NJShoreMom

NEWBIE asking for daughter and her fiancee pls be gentle!

86 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
14 minutes ago, NJShoreMom said:

Ok, I just did, now I have a couple other questions 

Can you start out applying for the K-1 and then down the road in the process fly over there and marry?  and change the petition to the C status?

And what would be some reasons a K-1 would get denied?  (we have so much proof of a legit ongoing 2 year relationship and thats not even including the now confirmed pregnancy with ultrasound pictures of the baby whose documented conception coinsides with their last trip together)

This is With all due respect to anyone who answers, as I am here to learn not to judge.

Thanks!

You can change but you do not maintain your position in the queue.  You get to go back to the end of a different line

YMMV

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
4 minutes ago, NJShoreMom said:

This may sound "duh" but would you then have to pay a new application fee?

Yes because it's a new petition, an I-130.

There is no switching or changing.  Marriage disqualifies them for a K-1 fiance visa.  There only choice as a married couple would be to start a new process, a CR-1 spousal visa.  

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline
10 minutes ago, NJShoreMom said:

This may sound "duh" but would you then have to pay a new application fee?

Absolutely .  Different petition,  different supporting evidence 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Also, pregnancy is not considered to be evidence and it in no way expedites the process.

You may want to spend some time reviewing current processing times on this website.   Our K-1 was a total of nine months from the receipt of the petition at USCIS to mailing off my (now) husband’s AOS application.   That’s lightning-fast.   We had really no bumps along the way, and Auckland is a very low fraud embassy.  However, he still won’t be able to work or leave the United States until at least March.  

Your daughter’s fiancé will take longer to process as a Turkish national living in Italy (even as a legal resident) simply because of the additional background checks required.   I am not familiar with Turkey’s level of cooperation,  but many MENA countries (Pakistan, for example) do not have the same data-sharing levels as western countries,  so the administrative processing takes significantly longer.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
On 1/10/2019 at 8:32 AM, NJShoreMom said:

The doctor said its ok for her to travel (but as a mom/grama of course I don't want her to!)

The rules for children born abroad to USA citizens are very complex. 

Burdening someone complexities of trying to proof USA citizenship is not something you want to wish on your own grandchild. Otherwise, in say 10 years, your grand child will be posting here for advice on how to get a USA passport. It can get very expensive for anyone born abroad.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
3 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

A CRBA and a US passport is relatively easy.  It's neither burdensome, complex, or expensive.  Don't scare people needlessly.  

Sure if the parents bother to file a CRBA, get the passport shortly after, and the daughter logged enough time in the USA before giving birth. Then there is the hassle of getting a SS card.

Wait too long, and then we are into getting documents written in Italian officially translated.

At any rate, that isn't the complexity I was referring to. Birth abroad to one USA citizen has a very complex rules that are not easily summarized, but I suspect you knew that. The rules are more onerous in some ways if the parents were married at the time of birth. They are more onerous in some ways if the parents were not married at time of birth. E.g. if the parents weren't married and the mom took at least one trip abroad every 364 days or less,  then the kid isn't American. Proving that the mother didn't do that can be hard.

USA is a jus soli kind of place. 

Timeline
47 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

A CRBA and a US passport is relatively easy.  It's neither burdensome, complex, or expensive.  Don't scare people needlessly.  

Agreed.   The complex component affects such a small small small group of the population.   For the typical applicant it is not difficult 

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I really think daughter and her partner should be the ones here absorbing this, and making decisions on what is best for them, and their child. Giving the situation, getting married, which will ensure the child is not born out of wedlock, and continuing with CR-1 makes most financial sense and safest route, for no other reason as it makes for strong case, reduces a risk of a refusal due to the whole Turkish citizen, living in Italy etc complexity, and provides definitive answer to "If your relationship is bona fide, and you intent to marry, why have you not done it before the birth of the child?" that is likely to pop into a mind of a consular officer. It also allows fir future Father to bond more with the wife and actually be there for the childbirth. And, ultimately, it will be cheaper as was stated, as it is a simpler process. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~ Posts removed for derailing this thread, and some quoting. Stick to the OP's questions and only her questions. Further derailing will result in suspension.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from K1 Progress Reports to What Visa Do I Need - Family Based Immigration forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.