19 posts in this topic

Hello, I badly needed help as I missed my mom so much. My husband and I have been married for good 5years. We are in and out once a year to visit my family back in the Philippines. I just also received my permanent GC last year. I’m a housewife and only work for a year and half for the last 6 years  here in the US. ( I mentioned it just in case I needed to support my mom) my husband and I have a stable rental business.

My questions are; 

How can I start the process of bringing my mom here in the US?

Is it true that Tourist Visa is faster than if I petition her?

what are the requirements I need to prepare for her side ahead of time?

How long the Tourist Visa can deny nor approved?

All answers will highly appreciated. Please let me know as soon as possible what to do. 

Thanks to all.

x

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

sorry, but you can't petition a GC for her, only US Citizens can petition for parents

she can try to get a tourist visa, on her own merits to visit you from time to time, but there is nothing you need to do on your part

you can fill out the form for her, but the rest is on her, she will need to show strong ties to her country

Your mother can’t t use a tourist visa to immigrate to the US. That is considered fraud because a tourist visa is only for tourism.

That aside, you can’t petition for your mother until you are a US citizen.

If your mother were to get a tourist visa, she would need to return to her home country in the allotted time.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As mentioned:  you’ll need to apply, and be approved for naturalization before you can petition for her to receive in a greencard.

Until then, she can apply for a tourist visa, which will be approved on her merits (your income is irrelevant), and she can only visit.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As an alternative to the ideas mentioned above---as a LPR you can also visit her.

Info on applying for a tourist visa is https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html 

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

5 minutes ago, Cryssiekins said:

As mentioned:  you’ll need to apply, and be approved for naturalization before you can petition for her to receive in a greencard.

Until then, she can apply for a tourist visa, which will be approved on her merits (your income is irrelevant), and she can only visit.  

The other thing as well, she has a decent job for 10years up to date. She only renting an apartment and has a pig farm in the philippines. I wonder if this will be a cause to deny her? She dont have a very strong ties except my 4 other siblings are there. She is also building a 3 storey house but the title of the lot is not on her name yet. 

2 minutes ago, xkomunikado said:

Is that mean my brother can apply for a tourist visa as well? He is a public high school teacher. Don’t own anything yet.

Anybody can apply for a tourist visa. 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Anyone can apply, as there is no sponsorship or invitation letter accepted for tourist visas.  They will be judged on their ties to the Philippines.

Please don't try to have her adjust status on a B visa.  That would be fraudulent as you're already planning for her immigration.  Everyone misses their family when they live abroad, and we all have to wait our turn in the queue.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

*As others have already said green card holders can't petition for parents; only USC can.

*Anyone can apply for Tourist Visa. It's not something you petition for; you just apply. Tourists visas for not for immigrating purposes. 

*You can petition for your parents after you naturalize as a USC.

You are asking about two completely different things here. 

Tourist visas are for visiting only. Anyone in the world can apply for one, whether they have family here or not. It’s the same process for your mother whether she has family here or not, except on the DS-160 application form she must  state that she has family members here. 

Petitioning a parent is for them to live here permanently. Only USCs can do this. 

You cannot use one process to achieve the other aim (in other words you cannot use a tourist visa to come here to live permanently and you cannot have a green card but live overseas and just use it to visit). 

Curious as to how you have only recently become an LPR but you have been here over 6 years. What was your status prior to that? 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Is that mean my brother can apply for a tourist visa as well? He is a public high school teacher. Don’t own anything yet.

Many school districts in the US are desperate for teachers.  He should look into an H-1-B or J-1.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.