Unlockable

Official Executive Order for Suspending Entry of Immigrants

824 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

Wow. Thankful that Chile considers k1 as immigrant visa instead of non. This is what I was told  by the embassy when the first EO was drafted. Hopefully they keep the same energy and open up soon. Fingers crossed. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
43 minutes ago, sl1pstream said:

Because it mentions everyone who doesn't currently have a visa.

I don’t know where you saw that, because that will mean tourist visas (b1/b2) are included. But this is what I saw. 

3E1524BF-9922-43A6-964E-8D0ED764D1E9.jpeg

Edited by NatashaK1

Timeline
3 minutes ago, BlackAfrodyte said:

Wow. Thankful that Chile considers k1 as immigrant visa instead of non. This is what I was told  by the embassy when the first EO was drafted. Hopefully they keep the same energy and open up soon. Fingers crossed. 

They can’t consider it as what it’s not. It’s a non immigrant visa it’s just processed like an immigrant visa. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
12 minutes ago, BlackAfrodyte said:

if Chile considers it as immigrant visa, that wouldn't be beneficial. As @Paul & Mary rightfully stated on page 49, the only family based visas that are currently not suspended are CR1/2, IR1/2/4 and IH4.

Timeline
16 minutes ago, NatashaK1 said:

They can’t consider it as what it’s not. It’s a non immigrant visa it’s just processed like an immigrant visa. 

Same difference. They process it as an immigrant visa. Their discretion. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Quarknase said:

if Chile considers it as immigrant visa, that wouldn't be beneficial. As @Paul & Mary rightfully stated on page 49, the only family based visas that are currently not suspended are CR1/2, IR1/2/4 and IH4.

Seeing as though it's up to them and their discretion,  I'm going by what they told me as K1 isn't specifically mentioned. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

Seeing as though it's up to them and their discretion,  I'm going by what they told me as K1 isn't specifically mentioned. 

K1 should not be affected by the ban since its a non-immigrant visa. I am just pointing out the potential challenge if an embassy decides to treat it as an immigrant visa - in that case it would be banned (through their eyes, not by the EO)

Timeline

Same difference. They process it as an immigrant visa. Their discretion. 

Immigrant visas have been suspended since April with some exceptions. And now you’re saying that k1’s are suspended at the Chile embassy and won’t be issued because Chile Embassy says it’s an immigrant visa? that’s tough! And nope an embassy can’t decide whether a visa category falls under an EO at their discretion. It doesn’t work like that. 

I think you should speak to someone else at your embassy. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Quarknase said:

K1 should not be affected by the ban since its a non-immigrant visa. I am just pointing out the potential challenge if an embassy decides to treat it as an immigrant visa - in that case it would be banned (through their eyes, not by the EO)

My thoughts exactly, at this point I think even the embassy staff are confused. Can’t blame them, there’s either a new travel ban or EO every other month. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, NatashaK1 said:

Immigrant visas have been suspended since April with some exceptions. And now you’re saying that k1’s are suspended at the Chile embassy and won’t be issued because Chile Embassy says it’s an immigrant visa? that’s tough! And nope an embassy can’t decide whether a visa category falls under an EO at their discretion. It doesn’t work like that. 

I think you should speak to someone else at your embassy. 

At first they said they do not consider it as a non immigrant visa, which I disagreed. I spoke with several individuals there but comes back the same. In the order it states "The consular officer shall determine, in his or her discretion, whether a nonimmigrant has established his or her eligibility for an exception in section 3(b) of this proclamation." According to them, "k1 isn't non immigrant" and they believe it's part of the ban. Who knows anymore. Things keep changing. 

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Quarknase said:

I promise it's like the reverse for them....oh God....lol

5 minutes ago, NatashaK1 said:

My thoughts exactly, at this point I think even the embassy staff are confused. Can’t blame them, there’s either a new travel ban or EO every other month. 

^This.

There's certainly confusion among general staff. I've been watching the FAM to see if there is any official guidance, as well as any memos I can find.

It simply will not be covered by the ban in one area and not in the other. If that were to even start to happen, I would expect a fairly quick injunction. The issue right now is a lack of clear guidance.

Note that this is separate from interview priorities. The consulate can prioritize certain categories over others, although a direct, indeterminate hold is more questionable.

This is also separate from holding on processing cases for which they believe one would be inadmissible, such as K-1 applicants in regions covered by a 14 days physical presence ban.

While technically those can still be issued and used (under the provision that the individuals will reside 14+ days in a non-banned country), the consulate may choose to hold their interviews as a means to enforce compliance with those EOs. Expecting people to take that approach may be deemed unreasonable.

Whether or not this would hold up to a legal challenge is a different matter...I'm unsure which way this would go.

2 minutes ago, BlackAfrodyte said:

At first they said they do not consider it as a non immigrant visa, which I disagreed. I spoke with several individuals there but comes back the same. In the order it states "The consular officer shall determine, in his or her discretion, whether a nonimmigrant has established his or her eligibility for an exception in section 3(b) of this proclamation." According to them, "k1 isn't non immigrant" and they believe it's part of the ban. Who knows anymore. Things keep changing. 

Yes, the CO determines if an exception from section 3 applies.

They do not get to arbitrarily determine what visa classes are covered by section 1 of the EO.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

8 minutes ago, jasonlzak said:

All we need at this time is an injunction from judges.

I'm sure there are a few ready in the 9th district.  But it is pretty hard due the emergency conditions.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.