Mackenzie Owens

My fiance moves back to her home country in 11 months... So when to apply?

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
32 minutes ago, Mackenzie Owens said:

Ty for the replies. I do not have the time to get married in Japan. Obviously that would be easier but it's currently impossible for many reasons thank you.
So when some of you have said that my fiancée and I get to request a time for the interview, is the window of that time in which we get too choose really a year? That puts my mind at ease as it therefore doesn't seem like an impossible timing puzzle.

Have you really considered all the advantages of a CR-1 spousal visa vs a K-1?

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1
    Slightly faster arrival in the US (currently about 5 months sooner)    
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 5-6 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 5-6 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.

CR-1
    Slightly slower arrival in the US (currently about 5 months later)

Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.
  �

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Schooling would be totally a non-issue once she gets her "resident in state time"

I have never heard of "residence in state time" before, what is this?

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Mackenzie Owens said:

I have never heard of "residence in state time" before, what is this?

If she attends a state college most times residents of the state get a discounted cost compared to non-residents.    Of course if she isn't going to a state college it doesn't matter.  ;)   (

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Hank_ said:

If she attends a state college most times residents of the state get a discounted cost compared to non-residents.    Of course if she isn't going to a state college it doesn't matter.  ;)   (

Though rules for what defines state residency for tuition purposes can vary from college to college, even within the same state university system.

Sometimes it's as simple as proving marriage to a resident, sometimes it can take over a year.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Timeline
58 minutes ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

Though rules for what defines state residency for tuition purposes can vary from college to college, even within the same state university system.

Sometimes it's as simple as proving marriage to a resident, sometimes it can take over a year.

Yup I agree varies a bunch from college to college.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

You can definitely slow down the process at the embassy/interview stage. When we went through the K-1 process we planned for it to take about 6-8 months and started wedding planning based on that assumption. When the I-129f was approved in less than a month, we did some serious foot-dragging. I realize processing times now are much different than they were for us, but the point is you have some control over the timeline.

That being said, you should make sure traveling back is going to be a necessity before you do anything.

5 hours ago, missileman said:

Have you really considered all the advantages of a CR-1 spousal visa vs a K-1?

You just quoted his post saying he doesn't have the time to marry. 

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
6 minutes ago, MorganandMichael said:

You just quoted his post saying he doesn't have the time to marry. 

And?  The benefits of a CR-1 vs a K-1 are sometimes worth reconsideration.....

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

52 minutes ago, missileman said:

And?  The benefits of a CR-1 vs a K-1 are sometimes worth reconsideration.....

I’m so glad the incessant lobbying for the CR-1 over the K-1 wasn’t really in full swing back when I made my decision. I would never go back and change my path and I’d be personally pretty irritated if I posted a question and large number of the replies didn’t answer my questions but were just “oh hey but you shouldn’t do a K-1 though” 

K-1 Visa~
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

AOS ~

ROC~

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
7 hours ago, Mackenzie Owens said:

TY!

Also since I might not need to start a second thread for this question, I'll try asking it now to you all. You are all very helpful thank you so much. This forum is a great resource.
Since My fiance and I are doing the K1 visa do you think it would be possible for her to enrol in school at all after filling an AOS package? She already has a degree in education from the Philippines but maybe there could be a 6 month school term she could do during the wait time... would that be legal?

My fiancee did exactly that after she arrived. She had to finish up about 6 months of school, and had no issues doing that while waiting for EAD/AP. Most colleges and Universities are pretty flexible on the international, or out of state tuition. As soon as she arrives get the SS card, then get a State ID right away after you receive the card. It might only be valid for 90 days, but with the state ID you can register for school as a Local resident and avoid the higher fees. By the time they bother to check ID again ( IF they ever do), she will have EAD/AP and maybe even a green card, and then she will have a regular term ID or License by then.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

23 minutes ago, missileman said:

There have been many posters who didn't realize the differences until they were listed and posted........there is nothing wrong with fully educating posters........everyone is free to accept or ignore advice and information provided. 

Fully educating? I’m not sure you know what that means. You’re information is extremely slanted. The list you always post has only the BENEFITS of the CR-1 and only the DOWNFALLS of the K-1. If you were only concerned about benevolent education of the masses, you would post a comprehensive pro/con of each. 

K-1 Visa~
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

AOS ~

ROC~

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

Timeline
9 hours ago, Mackenzie Owens said:

Ty for the replies. I do not have the time to get married in Japan. Obviously that would be easier but it's currently impossible for many reasons thank you.
So when some of you have said that my fiancée and I get to request a time for the interview, is the window of that time in which we get too choose really a year? That puts my mind at ease as it therefore doesn't seem like an impossible timing puzzle.

OK.   If you are looking at a K-1 and completing the embassy process in Manila.   Make sure to acquire the police clearance from Japan before exiting.

K-1 petition process is about 1/2 way down the page:  https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/uscis-petition-process.html     Also with the I-129F if you plan to complete the process in Manila list her home residence should be listed as her address in the Philippines, NOT Japan.  (using the section to notate what consulate won't get it done, NVC doesn't look at it.)

After the petition is approved there is a brief process at NVC:  https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/nvc.html

Embassy process:  https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/us-embassy-usem.html

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

5 hours ago, MorganandMichael said:

I’m so glad the incessant lobbying for the CR-1 over the K-1 wasn’t really in full swing back when I made my decision. I would never go back and change my path and I’d be personally pretty irritated if I posted a question and large number of the replies didn’t answer my questions but were just “oh hey but you shouldn’t do a K-1 though” 

He’s just giving advice. Not lobbying. I bet OP will not get irritated. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
6 hours ago, MorganandMichael said:

5 hours ago, MorganandMichael said:

Fully educating? I’m not sure you know what that means. You’re information is extremely slanted. The list you always post has only the BENEFITS of the CR-1 and only the DOWNFALLS of the K-1. If you were only concerned about benevolent education of the masses, you would post a comprehensive pro/con of each. 

Nah, that advice has been going around since 2012 and the situation has only become worse for K1s.

I've uniquely filed for both. The CR1 was categorically better for my immigrant other half. He had a job within days. Began life here straight away.

I wonder if there might be an option to marry in a 3rd country?

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.