rich2183

Leaving the US before green card arrives

31 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, rich2183 said:

Yes. She applied before her stay expired and she has a 2016 priority date. 

The I-130 is just a petition! The application for AOS (aka a Green Card) is the I-485, but she will not be eligible to submit one because:

1. Her PD is not current. See F4 row: https://www.uscis.gov/visabulletininfo
  2. Overstay is not forgiven for siblings because siblings are not defined as immediate relatives by USCIS: https://www.uscis.gov/tools/glossary/immediate-relatives

Her tourist visa is cancelled in the government's database. Upon US exit, she cannot return to the US for 10 years without a waiver: https://www.americanimmigrationcouncil.org/research/three-and-ten-year-bars If after 10 years her PD is still not current then she can try to apply for a new tourist visa. But the chances of approval of that tourist visa will be almost non-existent. The best course of action is to leave ASAP and serve the 10 year bar; then she can enter with the sibling immigrant visa.

Edited by accumbyte

1 hour ago, rich2183 said:

Wait - are you saying she’s stayed in the US on a tourist visa since 2016?

edit: then refer accumbyte’s post above. She no longer has a valid tourist visa, and has a long ban. She can’t adjust status from an overstay so she has to leave at some stage if she ever wants to be legal, may as well do it now and get the ban done with sooner (relatively speaking of course) rather than postponed.

Edited by SusieQQQ

If she's been in the US on a tourist visa since 2016 (and has not changed status within the US and maintained that status), then she absolutely has a 10 year bar upon exit. She will not be eligible for AOS in the US.

Best thing she can do now is to exit ASAP. The ban will likely be expired by the time the PD is current.

The tourist visa automatically became voided by law on the first day of overstay.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

Wait - are you saying she’s stayed in the US on a tourist visa since 2016?

edit: then refer accumbyte’s post above. She no longer has a valid tourist visa, and has a long ban. She can’t adjust status from an overstay so she has to leave at some stage if she ever wants to be legal, may as well do it now and get the ban done with sooner (relatively speaking of course) rather than postponed.

She has to leave immediately, assuming her i94 is expired. The US doesn't want illegals. 

But OP should clarify how long she's been in the US on her b2. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

35 minutes ago, WeGuyGal said:

She has to leave immediately, assuming her i94 is expired. The US doesn't want illegals. 

But OP should clarify how long she's been in the US on her b2. 

Absolutely- correct 

what I meant to convey was that there is no way she can be legal without leaving - as some of the previous posts had highlighted the ban takes effect only on departure. I should have worded more carefully.  

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

Is this one of those cases where people think visa expired means the 10 year period which multiple entry is allowed and such instead of I-94 expiration date? 

Cause it does sound like it...

1 hour ago, Naes said:

Is this one of those cases where people think visa expired means the 10 year period which multiple entry is allowed and such instead of I-94 expiration date? 

Cause it does sound like it...

I think it’s one of those cases where a relative overstayed then adjusted as CR or IR and now they think it’s ok for everyone. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If she does leave and serve out the ban she will have a heck of a time when the petition is current;   Either A  she tried to adjust status in the US and is denied because she has no status to adjust from .  B she tries to interview out of country and is denied because she has a 10 year bar.   Sibling don't count as a qualified relative for 601's do they ?

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

39 minutes ago, NigeriaorBust said:

If she does leave and serve out the ban she will have a heck of a time when the petition is current;   Either A  she tried to adjust status in the US and is denied because she has no status to adjust from .  B she tries to interview out of country and is denied because she has a 10 year bar.   Sibling don't count as a qualified relative for 601's do they ?

Petition almost certainly won’t be current before the bar is up, assuming she leaves now. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I am sure the Aunt knows what she is doing, the OP did not.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
21 hours ago, rich2183 said:

My aunt is in the US awaiting her green card. The tourist visa she arrived with has not expired. Is she able to leave the US and come back using that visa? Even if she’s waiting for her immigrant visa?

Rich,

You've been looking over the responses as recently as 2 hours ago.  Please provide information if you want help.  How long has she been in the US?   Has  your aunt has overstayed or not?  That's important in providing you with the correct answers to your questions.  

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline

She has been here since before 2016 so exactly how much longer does not really matter.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Odd that the OP logs in to review posts, but opts not to respond. 

Not liking the responses that aunt can't get a green card soon? 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
2 hours ago, Boiler said:

She has been here since before 2016 so exactly how much longer does not really matter.

Rich said that his aunt was petitioned by her sister about 3 years ago.  Where did he say that she has been here since 2016?  That's an assumption on your part and a few other people.   While probably true based on Rich just reading the responses on here and not answering, he hasn't explicitly stated that his aunt has been here since 2016.  

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline
22 hours ago, rich2183 said:

This

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.