Devon&Sandra

I-130/I-129F or CR1/IR1 and K3 Frequently Asked Questions

37 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
3 hours ago, LilyJ said:

Yes of course. He is free to visit you as much as you want

is this for sure? im sorry to ask... but do you have any links that states this? i couldnt find any...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Shaleena Cole said:

is this for sure? im sorry to ask... but do you have any links that states this? i couldnt find any...

Yes it is for sure, people visit each other during the visa process all the time. I visited my husband in his country after starting the process while waiting the I130 approval and my husband even came here and visited to the US after the I130 was approved during NVC stage. Your husband is not required to stay in the US the entirety of the process, he is allowed to travel anywhere in the world that he wants during the process. Visiting each other is actually good because you will have more visitation and bona fide marriage evidence come interview time. If you have a tourist visa you may also travel to the US to visit as well (though entry is not guaranteed if they think you will stay). But yes he 100% can visit, many and most have done so during the visa process. Only thing you would have to "worry" about is mail but should anything happen with the petition you will get notified online anyways 

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, LilyJ said:

Yes it is for sure, people visit each other during the visa process all the time. I visited my husband in his country after starting the process while waiting the I130 approval and my husband even came here and visited to the US after the I130 was approved during NVC stage. Your husband is not required to stay in the US the entirety of the process, he is allowed to travel anywhere in the world that he wants during the process. Visiting each other is actually good because you will have more visitation and bona fide marriage evidence come interview time. If you have a tourist visa you may also travel to the US to visit as well (though entry is not guaranteed if they think you will stay). But yes he 100% can visit, many and most have done so during the visa process. Only thing you would have to "worry" about is mail but should anything happen with the petition you will get notified online anyways 

oh wow thank you very much! thats helpful. my brother is getting married next month and my family members really want him to travel to thailand to attend the wedding which is why im asking. but this is great information.... i mean.... are you saying that i can actually apply for a tourist visa and visit him in USA as well while i130 is stiil in process if thats the case? i had no idea about that.... do you actually have infomation on an official site that states so?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
1 minute ago, Shaleena Cole said:

oh wow thank you very much! thats helpful. my brother is getting married next month and my family members really want him to travel to thailand to attend the wedding which is why im asking. but this is great information.... i mean.... are you saying that i can actually apply for a tourist visa and visit him in USA as well while i130 is stiil in process if thats the case? i had no idea about that.... do you actually have infomation on an official site that states so?

If you don't already have a tourist visa you will probably have a very hard time getting one being married to a US citizen, since acquiring a tourist visa requires proving you don't have immigration intent, for those who already have a tourist visa though may use it to travel to the US. However your husband should have no problems visiting you in Thailand during the process and may do so as much as you and he like during the visa process and for as long as Thailand government will permit him to. I visited my husband in Denmark for 2 and a half months during the summer

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

Timeline
1 minute ago, LilyJ said:

If you don't already have a tourist visa you will probably have a very hard time getting one being married to a US citizen, since acquiring a tourist visa requires proving you don't have immigration intent, for those who already have a tourist visa though may use it to travel to the US. However your husband should have no problems visiting you in Thailand during the process and may do so as much as you and he like during the visa process and for as long as Thailand government will permit him to. I visited my husband in Denmark for 2 and a half months during the summer

okay thank you so much!!

• 11 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for this very informative post. We just filed our i130 online and got confirmation that our file has been sent to Nebraska.

My question is - does anyone know if filing i-129F has worked recently (circa mid 2020) to speed up i130 processing?

Also what does pd stand for?

(Sorry, new to the whole process and learning...)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
38 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

Thanks for this very informative post. We just filed our i130 online and got confirmation

Welcome to the forum.

39 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

does anyone know if filing i-129F has worked recently (circa mid 2020) to speed up i130 processing?

It has not.

39 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

what does pd stand for

Priority Date.

If you've been waiting a little too long, it becomes Pizza Delivery. :P 

-------

Old thread is now locked to further comment.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.