JoeMc

K-1 Interview. Fiance' repeatedly asked about remittances

44 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

On 8/29 my fiance' had her consulate interview.

She was asked many times during the interview to provide receipts for any money that I sent her. The only problem is.... I only sent her money once... ever.... (I sent her $300 dollars via Western Union for the visa application fee she had to pay before she could schedule the interview....)

She had lots of photographs. But, forgot to bring chat records with her. Do you think they were 'fishing' for another way to show more evidence of a relationship? Or, does not sending her money over time weaken our case?? (I offered to send her money. I even found an old chat transcript where I offered to send her money for a train ticket (she was going to visit a relative). My fiance's reply was to save my money for when we are together. (My furniture is from the dark ages and one of our first expenditures will be for furniture. She wanted me to save money for future expenses like this.)

Well... we got a 221g.

They requested:

• A notarized letter describing the history of the relationship and so on.... 
  • Copies of chat messages. (I have gone back almost one year and printed out approximately 300 pages of chat messages to send them.)
  • A copy of all pages of my passport. 
  • Receipts for any remittances sent. (I have the one Western Union receipt to send in. But, that is the only time she accepted money from me....)
  • More photographs...

Does anyone have any thoughts on why they kept asking her for nonexistent receipts for nonexistent money transfers??  Any other advice/suggestions/comments would be appreciated. I am going crazy.. I printed out all this stuff and cannot get the letter notarized nor can I send it to her right now... (Thanks to Hurricane Dorian the banks and post offices in my county are closed until further notice. It just gives me a few more days to worry about this stuff...)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How many times have you visited and for how long.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I am a single parent (with a child who is a minor) and my contract with my job is such that I do not accrue vacation time. So, my visits to China have all been less than one week long.  

I visited her in Beijing once last year (for less than a week).  

She has a US tourist visa and visited me for approximately 3 months last year.

This year I met her in Guilin (to meet her sister). Again, it was for less than a week (I had to return home to care for my son.).

She wanted to visit me again. But, she is worried that she would be denied entry after we filed the I-129f... She is retired and was afraid that she would be denied entry for not having strong ties she could demonstrate to her home country and for also being engaged to a US citizen. 

She brought copies of all boarding passes to the interview....

Edited by JoeMc

Timeline
11 minutes ago, JFH said:

Why would you be sending money? I’m assuming she coped just fine financially before she met you? 

She is a retired dentist and has her own resources. Just this year (to keep herself busy while waiting for this process) she has traveled to visit friends in Milan, Rome, and Palermo Italy. She also visited a friend in Innsbruck Austria. Maybe the officer saw all of these passport stamps and wondered where the money (to pay for these trips) came from? (Do you think that the consulate incorrectly assumed that I was paying for these trips?)

Edited by JoeMc

28 minutes ago, JoeMc said:

She is a retired dentist and has her own resources. Just this year (to keep herself busy while waiting for this process) she has traveled to visit friends in Milan, Rome, and Palermo Italy. She also visited a friend in Innsbruck Austria. Maybe the officer saw all of these passport stamps and wondered where the money (to pay for these trips) came from? (Do you think that the consulate incorrectly assumed that I was paying for these trips?)

Did she retire well before normal retirement age?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Did she retire well before normal retirement age?

The mandatory retirement age for women is 50 (55 for some government jobs...which does not apply to her) in China. (We are both in our 50's.)

Edited by JoeMc

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
5 hours ago, JoeMc said:

The mandatory retirement age for women is 50 (55 for some government jobs...which does not apply to her) in China. (We are both in our 50's.)

is the consular is a handsome Chinese looking guy who speak perfect Chinese ,in his 30's?

Edited by ilovelondon

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
9 hours ago, JoeMc said:

A notarized letter describing the history of the relationship and so on.... 

Back in the day (15 years ago), sending money to a fiance was considered evidence of a gold digger.

Asking for notarizations is highly unusual - like they think she's making up her own evidence ??!?

Perhaps a notarized statement from you stating that only the ONE remittance was sent, in addition to the notarized relationship letter.

玉林,桂 resident
Feb 23, 2005 ........ Mailed I-129F to TSC . . . . . . . . .March 8th ............. P1 from CSC
April 11 ................. P2 from CSC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .April 25 ................ NVC sends packet to GUZ
June 22 ................ P3 received . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Nov 22 ................. PASSED Interview
Dec 2 ................... Made it! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 16 .................. Married
May 23, 2006 ..... TDL, EAD, AP received. . . . . . . . . June 16, 2006 ........ AOS interview - wait for FBI bkgrnd check
Apr 19, 2007 .... EAD # 2. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oct 7, 2008 ......... 10-year green card
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - K2 (son) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dec 2 ..................... AOS/EAD filed . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 17 ................... 21st birthday
Jan 4, 2007 .......... transferred to CSC . . . . . . . . . . . Feb 6, 2007 ............ transferred to MSC
Feb 23 .................... EAD card . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Apr 16 .................... AOS denied (over 21)
Jul 26 .................... Master Calendar hearing . . . . . . Nov 15 ...................... Removal hearing
Jan 29, 2008 ........ Voluntary departure

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
28 minutes ago, RandyW said:

Back in the day (15 years ago), sending money to a fiance was considered evidence of a gold digger.

Asking for notarizations is highly unusual - like they think she's making up her own evidence ??!?

Perhaps a notarized statement from you stating that only the ONE remittance was sent, in addition to the notarized relationship letter.

I disagree:

A notarized letter describing the history of the relationship and so on....not notorized remittance .by the way,its not unusual.

sending fiance money demonstrate  true love these years.

1 hour ago, ilovelondon said:

sending fiance money demonstrate  true love these years.

No, it does not.  At least not in the context of US immigration.

1 hour ago, ilovelondon said:

A notarized letter describing the history of the relationship and so on

I don't think you fully understand what "notarized" means.  A notary cannot verify the truth of what is contained in a document - only the identity of the person signing it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.