peanutismint

Taking a cruise to Hawaii that stops in Mexico before Advance Parole...??

31 posts in this topic

This might be a really dumb question so bear with me....

I'm British, final stages of K1 visa. Hopefully getting married/moving to USA in a few months and thinking about a cruise to Hawaii for our honeymoon, but a lot of the ones we're looking at stop off at a port in Mexico (outside of the US). Does anyone know whether this will cause me to abandon the green card process? Or can I just stay on the ship and not have to technically enter Mexico/leave the USA?!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 minutes ago, peanutismint said:

This might be a really dumb question so bear with me....

I'm British, final stages of K1 visa. Hopefully getting married/moving to USA in a few months and thinking about a cruise to Hawaii for our honeymoon, but a lot of the ones we're looking at stop off at a port in Mexico (outside of the US). Does anyone know whether this will cause me to abandon the green card process? Or can I just stay on the ship and not have to technically enter Mexico/leave the USA?!

But you have technically entered international waters

YMMV

Yes, and? Does that count as leaving the USA? Would seem kinda silly when you board the ship in America and depart in....America again, in Hawaii? If international waters were an issue, wouldn't flying to Hawaii be just as problematic? Or is naval law different when it comes to immigration?!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 minutes ago, peanutismint said:

Yes, and? Does that count as leaving the USA? Would seem kinda silly when you board the ship in America and depart in....America again, in Hawaii? If international waters were an issue, wouldn't flying to Hawaii be just as problematic? Or is naval law different when it comes to immigration?!

A direct flight you maintain a secure environment.  With the intermediate port of call changes it.  

YMMV

short answer looks to be a No for your cruise for a K1

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/74/kw/Closed loop Hawaii cruise

Edited by Paul & Mary

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Although it may seem silly to you, the answer is no. Wait for AP.

The K1 has strict limitations. If it was a CR1 you’d be free to go.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Thanks for all the info guys! Really appreciate it 🙂 will plan accordingly (and also apply for AP ASAP!!).

Filed: Timeline
2 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

IF you had a US driver licenses you could make it happen, if not US Driver licenses I wouldn't do it.

That's all you need for a closed loop tour

Incorrect.  An Enhanced Driver's License (EDL) is all a US citizen needs...non-citizens need proper documentation, such as an I-551 for LPRs, and visas or ESTA as required/appropriate for all others.  

Edited by jan22

15 minutes ago, jan22 said:

Incorrect.  An Enhanced Driver's License (EDL) is all a US citizen needs...non-citizens need proper documentation, such as an I-551 for LPRs, and visas or ESTA as required/appropriate for all others.  

Incorrect

I just got off a cruise ship 2 days ago, all I showed was my DL

Same thing for my wife, she is non citizen with expired GC and expired extension letter, she only has i551 in her passport.  We just used the DL as ID

I have done the same thing using a DL on another cruise years ago with a different chick who was a non citizen, but had DL. 

All you need is a DL if it a closed loop tour

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

2 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

IF you had a US driver licenses you could make it happen, if not US Driver licenses I wouldn't do it.

That's all you need for a closed loop tour

Thanks, good to know. I've always just driven on my UK license on previous visits but now that I'm emigrating will probably go the whole hog and get a state license; not sure how long they take to arrive but hopefully sooner than an advance parole permission :--) 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
5 minutes ago, peanutismint said:

Thanks, good to know. I've always just driven on my UK license on previous visits but now that I'm emigrating will probably go the whole hog and get a state license; not sure how long they take to arrive but hopefully sooner than an advance parole permission :--) 

Depends on the State but normally you need your EAD first.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline
4 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

Incorrect

I just got off a cruise ship 2 days ago, all I showed was my DL

Same thing for my wife, she is non citizen with expired GC and expired extension letter, she only has i551 in her passport.  We just used the DL as ID

I have done the same thing using a DL on another cruise years ago with a different chick who was a non citizen, but had DL. 

All you need is a DL if it a closed loop tour

What happened years ago does not apply today...especially since the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative which changed requirements for US passports (and Ied to EDLs).  You said your wife had the I-551 in her passport...so, she had a I-551.  You, the US citizen had an EDL...so, you had the required documents...so, how does that make my information wrong???

I don't want to argue with you, but I also don't want people to cause problems for themselves by accepting incorrect information.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.