sbny90

Persuing a K1 Visa after being denied F1 with me as a sponsor?

42 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, sbny90 said:

Started dating a Dominican girl here in NYC last year. Since then I was intrigued with Dominican women, learned quite a bit of spanish, had a ton of fun.

For (removed) and giggles I made a profile on a popular Dominican dating website and was receiving 15+ messages a day. A lot of gold digger types and others that I did not have much interest for. Recieved a message from one girl that had a lot of similiar interests. Went back and forth with text messages for a couple of days before she asked me to facetime. Initially she did not beleive I was as young as I was until the video chat.

We immediately clicked, started talking 2 hours every night and a couple weeks later I decided why not go and meet her, ive been wanting to visit DR anyway and just got my passport.

She works at the airport I flew to. Landed, met her and one of her friends after she got off work. Took a shuttle van to a well known hotel in the city. Both had one of the best times we ever had that weekend. Explored the city, had a lot of fun. Felt like we knew each other for a long time.

Told her I wanted her to come visit NY. She exaplained to me it's really not that easy. Again, this is when I was very ignorant to the topic of immigration. She's always wanted to study english in the US. Week later I proposed the Idea of maybe coming to study here for a few months. My income is comfortable and the tuition for the school was surprisingly cheap. School recommended we apply for a year, looks better on paper and i would not have to pay for the entire year if I wanted to just do a few months.

Started the process, booked another ticket to visit. I-20 happened to be ready just before my trip. Got denied, yada yada....

Yes lol, I can absolutely understand how this situation might look peculiar with the short duration of time. In fact it's completely taken me by surprise. Before I met her I actually did not see myself having a serious relationship anytime soon. However, for me, she fits the description of the ideal woman that's always been in the back of my mind. Beleive me, I am also shocked that I am in this position. But it just happened, it was not something that was planned for. To this day we speak for ~2 hrs a night and all throughout the day. I've tried finding a reason why I might be being taken for a ride. I cannot find one. The doubtful comments are very much expected and I understand why I am receiving them. I know exactly what this looks like from the outside. I am not concerned about any opinions about the validity of the relationship or seriousness, but I am asking a community for opinions on the topics of visa's, a community who im sure has much greater predicaments than I do and a community that might not take my situation seriously so I guess i owe an explanation of the incredibly short duration.

Admittedly, I do have somewhat of an impatient nature, but from my perspective everything makes sense to me and the experience i have had with other women makes me feel stronger about this one. I dont want to waste time and I feel like I am going in the right direction persuing this.

Hope that clears up any of your curiosities. Thanks for all the input so far!

I’m not trying to be negative about your relationship by sending this, but just wanted to offer some possible reasons as to why you could be being taken for a ride:

You live in America. 

That’s it. There are stories on here almost every single day about American citizens being convinced they’ve met the love of their life, only for that love to leave them as soon as they get their green card. Not only is this no doubt emotionally traumatising for those people, it can also be financially destructive, as you sign an affidavit of support before your partner emigrates, saying you will support them financially for many years, regardless of whether they choose to stay with you. There’s a guy on here who’s lost his home due to exactly this.

The reason it is so hard for people to be granted K1 visas in MENA countries is because visa-shopping is a known tactic - because for many people in those countries, America promises a new life, with many benefits that staying in their home countries would never offer.

To give an example, whenever my mother visits Morocco, she has men in their 20s hit on her, pretty much non-stop. She’s 62 - old enough to be their grandma - and she looks it! Somehow it’s hard to believe that she’s their pin-up type... (please note, my mum is very quick to tell these guys to leave her alone).

So, the fact that you live in America is reason enough - you’ve already said your girlfriend has always wanted to study English in US - you provide an ability to do that. The fact that you’ve said you’re well paid only makes it a more attractive prospect, I’m sure.

Please don’t take this as me doubting your relationship - for every false relationship or person that’s conned on here, there are several others that are genuine. But you 100% need to be confident that yours is genuine before agreeing to marry, and in such a short space of time, is that really possible? As someone mentioned above, suggesting you move there is a good test...but not rushing into anything is also a good idea. Are you at a stage in your relationship where you’d feel comfortable and trusting to withdraw all your savings, your 401K, your prized possessions, leave them on the table and say “help yourself”...because that’s kind of what you’re doing when you sign the affidavit and get married...

