Hawksquill

How much do affidavits help as evidence, and are they worth it?

21 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!  It's been a while since I've been on VJ but my husband is eligible to apply for ROC in September, so we're beginning to prepare now.  I've started reviewing the guides on the USCIS website and VJ, and compiling a list of the evidence we'll be able to submit come September.  I was wondering if affidavits from friends and family members are still commonly used as evidence for the ROC process, and if so, how helpful they are?  We have members of my family and a couple friends who I'm sure would be happy to make an affidavit for us, but I don't necessarily want to put them through the hassle if the evidentiary value is minimal.  

Here's the evidence we'll be submitting: 

-Various photos - our wedding and honeymoon, vacations, leisure time, anniversaries, family weddings and reunions with both of our families

-Mortgage documents proving we are co-owners of our house

-Home insurance documents in both our names

-Joint bank account statements, checking and savings 

-Life insurance documents proving we are the beneficiaries of one another's life insurance policies

-Retirement account documents proving we are the beneficiaries of one another's retirement accounts

-Scans of health insurance cards proving we are on the same account

-Utility bills in both our names

-Copy of joint federal and state tax returns - multiple years. 

Is this enough that affidavits aren't necessary/recommended?  If affidavits are still generally recommended, what's the timeline for getting them signed/notarized?  Most of our family and some of our friends live out of state, so they'd need to go to a notary local to them and then send it to us...if it's dated a couple months before we submit, would that be okay? 

August 20, 2016 ----> May 5, 2021

1,720 days ----> 4 years, 8 months, and 16 days

DONE with our visa journey and USCIS!

K1:

Spoiler

8/20/2016: I-129F packet mailed
10/20/2016: NOA2

1/20/2017: Interview (approved!)

2/20/2017: POE Philadelphia

3/18/2017: Wedding!

Adjustment of Status:

Spoiler

5/11/2017:  I-485, I-131, and I-765 packets mailed to Chicago lockbox

5/18/2017: NOA

5/30/2017:  Biometrics completed (walk-in, East Hartford, CT ASC)

8/2017-9/2017: Three service requests and case request to Congresswoman submitted for I-765

10/7/2017:  EAD/AP combo card received 

12/14/2017: Interview!

12/30/2017: GC received

Removal of Conditions: 

Spoiler

9/16/2019: Packet mailed to Dallas lockbox

9/23/2019: NOA date

10/24/2019: Biometrics completed (East Hartford, CT ASC) 

8/18/2020: Case approved

9/8/2020: GC in hand!

Citizenship:

Spoiler

9/17/2020: N-400 filed online

9/25/2020: Hard copy NOA received

11/12/2020: Biometrics reuse notice on USCIS account

3/19/2021: Email notification that USCIS has taken action on our case

3/31/2021: Interview notice

5/5/2021: Interview in Lawrence, MA (our field office is Hartford, CT)

5/5/2021: Approval and same day oath ceremony due to COVID-19!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Personally, I had similar evidence....I didn't send any affidavits.  My opinion is that they carry such little weight for the trouble they are to create......I could pay ANYONE to get a notarized statement saying ANYTHING...meaning they are meaningless in the presence of good evidence.......co-mingling finances, joint ownership of property, and legal documents normally created a part of a marriage are much more valuable, in my humble opinion.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

7 minutes ago, Hawksquill said:

Hi everyone!  It's been a while since I've been on VJ but my husband is eligible to apply for ROC in September, so we're beginning to prepare now.  I've started reviewing the guides on the USCIS website and VJ, and compiling a list of the evidence we'll be able to submit come September.  I was wondering if affidavits from friends and family members are still commonly used as evidence for the ROC process, and if so, how helpful they are?  We have members of my family and a couple friends who I'm sure would be happy to make an affidavit for us, but I don't necessarily want to put them through the hassle if the evidentiary value is minimal.  

-Various photos - our wedding and honeymoon, vacations, leisure time, anniversaries, family weddings and reunions with both of our families

-Life insurance documents proving we are the beneficiaries of one another's life insurance policies

-Retirement account documents proving we are the beneficiaries of one another's retirement accounts

Is this enough that affidavits aren't necessary/recommended?  If affidavits are still generally recommended, what's the timeline for getting them signed/notarized?  Most of our family and some of our friends live out of state, so they'd need to go to a notary local to them and then send it to us...if it's dated a couple months before we submit, would that be okay? 

The documentation that you have right now looks to be more than enough that affidavits will not be needed at this point in time. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Boiler said:

For a small fee I will provide an affidavit, what would you like it to say?

🤣  

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

19 minutes ago, Boiler said:

This really got me big time. LOL! :lol:

VERMONT SERVICE CENTER - I-751 ROC

05/11/17: Date of I-751
05/12/17: VSC received our package

05/12/17: NOA Date
05/14/17: NOA Arrived in the mail & check cashed

06/22/17: Biometrics Appointment at ASC Manhattan

04/09/18: Online changed to case transferred to local office but no actual letter

06/13/18: Card Being Produced - NO RFE/NO INTERVIEW

06/16/18: Approval Letter arrived in the mail with 06/13/18 approval date

06/18/18: Card was picked up by USPS

06/20/18: Received 10 years Green Card from the mail - END OF I-751 JOURNEY!

