tris&kris

K1 Action Plan - Getting Consulates to Process Our Visas

165 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I actually contacted mine a few weeks ago(WA) about this exact issue and got the canned ####### they send often(how they are fighting to keep DACA, etc). I was direct to the point, but it was obvious they did not read the subject or message.🙄 I'll try again, but hopefully you folks get better luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, supportdesk said:

I actually contacted mine a few weeks ago(WA) about this exact issue and got the canned ####### they send often(how they are fighting to keep DACA, etc). I was direct to the point, but it was obvious they did not read the subject or message.🙄 I'll try again, but hopefully you folks get better luck.

Awesome job trying though!! You may have better luck with your House Representative. They tend to get a smaller volume of emails and may actually read them. 

Note, it can be a cumbersome process. I had to print, fill out, and mail a privacy release form in order for them to contact the Embassy on my behalf 

Timeline

PLEASE NOTE:

Try using the “Need Help with A Federal Agency” Option on your Congressperson’s website.

This is more likely you to get an individual response. It does  require filling out a privacy release form which you may have to mail.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
6 minutes ago, tris&kris said:

PLEASE NOTE:

Try using the “Need Help with A Federal Agency” Option on your Congressperson’s website.

This is more likely you to get an individual response. It does  require filling out a privacy release form which you may have to mail.

I actually did that too :) (Apr 3)

Thank you for contacting our office regarding the difficulties you are experiencing with the U.S. Department of State.

Unfortunately, I have been working with many cases that have been in administrative processing for the last year. To add on, the COVID-19 pandemic has brought upon further delays in processing, and, as of March 20th, 2020, the Department of State is temporarily suspending routine visa services at all U.S. Embassies and Consulates.

As of March 20th, 2020, embassies and consulates have canceled all routine immigrant and nonimmigrant visa appointments. As resources allow, embassies and consulates will continue to provide emergency and mission critical visa services. Overseas missions will resume routine visa services as soon as possible but are unable to provide a specific date at this time.

In many cases, however, embassies are still accepting a limited number of emergency visa appointment requests. Please visit the website for the U.S. embassy in the country where you are requesting an expedited interview and/or processing for specific guidance on how to make these requests and who might qualify for an emergency appointment. Applicants with an urgent matter and need to travel immediately should follow the guidance provided at the Embassy’s website to request an emergency appointment. 

Because of this, I will have to ask you to submit a request for assistance with this matter at a later date. I sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and look forward to working with you in the future.

Sincerely,

Alejandra Villa, MSW
Immigration Casework & Outreach Director
Office of U.S. Senator Patty Murray, Seattle | 206-553-5545

It's been a few months, so I'll give it another go!

Edited by supportdesk

Timeline
1 hour ago, Fabercham said:

Great post! I tried and basically got a copy and paste answer from the embassy forwarded on but I really think it’s with a shot! 

Great job contacting your rep! If you’d like to try another rep, ask them to reach out to the State Department in DC to relay your concerns and suggestions! 

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Timeline

Just sent letters to my 2 Senators tonight (Richard Burr and Thom Tillis).  Focused on asking them to contact State Department leadership about making K1 fiancé visas mission critical and also treating a valid K1 holder as an immediate family member for the purposes of travel restrictions. 

Who’s next!?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 hour ago, tris&kris said:

Just sent letters to my 2 Senators tonight (Richard Burr and Thom Tillis).  Focused on asking them to contact State Department leadership about making K1 fiancé visas mission critical and also treating a valid K1 holder as an immediate family member for the purposes of travel restrictions. 

Who’s next!?

I tried Burr.

I checked a few threads and a couple other EU embassies have said they are not processing routine visas until the travel ban is lifted 🤢. The only good news (for me, with an expired K1 visa due to travel ban) was Croatia who are accepting interview wavier requests for people renewing the same category of visa, so you could do it all by post if you’ve had one issued before... Croatia aren’t included in travel ban though, so perhaps that’s why they’re able to do this.

A few fellow Brit K1s have a petition we want to send to the US Ambassador to the U.K., I think I shared that link with you. 

We’ve just got to do all we can. This situation feels endless. Do we think Trump might lift the ban so students can get to the US ready for the fall semester? Who knows. 

Timeline

Good job contacting Burr! Tillis was super easy. All online no printing so give it a go!

We can’t predict the future but fortunately the U.K. and USA are close allies and travel between the nations will have to resume at some point and both sides have a vested interest in that occurring. No idea on the timeline but rest assured, it will happen. 

I have signed the petition that was in the U.K. subforum thank you for sharing. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I made a similar post, I dont know how I missed yours. I think this is amazing and its a time to unite our voices, be kind and helpful to each other. After all we are all in the same boat. Thank you for all of this useful information, If I had seen this I wouldnt have made my post as yours covers more. you added a lot of helpful information.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Aaab said:

I made a similar post, I dont know how I missed yours. I think this is amazing and its a time to unite our voices, be kind and helpful to each other. After all we are all in the same boat. Thank you for all of this useful information, If I had seen this I wouldnt have made my post as yours covers more. you added a lot of helpful information.

Thanks @Aaab! Don’t worry about duplication. The forum is a big place. It certainly does make you feel better to take action, no matter how small that may be. Make sure to post below once you contact your reps so we can thank you!

Timeline
6 minutes ago, emma24 said:

I have contacted both of my house representatives and my senator. I think this is a wonderful idea! I finally feel engaged and not just sitting and twiddling my thumbs waiting for something to happen. Thank you for a constructive post!!

Great job @emma24!! Let us know once you get a reply. Don’t be discouraged if it’s a copy

and paste at first. Continue reaching out. I’m now emailing back and forth with a staffer after my request. It’s all about being persistent BUT polite and respectful. Most representatives really do want to hear from their constituents. After all, we are potential voters if they can solve a problem for us.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I’ve contacted Mike Bost (Representative)

Richard Durbin and Tammy Duckworth. No response yet. 

wow they bleeped out Durbin’s first name. Lol

next I’m going to start calling

Edited by Dougefresh56

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.