Cheric ❤️

My K1 Visa is about to expire and all the courthouses are closed -- What should I do?

84 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Cheric ❤️ said:

Can we get marriage license online?

Nope.  Requires both parties to show up in person 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to moving Here and Your New Life, from K1 P&P~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
13 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Nope.  Requires both parties to show up in person 

Oh okay so we just wait when the courthouse is open. Thank you so much ☺️

2 hours ago, Cheric ❤️ said:

I'm here in the US now ,not yet married and my k1 visa was about to expired on April 22 and all the courthouse here in Illinois is closed , what should I do ? Which states that the courthouse are still open to get marriage license and get married? Any suggestion please 🥺

Your visa expires but you have a 90 day period where you don't overstay. The April 22nd was the last day you could have entered the US. This date is meaningless now because you're already here. If you marry within the 90 since your arrival, you'll be fine. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, little immigrant said:

Your visa expires but you have a 90 day period where you don't overstay. The April 22nd was the last day you could have entered the US. This date is meaningless now because you're already here. If you marry within the 90 since your arrival, you'll be fine. 

I'm already here in US January 24th and we didn't get married yet because my fiance was very busy at work and my 90 days will expired on April 22nd

In our county in North Central Pennsylvania the courthouses offer to issue marriage licenses upon appointment if it's urgent and you have a good reason... maybe other counties and states do that as well? 🤷‍♀️

Have you called and asked or explained your situation? I would give it a shot, if I were you.

Hello

I am in  Southern Iowa and can help if you can get a license.

Service Center : California Service Center on 2014-03-17Consulate : London, United KingdomI-129F Sent : 2014-03-10I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-14I-129F NOA2 : 2014-04-07NVC Received :4/21/2014NVC Left :4/23/2014Consulate Received :2014-04-29Packet 3 Received :2014-05-01Packet 3 Sent :2014-05-01Medical Complete: 2014-05-07Packet 4 Received :2014-5-31Interview Date :2014-06-06Visa Issued: 2014-06-10Visa Package Received: 2014-06-13Arrival at POE Seattle: 2014-6-13

Married 07/07/2014

AOS Timeline
AOS package mailed 08/08/2014 (Chicago Lockbox)
NOA date 8/13/2014
Biometrics done 09/14/2014
INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 10/31/2014
Approval e-mail 10/31/2014
Card production e-mail 12/27/2011
GREEN CARD ARRIVED 11/08/201

Employment Authorization Document
CIS Office : Chicago National Office
Filing Method : Mail
Filing Instance : First
Date Filed : 2014-08-04
NOA Date : 2014-08-13
RFE(s) :
Bio. Appt. : 2014-09-04
Approved Date : 2014-09-25
Date Card Received : 2014-10-03

ADVANCED Parole
CIS Office : Chicago National Office
Filing Method : Mail
Filing Instance :First
Date Filed : 2014-08-04
NOA Date : 2014-08-13
RFE(s) :
Date Received : 2014-10-03

ROC Timeline
ROC package mailed to CSC 10/13/2016
NOA1 date 10/17/2016
Biometrics date 12/8/2016

Interview: None
Card production ordered: 03/27/2018
10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED

Timeline
55 minutes ago, G Walters said:

Hello

I am in  Southern Iowa and can help if you can get a license.

Hi ☺️

We need to go there to get a marriage license? I really appreciate your help it just such a relief for me 🙏 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi! 

I live in Texas, so I can't particularly guide you to Illinois specifics, but the steps to get married are basically:

1. Obtain a marriage license  - these are issued by the court/county clerk office. If you don't know where to go, I would recommend Googling "where to get marriage license in [your county]" and that should provide you with some answers. Since courts/offices are closed, you may want to see if they have any way of issuing one based off your situation (as a few others have recommended).

2. Once your marriage license is valid - you can get married! (others have said that your license allows you to do a same-day marriage in Illinois; in Texas, for example, we had to wait 72 hours from the time the marriage license was given to us). So as long as your license is now valid for getting married, you can.

