Renee Bua

African Nation Citing Presidential Proclamation for Spouses of US Citizen

22 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

It seems some nations DO NOT consider spouses of US citizens exempt from the presidential proclamation. Should I involve a lawyer or a senator for our case? (I am seeing CR-1 spousal visas being issued in other nations, but it seems our nation misunderstands the ex. order). We tried to get an emergency visa stamping for my husband (CR-1 spousal), and we got denied and they cited the executive order about jobs. Can someone please explain this because I thought spouses of US citizens are exempt. Is our consulate misinterpreting the executive order?

Thank you for your email.

Please note that routine consular operations are currently suspended because of the COVID- 19 crisis. Therefore, we are unable to process the case at this time. More information regarding exceptions is provided on the link below in line with the presidential proclamation.

In the future when consular operations resume, we will review the case. You may monitor the same at www.travel.state.gov.

See also the announcement below:

24 April, 2020

On April 22, President Trump signed a proclamation suspending entry into the United States of certain immigrants who present risk to the U.S. labor market during the economic recovery following the COVID-19 outbreak. The proclamation is effective at 11:59 p.m. EDT on April 23 and expires in 60 days, unless continued by the President. U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, and those holding valid immigrant visas on the effective date of the Proclamation, are not subject to the proclamation. No valid visas will be revoked under this Proclamation. Routine visas services have been suspended at U.S. posts worldwide, but as resources allow, embassies and consulates will continue to provide emergency and mission critical visa services for applicants who are not subject to this presidential proclamation. The full text of the presidential proclamation is available on the White House website at: https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-suspending-entry-immigrants-present-risk-u-s-labor-market-economic-recovery-following-covid-19-outbreak/.

Please stay safe and healthy!

Good day.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

What do you mean you tried to get an "emergency visa stamping" I never heard of such a thing. What countries have you seen CR1 visas being issued at this time? It sounds more like you got denied because "routine consular operations are currently suspended because of the COVID- 19 crisis. Therefore, we are unable to process the case at this time. 

They put out a notice of what countries issue spousal visas every month. I DO see cases out there getting approved (visas are being issued) when they ask for an emergency expedite at the consulate. CR-1 spousal visas have even been issued in Germany and some of the hardest hit countries with covid-19. I will look for the link.

Edited by Renee Bua

Timeline
8 minutes ago, JFH said:

It depends on the embassy and whether they are open or not. That has nothing to do with misunderstanding the executive order on immigration. Embassies will reopen when the situation in the various countries reaches the point where it is considered safe to do so. Not before. 

I spoke with an attorney who advised me to email them again for clarification. The thing is, we have paid all this money for this process, and we don't deserve this quick canned response. What do we pay these people for!? He said if they blow me off again, I DO need to contact a congressman or senator.

Thanks

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Many foreign posts repatriated staff back to the USA.   They may simply not have enough to facilitate this request.  They also may have not agreed that your request was an emergent situation 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
1 hour ago, Renee Bua said:

I spoke with an attorney who advised me to email them again for clarification. The thing is, we have paid all this money for this process, and we don't deserve this quick canned response. What do we pay these people for!? He said if they blow me off again, I DO need to contact a congressman or senator.

Thanks

You are more than welcome to email them again and contact your local congressman. Not all emergent requests are truly emergent/meet the guidelines and dealing with a WORLD pandemic definitely slows things down, which should be obviously understandable. Immigration is not a right but a privilege 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

You are more than welcome to email them again and contact your local congressman. Not all emergent requests are truly emergent/meet the guidelines and dealing with a WORLD pandemic definitely slows things down, which should be obviously understandable. Immigration is not a right but a privilege 

I already know that I am more than welcome, but thanks for your reply. I have every right to inquire about my case.. We gave them our money and paid for this process and  these people are public /civil servants to us... I have a right through the law. 

