Devon&Sandra

I-130/I-129F or CR1/IR1 and K3 Frequently Asked Questions

37 posts in this topic

~~moved to process and procedures from progress reports~~

Thank you for making a Q&A for this unique situation. 

I really suggest is making a spreadsheet to accurately track those in Nebraska and their experience with filing the I-129F (for example I-130 NOA1 date, I-129F NOA1 date, RFE if any, & decision date as basic columns.)

This allows you to track trends. 

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
23 hours ago, NikLR said:

~~moved to process and procedures from progress reports~~

Thank you for making a Q&A for this unique situation. 

I really suggest is making a spreadsheet to accurately track those in Nebraska and their experience with filing the I-129F (for example I-130 NOA1 date, I-129F NOA1 date, RFE if any, & decision date as basic columns.)

This allows you to track trends. 

We already have most of it on Nebraska FB group, but yes I can make a spreadsheet and share it here :) 

February 13 2015: Started dating (met in New Orleans)

February 13 2018: Married in New Orleans

March 29 2019: PD for 1-130 (Spouse) - Nebraska Service Center

May 20 2019 : PD for 129F (K3 spouse visa)

June 21 2019 : I129F denial

June 22 2019 : I130 APPROVAL (only 85 days after submission) 😀 

July 17 2019 : sent to NVC by NSC

September 03 2019 : received case number (72 days after approval - it was a long 10 weeks waiting time  😶)

September 06 2019 : payed fees 

September 11 2019 : uploaded documents (Financial & civil) + submit DS-260

October 17 2019 : documents reviewed by NVC - one document missing / others approved (first review after 35 days / 5 weeks)

October 21 2019 : missing document submitted (police certificate from another country I lived in - this country is requiring 2 different police certificates and I only had one...stupid mistake)

November 22 2019 Documentary Qualified email :D 

December 10 2019 Medical done 

December 16 2019 Interview Letter

January 22 2020 Interview - APPROVED 😍

January 28 2020 Visa on hand 

February 25th 2020 Travel day

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

**One non-contributory post removed along with posts quoting or referring to it.**

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline
On 7/19/2019 at 11:51 AM, Devon&Sandra said:

3.      How do I file I-129F

In order to file I-129F (K3) you must be US Citizen and have an I-130 pending on behalf of your spouse. Once you receive your NOA1 for I-130 you are ready to file I-129F.

You can file both the I-130 and I-129F forms together:  "You may file Form I-129F together with or after filing Form I-130. If you file Form I-129F after filing Form I-130, include a copy of the Form I-797, Notice of Action, to show that USCIS received your Form I-130. "

Source : "Applying for the visa" section on this page https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/k-3k-4-nonimmigrant-visas

Although that is not necessarily a good idea since you don't know to which service center your I-130 petition will be sent and we don't know the impact in centers other than Nebraska.

Edited by JulienR
Spelling

For our story, look at my profile.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, yellowtulips said:

My 130 pd July 15th and the 129f (spouse) receipt date is August 26th. I noticed my 130 NOA has a receipt and priority date (same date) but the 129f has no priority date only receipt. Is that typical or an error? Am I supposed to have a new priority date for the 129f? 

Ours is the same. I’m pretty sure that’s normal as I’ve never seen anyone mention a priority date for the I-129f. 

Our timeline is very similar to yours - about week ahead on both forms 

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
On 7/19/2019 at 12:51 PM, Devon&Sandra said:

I-130/I-129F or CR1/IR1 and K3 Frequently Asked Questions

Hello to everybody. I have put here some FAQ regarding I-129F/ K3 path.

To have all necessary information please read EVERYTHING before asking already answered questions.

Also read more detailed information on https://www.uscis.gov/i-129f and https://www.visajourney.com/content/compare/

Always double check everything you read on US government official sites : https://www.uscis.gov/ and https://travel.state.gov/content/travel.html

1.      What are we talking about?

We are talking about spousal visas.

There are 2 legal paths to bring your spouse in US.

The most common one is CR1/IR1 visa – in order to apply for it you have to fulfill I-130 form and attach all required documents.

K3 path is additional route that is not really used anymore because only few K3 get approved per year. As today, it is considered to be obsolete. In order to apply for it you need to have I130 pending and file I-129F + attach all required documents.

In order to compare those 2 paths and their costs : https://www.visajourney.com/content/compare/

2.      If K3 is obsolete, why are everyone on this group talking about it?

Some members of this group decided to try K3 route in order to bring their spouse in US while I-130 was pending because of increased processing time in Nebraska Service Center (11-14 months).

By doing this, we discovered the following: I-129F is systematically denied but I-130 is approved faster (approximatively one month after your I-129F PD).

3.      How do I file I-129F

In order to file I-129F (K3) you must be US Citizen and have an I-130 pending on behalf of your spouse. Once you receive your NOA1 for I-130 you are ready to file I-129F.

Filing fee: NO FEE

Needed documents and address: https://www.uscis.gov/i-129f

Documents required to file (I recommend to make a cover letter too):

-        Form 129F fully completed.

-        Form G-1145 for e-notification (not mandatory)

-        Evidence of US Citizenship

-        Marriage certificate

-        Divorce decrees if applicable (yours and yours spouse)

-        NOA 1 of your I-130 filed on behalf of your spouse

-        1 passport photo of petitioner and 1 passport photo of beneficiary

Address where you send your file:

File Form I-129F at the USCIS Dallas Lockbox facility:

For U.S. Postal Service (USPS):

USCIS

P.O. Box 660151

Dallas, TX 75266

For FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:

USCIS

Attn: I-129F

2501 South State Highway 121 Business

Suite 400

Lewisville, TX 75067

4.      Isn’t I-129F for unmarried people / to bring your fiancée?

Yes, it is the same form for fiancée visa but it works for spouses as well.

