SusieQQQ

New Healthcare Requirements for US Immigrants

1,033 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Zubaria12 said:

I have medicaid 

Sorry the spouse cannot use medicaid. That's the way it's always been. You will need to find them insurance via any of the legal methods available for them.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
On 10/15/2019 at 11:56 AM, yuna628 said:

Does the insurance really have to do what? Add a spouse without an SSN? Yes they do. It's the law. And that pre-dates Trump significantly. I even remember browsing over the training materials given to advisers for those signing people up on the exchanges teaching them the SSN was not needed, and furthermore there was regulation that potentially allowed someone a SQLE if their insurance wrongfully denied coverage because of ignorance.

As much as I do not care for the new regulations and the headaches it creates, an insurance company employee being ignorant and unwilling has nothing to do with the current administration. That's been going on for ages. Trump's proclamation (not executive order.. there's a difference) does not change that.

Yeah,  it was years ago now, so I don't know if they were an inept employee or what. The insurance company was Avmed. I didn't force it because 1) I accepted what they said to be true, 2) there was no law so it wasn't a big deal then, and 3) I didn't know that I was going to be penalized in my taxes. Fortunately, my husband has finished and is already a citizen, and fortunately, I work for a job where we have good healthcare. I can just see that this is going to add extra difficulties for a lot of people. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline
On 10/15/2019 at 1:57 AM, crbabelgium said:

Apologies in advance if I am posting on the wrong thread but this thread seemed appropriate for my current situation.  I am U.S Citizen.  My parents who are currently in the U.S visiting me on a 5 year B2 visa have decided to relocate to the U.S permanently.  They saw their grand children for the first time and are smitten by them and decided they want to be part of their lives.  They had no intention on staying in the U.S and were visiting us for 3 months leaving in Jan but now I am exploring filing an AOS for them while they are already here.  I went through this process years ago for my spouse whom is a U.S citizen now and did AOS for them while they were already here on B2 and we fell in love and got married.  I was able to add my spouse to my employer provided health insurance w/out SSN back then but my coverage doesn't apply to parents.  My question is what type of health insurance should they purchase?  They have traveler's insurance that they purchased for their trip but reading the forum it doesn't appear that qualifies in their case with this new rule.  Can someone guide me if they or I can purchase insurance for them via the ACA marketplace?  Any insurance vendors you recommend?  Plz keep in mind they are already in the U.S on B2 visa doing AOS.  They and I have the financial means to purchase insurance.  Both are over 65 years of age.  It hasn't been 30 days since they arrived in the U.S. 

P.S They are former GC holders who got GC in the 90s but never chose to settle in the U.S due to their careers and surrendered their GCs while receiving their B2 visas. 

P.S.S Their 5 year B2 visa expires next year in Feb and they have return ticket to leave country before then.  Do you recommend they return to their country and we apply for their GC from there?  Even then it seems with this new rule we should get their health insurance in U.S sorted out for that.

Bump. And also good luck - 

I'm also looking for health insurance options for my wife's father. He is a widower and citizen of Thailand. He has obtained a 10 year B2 tourist visa already, but we recently applied for him to come on an IR-5 family based visa for parent. He does have assets in Thailand (property, savings), and of course we have ours (home, savings, both working and salaried full time). Unfortunately, my employer doesn't seem to have an option to add a parent to our insurance until after 12 months since they make you prove he/she has lived with you for at least 12 months prior to applying. 

K-1 Visa

11-08-2010: I-129F sent to USCIS.
11-15-2010: NOA1 received.
4-27-2011: NOA2 sent out.
5-5-2011: NVC confirmation sent.
5-30-2011: Packet 3 received from US Embassy in Bangkok.
6-28-2011: Packet 3 sent to US Embassy.
7-28-2011: Packet 4 and interview appointment notification received.
8-30-2011: Interview appointment: Approved.
10-24-2011: My fiance arrived in the US!
12-9-2011: Married!
12-23-2011: I-485/I-765/I-131 submitted to Chicago lockbox.
12-29-2011: I-485/I-765/I-131 materials received.
1-23-2012: Notice of transfer of I-485 application to California.
2-3-2012: Bio-metrics.
3-2-2012: EAD/AP Approved/Received.
8-29-2012: I-485 Approved.
9-4-2012: Conditional Green Card Received.

5-19-2014: I-751 sent to California Service Center.

5-21-2014: I-797 NOA receipt issued.

7-9-2014: I-797 NOA Biometrics appt issued.

7-23-2014: Biometrics appt.

9-11-2014: AOS Lifted.

9-19-2014: 10 Year Green Card Received.

8-17-2015: N-400 sent to Arizona.

8-21-2015: NOA.

9-18-2015: Biometrics appointment

11-19-2015: Interview passed!

Citizenship!

Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline

Hi - 

I'm a bit confused about Trump's healthcare insurance ruling (https://www.politico.com/f/?id=0000016d-9904-dbde-a17d-9dc451db0001 ) and its potential impact on my parents immigration.

Situation:

- I am a US Citizen. My household income puts me in the top 2% of the US earning population; I am not going to be impacted by the new or existing public charge rules.

