Maggzz

SSN Card Help on K1 Visa

60 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Maggzz said:

Anyone here knows when to pay fee for AOS? is it when u file it, while filing of wait for USCIS advice?

You include the payment by check or XXX  with the I-485 application or pay by credit card .. info in the link below

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/forms-processed-uscis-lockbox-facilities

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Maggzz said:

Hi @Hank_ whats the I-131 and I-75?

I explained those to you in an earlier posting, plus there is info in the link I gave you.

I-131  Advance parole;  Allows you to travel outside the USA and then be able to return again (CBP can still deny if they want, but normally no issue)

I-765 Employment Authorization;  Allows you to work .. etc  (I mentioned this all earlier)

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

1 hour ago, Nitas_man said:

Getting a SS card in married name before EAD?  Difficult to impossible. 

I was able to get my SSN in my married name shortly after sending out my AOS application. SSA personnel only required me to have my SSN card and marriage certificate. 

Here's my timeline:

• July 18th - Arrived on K1
  • July 22nd - Went to SSA office and got a mismatch. They suggested I come back in a week. I declined manual verification. SSA rep agreed as some that went through it takes a long time to get verified.
  • July 29th - Returned to SSA office - still a mismatch. By this time, I already contacted the verification department (888-464-4218) and inquired about mismatch when trying to apply for SSN. They told me what to tell the SSA office if they got a mismatch again and told me I can call them while in SSA if I run into the same problem. I told SSA what the verification h/tline told me--they understood and went through with the process.
  • August 9th - I received my SSN card in the mail. Card says 08/02/2019. Might have been the date the card was generated.
  • August 9th - We got married.
  • August 26th - went to SSA office for name change. Got a mismatch again. By this time, I am not worried about the wait time as I already have a number.
  • September 6th - sent out my AOS package. 
  • September 9th - I received my card with my married name on it. Date on the card says 09/04/2019.

New Petition:

Apr 5,  2023: Naturalization

Apr 6, 2023: I-130 for my mother

Apr 6, 2023: NOA1

Apr 9, 2024: Approved

Apr 13, 2024: Sent to NVC

Apr 18, 2024: Received email fr NVC and paid the AOS/IV fee

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to SSN, from the PI regional forum. - As the topic started out to be about SSN. Please check out the AOS Family from K1/K3 forum as this is the forum for all your other questions.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Maggzz said:

Noted on this.my apologies.thanks so much

Sorry wasn't meant to to sound bad, I just wanted you to be able to find the right place for your questions. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 hours ago, Maggzz said:

Hi there, i am currently here in th USA under k1 visa. I arrived here last Aug 16, 2019 and got married sept. 15, 2019. Just last Friday sept 20,2019 my husband and I went to SSA to get a SSnumber filled out application form under married name but failed to give me one as the clerk told me that it's a mismatched. And told me too that i should call USCIS to change the visa satus to K3. We got confused we dont know what to do. Please help us as i need to have my SSN so i could drive, include me to my husbands bank account and other benefits in the future,etc. Thank you and looking forward to your advice regarding this matter.

My wife went to social security after we got married and was told that she cant get one under her married name yet. First they need to issue a social security number based on the details on her 1-94 arrival departure card so there will not be a mismatch. The officer also said she can come back later to change her name or status and get a new card...So she was issued a social security under her maiden name and went back to change it

7 hours ago, Maggzz said:

Hi there, i am currently here in th USA under k1 visa. I arrived here last Aug 16, 2019 and got married sept. 15, 2019. Just last Friday sept 20,2019 my husband and I went to SSA to get a SSnumber filled out application form under married name but failed to give me one as the clerk told me that it's a mismatched. And told me too that i should call USCIS to change the visa satus to K3. We got confused we dont know what to do. Please help us as i need to have my SSN so i could drive, include me to my husbands bank account and other benefits in the future,etc. Thank you and looking forward to your advice regarding this matter.

Unfortunate that you didn't discover the many threads here on VJ about getting the SSN after POE but before wedding.

9 hours ago, Maggzz said:

we would just have to apply I485 with I765? and pay the AOS fee when u think?

