Maggzz

SSN Card Help on K1 Visa

60 posts in this topic

On 9/23/2019 at 11:32 AM, Maggzz said:

In short, I'm currently here in the US under a K1 visa. I arrived in August and got married a week ago in Sept. We went to the SSA office and were told we could not get a SSN yet.  Help!

Details:

I arrived here last Aug 16, 2019 and got married sept. 15, 2019. Just last Friday sept 20,2019 my husband and I went to SSA to get a SSnumber filled out application form under married name but failed to give me one as the clerk told me that it's a mismatched. And told me too that i should call USCIS to change the visa satus to K3. We got confused we dont know what to do. Please help us as i need to have my SSN so i could drive, include me to my husbands bank account and other benefits in the future,etc. Thank you and looking forward to your advice regarding this matter.

Did you post this on Reddit as well?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

I had the same thing happen to me. You must apply under the name on your I-94. (The paper they stapled into your passport when you officially entered the USA. I had a dumb SSA worker who did not know what they were doing and because of this I was denied because Homeland Security had "no record". This, after I went for my biometrics. So, go back and tell them that the number they must use and the name they must use is on your I-94. Don't take no for an answer.  I was told I could not re-apply (by the office where they screwed up) and my licence expired because I did not have an SSA. It was a big mess and I found out when I reapplied after my first GC they told me at that SSA office  that I had been misinformed and I could have reapplied right away.

Edited by camerica

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
On 9/23/2019 at 8:48 AM, Bill & Katya said:

Not entirely true.  My wife entered on a K1, we got married two weeks later, and a week after that applied for the SSN.  She had to apply in her maiden/foreign passport name, but she was able to apply and she received a SSC in about 2 weeks.

Some manage to do it this way, but many others don't. SSA employees seem to believe that the rules of the visa changes once you get married, this is why it's highly recommended to apply for a SSN as soon as possible, and definitely BEFORE getting married. Most K-1ers (like OP) saves themselves a ton of headache by doing it that way.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2019 at 11:23 AM, Hank_ said:

Yes technically SSA should, but most clerks at SSA follow the SAVE database .. and there is no amount of "facts" per the SS-5 that can change their minds.   Just a temporary setback until they get their EAD/green card.

We got lucky, the SSA clerk processing the SSN for my wife had no issue, all he wanted to see was a certified copy of the marriage certificate.  ;)  

My first time around getting the SS card was a breeze. This time was like banging my head against a granite wall. So much for progress over the last 9 years.

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, boris64 said:

Just a temporary setback until they get their EAD/green card.

My problems with the clerk messing up cost me a lot of headache including having to take a driving test again. That is because my paperwork was "lost" after I applied for change of status, and I ended up getting my interview and green card, 1 year and 11 months after the fact. (after finally calling my congressman at his Washington office)

• 3 months later...
Timeline

I had this happen. Because of their stupidity and misinformation I waited until I got my green card to re-apply for my SSN. As a result I had to take a driving test again and other problems as well. They told me that Homeland Security said I was not in their system. But that very week I had my biometrics done.  I found out when I went to another SSN office with my green card then that they did not know what they were doing at the other office. And them telling me that I would have to wait was bad info as well.  Call SSN and find out the exact number they should input. ( I think it is his alien #)  Then go back and demand that they do it properly and tell them to call their main number if they insist that there is nothing they can do. 

Timeline
7 hours ago, Nativequeen said:

Thanks Camerica! I will try that. This was really informative. 

You are welcome! I don't want anyone else to suffer the incompetence of the SSA offices. Good luck!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 10/2/2019 at 3:31 PM, Cyberfx1024 said:

So glad I found this thread. I'm a bit confused as well. I filed for K1 for my fiance. Our 90 days is Up April 1st but we already got married Jan 17th. We just filed the adjustment of status for the green card. I thought we were supposed to wait till a green card or EAD (working permit) is approved before going to get an SSN. Is there any benefit of having an SSN when your beloved doesn't yet have clearance/federal approval via EAD to work?

15 minutes ago, Cyndy&Onyi said:

Is there any benefit of having an SSN when your beloved doesn't yet have clearance/federal approval via EAD to work?

1) Taxes

2) Easier to get health insurance (not required to get it...but it is simpler)

3) Easier to be added to bank accounts, credit cards, etc.

4) May or may not be required to get a state ID or driver's license. Depends on state.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Cyndy&Onyi said:

So glad I found this thread. I'm a bit confused as well. I filed for K1 for my fiance. Our 90 days is Up April 1st but we already got married Jan 17th. We just filed the adjustment of status for the green card. I thought we were supposed to wait till a green card or EAD (working permit) is approved before going to get an SSN. Is there any benefit of having an SSN when your beloved doesn't yet have clearance/federal approval via EAD to work?

Sure, an SSN makes everything easier. Before I got my EAD or greencard I used my SSN to get a credit card to build credit, to file taxes jointly with my USC husband, used it to get added to his bank account, to get health insurance etc. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

56 minutes ago, Cyndy&Onyi said:

The benefits to having a SSN before a EAD is pretty much what @geowrian said

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
2 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

The benefits to having a SSN before a EAD is pretty much what @geowrian said

@geowrian @Scandi @Cyberfx1024 thanks all!

On 2/23/2020 at 8:38 PM, Nativequeen said:

My fiancé (now husband) arrived in Oct 2019, we went to 3 different SS offices and he was turned down.

Since he entered in October it's now past the 76* days. He needs to wait until he either has the EAD or GC.

*76 is 90 minus 14; per SSA POMS they won't process a SSN application if proof of status has an expiration date within the next 14 days: https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110213300

Edited by HRQX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.