Unlockable

Official Executive Order for Suspending Entry of Immigrants

824 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

Out of curiosity - what is the legal basis of an EO expiration date? If it expires on the 22nd, can it just be re-instated a couple of days later, or would this require a new EO (and if so, are there regulations or could it theoretically be copy + paste)?

Edited by Quarknase

1 hour ago, Quarknase said:

or would this require a new EO (and if so, are there regulations or could it theoretically be copy + paste)?

Yes, a new Proclamation. The new Proclamation can be copy + paste with just new dates.

1 hour ago, Quarknase said:

If it expires on the 22nd

A different possibility before the 22nd is a new Proclamation that explicitly amends the April Proclamation. As an example, the new Proclamation could say,

Section 1.  Amendment.  Section 4 is amended to read as follows: "Sec. 4.  Termination.  This proclamation shall expire 120 days from its effective date."

A recent example is the amendment Proclamation to the Brazil Proclamationhttps://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/president-amendment-proclamation-president-may-24-2020/

2 minutes ago, HRQX said:

Yes, a new Proclamation. The new Proclamation can be copy + paste with just new dates.

A different possibility before the 22nd is a new Proclamation that explicitly amends the April Proclamation. As an example, the new Proclamation could say,

A recent example is the amendment Proclamation to the Brazil Proclamationhttps://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/president-amendment-proclamation-president-may-24-2020/

Beat me to it...

Yeah, a new EO that just amends the termination date is the simplest approach. Little review is needed and it's meaning is very clear (versus a new EO that has to be reviewed and analyzed in its entirety).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

2 hours ago, HRQX said:

Or it could say "expires 1200 days from the effective date because I say so."

Timeline

So what does everyone expect is the likely outcome of all this, I was literally one month away from a green card interview as a F2B and now everything is up in the air.

How likely is it this will extend for longer than 6 months or a year or longer... anyone have any insights or theories as to what’s likely to happen?

Edited by marko1111

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline
2 hours ago, marko1111 said:

So what does everyone expect is the likely outcome of all this, I was literally one month away from a green card interview as a F2B and now everything is up in the air.

How likely is it this will extend for longer than 6 months or a year or longer... anyone have any insights or theories as to what’s likely to happen?

Very likely. There's a pandemic and a president who isn't a fan of migration in the first place. Expect this to last another while.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

Thank you @HRQX and @geowrian - yes, that’s somewhat what I expected. Wouldn’t be an executive order if it wasn’t like that.

I started doubting myself since everyone was so hyped for June 22nd to reach but since circumstances haven’t changed much I don’t think the date holds any weight wether an extension gets announced before or not. We’ll likely be dealing with this for a while.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline
5 hours ago, Cilllah said:

We have seen people enter. So this isn't even true?

Hi I'm new on this thread,  but I thought the same... I read about k1visa holders being able to enter the US without any problems... but  now I'm kinda nervous because  I'm flying at the end of the week from BsAs 🤦‍♀️

Maybe they mean k1 visa holders from Europe, due the previous ban from March?

6 minutes ago, Jonnat said:

Hi I'm new on this thread,  but I thought the same... I read about k1visa holders being able to enter the US without any problems... but  now I'm kinda nervous because  I'm flying at the end of the week from BsAs 🤦‍♀️

I am moving on the 14/07 and I am nervous too as so much can happen before then. But I am from Australia so it should be OK unless the ban K1 visas. Let me know how you go?

2 hours ago, Jonnat said:

Note that the email came from US Embassy Beirut, which isn't even in Europe. Regardless of what the email says, there isn't an universal ban on K-1. Also, those from Schengen Area, UK, etc. have been able to enter with K-1 after spending 14 days in an unrestricted country:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.