09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Roel said:

Why do you need an attorney? 

I probably don't "need" an attorney however I may want one depending upon cost and what they actually do for the process.  I'm very new to this and I don't know what I don't know and I can't afford any time consuming mistakes.  My assumption is that an attorney can steer me through the maze as quickly as possible.  However, I do not have unlimited funds so there's still that.  This Gurfinkle guy has come to my attention as competent but I'd like to hear from clients if possible.  

If you don't have unlimited funds, you shouldn't pay $1000+ to have a lawyer who could care less about you do the job of a minimum wage worker. 

You literally fill out a form with simple instructions and attach some documents. Unless you a straight up criminal or fiance/spouse is banned from the country, or illiterate, don't bother and spend an hour reading the instructions.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
57 minutes ago, Nov2017AD said:

If you don't have unlimited funds, you shouldn't pay $1000+ to have a lawyer who could care less about you do the job of a minimum wage worker. 

You literally fill out a form with simple instructions and attach some documents. Unless you a straight up criminal or fiance/spouse is banned from the country, or illiterate, don't bother and spend an hour reading the instructions.

What a wonderful message of kindmess & support.

If you want to why not.

11 minutes ago, Paul & Marina said:

What a wonderful message of kindmess & support.

If you want to why not.

Because lawyers will waste your time and money usually and end up complicating things because they could care less about the outcome of the case.

OP is under the impression this process is a maze when in actuality it's really fill out your name, check some boxes, attach a few photos, write a letter you willing to get married, provide proof of citizenship, provide proof you visit in last 2 year eg a plane ticket. Sign it, throw money at USCIS, and call it a day.

There are certain situations where a lawyer may be warranted eg. serious crime, fraud, bans.

This forum is better than all the lawyers in the world combined and help here is up to speed, and free. EDIT: As long as you're willing to do a bit of your own leg work, i.e. read simple instructions. 

Edited by MeghanK

K1 Visa:
Filed I-129f 4/14/2018
Interview 3/27/2019 (Approved)
Visa received 4/4/2019

AOS:
Filed I-485, I-131, I-765 6/21/2019

NOA1 6/24/2019

Biometrics 7/15/2019

EAD/AP Approved 11/12/2019

Interview 2/20/2020 (Approved pending missing medical)
Approved 3/23/2020

ROC:
Filed I-751 2/15/2022 

Case Received 2/17/2022
Text message received 2/22/2022

NOA1 Recieved 2/26/2022
Biometrics Waved 3/28/2022

11 hours ago, ram1009 said:

I'm considering hiring an attorney named Michael Gurfinkel to handle my K1 visa.  Does anybody have anything good or bad to say about him?

This site is largely people who didn't hire attorneys - if they'd hired attorneys they'd ask them the questions, rather than asking here.

Impossible to say without knowing your situation, but unless you have issues like a criminal record (for the immigrant) or other issues that might complicate the process, its unlikely you need a lawyer. The process might seem overwhelming, but its just a case of following check lists. Many of us here have done it - we had no issues, and I've since got my 10 year green card all without using a lawyer.

A lawyer won't know your parents' names, dates of birth, your previous addresses, previous marriages etc. They won't be able to obtain your full birth certificate, or divorce certificates, etc. So guess what - they'll just give you a list of things that YOU need to do. You're still going to end up doing most of the work. So why not cut out the middle man and just do the application yourself?

Edited by Limey

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

15 hours ago, ram1009 said:

I probably don't "need" an attorney however I may want one depending upon cost and what they actually do for the process.  I'm very new to this and I don't know what I don't know and I can't afford any time consuming mistakes.  My assumption is that an attorney can steer me through the maze as quickly as possible.  However, I do not have unlimited funds so there's still that.  This Gurfinkle guy has come to my attention as competent but I'd like to hear from clients if possible.  

if funds are limited, then you would be wasting a lot of it for an attorney

you will still do the vast majority of the work in getting all of the documents together, filling them out, sending them etc

an attorney will not be able to make the process go any faster, that is determined by caseload and how complicated your case may be. if you do not feel confident enough you could research some of the document preparation services which would be much less expensive and can help you navigate through this

RoC sent 10/30/21

NOA 11/16/21

Check Cashed 11/18/21

Biometrics Waived 01/19/2022

Beware the fury of a patient man.- John Dryden

Political attempts to require that others share your personal truths are, in their limit, dictatorships.- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
16 hours ago, ram1009 said:

I'm considering hiring an attorney named Michael Gurfinkel to handle my K1 visa.  Does anybody have anything good or bad to say about him?

Hey Ram1009 I sent you a message

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

OP, also keep in mind that when you pay all those thousands of dollars to hire "an attorney," that the person who actually fills out forms for you based on information you provide, and submits documents that you have to gather, is not an attorney, but a low-paid clerk that they hire to do the work for them.

3 hours ago, carmel34 said:

OP, also keep in mind that when you pay all those thousands of dollars to hire "an attorney," that the person who actually fills out forms for you based on information you provide, and submits documents that you have to gather, is not an attorney, but a low-paid clerk that they hire to do the work for them.

Exactly.  Attorneys cannot speed things up or affect an outcome.  

Timeline
14 hours ago, Nov2017AD said:

Because lawyers will waste your time and money usually and end up complicating things because they could care less about the outcome of the case.

OP is under the impression this process is a maze when in actuality it's really fill out your name, check some boxes, attach a few photos, write a letter you willing to get married, provide proof of citizenship, provide proof you visit in last 2 year eg a plane ticket. Sign it, throw money at USCIS, and call it a day.

There are certain situations where a lawyer may be warranted eg. serious crime, fraud, bans.

I have a very different opinion of the immigration service.  I believe they consider it their mission to place every obstacle possible in the way of every applicant.  This seems obvious to me just from knowing about a section of immigration law called section 214b which states that all non-immigrant visa applicants shall be assumed to intend to overstay their visas unless proof to the contrary exists.  Isn't their intent obvious?

Timeline

Well, I'm a little surprised by this response.  It's pretty obvious that lawyers are frowned upon around  here and in general, I agree.  I wish I had as much confidence in myself as the rest of you seem to have in me.  At the moment my problem isn't filling out the I-129F which I have already done but rather what to do with the large quantity of paperwork required to be filed with the form.  What have some of you done to organize this mass of evidence or have you all just thrown it all together in a pile and left it tothe examiner to sort through?  Please advise?

The US issued 5,779,411 new/renewed tourist visas last year alone (plus Canadian visitors and VWP travelers). I would hardly consider that "every obstacle possible" in the way of every applicant.

Edit: My bad..I missed Border Crossing Cards (BCCs). The total was actually 6,811,878.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.