form in case. 

I did receive an email from someone who works for her but it was just for clarification. Make sure you email Saira Bhatti. The representative that actually called me is from my parents district. Some districts are busier than others so if you have friends that live in different districts you can try reaching out to different representatives. I actually reached out to 6 and heard back from four.

On 6/22/2020 at 9:07 PM, tris&kris said:

Hi Fellow K1s,

The number one thing we can do right now to ensure that we get reunited with our loved ones, is to contact your US elected officials. Let them know that you are a constituent of their district or state, that you are in the K1 process, and that you are concerned that K1s are not being addressed adequately during the pandemic. Include a few sentences of your personal story so they remember you. Urge them to speak to their contacts at the State Department and ask the State Department to:

1) Clarify the position of K1s in regards to the EOs on immigration (we believe they should not be affected as they are non-immigrant visas which are not specifically denied) 

2) Deem K1 visas mission critical visas during the pandemic and provide travel exemptions as such

3) Make a public statement regarding their intended plans for K1 processing so that we all can be informed 

I contacted my representative last week and was surprised with how quickly they responded and how seriously they took my concerns. The more noise we make the better! The squeaky wheel always gets the grease!

Contact your representatives and post below with confirmation so we can shower you with applause and likes! I’m going to contact my senators (North Carolina) tonight.

Find your House Representative here:

https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative

Find your Senator here:

https://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

Thanks for this information. I sent an email to my congresswoman last night. Will update this post when she replies. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
58 minutes ago, Aly123 said:

I did receive an email from someone who works for her but it was just for clarification. Make sure you email Saira Bhatti. The representative that actually called me is from my parents district. Some districts are busier than others so if you have friends that live in different districts you can try reaching out to different representatives. I actually reached out to 6 and heard back from four.

I talked to her office and they were very helpful. Thanks so much!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.