I looked at the Frankfurt embassy website. It says that due to reduced staffing the immigrant visa unit is handling “emergency cases” only. What constitutes an emergency is largely irrelevant anyway as you are not going through the Frankfurt embassy but I would assume that this relates to spouses of military personnel who have been given orders to move, people whose period of authorized stay in Germany is about to expire and have to leave and are waiting for their immigrant visa to be issued and possibly humanitarian cases where the family member in the US is close to death and waiting for normal services to resume at the embassy might be too late. 

I don’t think a regular CR-1 case would be an emergency. Your situation is heartbreaking but by no means unique. There are spouses, parents, children, fiancés, siblings all over the world waiting for embassies to re-open so that they can proceed with their interviews and receive their visas to be reunited. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, JFH said:

I looked at the Frankfurt embassy website. It says that die to reduced staffing the immigrant visa unit is handling “emergency cases” only. What constitutes an emergency is largely irrelevant anyway as you are not going through the Frankfurt embassy anyway but I would assume that this relates to spouses of military personnel who have been given orders to move, people whose period of authorized stay in Germany is about to expire and have to leave and are waiting for their immigrant visa to be issued and possibly humanitarian cases where  the family member in the US is close to death and waiting for normal services to resume at the embassy might be too late. 

I don’t think a regular CR-1 case would be an emergency. Your situation is heartbreaking but by no means unique. There are spouses, parents, children, fiancés, siblings all over the world waiting for embassies to re-open so that they can proceed with their interviews and receive their visas to be reunited. 

I spoke to a woman in Germany who received her expedite because she has a financial hardship. My advice is for people to be proactive about your case if you do have an emergency. Do not let these people blow you off. If I see some movement I will post my results on my timeline for those interested. I am contacting my senator. This is YOUR case.

Edited by Renee Bua

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Renee Bua said:

I already know that I am more than welcome, but thanks for your reply. I have every right to inquire about my case.. We gave them our money and paid for this process and  these people are public /civil servants to us... I have a right through the law. 

And that’s what I said?

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
4 hours ago, Renee Bua said:

It seems some nations DO NOT consider spouses of US citizens exempt from the presidential proclamation. Should I involve a lawyer or a senator for our case? (I am seeing CR-1 spousal visas being issued in other nations, but it seems our nation misunderstands the ex. order). We tried to get an emergency visa stamping for my husband (CR-1 spousal), and we got denied and they cited the executive order about jobs. Can someone please explain this because I thought spouses of US citizens are exempt. Is our consulate misinterpreting the executive order?

Thank you for your email.

Please note that routine consular operations are currently suspended because of the COVID- 19 crisis. Therefore, we are unable to process the case at this time. More information regarding exceptions is provided on the link below in line with the presidential proclamation.

In the future when consular operations resume, we will review the case. You may monitor the same at www.travel.state.gov.

See also the announcement below:

24 April, 2020

On April 22, President Trump signed a proclamation suspending entry into the United States of certain immigrants who present risk to the U.S. labor market during the economic recovery following the COVID-19 outbreak. The proclamation is effective at 11:59 p.m. EDT on April 23 and expires in 60 days, unless continued by the President. U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, and those holding valid immigrant visas on the effective date of the Proclamation, are not subject to the proclamation. No valid visas will be revoked under this Proclamation. Routine visas services have been suspended at U.S. posts worldwide, but as resources allow, embassies and consulates will continue to provide emergency and mission critical visa services for applicants who are not subject to this presidential proclamation. The full text of the presidential proclamation is available on the White House website at: https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-suspending-entry-immigrants-present-risk-u-s-labor-market-economic-recovery-following-covid-19-outbreak/.

Please stay safe and healthy!

Good day.

We also tried to have an expedited interview at the Nairobi consulate and this is the message we received. There was no mention of the PP Executive order.

"Please note that All consular appointments, including immigrant visas, are cancelled because of the Government of Kenya's suspension of public gatherings. When services resume, updated guidance about appointment scheduling will be given. You may monitor the same at www.travel.state.gov. No additional information about scheduling is available at this time"

Stay safe and healthy.

kind regards....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.