- I have sponsored my parents for their green cards (IR-5); they received their immigration visa late last month

- They want to come to the US in Jan 2020; however, we read about Trump's new healthcare insurance ruling (wef Nov 3).

I am generally concerned about the unknown and unnecessary harassment that my senior citizen parents may be subjected to, hence posting here to get some feedback.

Questions:

1. We are confused about the impact of this new ruling when my parents arrive at the port of entry. Do they need to carry 364 day visitor health insurance with them at the time of entry?

(Given a preference, I would rather not buy a 364 day visitor insurance for them at the time they arrive since it's possible they may have to travel internationally within the year again)

2. [After Nov 3, 2019] Does the ruling only apply to those applying for an immigration visa or does it even apply to those who have received the immigration visa but haven't entered the US?

3.  Does the ruling even apply to IR-5 immigrants? The ruling says that it does not apply to IR-5 provided the immigrants are able to prove to the consular officer that they won't be a burden on the US system ("any alien seeking to enter the United States pursuant to an IR-5 visa, provided that the alien or the alien's sponsor demonstrates to the satisfaction of the consular officer that the alien's healthcare will not impose a substantial burden on the United States healthcare system"). Since the interview with the consular officer is already over (and my parents have obtained their immigration visa... but are not green card holders yet), does this ruling even apply?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 hours ago, rick313 said:

Bump. And also good luck - 

I'm also looking for health insurance options for my wife's father. He is a widower and citizen of Thailand. He has obtained a 10 year B2 tourist visa already, but we recently applied for him to come on an IR-5 family based visa for parent. He does have assets in Thailand (property, savings), and of course we have ours (home, savings, both working and salaried full time). Unfortunately, my employer doesn't seem to have an option to add a parent to our insurance until after 12 months since they make you prove he/she has lived with you for at least 12 months prior to applying. 

Being able to add a Parent to your Employers plan is extremely unusual, I have only come across it once before, I would double check the deal and if the Employer is subsidising the cost.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, wisedog said:

Hi - 

I'm a bit confused about Trump's healthcare insurance ruling (https://www.politico.com/f/?id=0000016d-9904-dbde-a17d-9dc451db0001 ) and its potential impact on my parents immigration.

Situation:

- I am a US Citizen. My household income puts me in the top 2% of the US earning population; I am not going to be impacted by the new or existing public charge rules.

- I have sponsored my parents for their green cards (IR-5); they received their immigration visa late last month

- They want to come to the US in Jan 2020; however, we read about Trump's new healthcare insurance ruling (wef Nov 3).

I am generally concerned about the unknown and unnecessary harassment that my senior citizen parents may be subjected to, hence posting here to get some feedback.

Questions:

1. We are confused about the impact of this new ruling when my parents arrive at the port of entry. Do they need to carry 364 day visitor health insurance with them at the time of entry?

(Given a preference, I would rather not buy a 364 day visitor insurance for them at the time they arrive since it's possible they may have to travel internationally within the year again)

2. [After Nov 3, 2019] Does the ruling only apply to those applying for an immigration visa or does it even apply to those who have received the immigration visa but haven't entered the US?

3.  Does the ruling even apply to IR-5 immigrants? The ruling says that it does not apply to IR-5 provided the immigrants are able to prove to the consular officer that they won't be a burden on the US system ("any alien seeking to enter the United States pursuant to an IR-5 visa, provided that the alien or the alien's sponsor demonstrates to the satisfaction of the consular officer that the alien's healthcare will not impose a substantial burden on the United States healthcare system"). Since the interview with the consular officer is already over (and my parents have obtained their immigration visa... but are not green card holders yet), does this ruling even apply?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

1. Applies to those going to interviews before getting visa. Can't say border officials won't give issues at port of entry but this rule is targeting those still in visa application process.

2. See point 1 it should not apply to them but nothing is guaranteed with entry.

3. Yes the ruling applies to IR-5 visa applicants but differently then the main peice of ruling, for IR-5 they are mainly looking that one can afford their own healthcare vs actually requiring proof of healthcare being obtained. Not sure what exactly that means hopefully more guidance will come on what they are looking for, but I imagine it's looking at funds available to provide for healthcare. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
49 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Being able to add a Parent to your Employers plan is extremely unusual, I have only come across it once before, I would double check the deal and if the Employer is subsidising the cost.

My wife works for a hospital organization and we have our insurance through her employment. They are quite generous with the coverage and she is able to add me (spouse), her parents and even my parents (spouse's parents).

My employer won't add my spouse (CR-1), so what are my options then? The only ones I could think of would be like:

- I can wait till November 1 and enroll in Marketplace Healthplan and then write a letter stating that I would include her in my plan once she is here

OR

- I can buy her traveler insurance for a few months or maybe upto a year

OR

- I can show we have enough to cover foreseeable health insurance cost, but I have no idea what would be a good amount to aim for?

Please let me know what you guys think. 

Edit: And do we need this proof during the interview or at the port of entry?