Edited by Unlockable

41 minutes ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

I’m not trying to be negative about your relationship by sending this, but just wanted to offer some possible reasons as to why you could be being taken for a ride:

You live in America. 

That’s it. There are stories on here almost every single day about American citizens being convinced they’ve met the love of their life, only for that love to leave them as soon as they get their green card. Not only is this no doubt emotionally traumatising for those people, it can also be financially destructive, as you sign an affidavit of support before your partner emigrates, saying you will support them financially for many years, regardless of whether they choose to stay with you. There’s a guy on here who’s lost his home due to exactly this.

The reason it is so hard for people to be granted K1 visas in MENA countries is because visa-shopping is a known tactic - because for many people in those countries, America promises a new life, with many benefits that staying in their home countries would never offer.

To give an example, whenever my mother visits Morocco, she has men in their 20s hit on her, pretty much non-stop. She’s 62 - old enough to be their grandma - and she looks it! Somehow it’s hard to believe that she’s their pin-up type... (please note, my mum is very quick to tell these guys to leave her alone).

So, the fact that you live in America is reason enough - you’ve already said your girlfriend has always wanted to study English in US - you provide an ability to do that. The fact that you’ve said you’re well paid only makes it a more attractive prospect, I’m sure.

Please don’t take this as me doubting your relationship - for every false relationship or person that’s conned on here, there are several others that are genuine. But you 100% need to be confident that yours is genuine before agreeing to marry, and in such a short space of time, is that really possible? As someone mentioned above, suggesting you move there is a good test...but not rushing into anything is also a good idea. Are you at a stage in your relationship where you’d feel comfortable and trusting to withdraw all your savings, your 401K, your prized possessions, leave them on the table and say “help yourself”...because that’s kind of what you’re doing when you sign the affidavit and get married...

Yeah I mean...

"Hey, I'm American and I'm offering you free housing, free food and free education in the US. Wanna chat?"

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

I am a bit surprised folks are saying the F1 should not affect the K1. I mean applying for a K1 right after a failed F1 if nothing at all should make a reasonable person (read consular officer) doubt the genuineness of the fiancée relationship especially when the relationship is so new. 

And we we all know fiancé visas have lower approval rates among immigrant applications and can be denied for virtually the flimsiest of reasons. 

The F1 doesn’t make her ineligible however it will invite more scrutiny and raised eyebrows, IMO. Altogether I am very doubtful this application will be successful.

Edited by Just Observing

5 minutes ago, Just Observing said:

I am a bit surprised folks are saying the F1 should not affect the K1. I mean applying for a K1 right after a failed F1 if nothing at all should make a reasonable person (read consular officer) doubt the genuineness of the fiancée relationship especially when the relationship is so new. 

And we we all know fiancé visas have lower approval rates among immigrant applications and can be denied for virtually the flimsiest of reasons. 

The F1 doesn’t make her ineligible however it will invite more scrutiny and raised eyebrows, IMO. Altogether I am very doubtful this application will be successful.

I’m interested in this as well. The OP says he wants to explain and that he can do this and that but at the end of the day it’s her interview, and the OP didn't seem to realize that he couldn’t sponsor her for schooling.

I would tread carefully.

I agree with what someone else posted, say you’re willing to move to her country and start a life with her. See how she reacts after a few weeks.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Tons, and I mean tons of PI ( Private investigators) in the DR. For the price of the K1 application they will follow her for a week and tell you literally everything she is doing. You will know when she drops a deucer with date and time stamps, probably even photos if you request it. I had my fiancee investigated for a few weeks to make sure everything was on the up and up, and everything seems to have worked out fine. I have never told her, and will take it to the grave with me, but it is cheap insurance. I did the same thing for my best friend from high school who was interested in what looked like a nice girl, supposedly worked in a factory, but there were some inconsistencies with her when we both were in the country together and I met her. My now wife agreed with me that something seemed amiss with her. Hired a PI to find out she didn't work in a factory, worked as a Bar girl and was stringing along upwards of 10-12 " Boyfriends" for money. She was bringing in a small fortune ( I was impressed, made your 200k a year look like welfare wages), so you have to be careful. Never trust anyone, I repeat, anyone. it's sad this is the way the world is, but it is, no going back. Be careful out there, best of luck, and " Live Large".

