edman007

Apply for Tourist Visa before or after applying for CR1 visa?

31 posts in this topic

Hi there!

I want to know if applying for US tourist visa before applying for CR1 makes sense or not?

Little bit about me:

• Indian citizen who studied and worked in US for 10 years. 
  • H1b visa (work visa) got rejected in summer 2018 and I returned to India immediately. 
  • Got married in India to my US citizen girfriend in December 2018.
  • Own a home and car in US. Did not get any time to wrap up my assets in US as exiting after H1b visa rejection was time sensitive. 

My US citizen wife is now back in the US and we plan on getting married the American way with her family around. For this reason, I want to apply for tourist visa but I am not sure if I should wait until I file my CR1 visa or not. I understand that getting the tourist visa approved might be a difficult task but I want to take a chance and see if the visa goes through. If I get a tourist visa, I do not plan on staying back in US and file for AOS from there. I plan on fully following the legal channel and wait for CR1 approval from India. 

What do you guys suggest? Should I file for tourist first and then file for CR1? My parents already have valid US tourist visa and they plan on visiting US for my American wedding. 

What should be my pitch to consular officer regarding my need for tourist visa? 

Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

Thank you!

You can certainly apply for a tourist visa - anyone with $160 to spare can do so. Your chances of approval are slim, based on what you have posted here. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

*~*~*moved from “IR-1/CR-1 spouse visa progress reports” to “tourist visas”*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

ditto, you can apply and see what happens, but your chances are slim,

you don't have strong ties to your country, you haven't been back for a long time, you lived and worked here and you have a US spouse and a home here, you have much stronger ties to the US than your home country. you've only been back for a few months.

3 minutes ago, edman007 said:

Well, I have been to India multiple times actually. Also visited China, Thailand and Indonesia in these 10 years. 

Nice. But your ties are still very weak. You have the strongest ties of all (spouse and home - the love of your life and the biggest financial investment you will ever make) in the USA. But if you don’t mind the risk of losing $160, by all means send your application. 

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

but have you lived there, do you have a job there now, are you putting down roots in India? if you are, then wait for a while, you will need to show that you are now living in India, that you have no desire to overstay and adjust status after you come here.

your ties are still stronger in the US

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
48 minutes ago, edman007 said:

Hi there!

I want to know if applying for US tourist visa before applying for CR1 makes sense or not?

Little bit about me:

• Indian citizen who studied and worked in US for 10 years. 
  • H1b visa (work visa) got rejected in summer 2018 and I returned to India immediately. 
  • Got married in India to my US citizen girfriend in December 2018.
  • Own a home and car in US. Did not get any time to wrap up my assets in US as exiting after H1b visa rejection was time sensitive. 

My US citizen wife is now back in the US and we plan on getting married the American way with her family around. For this reason, I want to apply for tourist visa but I am not sure if I should wait until I file my CR1 visa or not. I understand that getting the tourist visa approved might be a difficult task but I want to take a chance and see if the visa goes through. If I get a tourist visa, I do not plan on staying back in US and file for AOS from there. I plan on fully following the legal channel and wait for CR1 approval from India. 

What do you guys suggest? Should I file for tourist first and then file for CR1? My parents already have valid US tourist visa and they plan on visiting US for my American wedding. 

Thank you!

It all comes down to one question: How can you convince the consulate officer that you will return to India when you have so many very strong ties to the US?  By law, you are already assumed to be seeking entry into the US to stay...good luck.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Why were you refused a H1b?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

You have really strong ties to the US. 

If you apply for the visitor visa without a pending I-130, you will likely get rejected and be told to apply for the spousal visa since you have immigrant intent.

However, you never know if you don't apply.

If I was you, I would apply for the spousal visa and the visitor visa.  At the visitor visa interview, I would show that an I-130 has been filed ant that you are willing to immigrate to the US the legal way.  This makes you more credible.  Filing for the tourist visa without filing the I-130 makes you look shady and a CO will probably think you are trying to work the system to AOS.  

3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Why were you refused a H1b?

I'm currently experiencing a 60+% rejection rate for renewal of H1Bs for my team members, and many contracting companies didn't know how to get past new USCIS guidelines for a while (more detailed justifications, extra paperwork/RFEs), but this would be good to understand from the OP in case it's something odd that needs to be resolved.

16 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

If I was you, I would apply for the spousal visa and the visitor visa.  At the visitor visa interview, I would show that an I-130 has been filed ant that you are willing to immigrate to the US the legal way.  This makes you more credible.  Filing for the tourist visa without filing the I-130 makes you look shady and a CO will probably think you are trying to work the system to AOS.  

Imo this won’t make a difference. As already said he’s been in US 10 years, wife is there, home is there, heck he hasn’t even sold his car! With or without the I130 imo his chances of “changing his mind” and applying for AOS once he lands in US are very high and I’d expect a CO to view it same way. But again, it’s only $160 and a bit of time to find out for sure.

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
1 hour ago, edman007 said:

Hi there!

Thank you!

In your case it does not make sense.  

There is no “pitch”, your circumstances are what they are whether you file I-130 before or after you apply for a visit visa.  You are  married to a USC and your wife doesn’t live in India and all of your major assets are in the US.

Our experience was:  once before, once after filing visit visas were denied both times.  My wife was opposite - she did own a house and was working etc etc  in her home country.

Ties they look for:  a residence, a job, an active bank account, immediate family, other business activity or assets.

So gather everything you have to show your ties to India and give it a try.  Every once in awhile they grant the visa.

Edited by Nitas_man

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
1 minute ago, SusieQQQ said:

Imo this won’t make a difference. As already said he’s been in US 10 years, wife is there, home is there, heck he hasn’t even sold his car! With or without the I130 imo his chances of “changing his mind” and applying for AOS once he lands in US are very high and I’d expect a CO to view it same way. But again, it’s only $160 and a bit of time to find out for sure.

Totally agree.  

However, filing for the visitor visa without an I-130 makes it looks super shady.  Filing for the visitor visa with an I-130 looks better IMHO that he's trying to do it legit.  It doesn't mean that he's in the clear.  

OP is asking whether he should apply for the visitor visa before or after filing the I-130.  Just giving him my opinion and suggesting he files for the visitor visa after filing the I-130.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.