Unlockable

Official Executive Order for Suspending Entry of Immigrants

824 posts in this topic

On 5/27/2020 at 5:39 AM, Sparkle Sparkle said:

Exactly... Mexico 's been the destination for folks quarantining for 2 weeks then fly into the US

Thanks to all who replied...confirmed my suspicion.  Going to a 3rd country with 2 kids for 14 days is a non starter, who knows which country will be banned next! Will have to ride it out and see what happens in the next month. Hopefully we will be just have to only redo our meds and PCs which is a lot cheaper than 2 weeks in Mexico or a Caribbean country.

@geowrian Any thoughts on this latest executive order? https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-suspension-entry-nonimmigrants-certain-students-researchers-peoples-republic-china/  Also have you heard anything about other possible orders coming down the pipe that would affect other countries and/or other visa categories like the K visa? (I would've sent you a message but it says you're unable to receive them.) Thanks for your help :)

28 minutes ago, Ellie_7 said:

@geowrian Any thoughts on this latest executive order? https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-suspension-entry-nonimmigrants-certain-students-researchers-peoples-republic-china/  Also have you heard anything about other possible orders coming down the pipe that would affect other countries and/or other visa categories like the K visa? (I would've sent you a message but it says you're unable to receive them.) Thanks for your help :)

Just reading it now, but quick summary...

• Only impacts F and J visas
  • Does not impact anybody in the US right now
    • As written, it impacts those seeking said visas + likely anybody with an existing F or J visa that is not in the US...presumably current holders who exit the US would be included in this ban.
  • Of those, it excludes certain undergrads that would not contribute to "military-civil fusion strategy" topics. I don't know the details of this (the EO lists a definition but it's not a topic I'm familiar with to comment intelligently on).
  • Excludes LPRs (duh...they don't need a visa)
  • Excludes spouse of a USC or LPR
  • Excludes armed forces members and their spouses and children
  • Various other less common exclusions
  • Goes into effect at noon (EDT) on June 1st, 2020
  • No termination date is listed.
  • Further restrictions and measures may be recommended.

I don't want to minimize this too much, but this is a very limited EO. It only impacts a subset of F and J visas, and has a few exclusions on top of that.

Likely does not impact >99% of VJ users.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

14 minutes ago, geowrian said:

but this is a very limited EO.

Yup. From NYT: "The visa cancellation could affect at least 3,000 students, according to some official estimates. That is a tiny percentage of the approximately 360,000 Chinese students in the United States."

Also: "Two officials said targeting graduates of the military-linked schools gathered steam after the F.B.I. announced in January that it was seeking a Boston University student who had hidden her affiliation with the People’s Liberation Army when applying for a visa."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline
1 hour ago, Cilllah said:

So is this the part two we were waiting for.. Or is there more? I don't want to be relieved so soon.

There will be more. They can announce more restrictions outside of this two-parter and even this one has a "further restrictions maybe recommended" line.

43 minutes ago, sl1pstream said:

There will be more. They can announce more restrictions outside of this two-parter and even this one has a "further restrictions maybe recommended" line.

Just hoping I am safe as Australia is doing pretty good. Visa interview on Tuesday but I am not leaving until 14/7 as I can't.

28 minutes ago, Passaws said:

Visa was issued before the executive order

But visa category is F11

Then you are not subject to the proclamation that is the topic of this thread.

What is your current age? Where are you coming from? And where would you transit through? Depending on your answers to those questions you might be subject to the location-specific proclamation(s): https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/presidential-proclamation-coronavirus.html "All five proclamations provide exceptions to the restrictions for lawful permanent residents of the United States.  Some exceptions include, but are not limited to: foreign diplomats traveling to the United States on A or G visas and certain family members of U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents including; spouses, children (under the age of 21), parents (provided that his/her U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident child is unmarried and under the age of 21), and siblings (provided that both the sibling and the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident are unmarried and under the age of 21).  There is also an exception for air and sea crew traveling to the United States on C, D or C1/D visas."

Per the above, children over 21 are subject to the location-specific proclamations.

Edited by HRQX

Timeline
2 minutes ago, HRQX said:

Then you are not subject to the proclamation that is the topic of this thread.

What is your current age? Where are you coming from? And where would you transit through? Depending on your answers to those questions you might be subject to the location-specific proclamation(s): https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/presidential-proclamation-coronavirus.html "All five proclamations provide exceptions to the restrictions for lawful permanent residents of the United States.  Some exceptions include, but are not limited to: foreign diplomats traveling to the United States on A or G visas and certain family members of U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents including; spouses, children (under the age of 21), parents (provided that his/her U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident child is unmarried and under the age of 21), and siblings (provided that both the sibling and the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident are unmarried and under the age of 21).  There is also an exception for air and sea crew traveling to the United States on C, D or C1/D visas."

Per the above, children over 21 are subject to the location-specific proclamations.

Current age is 30

Coming from Nigeria and transit through Dubai 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
On 5/28/2020 at 5:28 PM, ashp65 said:

Thanks to all who replied...confirmed my suspicion.  Going to a 3rd country with 2 kids for 14 days is a non starter, who knows which country will be banned next! Will have to ride it out and see what happens in the next month. Hopefully we will be just have to only redo our meds and PCs which is a lot cheaper than 2 weeks in Mexico or a Caribbean country.

Please fill out your timeline so we know what visa you’re using. Spouses and children of USC don’t fall under the travel ban imo

7 minutes ago, Quarknase said:

Spouses and children of USC don’t fall under the travel ban imo

They are F3 so they are not subject to the proclamation that is the topic of this thread because their visas were issued before the effective date:

But they are subject to the UK and Ireland proclamation: https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-suspension-entry-immigrants-nonimmigrants-certain-additional-persons-pose-risk-transmitting-coronavirus-2/

Edited by HRQX

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
6 minutes ago, HRQX said:

Thanks - yes I was referring to that one which also excludes spouses and children of USC from the ban. I wasn’t sure about F3 but reading this:

(a)  Section 1 of this proclamation shall not apply to:

(i)     any lawful permanent resident of the United States;

(ii)    any alien who is the spouse of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident;

(iii)   any alien who is the parent or legal guardian of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, provided that the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident is unmarried and under the age of 21;

(iv)    any alien who is the sibling of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, provided that both are unmarried and under the age of 21;

(v)     any alien who is the child, foster child, or ward of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, or who is a prospective adoptee seeking to enter the United States pursuant to the IR-4 or IH-4 visa classifications;

It weirdly doesn’t specify under (v) that the child of USC needs to be underage. Which I interpreted means the principal applicant can travel, and will become LPR upon entry which then enables his spouse and children to follow under (ii) and (v) respectively. Or am I wrong?

17 minutes ago, Quarknase said:

It weirdly doesn’t specify under (v) that the child of USC needs to be underage. Which I interpreted means the principal applicant can travel, and will become LPR upon entry which then enables his spouse and children to follow under (ii) and (v) respectively. Or am I wrong?

Subsection (v) says "child." All immigration related proclamations treat "child" as under 21. This is confirmed by DOS: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/presidential-proclamation-coronavirus.html "All five proclamations provide exceptions to the restrictions for lawful permanent residents of the United States.  Some exceptions include, but are not limited to: foreign diplomats traveling to the United States on A or G visas and certain family members of U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents including; spouses, children (under the age of 21), parents (provided that his/her U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident child is unmarried and under the age of 21), and siblings (provided that both the sibling and the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident are unmarried and under the age of 21).  There is also an exception for air and sea crew traveling to the United States on C, D or C1/D visas."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.