mika__

confused about our case at NVC/embassy

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

hi everyone

me and my husband are currently at the NVC stage for our CR-1 visa. We sent in everything/paid all fee's April 11th and just waiting to hear back.

Me and my husband filed through a lawyer who sent everything to NVC April 11. We have not heard anything from our lawyer since. My husband has gone into our lawyers office a couple times to check on our case status and about 2 weeks ago he went in and asked about our visa status and the front desk clerk told my husband that our "visa was at the embassy and that we are just waiting on the embassy to get back to us, and the embassy is taking a long time"

(Im Canadian living in Canada and the embassy I would be going to is Montreal)

That left me a little confused, I thought since we were at the NVC stage that once completed at NVC we would be NOTIFIED that our case was completed there, then our case would go to the embassy where we would wait and choose an interview date correct?

we have not gotten anything about an interview date

I would call NVC or try and look up our case online however our lawyer will not give us any of our visa info to do so due to he said it would cause issues with our case somehow and advised us not to call NVC (I dont know why but thats what he said to us multiple times)

I did not want a lawyer at all, my husband insisted. I wish we just used VJ on our own to go through all this

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

You don’t even have the NVC case number? All you need is that other than your and your husbands info to call NVC.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Just now, arken said:

You don’t even have the NVC case number? All you need is that other than your and your husbands info to call NVC.

Nope, lawyer wont give it to us and told us we should not call NVC, and to just wait until the lawyer gets back to us

little odd to me

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
26 minutes ago, mika__ said:

Nope, lawyer wont give it to us and told us we should not call NVC, and to just wait until the lawyer gets back to us

little odd to me

What about uscis i130 receipt number? Nothing? You can inquire with NVC with that too.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

4 minutes ago, MrsRamirez said:

You definitely would have saved a whole lot of money doing it yourself for free.  Lawyers do not expedite things.  they do the same thing we all did and you wait the same as us all.  I am sorry that you are going through this.  Like previous post I would demand that they send me my information.  I'm confused why you have not gotten any correspondence.  They usually send it to all parties involved. 

This is usually the case but not always. If you stay a while you will see cases like this happen and sometimes get drawn out quite a bit because the lawyer is either withholding key information due to incompetence or downright negligence. 

2 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

This is usually the case but not always. If you stay a while you will see cases like this happen and sometimes get drawn out quite a bit because the lawyer is either withholding key information due to incompetence or downright negligence. 

and possibly to get more money. :unsure:

1 hour ago, mika__ said:

little odd to me

That is ridiculous. You need to ask for the case ID and invoice ID and login online to your NVC account and see what is happening. I don't think the lawyer has the right to keep these information away from you. I wonder why you don't have an email address on file so you will also be contacted for any case updates. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

Demand all your case numbers from the lawyer. He doesn't have the right to keep any of these from you.

If you at least have your case number from uscis through noa1 - you can also contact nvc with that. If you don't, if I were you I would also demand all written correspondence came from USCIS to be sent to you as well, as they don't need it and you should at least get the copies.

2 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

we have actually had problems with this lawyer, I keep wanting to fire him. My husband just doesnt seem to be understanding why this is a problem. So what your saying makes complete sense to me 😓

Time for a new lawyer.  Call NVC and use your USCIS number.  They will help you.  If you don't have that, call USCIS with your names and birthdates and they can give you that number.  This is your life and the lawyer is only interested in making a few more dollars.  

NVC sets the interview.  That is set BEFORE they send the package to the Embassy.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Do you guys have the USCIS case number? You can find out the NVC/DOS number that way. It is taking Montreal a significant time to book interviews right now.  I think 6m+

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.