3. Anyone licensed or ordained can marry you (a judge, priest, minister, a friend, etc.) - as long as they have the legal and proper licensing to marry people. You don't have to get married in a courthouse, it's just a quick and easier option for a lot of people. G Walters offered to do the marriage for you guys which I'd probably take him up on if you can't find someone else to do it and you are in a bind.

4. Sign and seal - after you are married, typically you sign and/or the administrator of the marriage SIGNS your marriage license. In Texas, you can mail it back to the court or drop it off in person so the marriage can be officially recorded. I would probably wait and drop it off as soon as possible when the courthouses reopen. You will need several CERTIFIED COPIES of the marriage license to submit with your Adjustment of Status and other things. You should get these copies done the day you drop off your license (if it's allowed). 

Again - Illinois might be a little different on the steps, including step #4 so I would follow the guidance of those that are more knowledgeable to the state of Illinois :) Good luck! 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, KBCN said:

Hi! 

I live in Texas, so I can't particularly guide you to Illinois specifics, but the steps to get married are basically:

1. Obtain a marriage license  - these are issued by the court/county clerk office. If you don't know where to go, I would recommend Googling "where to get marriage license in [your county]" and that should provide you with some answers. Since courts/offices are closed, you may want to see if they have any way of issuing one based off your situation (as a few others have recommended).

2. Once your marriage license is valid - you can get married! (others have said that your license allows you to do a same-day marriage in Illinois; in Texas, for example, we had to wait 72 hours from the time the marriage license was given to us). So as long as your license is now valid for getting married, you can.

3. Anyone licensed or ordained can marry you (a judge, priest, minister, a friend, etc.) - as long as they have the legal and proper licensing to marry people. You don't have to get married in a courthouse, it's just a quick and easier option for a lot of people. G Walters offered to do the marriage for you guys which I'd probably take him up on if you can't find someone else to do it and you are in a bind.

4. Sign and seal - after you are married, typically you sign and/or the administrator of the marriage SIGNS your marriage license. In Texas, you can mail it back to the court or drop it off in person so the marriage can be officially recorded. I would probably wait and drop it off as soon as possible when the courthouses reopen. You will need several CERTIFIED COPIES of the marriage license to submit with your Adjustment of Status and other things. You should get these copies done the day you drop off your license (if it's allowed). 

Again - Illinois might be a little different on the steps, including step #4 so I would follow the guidance of those that are more knowledgeable to the state of Illinois :) Good luck! 

Thank you so much 🙏 You guys help me alot of this and I really appreciate it ☺️

14 hours ago, Cheric ❤️ said:

I don't know when is the courthouse here in Illinois will open , I hope that they will open before April 22nd

Your K1 expired the instant you entered the USA.  What matters is the 90 days after entry (your I-94).  Can you finish your timeline?

(I read further)

Okay if you entered on 1/24 you are right, your 90 days is up on 4/23. 

Hopefully the info others have gave you will help! Best wishes

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
25 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Your K1 expired the instant you entered the USA.  What matters is the 90 days after entry (your I-94).  Can you finish your timeline?

(I read further)

Okay if you entered on 1/24 you are right, your 90 days is up on 4/23. 

Hopefully the info others have gave you will help! Best wishes

Yes , Thank you so much ☺️ 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

It looks like Iowa hasn't implemented a stay-at-home order yet, so you might still be able to get married there. A lot of Missouri counties have issued stay-at-home orders, but it isn't state wide yet so you might be able to get married somewhere in MO as well. 

NY Times list of states with stay-at-home/shelter-in-place orders

Good luck! 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Timeline
15 minutes ago, usmsbow said:

It looks like Iowa hasn't implemented a stay-at-home order yet, so you might still be able to get married there. A lot of Missouri counties have issued stay-at-home orders, but it isn't state wide yet so you might be able to get married somewhere in MO as well. 

NY Times list of states with stay-at-home/shelter-in-place orders

Good luck! 

I'm searching now where is the open courthouses in Missouri and Iowa ☺️ Thank you 🙏

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.