Elizabeth865

Filing a student visa for my daughter who is 21 years old while processing my I-130

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

That sounds the best solution.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, Elizabeth865 said:

Since I got my divorce, under the law, both, my ex husband and me are her tutor until she is 21 years old, but since she is studying the law obligue us to pay her an alimony until she finishes her program. If we don´t do it she will be able to lawsuit us and make her to pay her alimnoy from the time we stopped. If she stops studying during her program we have to lawsuit her and prove that she started doing her life so we can stop any kind of legal process.

Your country actively encourages, even requires, parents and children to sue each other? I can see why you want to leave. What an ugly system. 

I think the US is generous in allowing people to bring children up the age of 21 with them. In some cases, the "children" already have children of their own. I was out of the house at 18 with my own apartment. It would never have occurred to me at 19, 20 or 21 to follow my mother if she moved. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

57 minutes ago, Elizabeth865 said:

No, if can't make her go, I will stay in my country and make my husband to come to my country, it is easier.

What are you planning to do with your I-130 petition?  You won't be able to ROC if you are living in Chile.

47 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Son or daughter of permanent resident over 21, it is around 7 years before she could get a green card.

That's 7 years after the OP becomes LPR.  Apparently the OP is now thinking of staying in Chile

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

9 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

What are you planning to do with your I-130 petition?  You won't be able to ROC if you are living in Chile.

That's 7 years after the OP becomes LPR.  Apparently the OP is now thinking of staying in Chile

Yes, because she can’t bring the daughter with. You can read in my post that the sentence you quoted above was in response to a suggestion she made it would take a couple of years. Probably the most sensible suggestion under current circumstances. 

10 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Probably the most sensible suggestion under current circumstances.

Agreed, but OP needs to realize she will never be able to come at the same time as her daughter.  The daughter is too old.

They should refile the wife's I-130 when the daughter is ending her junior year, based on current processing timelines.  The good news is OP should get a IR-1.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Begs the question with a Daughter of 21 where she is in Education process, how long she has to go, presumably not 28

And what she is studying.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

First  of all the student visa is not a fast process either

if you had not applied for other visa ,  the process would have been this"

1 she takes the TOEFL  /advised to take it before applying as it is only given a few times a year and taking it before applying means you don't have to wait for this test 

Prospective undergraduate or graduate students who are applying to universities in English-speaking countries, or to programs where English is the language of instruction, will likely be asked to take the IELTS Academic test or the TOEFL, the Test of English as a Foreign Language.

2  she applies to a university / this cost to apply

We  apply usually by end of November for the following fall semester

3  when accepted ,she pays the fee to hold her place

4  larger colleges and universities  have an attorney at this stage to do the work for the student visa 

5  for student visa at this stage, she has to prove she can afford the cost of whatever college this is for  including room and board and books and fees/

and to add most colleges require freshmen to live on campus so living with you for  the initial year is not an option

international students (as said above pay a much higher tuition rate than a USC)

As you can see the whole process for a foreign student is not easy,  not fast and not cheap

2 hours ago, Elizabeth865 said:

She can apply for a visa to study in the US. Why can she not just carry on her studies in your country?

Because it is more expensive for me to leave her here paying everything if I had a second house. I mean housing, transpor, food, study program and so on...

Chile

If you cannot afford to do that, then you cannot afford the university tuition for a foreign student.

4 hours ago, Elizabeth865 said:

Hi, I have a big concern about appliying for a student program for my daughter who is 21 years old so she couldn't be included in my I-130.

1. When did you marry your current husband? Was your daughter under the age of 18 at that time?
  2. Is your current husband a US Citizen or LPR? I assume US Citizen, but just want to verify.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline
1 hour ago, Jorgedig said:

If you cannot afford to do that, then you cannot afford the university tuition for a foreign student.

and as said above a student needs housing so you are looking at paying for a second housing unit here

freshmen in a dorm

after that at least an apartment in the city of the college

housing in the US is not cheap  especially in  a college town

for instance Boston has over 50 colleges and universities and students are forced to share with 3 and 4 others to afford this

there are student loans

my stepdaughter now owes $150,000 back in student loans and she is USC

Edited by kris&me

6 hours ago, Elizabeth865 said:

I thought you could provide better answers...

Thank you anyway

If your circumstances don't allow for a viable immigration route, the ONLY answer is, "You're not eligible to pursue this." Your daughter can only immigrate to the US if HER circumstances alone allow her to do so. You have no legal basis for doing that for her anymore.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Just be aware that if you are issued a CR1 visa but decide to stay in your country instead of entering the US, the CR1 visa will expire, so when, or if, you decide to move to America later on, you'll have to do the process again.

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.