Greenbaum

JANUARY 2019 K-1 NOA2 ----> NVC

3,020 posts in this topic

Hello, I am very happy and relieved to be finally able to join this thread))) I hope this part goes smoother)))

Edited by boris64

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

9 minutes ago, Shiran said:

Login is a strong word. I only used my case number (starts with KEV) 

I was able to go to https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/ Swap Visa type to "Immigrant" then put in KEV number and CAPTCHA code and spits out status. Pretty similar to how it works on Old USCIS site. 

Mine started with SEO. I believe it's just the embassy city. Yours being Kiev and mine Seoul.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Guys, how do you know the shipping dates? Do they tell you at the NVC about the nearest occasion or is there any rule regarding it?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
On 1/10/2019 at 11:16 AM, HP+IC said:

I am not sure I can quite catch the idea. After you get approved the schedule becomes more or less clear. It seems that everyone gets anxious and starts calling the NVC at some point to get the case number. My fiance seems to be reluctant about calling and would prefer to email them if at all. Generally he thinks that we should wait till the embassy receives our file and notifies us accordingly  to schedule medical and the interview in one week. We are not in a hurry as all our paperwork (police clearance, I-134, photos, Viber logs etc) is 90% ready for the interview and my K2 kid must finish school by the end of May. Am I missing any important point? Shall I ask him to check with NVC in a few weeks? Nothing comes to my mind except for NOA2 being only valid for 4 months before the interview

Hi! I noticed you also have a kid. My fiance has a son but since he's at college he'll join us later this summer. Do you know if there's any option to wait? We just received the NOA2 letter, so we haven't received any packages yet. Do you know how does that work? Thanks!

Timeline
1 minute ago, Ishelle said:

Hi! I noticed you also have a kid. My fiance has a son but since he's at college he'll join us later this summer. Do you know if there's any option to wait? We just received the NOA2 letter, so we haven't received any packages yet. Do you know how does that work? Thanks!

I assume the son is old enough to take care of his medical and interview to 'follow to join'. Anyway, if he has medical and interview along with his father he still has 6 months after his visa is issued. If he follows to join, he has 1 year after his father gets his visa. Plenty of time I guess. My son is just 13, so no travelling solo overseas

Timeline
1 minute ago, HP+IC said:

I assume the son is old enough to take care of his medical and interview to 'follow to join'. Anyway, if he has medical and interview along with his father he still has 6 months after his visa is issued. If he follows to join, he has 1 year after his father gets his visa. Plenty of time I guess. My son is just 13, so no travelling solo overseas

Thank you so much! Is this an option in the package we receive from the consulate? Is it on DS-160 ?

Deleted in favor of HP+IC's post following mine. They have more up to date info....

Edited by boris64

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Ishelle said:

Thank you so much! Is this an option in the package we receive from the consulate? Is it on DS-160 ?

Not quite sure I understand what you mean. The Petitioner lists all Beneficiary's kids on I-129F and all eligible kids get covered by NOA2. Then they get covered by the case # assigned by the NVC. If an eligible child schedules medical and the interview, they yet have no A-# for the I-134 but they use their parent's case #. To get the K2 visa the child must submit their own DS-160, have their medical, pay 2 fees like their dad, have their own I-134 (we decided to photocopy my I-134 and have the last page signed in wet ink) and get their own police clearance if applicable. It is the parent's duty to inform the embassy about the child seeking a K2 visa by submitting the DS-160 for them, the embassy has no idea whether any or all eligible kids will be applying. E.g., my eligible 18 yo son still hasn't made up  his mind as to go or not

Edited by HP+IC

Timeline
8 minutes ago, HP+IC said:

Not quite sure I understand what you mean. The Petitioner lists all Beneficiary's kids on I-129F and all eligible kids get covered by NOA2. Then they get covered by the case # assigned by the NVC. If an eligible child schedules medical and the interview, they yet have no A-# for the I-134 but they use their parent's case #. To get the K2 visa the child must submit their own DS-160, have their medical, pay 2 fees like their dad, have their own I-134 (we decided to photocopy my I-134 and have the last page signed in wet ink) and get their own police clearance if applicable. It is the parent's duty to inform the embassy about the child seeking a K2 visa by submitting the DS-160 for them, the embassy has no idea whether any or all eligible kids will be applying. E.g., my eligible 18 yo son still hasn't made up  his mind as to go or not