For you and your daughter: "If you properly file Form I-485 and pay the required fees, you may file Form I-765 and Form I-131 without paying additional fees. You may file these forms together, or if you choose to file Form I-765 or Form I-131 separately, you must also submit a copy of your I-797C, Notice of Action, receipt as evidence that you filed and paid for Form I-485." https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-485instr.pdf Page 16

"You may pay the fee with a money order, personal check, or cashier’s check. When filing at a USCIS Lockbox facility, you may also pay by credit card using Form G-1450, Authorization for Credit Card Transactions. If you pay by check, you must make your check payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security." https://www.uscis.gov/i-485

Edited by HRQX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline

They will not issue a SSN until You have EAD at this point.
You should've applied before getting married cause they will not be able to cross-check the last name maiden vs married. And this is gonna be done out of your local SS office.

You've got two choices. Apply for one while applying for EAD by checking the "I want to apply for social security number" box on the forms, or wait till you get EAD and then go to apply in the office.

Social Security officers most of the time aren't familiar with K1 and don't even want to issue one before you get married claiming that you're not eligible, they certainly won't be keen to go an extra mile to double check your name. You can try, but chances are nearly nil. Apply for AoS, EAD, AP and then get the social number. EAD lines aren't as bad as 6months ago.

This was discussed many times here (not blaming you). 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You 

On 9/23/2019 at 10:32 AM, Maggzz said:

In short, I'm currently here in the US under a K1 visa. I arrived in August and got married a week ago in Sept. We went to the SSA office and were told we could not get a SSN yet.  Help!

Details:

I arrived here last Aug 16, 2019 and got married sept. 15, 2019. Just last Friday sept 20,2019 my husband and I went to SSA to get a SSnumber filled out application form under married name but failed to give me one as the clerk told me that it's a mismatched. And told me too that i should call USCIS to change the visa satus to K3. We got confused we dont know what to do. Please help us as i need to have my SSN so i could drive, include me to my husbands bank account and other benefits in the future,etc. Thank you and looking forward to your advice regarding this matter.

Hi.. I hope this will help and ease you up. Don’t worry, you’ll be okay.

You can file your ssn directly under your married when you file your EAD with your AOS and AP. In the EAD Form Part 2: Information about you, (question 13.a.) about your social security. Take a look at it. Answer “NO” to 13.a. and skip 13.b. Answer “YES” to 14. and 15., the provide the in information requested in items number 16.a. — 17.b. 

I know about this based on experience. I actually have 2 ssn card on hand with same number but different names. First one was under my single name I filed before I get married and the second one was the one I filed through my EAD form. My second SSN arrived in the mail together with my EAD and AP..

03/30/17: I-129F sent USCIS Dallas Lockbox

04/03/17: Delivered to USCIS

04/06/17: NOA1 date, assigned to CSC

04/07/17: Received a text from USCIS

04/12/17: Received our NOA1 hardcopy via mail.

11/21/17: NOA2 Date and email received
01/11/18: NVC Received I-129F 
xx/xx/18: Case Status Ready

xx/xx/18: Embassy Received. 
xx/xx/18: Received NVC letter hard copy from NVC
xx/xx/18: Medical

xx/xx/18: Interview 
xx/xx/18: APPROVED!
xx/xx/18: Visa in Hand =)

xx/xx/18: CFO
xx/xx/18: Bound to my Fiance's Arms

xx/xx/18: Marriage Day

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 9/23/2019 at 11:38 AM, Bill & Katya said:

You will need to apply for the SSN using the name on your foreign passport to make it easier on yourself.  You can change it later using either your EAD/AP or Green cards.  The SSA should be able to do it in the married name, but when you add immigration into the mix, it is best to make it as simple on them as possible.

Good Luck!

Yes. And insist if you get a SSA agent that says "the # here does not fit" make sure you stay on them and tell them that they have to use the # that is assigned to you by USCIS. That happened to me. He kept saying he could not get the number to fit in the spaces. I was refused because "Homeland Security has no records of a person with your name exists." Turns out that they used my married name and my VISA entry # instead of actually listening to me~ Also, someone said you cannot apply until you receive your AOS approval. Not true. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.