Maggzz

SSN Card Help on K1 Visa

60 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Why wait until January to file for AoS?  Everything gets ten times more difficult for you to do ANYTHING without legal status/authorized stay, and if you get stopped by authorities asking for papers, you will have nothing to show.

I gotta agree...why the focus on applying in 2020? There is zero benefit and only risks to assume by doing so.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Maggzz said:

oh wow. thanks so much @Hank_ for this info. Just a clarification, you saying that it would be possible too to apply the AOS on January 2020, we would just have to apply I485 with I765? and pay the AOS fee when u think?

Once you have certified copies of your marriage certificate you can file for AOS anytime .. the sooner the better.    For AOS it is the I-485 and supporting documents.   For the EAD it is the I-765, this allows you to work ++.  There is also an Advance Parole I-131 (also free to file with the I-485) .. I call that an emergency travel card.  ;) 

https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/adjustment-of-status.html

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Now that you're married, you should be able to apply again using the new legal name.  And you can still show the I-94 since it's still valid within the 90 day window. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Maggzz said:

oh wow. thanks so much @Hank_ for this info. Just a clarification, you saying that it would be possible too to apply the AOS on January 2020, we would just have to apply I485 with I765? and pay the AOS fee when u think?

Try and apply as soon as you can.  Nowadays it takes a bit longer to receive the green card, or even EAD.  When you do apply for AOS, include the I-131 and I-75, makes it much easier. 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, Maggzz said:

ok so it has to be before the 90 days then?

No it does not HAVE to be within 90 days, USCIS has no stipulated time frame for filing AOS.  The reason to file within 90 days is to maintain your legal status in the USA.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Bill & Katya said:

Not entirely true.  My wife entered on a K1, we got married two weeks later, and a week after that applied for the SSN.  She had to apply in her maiden/foreign passport name, but she was able to apply and she received a SSC in about 2 weeks.

K1 entrants can apply anytime before their I94 expires true, in their maiden name.  K3 cannot apply at all until EAD approval.  OP wants a SS card in married name - SS will require EAD in married name for OP to get what she wants.  Getting a SS card in married name before EAD?  Difficult to impossible.  It it the number that is important anyway, gets you enrolled in health insurance, bank, credit card, life insurance, the whole puppet show.

Otherwise OP can get a SS in maiden name under K1 status and change her name on the card later after the EAD card is approved.

Recommendation to “convert to K3” is bogus and even if OP went home, started over, and managed to procure a K3 (miracle there) she would still not see a SS card until her EAD was approved.

Edited by Nitas_man

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Maggzz said:

ok so it has to be before the 90 days then?

To remain in legal status you need an AOS receipt notice in your hand on or before your 90-day I-94 expires.

4 hours ago, Maggzz said:

Hi there, i am currently here in th USA under k1 visa. I arrived here last Aug 16, 2019 and got married sept. 15, 2019. Just last Friday sept 20,2019 my husband and I went to SSA to get a SSnumber filled out application form under married name but failed to give me one as the clerk told me that it's a mismatched. And told me too that i should call USCIS to change the visa satus to K3. We got confused we dont know what to do. Please help us as i need to have my SSN so i could drive, include me to my husbands bank account and other benefits in the future,etc. Thank you and looking forward to your advice regarding this matter.

I enter in a k1 too, this is what i did:

tow weeks after i enter i went ss office with passport and i-94 and got ssn on my name.

Then i got merried,

Sent aos package on my marriage name

When i got ead , i went back to ss office with marriage certificate, my passport,  and changed my name.

K1 2017

Aos sent April 2018

Aos interview July 2018

Work permit September2018

Aos approved July 24, 2019.

Roc April 27, 2021

Biometric reused june 28, 2021

N-400 online April 27, 2022 base on 3 years rule, biometric reused.

N-400 interview on December 12, 2022 combo interview i-751. Approved.

January 11, 2023 oath ceremony, Indianapolis. After that done with uscis😂🤭🤫

I took my oath ceremony in Indianapolis, it was a nice ceremony, where people from 35 coutry become american citizen.

01/11/2023 officially done with uscis :)

🤣

January 13, 2023 apply for us passport.( regular service).

March 11, 2023 passport in hand

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Maggzz said:

Anyone here knows when to pay fee for AOS? is it when u file it, while filing of wait for USCIS advice?

The payment is submitted with the application.

I-485, I-765, I-131 should all be filed together. (Corrected)

Only I-485 should require payment.  The other two, if filed together with I-485, are waived (free).

Edited by Nitas_man

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Maggzz said:

Anyone here knows when to pay fee for AOS? is it when u file it, while filing of wait for USCIS advice?

When you file the I485/I131/I765 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.