JoeMc

K-1 Interview. Fiance' repeatedly asked about remittances

44 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
11 minutes ago, JFH said:

I could send you money. I can assure you it’s not true love. 

Just now, Boiler said:

Happy for you to send me money.

I was just thinking the same thing.... lol.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I don't understand why they would want to know about money being sent. 

In the past I have sent money a couple of times but it had nothing to do with love or support.  For me it has been because she can often buy tickets for hundreds less in China so I send her the money for the cost of the ticket that she buys for me.  Just a tip for anyone that has a need to send money... Western Union can be expensive for sending funds.  Paypal offers a service called Xoom that is a flat 5 dollars per transfer.

Edited by nosleep

Timeline

How long will they wait for a reply to the 221g?

Right now I am kind of in a 'holding pattern' because of Hurricane Dorian.... Banks and public offices are closed (cannot get my letter notarized right now). Post offices in my area are closed. (Because of the approaching hurricane.)  I expect them to reopen on Monday (unless there is landfall here in South Carolina). Once I mail these documents to my fiance' (hopefully on Monday) it will probably take 5 to 10 days to arrive in Beijing...

Will they give us time to get these to them or should I send an email to the consulate informing them of the delay (from the hurricane)?

Edited by JoeMc

Timeline
1 minute ago, Rose711 said:

What evidence of your relationship did she bring besides photos? Photos without chat logs or correspondence don’t mean much. Sounds like they want more proof of a relationship. 

You are correct. She had plenty of proof that we had met (photos, boarding passes, a hotel receipt, and things like that). But, did not have any chat logs with her for the interview.

Just now, JoeMc said:

You are correct. She had plenty of proof that we had met (photos, boarding passes, a hotel receipt, and things like that). But, did not have any chat logs with her for the interview.

Also, her traveling all those places alone to visit friends might be seen as more evidence of a single lifestyle than a couple. She could easily have just been seeing you as a friend as well.

11 hours ago, JoeMc said:

She is a retired dentist and has her own resources. Just this year (to keep herself busy while waiting for this process) she has traveled to visit friends in Milan, Rome, and Palermo Italy. She also visited a friend in Innsbruck Austria. Maybe the officer saw all of these passport stamps and wondered where the money (to pay for these trips) came from? (Do you think that the consulate incorrectly assumed that I was paying for these trips?)

The IO could have assumed that being retired and having all these travel expenses, she must have some sort of financial support from you. I personally don't think it is an odd assumption.

59 minutes ago, JFH said:

I agree with the rest: if you can, send us the monies! 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

The IO could have assumed that being retired and having all these travel expenses, she must have some sort of financial support from you. I personally don't think it is an odd assumption.

To put it in perspective. Before we first talked/met my fiance' (in the past few years) had already traveled to Italy, England (UK), Austria, and other places. (She has a Schengen Visa.) So, it is not like she only traveled after we met. 

37 minutes ago, Rose711 said:

Also, her traveling all those places alone to visit friends might be seen as more evidence of a single lifestyle than a couple. She could easily have just been seeing you as a friend as well.

Good point. I can see how they could have misinterpreted things that way.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, JFH said:

i want money too. ;)

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

itsatrap.jpg

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
15 hours ago, JFH said:

I’m actually thinking the remittances might be a red herring. Maybe the lack of any will strengthen your case. Sending money does not demonstrate a bona fide relationship. It demonstrates a healthy bank balance. Nothing more. You guys aren’t even married. Why would you be sending money? I’m assuming she coped just fine financially before she met you? 

I get very suspicious when I read posts here where people have spent very little time together in person, are not married, but have an armful of western union receipts. I can kind if understand sending gifts (flowers, etc) but cash? It’s too “weird” for me. 

I've sent my fiance money via Western Union several times. Is it so hard to imagine why someone would send the person they want to marry money? My fiance lives in Turkey, where the economy there is awful, their currency is highly inflated, and there just aren't many good job opportunities. Especially for women. So at times, just as I would support my wife here, I support my fiance in Turkey because I trust her and believe she will be my wife anyway.

If you trust the person and believe you'll always be with them, then sending them money isn't much different than if a man and woman lived together, with the man working and the woman taking care of the home. Recently I sent money to my fiance to buy her wedding dress in Turkey. It's cheaper to buy in Turkey, traditionally the man buys the wife her dress in Turkey (I'm fine to abide by some of their cultural traditions, others I"m not), and she can get the style of dress she really wants in Turkey, whereas in the U.S. I'm not sure what she'll find.

Now if I stated in the midst of all this that I don't really trust my fiance, then I can understand people asking why I would send her money. But money being exchanged between spouses is their personal business. For that same reason, I don't think money being sent is proof of a bonafide relationship either. That money could've been exchanged for any reason whatsoever. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
17 minutes ago, implife said:

chats, phone call logs, emails, any proof of ongoing communication is very helpful.

money is a red herring. 

Just my opinion, but I would disagree about chats, emails, etc. and I think too many assumptions that could be made about money.

Chats, phone logs, and chats can be fabricated but passport stamps and verifiable evidence can not easily be falsified.  The US government already knows every country you have gone to and when you went there.  It's quite easy to put things together and verify where you go and when.  On the other hand a person could create any chat, email, etc. evidence as long as the services involved aren't subpoenaed for verification.  I think the OP is on the right track by just doing what they ask regardless of agreeing with the requests.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.