E-FILING (IOE) N-400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION

06/21/18: Submitted Online
06/22/18: Received NOA Online

06/23/18: Online account updated to Biometrics scheduled on 07/12/18

06/25/18: NOA letter arrived in the mail

06/28/18: Biometrics appointment letter arrived in the mail

07/12/18: Biometrics appointment at ASC Manhattan

02/28/19: In Line for Interview

03/01/19: Interview Date is on 04/08/19

04/08/19: Interview Day: Approved on the spot

04/09/19: We Scheduled your Oath Ceremony 

04/12/19: Oath Letter arrived in the mail

05/02/19: Oath Ceremony - OFFICIALLY U.S. CITIZEN AND END OF IMMIGRATION JOURNEY!

DS-11 - APPLICATION FOR US PASSPORT BOOK AND CARD

05/02/19: Submitted application thru USPS - Expedited
05/06/19: Received email, passport application is now traceable online thru Travel.State.gov website (https://passportstatus.state.gov/Search)

05/08/19: Received email, passport has been printed and it's on final processing
05/09/19: Received email, passport application has been finished processing with USPS tracking number and expected delivery is on 05/14/2019

05/10/19: Receive email from USPS informed Delivery - Expected Passport delivery is on 05/11/2019

05/11/19: Passport book received thru USPS Priority Mail

05/13/19: Passport card received

05/14/19: Naturalization Certificate back - END OF PASSPORT APPLICATION!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Your evidence is very similar to what my wife and I submitted. We did not use affidavits from friends or family. However, we did use a couple of our friends as witnesses for ROC evidence in the form of Living Wills and Power of Attorneys. Wills and PoA's are good to have no matter what for married couples. Might as well do them now and submit them as extra evidence for your ROC application. Search the internet for templates for the State you reside in. Easy enough to do it yourself and have them notarized.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Very similar evidence as us and we did not provide affidavits. Approved with no RFE or interview.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Affidavits are best when the following situations are present:

1.  You live with a relative or a friend, and do not have a formal lease or mortgage to show that you live together, or utility payments to prove you live together.

2.  You have a marriage that is "unusual" in that you are of mixed races, have an unusual age gap, are not of the same religion, don't live together for reasons of work or school, or are a same-sex couple.  It is often helpful to have family, religious leaders, or school professors submit affidavits saying that they know of the perceived differences, but that the couple has their support.

3.  Your financial co-mingling is tentative, perhaps for very good reasons, but the evidence you can show is very weak.

If you have really strong financial co-mingling evidence, as well as living-together evidence, the affidavits are truly secondary evidence.

Best of luck to you!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

22 hours ago, Boiler said:

I totally agree with you if affidavit is written just general information as it is but how about this? 

Yes if i am requesting your affidavit for financial compensation, i would ask you followings to boost credibility that USCIS takes your affidavit as serious as possible and in case USCIS believe your affidavit is suspicious, they can go and track you down. 

1) your state ID (i.e driver license) with birth certificate as a proof that you are a USC or USCIS's approved documents that you are a US person 

2) In your statement, it includes all information is provided truthful and correct under penalty of perjury if falsely provided 

3) your address and written signature

Everything else is upto you as long as it is good information to prove good faith marriage and leave it to you. How much do you request for writing the affidavit? 

No offense to you or anyone but affidavit written attached with perjury and ID can strengthen the case. Plus, it will even give more credibility when you send group photos or other circumstantial evidences (i.e your boss or co-worker or family members who attended your wedding or party). 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

If evidences are strong , there is not need for two affidavits, but if it not to much pain, adding two more pages to bulky ROC file will not harm and might give peace of mind.  I did

Edited by dilip

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
36 minutes ago, xillini said:

I totally agree with you if affidavit is written just general information as it is but how about this? 

Yes if i am requesting your affidavit for financial compensation, i would ask you followings to boost credibility that USCIS takes your affidavit as serious as possible and in case USCIS believe your affidavit is suspicious, they can go and track you down. 

1) your state ID (i.e driver license) with birth certificate as a proof that you are a USC or USCIS's approved documents that you are a US person 

2) In your statement, it includes all information is provided truthful and correct under penalty of perjury if falsely provided 

3) your address and written signature

Everything else is upto you as long as it is good information to prove good faith marriage and leave it to you. How much do you request for writing the affidavit? 

No offense to you or anyone but affidavit written attached with perjury and ID can strengthen the case. Plus, it will even give more credibility when you send group photos or other circumstantial evidences (i.e your boss or co-worker or family members who attended your wedding or party). 

My small fee would not include all this, so that would be an up charge.

This is after all a subjective issue.

I am amused that you think USCIS would have the time or the inclination to track someone down. What would the issue be? They did not like my opinion?

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I sent three. Two are from my husband's colleagues and one from our neighbor. 

At least two affidavits are required as listed in the I-751 filing instructions, under the initial evidence of relationship. However, I do see that many people got approved without submitting affidavits, and I agree that affidavits don't carry much weight in evidence. Still, if it's not that much effort for you to get affidavits, then submit a couple. If for some reason it's not convenient to get one, then don't bother, instead submit a bunch of evidence of joint ownership & assets etc. 

Edited by cute_pretzel

ROC Timeline

01/02/2019: I-751 delivered to USCIS (Texas)

01/08/2019: check cashed & online status show "case received"

03/02/2019: 18-month extension letter received (LIN)

08/02/2019: biometrics letter received

08/23/2019: biometrics appointment

11/04/2019: approval letter received

11/05/2019: online status changed to "card in production"

11/07/2019: card received ✌️😊

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 3:22 PM, Hawksquill said:

Hi OP,

Affidavits can be useful in some situations, especially if you live in someone else's home, live with family, or have a lack of other evidence. We did have a lot of evidence similar to yours, but we live in a family home. We provided affidavits from those family members. They were not notarized. I can't say that it had an impact, but we certainly did get approved without interview.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.