28 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
On 11/15/2019 at 5:59 AM, bandito said:

Hi all, I had my interview yesterday and got approved so now I'm trying to figure out the last few things before I leave. What health insurance should I be going for before I get my greencard? Will health insurance for tourism/travelling be adequate or should I be already getting something more permanent? I've seen most people recommending getting on your fiancee/spouse's insurance (usually through their employer) but my fiancee is unemployed and on Medi-Cal so that's not an option for me. I basically want to know 1) what kind of insurance to get when I first enter and 2) what to change to when I get my greencard. Any advice or recomendations?

1.  You will need private insurance.  Google "K-1 visa insurance" and you will find several options.

2.  You will need private insurance.  You will not qualify for the ACA marketplace because you and your wife will not meet the income requirements.  You will need either private insurance or get it from your employer.   The private insurance that is available to you will be state specific since not all insurance companies cover the entire US.  

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, Nitas_man said:

OP’s in for a huge wake up

I saw your full unedited comment as it was emailed to me, our joint sponsor makes $52,000 a year and works a stable job he’s passionate about. That’s well over 125% above the poverty line. He’s not the only person we have to support us financially either. We have it taken care of friend. Believe me. You do not need to worry about our financial situation. And nobody would know that better than me. We are good! That is all I need to say on this topic. I don’t know what more I could provide short of bank statements to ease your mind here. I understand that many people on this website are in a more desperate financial situation than we are, and of course this is unfortunate for them and not fair at all, but that is simply not the case for us unless my bank account and all of my family members’ bank accounts get hacked by international scammer groups and our money is electronically transferred directly to the Indian suburbs and my family members all simultaneously lose their jobs and their various rental properties are set aflame. Thanks for your concern, but this is not a concern for us. 

"Well, I Was Sleeping, Y'Know, And My Mother, Who Passed When I Was Very Young, Y'Know, She Appeared In A Dream, Y'Know, And She Told Me, Y'Know, Very Gently To Just Let It Be, And So The Next Morning I Went Right Over To The Piano, Y'Know, And I Began To, Y'Know, Write The Song, Y'Know"

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
20 minutes ago, mogiftney said:

I saw your full unedited comment as it was emailed to me, our joint sponsor makes $52,000 a year and works a stable job he’s passionate about. That’s well over 125% above the poverty line. He’s not the only person we have to support us financially either. We have it taken care of friend. Believe me. You do not need to worry about our financial situation. And nobody would know that better than me. We are good! That is all I need to say on this topic. I don’t know what more I could provide short of bank statements to ease your mind here. I understand that many people on this website are in a more desperate financial situation than we are, and of course this is unfortunate for them and not fair at all, but that is simply not the case for us unless my bank account and all of my family members’ bank accounts get hacked by international scammer groups and our money is electronically transferred directly to the Indian suburbs and my family members all simultaneously lose their jobs and their various rental properties are set aflame. Thanks for your concern, but this is not a concern for us. 

I’m not worried about you.  I have however seen a lot of beneficiaries get stranded in limbo because they got “sponsored for christmas” (christmas money’s truly, truly a whole brand new way though LOL that’s really funny) and their petitioners couldn’t or wouldn’t come through when the beneficiary was trapped here and it really mattered at the AOS stage.

With that said I did choose to walk by this upcoming train wreck with no further comment.  Probably not a good idea to solicit any further feedback?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
35 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

I’m not worried about you.  I have however seen a lot of beneficiaries get stranded in limbo because they got “sponsored for christmas” (christmas money’s truly, truly a whole brand new way though LOL that’s really funny) and their petitioners couldn’t or wouldn’t come through when the beneficiary was trapped here and it really mattered at the AOS stage.

With that said I did choose to walk by this upcoming train wreck with no further comment.  Probably not a good idea to solicit any further feedback?

I’m gonna leave you with this.

1. My fiancée isn’t sponsored by a Starbucks gift card I got from my auntie on Christmas morning. No further detail necessary.

2. It sounds to me like these people shouldn’t have been getting married in the first place. If you’re going to abandon your fiancee or spouse then you’re a real POS.  Luckily, neither of us are sociopaths. Is your advice for nobody to pursue a K1 visa just because some people are abandoned by their fiancées/spouses? I’ve said nothing to imply that I would do this. 

3. Do you mean that we shouldn’t ask for advice on a topic that’s unrelated to my employment status because a mass quantity of people on this website can’t stop leaping on the opportunity to tell someone to get a job?

“Hey guys how can I obtain health insurance on a K1 visa?”

“GET A JOB!!!!!”

“Hey visajourney, what do you like eating for breakfast?”

