emil9710

Bringing my brother

51 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Hello,

I am a US citizen, neutralized , and I was wondering how long it takes to bring my brother here from Tunisia to the states after filing the I-130 form, he’s 25 years old unmarried.

I read some horrible stories stating a wait of 12 years .

is it worth it to hire an attorney to take care of that?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The wait is the wait - an attorney can’t help with that. 

ROC Timeline

Service Center: Vermont

90 Day Window Opened....08/08/17

I-751 Packet Sent..............08/14/17

NO1 Dated.........................

NO1 Received....................

Check Cashed....................

Biometrics Received..........

Biometrics Appointment.....

Approved...........................

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 NOA1: 22 Dec 2014
I-130 NOA2: 25 Jan 2015
NVC Received: 06 Feb 2015
Pay AOS Bill: 07 Mar 2015
Pay IV Bill : 20 Mar 2015
Send IV/AOS Package: 23 Mar 2015
Submit DS-261: 26 Mar 2015
Case Completed at NVC: 24 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Approved: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Received: 03 Oct 2015 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
11 minutes ago, emil9710 said:

is it worth it to hire an attorney to take care of that?

Not really IMO if your case is straight forward.

I read some horrible stories stating a wait of 12 years

That is just normal nothing new. Average wait is 10 years.

he’s 25 years old unmarried.

got nothing to do with it. Tough if he does decide to get married, he can have a choice to immigrate and then sponsor spouse or choose to immigrate as a family.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

He would be in his 40's assuming that the option is still available.

Process is pretty simple, using a Lawyer is a personal call.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline
57 minutes ago, saladboye said:

Not really IMO if your case is straight forward.

That is just normal nothing new. Average wait is 10 years.

got nothing to do with it. Tough if he does decide to get married, he can have a choice to immigrate and then sponsor spouse or choose to immigrate as a family.

Is there a way or other process to bring him over here? 

Like apply for a tourist visa and process his paperwork from here while he’s staying with me?

Timeline

He would visit you for 15 years whatever, seems a long vacation.

What does he do?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 minute ago, emil9710 said:

Like apply for a tourist visa and process his paperwork from here while he’s staying with me?

No, he has to be in status to adjust status, his tourist status would expire after 6 months, many years before his priority date is current. There is no way to jump the line. Maybe, if he has a skilled occupation he can get an employer to sponsor him on an H1B visa in the meanwhile.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
22 minutes ago, emil9710 said:

Nope, he can try his luck on skilled job visa (H1B etc) but he is gonna need his masters. Even a student visa is possible but then expect to pay out of state high fees.

I wouldn't do it the tourist visa way, it means he will not be able to work for 12 years, not able to fly out of the country etc.

33 minutes ago, saladboye said:

I wouldn't do it the tourist visa way, it means he will not be able to work for 12 years, not able to fly out of the country etc.

No, it means he will not be able to do it at all because he will be out of status. No forgiveness for F4.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, emil9710 said:

He have a master degree in English studies, he can’t find a job in tunisia. 

How could he afford to vacation in the US?

Not an obvious qualification to obtain work in the US.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 hours ago, emil9710 said:

He have a master degree in English studies

Not a high-demand field in the US either unfortunately.  If he wants to apply for a work visa like an H1-B, he will need a graduate degree in technology or medicine or biosciences or data analytics.  If he has the money, he could pursue these studies in the US on a F-1 student visa and then try to find a company to sponsor his H1-B.  Good luck.

Timeline

Does beg the question what are his future study plans as it seems what he had is not in demand.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.