sbny90

Persuing a K1 Visa after being denied F1 with me as a sponsor?

42 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, carmel34 said:

There's no US visa for living together, to "just try things out," that's why the F-1 was denied.  To have had any chance to get an F-1, she would have had to be her own sponsor without your assistance, with enough strong ties to her home country to convince the CO that she would return home after she finished studying in the US.  She clearly had immigrant intent just from the fact that you sponsored her.  The only visa options for a romantic couple are K-1 and CR-1, so be sure, before going down either of those roads, by visiting her multiple times, don't rush such an important decision. Long-distance relationships are tough, but if true love and commitment develop, you can later file a petition for her.  Visit, visit, visit, to make sure her intentions are genuine, for your own protection.

Yes, all of this now is understood, however like I said, I did not know much about all of this before. I am now trying to figure out if these poor decisions i made in the past will affect a K1 now. Acknowledging that denial for an F1 doesnt get rid of the eligibility for a K1, might we run into any problems explaining why I was sponsor to the denied F1 and now applying for another type of visa with the same person?Thanks!

Also, a CR-1 is definitely considered, but judging from the workload the USCIS posts, the K1 was seeming like a better option in regards to timing

Edited by sbny90

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
8 minutes ago, sbny90 said:

Also, a CR-1 is definitely considered, but judging from the workload the USCIS posts, the K1 was seeming like a better option in regards to timing

Timing for what.  A K-1 is usually slower to having the Green card in hand.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

7 minutes ago, missileman said:

Timing for what.  A K-1 is usually slower to having the Green card in hand.

Getting here early would mean she could settle in quicker here, get to know the city better and it is to my understanding she would be able to attend a language school while waiting for the green card if the adjustment of status is in progress

Toss this idea to her...Tell her you are going to move to Dominica  to be with her. If she is against it or starts acting weird, then you know you are getting used. Simple and go along with that plan first and see what she says/reacts.

An individual can sponsor someone for an F-1?  I thought that was an education visa that had to go through a college?

5 hours ago, ArmyVet said:

Thanks, I understand the differences. I was just wondering why the OP oped for K-1 instead of CR-1, since it is a much easier process. I figured they would want to avoid the future hassle since they have been denied a Visa in the past. Anyhow best of luck on what ever they decide, the previous denial should not have an impact on their decision.

Perception of “hassle” is subjective, and CR-1s aren’t necessarily more likely to be approved than K-1s.

3 hours ago, sbny90 said:

Yes, all of this now is understood, however like I said, I did not know much about all of this before. I am now trying to figure out if these poor decisions i made in the past will affect a K1 now. Acknowledging that denial for an F1 doesnt get rid of the eligibility for a K1, might we run into any problems explaining why I was sponsor to the denied F1 and now applying for another type of visa with the same person?Thanks!

I highly recommend you read and research as much as possible before doing anything.  Naive choices around immigration can cost you lots of extra time and money.

1 hour ago, Jorgedig said:

I highly recommend you read and research as much as possible before doing anything.  Naive choices around immigration can cost you lots of extra time and money.

You're absolutely right, and this is exactly the reason why I am here. I would like to know if I might run into any problems with explaining to the officer why I am persuing a different visa with the same person after she being denied the F1.

What I did before was a mistake, and as you said a "naive choice". Hindsight is 20/20. I definitely should have researched and educated myself way more than I did in the past. While I wish I didnt do what ive done, what happened is done now though and I would like to move forward in a better way. So me coming here and posting is one step toward that goal.

Might you have any opinion or good advice on my concerns with having to explain about the F1 visa denial during an interview for a different visa?

I appreciate the posts from everyone telling me what I did before was not the correct way. I know its coming from a good place, I'm sure most people on this forum are speaking from a perspective of help. I am fully acknowledging my ignorant and unintentional misuse of the system no matter how small or big the extent was but I am coming here asking for answers about what problems I might expect now because of it, as the thread title states. 

If anyone can put aside their disapproval of the way I did things before and offer an opinion of what to do now I am all ears and sincerely grateful because this situation is very significant to me.

I hope this thread might offer advice to others who might be in a similiar situation, and so far it has by showing very explicitly to not do as I have done. However, I would like to learn more about the problem that is at hand, anyone care to chime in about it?

Thanks everybody!!!😊

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
9 hours ago, sbny90 said:

Hello everybody, 

I have some concerns about persuing a K1 visa for my girlfriend after her being denied an F1 with me as a sponsor. I'll give a timeline.

end of Feb 2019

Her and I start speaking online.

end of Mar 2019

I flew from NYC to Dominican Republic to meet her. I decided i wanted to sponsor her for an F1 with me as the sponsor, she would be living at my house and I would be paying all tuition for her to go to a language school in NYC for a year to improve her english.

week after I go to the school to get required documents and start the process.