”WHY AREN’T YOU IN AN OFFICE BUILDING DYING INSIDE LIKE WE ARE!!!”

Every. Single. Post. Without. Fail.

Yet, I’m still not bankrupt! Unemployed =/= broke. Unemployed =/= abandoning your loved one.

Neither my fiancée or I wanted to discuss my employment when this post was made. I don’t know why the mods let this keep being the end result of every post we make... My fiancée just wanted more info about health insurance. I may as well just make a new account to ask for advice and say I work at Jamba Juice so you guys get off of my back and we get the useful relevant information we need without the uninvited hassle!

Let me close with this. I get receiving a genuine inquiry about my financial situation. Some people may not be familiar with me and the 1,000 times I’ve explained it. That’s fine. But after I explain it, it’s never good enough. 

Edited by mogiftney

"Well, I Was Sleeping, Y'Know, And My Mother, Who Passed When I Was Very Young, Y'Know, She Appeared In A Dream, Y'Know, And She Told Me, Y'Know, Very Gently To Just Let It Be, And So The Next Morning I Went Right Over To The Piano, Y'Know, And I Began To, Y'Know, Write The Song, Y'Know"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There are no good immediate options for a K1. Look for new immigrant insurance but it is all pretty #######.

### soon as you get here you can but 'regular' insurance from your preferred insurance company but it will take a while to sort out.

You will have a long wait for EAD before you can get a job, obviously look for one with good health insurance.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

@mogiftney although you are not the OP it seems you are the other half of the couple correct? I can understand your frustrations with whats been posted but you should understand why you are getting such replies. When its posted that someone is receiving welfare benefits but then also posts how they are in fact financially stable its an issue for many readers. You can not both be qualified for welfare AND financially stable. If you are in fact receiving financial support from family that needs to be disclosed to social services and in most cases it means you will no longer qualify for welfare.

16 minutes ago, Villanelle said:

@mogiftney although you are not the OP it seems you are the other half of the couple correct? I can understand your frustrations with whats been posted but you should understand why you are getting such replies. When its posted that someone is receiving welfare benefits but then also posts how they are in fact financially stable its an issue for many readers. You can not both be qualified for welfare AND financially stable. If you are in fact receiving financial support from family that needs to be disclosed to social services and in most cases it means you will no longer qualify for welfare.

She isn't on welfare. Medi-Cal =/= welfare. Medi-Cal is available for anyone who makes less than $17k a year. My fiancee is unemployed, and the money she gets from her family every year is a gift and not taxble so wouldn't count towards her 'income'. It's also below $17k anyway, so either way it doesn't matter. She doesn't have huge bills or rent to pay, she is supported by her family. She is stable but still qualifies for Medi-Cal. 

Medi-Cal is CA's Medicaid program. Medicaid is a form of welfare. Any income-based public support system would generally be considered a form of welfare.

That's not to say anything about its merits, needs, or eligibility (CA makes Medi-Cal available to new immigrants via state funds). But is it a form of welfare.

Edit: I'm not trying to get hung-up on specific definitions...just calling it as I see it and how it is generally understood.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

You will have a long wait for EAD before you can get a job, obviously look for one with good health insurance.

Does not sound like getting a job is in the plans for either party.

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
3 hours ago, bandito said:

She isn't on welfare. Medi-Cal =/= welfare. Medi-Cal is available for anyone who makes less than $17k a year. My fiancee is unemployed, and the money she gets from her family every year is a gift and not taxble so wouldn't count towards her 'income'. It's also below $17k anyway, so either way it doesn't matter. She doesn't have huge bills or rent to pay, she is supported by her family. She is stable but still qualifies for Medi-Cal. 

https://www.chhs.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/CHHS-Public-Charge-Guide-FINAL-9.10.2019-Accessible-Version.pdf

Seems nobody told you that anyone over 21 on Medi-Cal who does not fall under specifically defined circumstances (emergency, pregnant, etc) is legally classified as a public charge.

4 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Does not sound like getting a job is in the plans for either party.

My fiancee is going to be studying. I fully intend to work as soon as I am able to. Nothing we've said even implies that neither of us intend to work so perhaps you should think before being so judgmental. The rampant jealousy from people on this website when they hear that my fiancee is unemployed but still secure financially is hillarious. I'm sorry that you're working a dead-end job to make ends meet and bring your fiance(e) to the US. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~~Closed for review~~~

***Review of thread complete; one post violating the below quoted provision of the TOS removed.  Additionally, due to this thread degrading into back and forth bickering, it will remain locked to further discussion.***

By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree that when using the Service, you will not:

• Use inappropriate or offensive language that is sexually oriented, sexually suggestive, abusive, defamatory, obscene, profane, or hateful.

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.