Edited by RipNivi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 minutes ago, RipNivi said:

My employer won't add my spouse (CR-1), so what are my options then? The only ones I could think of would be like:

- I can wait till November 1 and enroll in Marketplace Healthplan and then write a letter stating that I would include her in my plan once she is here

OR

- I can buy her traveler insurance for a few months or maybe upto a year

OR

- I can show we have enough to cover foreseeable health insurance cost, but I have no idea what would be a good amount to aim for?

Please let me know what you guys think. 

Edit: And do we need this proof during the interview or at the port of entry?

The rule states that it applies to people applying for a visa.....that is done at the interview.........At the POE, a person is applying for admittance into the US....  It is yet to be seen exactly what is satisfactory......and it could vary from consulate to consulate.....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Hi there,

I just went to every page in this thread and I am as confused as I was before. 

- I (beneficiary) am in Argentina, waiting for my consular interview to be held on Oct 23rd for a IR. Visa.

- My wife (petitioner) is in the US, in Colorado, with health insurance through her employer.

- Her employers refuse to write a letter saying that they will enroll me when I get in the states because we married in 2015

- My wife doesn't have enough savings to show that she'll pay for my insurance out of pocket (we are using a co-sponsor)

Any advice on what should we bring to the interview? We are freaking out right now and we want to be prepared.

Thanks in advance

2 hours ago, Talo said:

Hi there,

I just went to every page in this thread and I am as confused as I was before. 

- I (beneficiary) am in Argentina, waiting for my consular interview to be held on Oct 23rd for a IR. Visa.

- My wife (petitioner) is in the US, in Colorado, with health insurance through her employer.

- Her employers refuse to write a letter saying that they will enroll me when I get in the states because we married in 2015

- My wife doesn't have enough savings to show that she'll pay for my insurance out of pocket (we are using a co-sponsor)

Any advice on what should we bring to the interview? We are freaking out right now and we want to be prepared.

Thanks in advance

I am in the same situation and feel pretty much the same way.  But from what I have read so far, it feels like the policy goes in effect on Nov 3 (unless it gets blocked by the federal judges), so anything before that should be OK. 

Edited by RipNivi

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:28 AM, sbarbie1914 said:

It is open enrollment for my state provided health insurance now.  From what I read in their provided materials is that I can add a foreign spouse to my insurance as long as I provide a valid marriage certificate, and also for my step children with birth certificates showing my husband as the biological father.  So, I was in the process of filling out the necessary information online and it asked for a SS# or Tax ID number.  I was planning on getting the Tax ID number when I file joint income taxes around February or so.  I called the benefits provider to find out if I could give them the Tax ID number at a later time.  The young woman put me on hold several times to apparently ask a supervisor.  They ended up telling me that I would have to wait until next open enrollment, meaning my husband and children will not have health insurance until 2021.  The way it looks now, with this new law going into effect, I may have to have some kind of temporary health coverage until then.  Either that or my workplace benefits catch up with the new law going into effect and allow immigrant family members to be added outside of the open enrollment period.  Bummer :(

There is no law requiring a SSN for health care.........You might have to go up the chain of command, but they should add you if you qualify.....

I have had some experience with insurance companies and my immigrant wife. My auto insurance company insisted that my state, Washington, had a law that said all people in the household over 17 had to be listed on the policy as drivers. This was before my wife had her green card so of course she couldn't drive. I explained the circumstances to the company but not only did the insist on listing her but they also raised my rates. I sent an e mail to my state insurance commissioner mentioning the name of the insurance company and immediately the commissioners office sent an inquiry to the company. In a couple of weeks I got a letter from the company basically 2 stepping their way out of what they had done and saying they were refunding my premium. It pays to go to the top!

Also, as to the business of immigrants having health insurance, my wife just had her AOS interview 3 weeks ago and it was very casual. We were very prepared EXCEPT for the very close examination of her health insurance. She had her insurance card with her of course but the interviewer wanted very detailed info about when it was purchased, how it was paid, how long the policy was for. This all had to shown with paper documents. 

I don't know if this is a reflection of new pressure by USCIS or what?

11 hours ago, RipNivi said:

I am in the same situation and feel pretty much the same way.  But from what I have read so far, it feels like the policy goes in effect on Nov 3 (unless it gets blocked by the federal judges), so anything before that should be OK. 

I thought the same as well but on A Facebook group somebody told that he was recently denied on this grounds. Only one case thought but we want to be prepared in case it comes up in the interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, Talo said:

I thought the same as well but on A Facebook group somebody told that he was recently denied on this grounds. Only one case thought but we want to be prepared in case it comes up in the interview.

Was that person denied due to the public charge rule...or was he denied for no health insurance?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

On 10/17/2019 at 5:53 AM, missileman said:

The rule states that it applies to people applying for a visa.....that is done at the interview.........At the POE, a person is applying for admittance into the US....  It is yet to be seen exactly what is satisfactory......and it could vary from consulate to consulate.....

So one thing I read and it goes to the DOS public charge changes is they are trying to bring DOS inline with DHS because at POE it's the DHS rules that apply, but since they are currently blocked from new rules right now POE shouldn't have any extra requirements, of course you never know whats going to happen when coming in to country, but afaik they should not be checking at this point. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.