IdAuHunter

Health Insurance: Post Wedding but Prior to AOC

22 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

As others have noted, it is possible to obtain an SSN shortly after arriving in the USA on a K-1 visa. The policies are documented and "in theory" the system works.

The reality is that you are reliant on 2 government agencies (DHS and SSA) and their employees do things correctly and that the underlying databases are in-order.  In our case we applied for SSN twice before our wedding and a 3rd time in the EAD application. We have yet to receive an SSN 5 months post-arrival and 3 months post-AOS NOA1. This situation is not unique and there are many others here on VJ with the same experiences, and many others that had an easier time.

We were able to adjust employer-based health insurance coverage without an SSN for spousal coverage. In our case we filled out a simple HR form and put "Applied for" in the SSN line and attach a scanned copy of our long-form marriage certificate. I can't speak to adding dependents but likely the birth certificate would be required to prove relationship to the other parties.

A few other notes about life without an SSN if you get stuck like we are - Most banks will allow the foreign spouse to open a non-interest bearing account without a taxpayer ID using passport info and marriage certificate.  Drivers licenses and vehicle ownership vary by state, and for us that is the only thing we want to accomplish that is currently unavailable.

Good luck with the upcoming interview!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
14 hours ago, IdAuHunter said:

I'm wondering if anyone has run into this issue. I work for a hospital system. My fiance interviews soon. If approved she'd likely move her about October.

I contacted my employer about adding her and her daughter to my insurance plan after the wedding. I was told they'd need a copy of the birth certificate, marriage license AND Social Security Number or Taxpayer ID.

Obvious issue being we'll be legally married but she won't have a SSN until their status is adjusted. 

I looked into Taxpayer ID's and it appears as if non-immigrants can apply for a Taxpayer ID number. We'll likely be married in Oct so I'd also need a taxpayer ID for them if I'm going to claim them as dependents. 

My stepdaughter takes medication for a chronic endocrine issue. Nothing major and well managed, but she does take medication daily. Since she has a pre-existing condition travelers insurance won't work to bridge the gap. It's imperative I get her on my employer sponsored plan ASAP. 

Any advice? Has anyone filed for a taxpayer ID for their K1/K2 beneficiaries?

I work for a large insurance company and they made my husband a dummy number.to use. He has had no problems receiving services. 

Filed: Other Timeline
18 hours ago, IdAuHunter said:

Good to know. It sounded off to me. I pushed back via email, but haven't heard back from HR yet (shocking).

Tell them you need to speak to their insurance rep. My HR at first pushed back about the SSN but then consulted with the insurance rep who told her we don't need it to enroll him and opened up the option button for her to opt out of the SSN requirement when signing him up online. This was through BCBS of Texas. They didn't, however, provide an insurance card until they got the social security number but the services were open for him to use through my insurance by showing mine.

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days & AOS w/EAD and AP: 180 days

Spoiler

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days                                                                                                                               AOS from K1 w/EAD and AP: 180 days

09/12/18: NOA1 old site (9/17 new site)                                                                                                     05/22/19: AOS package mailed to Chicago, IL

01/28/19: NOA2 new site (old site never changed)                                                                                   05/24/19: USCIS Received date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/19/19: NVC Received                                                                                                                                05/29/19: Notice date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/20/19: Case Number Assigned                                                                                                               06/19/19: Biometrics Appointment

04/05/19: Interview - APPROVED!                                                                                                                06/14/19: Biometrics Completed - walk in

04/08/19: CEAC-NIV Application Received                                                                                                 08/06/19: Ready to be Scheduled for Interview Status

04/09/19: CEAC-NIV Administrative Processing                                                                                       10/11/19: Interview Scheduled status

04/10/19: CEAC- Issued                                                                                                                                 11/05/19: EAD/AP approved

04/12/19: Visa in hand                                                                                                                                   11/16/19: EAD/AP card Received

04/30-5/1/19: POE via IAH - Houston, TX                                                                                                   11/18/19: AOS Interview - APPROVED! same day status change to Approved, then New Card being Produced

05/10/19: I Do's!                                                                                                                                               11/25/19: Green Card in Hand

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

08/20/21: Filed ROC

08/23/21: USCIS received package

08/25/21: Text received/Case # assigned

08/26/22: Case transferred to NBC for "speedy processing"

Citizenship:

08/22/22: Filed N-400 online

08/22/22: NOA1/Biometrics Reused                                                                                                           

I have BC/BS under FEHB. No SSN required for spouse. I didn't have a problem with BC/BS but I did have to be persistent with my HR. I finally found someone who took the time to look up the actual instructions that a SSN was not required at time of coverage but to be provided afterward "as soon as possible." We received the insurance card without SSN.

Edited by boris64

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

The only entity that can require you to provide a SSN is the IRS.  Insurance companies, doctors offices, etc. ask for it (and make it seem like a requirement) but you do not have to provide it.  When my wife came over on her K1, we filed for her SSN and were able to get it in a few weeks.  Her 2 kids, as K2s were not allowed to get a SSN until after AOS.  For tax purposes you can get them an ITIN for filing taxes and using that for dependent filing.  When we married, I was able to add all 3 to my employer's health insurance.  Again, they asked for SSN for all.  Since there was no way for me to provide it, they were able to still add them to for coverage.  So, if anyone other than the IRS is "requiring" your SSN, you have a right to push back and have them find a way around it.

x

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline
23 hours ago, IdAuHunter said:

I'm wondering if anyone has run into this issue. I work for a hospital system. My fiance interviews soon. If approved she'd likely move her about October.

I contacted my employer about adding her and her daughter to my insurance plan after the wedding. I was told they'd need a copy of the birth certificate, marriage license AND Social Security Number or Taxpayer ID.

Obvious issue being we'll be legally married but she won't have a SSN until their status is adjusted. 

I looked into Taxpayer ID's and it appears as if non-immigrants can apply for a Taxpayer ID number. We'll likely be married in Oct so I'd also need a taxpayer ID for them if I'm going to claim them as dependents. 

My stepdaughter takes medication for a chronic endocrine issue. Nothing major and well managed, but she does take medication daily. Since she has a pre-existing condition travelers insurance won't work to bridge the gap. It's imperative I get her on my employer sponsored plan ASAP. 

All I needed was the marriage certificate to add my wife to the insurance.

Dan

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
On 8/7/2019 at 2:35 PM, IdAuHunter said:

You can get a SSN before the AOS, it’s easy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.