IdAuHunter

Health Insurance: Post Wedding but Prior to AOC

22 posts in this topic

I'm wondering if anyone has run into this issue. I work for a hospital system. My fiance interviews soon. If approved she'd likely move her about October.

I contacted my employer about adding her and her daughter to my insurance plan after the wedding. I was told they'd need a copy of the birth certificate, marriage license AND Social Security Number or Taxpayer ID.

Obvious issue being we'll be legally married but she won't have a SSN until their status is adjusted. 

I looked into Taxpayer ID's and it appears as if non-immigrants can apply for a Taxpayer ID number. We'll likely be married in Oct so I'd also need a taxpayer ID for them if I'm going to claim them as dependents. 

My stepdaughter takes medication for a chronic endocrine issue. Nothing major and well managed, but she does take medication daily. Since she has a pre-existing condition travelers insurance won't work to bridge the gap. It's imperative I get her on my employer sponsored plan ASAP. 

Any advice? Has anyone filed for a taxpayer ID for their K1/K2 beneficiaries?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'd pushback on the SSN as it is not required.   I added my wife without 

As an aside, The k1 is eligible for SSN during the first 75 days of entry.   The k2 however is not 

The fine from the IRS is $50 for no ssn.  Just let them know you will pay it

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My husband, who lives in Brazil, was added to my employer's health insurance plan a few days after our wedding in Brazil more than a year ago.  All they needed was our marriage certificate, his name and date of birth, no SSN was needed.

4 minutes ago, payxibka said:

I'd pushback on the SSN as it is not required.   I added my wife without 

As an aside, The k1 is eligible for SSN during the first 75 days of entry.   The k2 however is not 

Good to know. It sounded off to me. I pushed back via email, but haven't heard back from HR yet (shocking).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Generally, there may be an exception I do not know about, Travel Insurance will not cover those immigrating, for those going back.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

As enrollment opens under federal law for a life changing event and they are required to enroll a spouse I would definitely push back.  SS number is NOT required to enroll a new household member.  They can be enrolled pending SS number.

36 minutes ago, IdAuHunter said:

Good to know. It sounded off to me. I pushed back via email, but haven't heard back from HR yet (shocking).

Stunner

Edited by Nitas_man

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
52 minutes ago, IdAuHunter said:

I'm wondering if anyone has run into this issue. I work for a hospital system. My fiance interviews soon. If approved she'd likely move her about October.

I contacted my employer about adding her and her daughter to my insurance plan after the wedding. I was told they'd need a copy of the birth certificate, marriage license AND Social Security Number or Taxpayer ID.

Obvious issue being we'll be legally married but she won't have a SSN until their status is adjusted. 

I looked into Taxpayer ID's and it appears as if non-immigrants can apply for a Taxpayer ID number. We'll likely be married in Oct so I'd also need a taxpayer ID for them if I'm going to claim them as dependents. 

My stepdaughter takes medication for a chronic endocrine issue. Nothing major and well managed, but she does take medication daily. Since she has a pre-existing condition travelers insurance won't work to bridge the gap. It's imperative I get her on my employer sponsored plan ASAP. 

Any advice? Has anyone filed for a taxpayer ID for their K1/K2 beneficiaries?

No reason your (soon to be) wife can't get her SSN once in the USA, she can get it before getting married even.  Don't need to have adjusted status to get the SSN.

Complete the SS-5 form, evidence of immigration status; download a copy of the I-94 from the CBP website, bring her passport (just in case), she may have to get it in her maiden name but that isn't an issue .. you have your marriage certificate ;)        You can update the SS card to married name once she has her EAD or green card

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
1 hour ago, IdAuHunter said:

I looked into Taxpayer ID's and it appears as if non-immigrants can apply for a Taxpayer ID number.

That's ITIN. And it takes about 2-3 months since you apply, which wouldn't serve you any purpose.