I guess I was trying to understand what's "follow to join" Yes he was on our K-1 application form. I was not clear if he can apply after his dad gets the visa and comes here. he's not sure yet, he's 19. I want to give them most accurate info, all his options so he can make a better decision. I'm sorry if I'm confusing you.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Ishelle said:

I guess I was trying to understand what's "follow to join" Yes he was on our K-1 application form. I was not clear if he can apply after his dad gets the visa and comes here. he's not sure yet, he's 19. I want to give them most accurate info, all his options so he can make a better decision. I'm sorry if I'm confusing you.

No, it's OK, you are welcome. Yes, in my opinion he's quite fit to follow to join, if he chooses so. Just tell him he can apply with his dad or later after his dad gets his visa, if he can not travel with his dad for any reason. Unfortunately, it is a 'now or later close to never' situation because if he misses his K2 chance, he will not be under 18 when you marry his dad for you to petition for him as a stepson (immediate minor relative of a USC). Once his dad gets his GC, he still can petition if the son will be under 21 and unmarried, but the case will have very little progress until your then husband becomes a USC. Which brings us to 5-7 years anyway, I guess. This is something to discuss with your family-to-be

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Ishelle said:

"follow to join" allows K-2 child travel up to 1 year later after K-1 parent who is principle applicant. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html#15 

Timeline
1 hour ago, HP+IC said:

Guys, how do you know the shipping dates? Do they tell you at the NVC about the nearest occasion or is there any rule regarding it?

From what I saw other members say NVC ships to embassies every 2 weeks, on Tuesdays and Wednesdays via DHL. I believe people Sherlock Holmed it out by watching when status on CEAC site changes to "IN TRANSIT" So by that logic next week Jan 22-23) suppose to shipment week. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
27 minutes ago, Shiran said:

Update: Got my case and invoice number, I believe they were actually issued yesterday. Got it after calling. Still no e-mail updates of any kind. Was able to check https://ceac.state.gov status under Immigrant visa. Status: At NVC. Now hoping it will make alleged next week shipment to the embassies. 

Will they wait for you to do ds-160 and pay the visa fees before they send the cases to the embassies? 

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Him&me said:

Will they wait for you to do ds-160 and pay the visa fees before they send the cases to the embassies? 

No. You don't really do anything until it gets to embassy. This part is confusing because when you put in case number into CEAC site it tell you need to do stuff, but that is artifact of the nature of K-1 visa. See K-1 visa technically is non-immigrant visa, BUT for most of its life NVC treats it as immigrant visa, which is why I had to flip setting to "Immigrant" on CEAC site in order to find it. Normally for immigrant visa you file DS-260 (not DS-160) and appoint agents etc all those things that NVC site tell you to do. But in case of K-1 since under its immigrant clothing it is still just a non-immigrant visa you do not do any of that. You just wait for it to get to embassy and then file DS-160 as you would with any non immigrant visa. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Shiran said:

No. You don't really do anything until it gets to embassy. This part is confusing because when you put in case number into CEAC site it tell you need to do stuff, but that is artifact of the nature of K-1 visa. See K-1 visa technically is non-immigrant visa, BUT for most of its life NVC treats it as immigrant visa, which is why I had to flip setting to "Immigrant" on CEAC site in order to find it. Normally for immigrant visa you file DS-260 (not DS-160) and appoint agents etc all those things that NVC site tell you to do. But in case of K-1 since under its immigrant clothing it is still just a non-immigrant visa you do not do any of that. You just wait for it to get to embassy and then file DS-160 as you would with any non immigrant visa. 

Great info, thank you so much!

I have an appointment with my attorney

tomorrow afternoon, he asked me yesterday to bring all the required documents to get the visa application and the sponsor stuff ready. I think he wants to save some time and to get what’s needed ahead of time. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.