Greekwife

Final public charge rule

698 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

http://lallegal.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/I944-FRM-PubCharge-60Day-09262018.pdf

Every I-485 applicant will have to fill this out in addition to the I-864.

New form “Affidavit of Self Sufficiency”

I love this.  This is long, long overdue.  

Edited by Nitas_man

3 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

http://lallegal.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/I944-FRM-PubCharge-60Day-09262018.pdf

Wow  15 pages - correct in that it is long overdue.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

6 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

So do I. I told my wife that I can't wait for the Filipino N. American news tonight because they will talk about this rule of course. She wondered what was the "new rule" so I told her, and she was like "This is a good thing". We have met Filipinos before that used social programs very heavily even though they were making really good money off the books. She even was trying to talk my wife into filing for different things as well.

My wife quickly wised up and dropped this person as a "friend".

Edited by Cyberfx1024

7 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

I have no problem with this in general as I believe everyone should pull their own weight etc etc 

Excuse my ignorance but how does that work for people coming on K1 visa. They get there and have to marry within three months and then apply to adjust but of course they don’t have worked or anything between that time as they’re not allowed. Nor will they have US credit history or anything?

Am I missing something obvious?

4 minutes ago, Cilllah said:

I have no problem with this in general as I believe everyone should pull their own weight etc etc 

Excuse my ignorance but how does that work for people coming on K1 visa. They get there and have to marry within three months and then apply to adjust but of course they don’t have worked or anything between that time as they’re not allowed. Nor will they have US credit history or anything?

Am I missing something obvious?

What looks like before is nothing really has changed except that credit score part. 

That is the one big drawback of the K1 is that YOU are supposed to take care of the beneficiary during that in between status of not being able to work

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

Who is filling this out? The petitioner or beneficiary. The questions seem like they are being asked to the US citizen but everyone's comments below talk about "pulling their own weight" which would mean it would be for the beneficiary? How would the us government see credit scores and debt due from abroad/or care? 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

What looks like before is nothing really has changed except that credit score part. 

That is the one big drawback of the K1 is that YOU are supposed to take care of the beneficiary during that in between status of not being able to work

Hence the reference to household members?

1 minute ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

I’m the beneficiary and my fiancé earns enough to support me! That’s fine and all. As soon as I can I’ll be applying for work etc. I just wasn’t sure how this would impact me on moving to the US and obviously not working or building credit between moving on K1 and applying for my green card! Sorry if that didn’t make sense.

1 minute ago, Cilllah said:

I’m the beneficiary and my fiancé earns enough to support me! That’s fine and all. As soon as I can I’ll be applying for work etc. I just wasn’t sure how this would impact me on moving to the US and obviously not working or building credit between moving on K1 and applying for my green card! Sorry if that didn’t make sense.

It's ok and ty for clarifying that. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, lonesurvivor said:

Who is filling this out? The petitioner or beneficiary. The questions seem like they are being asked to the US citizen but everyone's comments below talk about "pulling their own weight" which would mean it would be for the beneficiary? How would the us government see credit scores and debt due from abroad/or care? 

https://www.aila.org/File/Related/18092430c.pdf

Instructions

AOS applicant fills this out.  It SHOULD be the USC sponsor however it tails with the I-864 which has most of the same information.

4 minutes ago, Boketto said:

Does this apply to ROC or citizenship applications? 

Read the new rules.  I attached the whole 800+ page document.

Edited by Nitas_man

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
1 hour ago, lonesurvivor said:

Will this affect people with a current green card? I get that during adjudication, they may see use of these services and deny. But lets say they recieve their green card and 2 years down the road, they are diagnosed with a serious health issue that requires some use of public assistance. Would this affect their current immigration status? 

A serious health issue one happens upon should be covered by their own health insurance- not paid by the government (or taxpayers) that’s why we have health insurance...in case god forbid something serious happens to our health

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
1 hour ago, Mrsjackson said:

Wow. I had read previously only green card applicants would feel this. 

Thing is though even with that in mind, you’re likely fine. This new rule is to impede future immigration. If I were a green card applicant waiting to be eligible for citizenship I wouldn’t be applying for a bunch of benefits though. 

Agreed. Im actually surprised that so many immigrants apply for/receive benefits when we (sponsor) have to jump through hoops to show we can basically “afford” to take care of the person we are bringing into the country. One would think that’s what the affidavit of support was supposed to be all about.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Timeline

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/memorandum-enforcing-legal-responsibilities-sponsors-aliens/

Existing greencard holders who are or have used means tested benefits are handled differently. 

New directive:  enforce the law and collect from their sponsors

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.