Timeline Info below:

Spoiler

04/21/16 -- Marriage

----- CR1 Process -----

USCIS Stage [222 days from NOA1]

06/08/16 -- Sent I-130

01/31/17 -- I-130 petition sent to NVC [Received Email notification and MyUscis status update]

NVC Stage [105 days from NOA2]

Embassy/Consulate (Interview) Stage [43 days from Case Complete to Visa in Hand]

05/18/17 -- Consulate Received. CEAC Case status changed to "Ready"

06/01/17 -- Medical Examination [Complete. It took around 2 hours. Total Cost INR 11650 for Surat City Apollo Clinic]

06/12/17 -- Biometric (OFC) Appointment

06/13/17 -- Interview [7:30 AM at Mumbai, India]. Visa Approved

06/15/17 -- Visa in hand

06/21/17 -- POE at DFW (Dallas, Texas)

----- Removal of Condition -----

Removal of Condition (I-751) [Approved]

06/18/2019 -- Sent the package (3 Days before GC expires, cutting it close). Sent to Lewisville, TX via FedEx Ground

06/19/2019 -- Package received at around 9:30 AM (Hoping I don't get rejected for missing deadline)

06/24/2019 -- Card was charged with $680 fees. Text Message received confirming Receipt. Case routed to NBC (Case Number starts with 'MSC')

06/28/2019 -- NOA Hard Copy & 18 Months Extension Letter Received in Mail with NOA Date as 06/19/2019

07/12/2019 -- Biomentrics Appointment Letter received. The Letter is Dated 7/5/2019. Appointment is on 7/22/2019

07/22/2019 -- Biometrics Appointment Complete

02/01/2022 -- Interview Scheduled for 3/3/2022 (combo interview)

03/03/2022 -- Interview Complete. No new Green Card will be produced as my Naturalization was also approved.

03/04/2022 -- USCIS status changed to approved.

----- Naturalization -----

Naturalization (N-400) [Approved]

03/26/2022 -- N-400 online application complete. NOA Date.

01/15/2021 -- Biometric Complete.

02/28/2022 -- Interview scheduled for 3/3/2022 (combo interview)

03/03/2022 -- Interview Passed. Status changed to 'we recommended that your application be approved...' and then to 'Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled'.

03/09/2022 -- Oath Ceremony was scheduled for 3/25/2022.

2 hours ago, Hank_ said:

No reason your (soon to be) wife can't get her SSN once in the USA, she can get it before getting married even.  Don't need to have adjusted status to get the SSN.

Complete the SS-5 form, evidence of immigration status; download a copy of the I-94 from the CBP website, bring her passport (just in case), she may have to get it in her maiden name but that isn't an issue .. you have your marriage certificate ;)        You can update the SS card to married name once she has her EAD or green card

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf

This is perfect. Thanks for all the responses everyone. Much appreciated.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

All the zero's is the common one.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, little immigrant said:

My HR literally told me to "make up" a SSN to add my stepson once he's here. Not sure about the legality of this. (like 123-45-7890)

I did that, eventually BCBS rejected it and sent me a form to provide the correct one or get charged $50.  Didn't stop coverage. 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~MOved to Moving Here and YOur New Life, from K1 P&P - The OP is asking about health insurance~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
2 hours ago, little immigrant said:

Not sure about the legality of this.

Get a couple of consultations with lawyers (initial caucuses are usually free) before proceeding.  Don't court trouble.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We were married on November 2. I was added onto my wife's health insurance even before we filed our IR1 visa in early December. I did not have an ITIN/SSN and this was never a raised issue with her place of work.

Filing for ITIN was annoying. I got some mis-information over-the-phone that I could apply for an ITIN before filing our tax return. We needed it for our joint 2018 taxes, but I also needed it to apply for my board license, so I booked an appointment in early 2019 before we were ready to file our taxes, brought all the ITIN forms, and was turned away at the taxpayer assistance center because they told me that the W7 can only be submitted with our tax return for 2018. So I don't think you would be able to obtain an ITIN for the purposes of obtaining health insurance.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.