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

11 hours ago, killadocg23 said:

I still think my suggestion of telling her that they should live in Dominica instead of the states first should be on the lists

Dominica and Dominican Republic are two completely separate countries.

19 hours ago, sbny90 said:

Started dating a Dominican girl here in NYC last year. Since then I was intrigued with Dominican women, learned quite a bit of spanish, had a ton of fun.

For shits and giggles I made a profile on a popular Dominican dating website and was receiving 15+ messages a day. A lot of gold digger types and others that I did not have much interest for. Recieved a message from one girl that had a lot of similiar interests. Went back and forth with text messages for a couple of days before she asked me to facetime. Initially she did not beleive I was as young as I was until the video chat.

We immediately clicked, started talking 2 hours every night and a couple weeks later I decided why not go and meet her, ive been wanting to visit DR anyway and just got my passport.

She works at the airport I flew to. Landed, met her and one of her friends after she got off work. Took a shuttle van to a well known hotel in the city. Both had one of the best times we ever had that weekend. Explored the city, had a lot of fun. Felt like we knew each other for a long time.

Told her I wanted her to come visit NY. She exaplained to me it's really not that easy. Again, this is when I was very ignorant to the topic of immigration. She's always wanted to study english in the US. Week later I proposed the Idea of maybe coming to study here for a few months. My income is comfortable and the tuition for the school was surprisingly cheap. School recommended we apply for a year, looks better on paper and i would not have to pay for the entire year if I wanted to just do a few months.

Started the process, booked another ticket to visit. I-20 happened to be ready just before my trip. Got denied, yada yada....

Yes lol, I can absolutely understand how this situation might look peculiar with the short duration of time. In fact it's completely taken me by surprise. Before I met her I actually did not see myself having a serious relationship anytime soon. However, for me, she fits the description of the ideal woman that's always been in the back of my mind. Beleive me, I am also shocked that I am in this position. But it just happened, it was not something that was planned for. To this day we speak for ~2 hrs a night and all throughout the day. I've tried finding a reason why I might be being taken for a ride. I cannot find one. The doubtful comments are very much expected and I understand why I am receiving them. I know exactly what this looks like from the outside. I am not concerned about any opinions about the validity of the relationship or seriousness, but I am asking a community for opinions on the topics of visa's, a community who im sure has much greater predicaments than I do and a community that might not take my situation seriously so I guess i owe an explanation of the incredibly short duration.

Admittedly, I do have somewhat of an impatient nature, but from my perspective everything makes sense to me and the experience i have had with other women makes me feel stronger about this one. I dont want to waste time and I feel like I am going in the right direction persuing this.

Hope that clears up any of your curiosities. Thanks for all the input so far!

You "can't find one"? How 'bout just that you're a living breathing American dude? I'm sorry but it doesn't matter how "intense" your connection to this woman is. Offering to pay for her entire schooling and life expenses after knowing her for ONE MONTH is extremely foolish, no matter how you try to slice it. And on top of all this, she is a foreigner, not an American citizen, which is forcing you and her to go through an intense legal process that is not meant to be taken lightly at all. It's not something you do "on a whim" just 'cause you're being led "by the feelz". It takes a lot of time, research, etc and this is all AFTER your relationship has matured enough that you know you'd like to spend the rest of your lives together.

17 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

An individual can sponsor someone for an F-1?  I thought that was an education visa that had to go through a college?

Financially? Yes. Although this is not legally binding...it's just to show that the student has a way to pay for the fees.

How many foreign students that you know can afford tens of thousands of dollars annually on their own?

That said, typically it's a parent or other close family member that does so. Having it be a USC they very recently met it a big red flag.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

4 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Financially? Yes. Although this is not legally binding...it's just to show that the student has a way to pay for the fees.

How many foreign students that you know can afford tens of thousands of dollars annually on their own?

That said, typically it's a parent or other close family member that does so. Having it be a USC they very recently met it a big red flag.

Okay.  I was thinking in terms of petitioning for a visa.

They are two different types of visas. It will not effect you filing k1.  Of course they will see you filed for her before and The interviewer may ask who filed for her before and what happened but it won't make or break the k1. Just have All your evidence and she needs to be confident and answer the questions correctly. You should do moc interview with her so she can feel comfortable answering.  

*** One post and another post quoting said post edited to remove inappropriate language. Please be aware that foul language of any kind is strictly prohibited.

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.