Firenz&Taylor

Fraudulent cases slowing us down

13 posts in this topic

I look at the rates of denial for AOS for K1 visas which is 18,000 out of 43,000 according to this page https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/NIVWorkload/FY2018NIVWorkloadbyVisaCategory.pdf

Maybe not all of these numbers are fraudulent, but it is incredibly frustrating that these people apply for these visas illegally and slow it down for the rest of us.

My partner and I have been waiting for over a year now in NY (4 years after meeting) and are deeply in love. I wonder how much faster our case would have processed without fraudulent cases slowing us down.

I have made this thread to point out to others that if you know of anyone undertaking marriage fraud, now or in the future, report them to the ICE here: https://www.ice.gov/webform/hsi-tip-form

6 hours ago, Firenz&Taylor said:

I look at the rates of denial for AOS for K1 visas which is 18,000 out of 43,000 according to this page https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/NIVWorkload/FY2018NIVWorkloadbyVisaCategory.pdf

Maybe not all of these numbers are fraudulent, but it is incredibly frustrating that these people apply for these visas illegally and slow it down for the rest of us.

My partner and I have been waiting for over a year now in NY (4 years after meeting) and are deeply in love. I wonder how much faster our case would have processed without fraudulent cases slowing us down.

I have made this thread to point out to others that if you know of anyone undertaking marriage fraud, now or in the future, report them to the ICE here: https://www.ice.gov/webform/hsi-tip-form

Agree with everyone else who replied. There is no evidence that a denial is because of fraud. In fact, it is somewhat irresponsible to draw a conclusion like this just off numbers alone. There are other reasons for denials. There was a thread a while ago where a person got denied because they did not respond to an RFE in time. How is that fraud?

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

*** Moved to General Immigration-Related Discussion

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

13 hours ago, Firenz&Taylor said:

Fraudulent cases are not slowing things down.

There is nothing to suggest in the chart that denials were the result of fraud. A person has a legal right to apply for the visa - however they do not have a legal right to be approved. People are denied all the time. Some for good reasons, some for not good reasons, and most have nothing to do with fraud.

Yes you've been waiting a year. And? So many thousands. So did many thousands before you even started on this journey. None of it has anything to do with the reasons you assume.

K1s used to take a long time, perhaps even far longer than you have been waiting now based on where you sent the application. Some would wait years vs someone that waited barely a week. Administrations come and go. They change things and make tweaks to policies, and there are only so many employees that can handle a case at a time. Sometimes the USCIS shifts cases onto other locations to help balance the load, it helps for a time, before it all backs up once again. K1s got pretty fast for a while, and now have slowed again.

We all love our spouses and went through the process. There is nothing fast about it and we had to wait it out. If you think this is bad.. wait until you get to AOS.. or ROC.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

That’s a bold conclusion that every denial is due to fraud. Actual fraud would very likely be a minority of those denials - most are temporary denials pending paperwork, background checks, etc. Some people have waivable inadmissibilities and the waiver takes around a year. Some people are not so lucky.

Ineligibility for a visa is very different than fraud. Don’t mix the two.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

the process is slow not because of fraud but because of the sheer number of applications 

According to this site

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/AnnualReports/FY2018AnnualReport/FY18AnnualReport - TableI.pdf

there were 9,028,026 non immigrant visas issued of which K1 is a section of that number

and that does not even begin to say how many applications are received

We were first denied a K1 and married and reapplied CR1 and he is now a citizen   /  no fraud ./married 9 and a half years now

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
21 hours ago, Firenz&Taylor said:

I am wondering what’s wrong with your case that makes it take a year to get approved.

1 hour ago, Nitas_man said:

I am wondering what’s wrong with your case that makes it take a year to get approved.

It isn’t clear from the OP where in the process they are, not is there a timeline.  

In some jurisdictions it is currently taking a year or more just to get an interview.

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
5 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

It isn’t clear from the OP where in the process they are, not is there a timeline.  

In some jurisdictions it is currently taking a year or more just to get an interview.

Just curiosity.  10 years ago the only answer OP would have gotten was the “fill in your timeline” emoji.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.