For more information please read : https://www.uscis.gov/i-129f and https://www.visajourney.com/content/compare/

5.      What happens if I-129F is approved before I-130?

Then K3 visa can be issued. And you can follow K3 path as explained here : https://www.visajourney.com/content/compare/

But it is more expensive path and your spouse won’t be able to work right away upon his/her arrival to US.

You can choose either to go along with K3 path or to ignore it and wait for your I-130 to be approved in order to follow standard route (USCIC – NVC- Embassy)

It is highly improbable that K3 will be issued though.

6.      Why is this working?

Nobody can tell. And no one knows for how long this will work. I know the case from 2017 where people applied for both and waited 1 year to be approved on I130. Their I129F got denied only a year later.

7.      If I am already in the I-130 process for a long time – should I still file I-129F

If you have approximatively 1- or 2-months waiting time left, then it is probably useless to file. It can help to speed up all other cases.

8.      What is the impact on my I-130 petition?

It can’t hurt it. It can only speed it up.

9.      And if I don’t want to file it?

Then you don’t. It is your choice.

very informative .

just one question -if your spouse is abroad will you submit his/her passport photo?

Edited by Edddie&Beatrice

4 minutes ago, Edddie&Beatrice said:

very informative .

just one question -if your spouse is abroad will you submit his/her passport photo?

If you want to submit the passport photo it's easy!
The internet is here to save you.

1. Have the beneficiary download a passport photo app. 
  2. The app will create a 4x6 picture of 2x2 photos 
  3. Go to your favorite photo print shop. Walgreens, CVS, etc shouldn't cost you a lot <.50 cents.
  4. Cut them with a razor, or scissors. 
  5. Celebrate!!!

01/28/2019 - Mailed Express Mail USCIS Lockbox Phoenix

01/29/2019 - Received by Phoenix Lockbox
02/04/2019 - Receipt Notice Via Text Message assigned to Nebraska Service Center 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, JMPM said:

If you want to submit the passport photo it's easy!
The internet is here to save you.

1. Have the beneficiary download a passport photo app. 
  2. The app will create a 4x6 picture of 2x2 photos 
  3. Go to your favorite photo print shop. Walgreens, CVS, etc shouldn't cost you a lot <.50 cents.
  4. Cut them with a razor, or scissors. 
  5. Celebrate!!!

👏👏 great, thanks 

But is it a must to submit the passport photo 

Just now, Edddie&Beatrice said:

👏👏 great, thanks 

Some posts I've read haven't done it. 
Just be aware the individuals that have succeeded in this have been Nebraska Fillers. 
Unless you made a mistake with your timeline Potomac is a fast service center. You won the lottery with that. 

01/28/2019 - Mailed Express Mail USCIS Lockbox Phoenix

01/29/2019 - Received by Phoenix Lockbox
02/04/2019 - Receipt Notice Via Text Message assigned to Nebraska Service Center 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
1 hour ago, Edddie&Beatrice said:

👏👏 great, thanks 

Yes you do have to submit passport photo.

But if you are at Potomac, there isn’t much sense in filing it :) 

February 13 2015: Started dating (met in New Orleans)

February 13 2018: Married in New Orleans

March 29 2019: PD for 1-130 (Spouse) - Nebraska Service Center

May 20 2019 : PD for 129F (K3 spouse visa)

June 21 2019 : I129F denial

June 22 2019 : I130 APPROVAL (only 85 days after submission) 😀 

July 17 2019 : sent to NVC by NSC

September 03 2019 : received case number (72 days after approval - it was a long 10 weeks waiting time  😶)

September 06 2019 : payed fees 

September 11 2019 : uploaded documents (Financial & civil) + submit DS-260

October 17 2019 : documents reviewed by NVC - one document missing / others approved (first review after 35 days / 5 weeks)

October 21 2019 : missing document submitted (police certificate from another country I lived in - this country is requiring 2 different police certificates and I only had one...stupid mistake)

November 22 2019 Documentary Qualified email :D 

December 10 2019 Medical done 

December 16 2019 Interview Letter

January 22 2020 Interview - APPROVED 😍

January 28 2020 Visa on hand 

February 25th 2020 Travel day

Timeline
14 hours ago, JMPM said:

Some posts I've read haven't done it. 
Just be aware the individuals that have succeeded in this have been Nebraska Fillers. 
Unless you made a mistake with your timeline Potomac is a fast service center. You won the lottery with that. 

It's no mistake we got Potomac and we are happy about it read that they are processing may and June  so in December we might hear from them 👏👏👏👏

13 hours ago, Devon&Sandra said:

Yes you do have to submit passport photo.

But if you are at Potomac, there isn’t much sense in filing it :) 

Thank you ✔️✔️

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline
On 7/20/2019 at 5:03 AM, Devon&Sandra said:

We already have most of it on Nebraska FB group, but yes I can make a spreadsheet and share it here :) 

Hi,

Is it possible to see this spreadsheet or receive a link to the FB group so that I can join and see the spreadsheet that way?

I am looking to do this since our case was sent to Nebraska.

Thank you!

Married: July 17, 2019  :wub:

I-130 mailed: October 11, 2019 

I-130 received: October 14, 2019 

I-130 NOA1: October 18, 2019 - NEBRASKA 

I-130 NOA2: April 28th, 2020 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.