End of April 2019

I recieve her I20 from the school, 2 days later I go to visit her again in DR. While there we do the online process to make the two appts at the US embassy in Santo Domingo. I leave and 2 weeks later she goes one day for biometrics and the following day for the interview.

Interview was the worst it couls have gone. The officer did not let her get any words in. Completely dismissed anything she had to say and denied the Visa.

Mid-May 2019

I go to visit her again for 5 days.

I now want to persue a K1 Visa. Before starting this process I was very ignorant to how seriously the embassy takes these things and now am very worried that they will consider the attempt at the F1 Visa fraud and as a way to get her here while trying to circumvent any other type of immagration process.

At the time the idea seemed great, we could see how it would go living with each other without pressure and she would improve her english at the same time. I had no intention of commiting any type or fraud.

We now have very strong feelings for each other and want to persue a K1 visa but are very worried the consulate will look back upon the F1 application and think something fishy is going on. Not only am I worried that this might ruin the process, I am also worried getting denied for the K1 might ruin her chances of ever entering the USA.

Ive consulted a very praised upon lawyer in my area and she says there is nothing to worry about. People change the way they feel all the time and we didnt know we wanted to get married until after the denial of the F1 visa.

Some other information

She is early 20's and I am in my late 20's

My income is pretty high compared to most people. My tax forms from last year show 200k in annual earnings. Ive recieved my passport in january of 2019, so very recent. She studied 850 hours of english classes from the Dominican government and is almost finished with a 4 year degree in psychology. She holds a decent job and lives and supports herself in Santiago.

Any opinions?

Thank you so much for reading this, I am so glad ive found this website, I have learned so much already just lurking and hope any of my experiences can help others!!!

From someone in the same age group as you, I'd recommend you take it slow here. You wouldn't want to end up paying $200K loans only for her to take off immediately after. A family friend of mine just learnt this the hard way.

Maybe sneak back into DR or hire someone to see what she's upto while you're away. I know this is not the right thing to do, but it'll save you $$$$ and heartaches later. However, if you find out she's shaky, you'll have dodged a bullet. All I am saying is, do some serious homework.

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

27 minutes ago, Timona said:

From someone in the same age group as you, I'd recommend you take it slow here. You wouldn't want to end up paying $200K loans only for her to take off immediately after. A family friend of mine just learnt this the hard way.

Maybe sneak back into DR or hire someone to see what she's upto while you're away. I know this is not the right thing to do, but it'll save you $$$$ and heartaches later. However, if you find out she's shaky, you'll have dodged a bullet. All I am saying is, do some serious homework.

I still think my suggestion of telling her that they should live in Dominica instead of the states first should be on the lists

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
11 minutes ago, killadocg23 said:

I still think my suggestion of telling her that they should live in Dominica instead of the states first should be on the lists

I agree.

Just to add, the family friend in question brought the girl over, took her to nursing school. As soon as she was done and had her GC, she took off. This was the story, incase you'd want to hear it

Edited by Timona
Typo

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

15 minutes ago, Timona said:

I agree.

Just to add, the family friend in question brought the girl over, took her to nursing school. As soon as she was done and had her GC, she took off. This was the story, incase you'd want to hear it

Wow unbelievable. What country was the girl from?

Yes, as ive learned during the process it is very common for a parent to be the sponsor.

I have never heard of that, either.  I think you’re confusing that with other visa classes.

You're absolutely right, and this is exactly the reason why I am here. I would like to know if I might run into any problems with explaining to the officer why I am persuing a different visa with the same person after she being denied the F1.

What I did before was a mistake, and as you said a "naive choice". Hindsight is 20/20. I definitely should have researched and educated myself way more than I did in the past. While I wish I didnt do what ive done, what happened is done now though and I would like to move forward in a better way. So me coming here and posting is one step toward that goal.

Might you have any opinion or good advice on my concerns with having to explain about the F1 visa denial during an interview for a different visa?

I appreciate the posts from everyone telling me what I did before was not the correct way. I know its coming from a good place, I'm sure most people on this forum are speaking from a perspective of help. I am fully acknowledging my ignorant and unintentional misuse of the system no matter how small or big the extent was but I am coming here asking for answers about what problems I might expect now because of it, as the thread title states. 

If anyone can put aside their disapproval of the way I did things before and offer an opinion of what to do now I am all ears and sincerely grateful because this situation is very significant to me.

I hope this thread might offer advice to others who might be in a similiar situation, and so far it has by showing very explicitly to not do as I have done. However, I would like to learn more about the problem that is at hand, anyone care to chime in about it?

Thanks everybody!!!😊

Best advice is to read and research as much as possible about your visa of choice.  Print out the USCIS optional instructions /checklist, and follow it.

Make  no assumptions. Assume you’re wrong.  Read extensively.  Listen to all advice, and then select some of it to follow.  Defer your ego.

And buckle up.  It’s quite the ride.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.