J&Evisa

Wondering if I should apply now or wait

22 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello everyone I am new here and have been reading what I can to be better informed. My question is whether I should wait to file for a K-1 visa or not. I have only known my fiance for a short time. We met in Sept. 18 when I visited Mexico for work. It didn't take us long to know that we wanted to be together and marry but I worry that we will have trouble due to the length of our relationship. We spent about two weeks together during that trip for work. We spend several hours a day communicating every day. I have already purchased tickets to visit again for 3 weeks around Christmas. We have even thought of marrying in Mexico and trying for a CR-1 visa but then again I worry about how long we have known each other. Should I wait until we have been together longer or would I possibly be safe filing now? Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Timeline

I'm not sure how to edit a post. I forgot to add that I wouldn't apply until after I returned from my next visit. It would probably be the beginning of February. By that time we will have been together for 5 months, if that would make a difference 

The fact that you're asking if it's too soon answers your question. Go for Christmas and have a good time. Would I get married to someone after 5 weeks facetime? No, I aint cray cray. People that use the K-1 to 'get to know' the spouse is ridiculous.

Hopefully someone will chime in to confirm if it's a red flag.

Timeline

I wasn't asking if it was too soon to marry. I was asking if it would be a red flag. But thanks for your judgmental comment. It helped me to see the type of help I can expect to get from a forum like this

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

the only requirement is that you have MET them in person ONCE within 2 years.

2 hours worth or 2 years worth, doesn't matter.

However, as much as you may not want to hear it, meeting someone while on vacation and getting along smashingly does not mean you would make good spouses. Give it time to get to know each other under ALL circumstances. good, bad, emergencies, all of it. that takes time. no way would i marry someone only meeting them once or twice or even a dozen times.

but you do you.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Timeline
14 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

the only requirement is that you have MET them in person ONCE within 2 years.

2 hours worth or 2 years worth, doesn't matter.

However, as much as you may not want to hear it, meeting someone while on vacation and getting along smashingly does not mean you would make good spouses. Give it time to get to know each other under ALL circumstances. good, bad, emergencies, all of it. that takes time. no way would i marry someone only meeting them once or twice or even a dozen times.

but you do you.

Thank you for your reply. I have no issues hearing it. I understand people have different opinions.

1 hour ago, Jonathan1 said:

I wasn't asking if it was too soon to marry. I was asking if it would be a red flag. But thanks for your judgmental comment. It helped me to see the type of help I can expect to get from a forum like this

You were asking for a judgement and then complain about a judgmental post.

Please tell us the answer you would like to hear so we can cut to the chase.

Timeline

I was asking about if it would cause an issue. I didn't ask for someone to insinuate that I was crazy for thinking about doing this

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Jonathan1 said:

I'm not sure how to edit a post. I forgot to add that I wouldn't apply until after I returned from my next visit. It would probably be the beginning of February. By that time we will have been together for 5 months, if that would make a difference 

My husband and I only dated/knew each other for 9 months when we filed for a K1. And at that time we had already been engaged for 3 of those 9 months.  We’ve been married over 2 years now and are filing for ROC.  Sometimes when you know it’s right, it is.  Granted we lived an hour apart so we were able to visit twice per month, so there was a bit of face time involved, but when we couldn’t spend weekends together, we talked.  All day from the moment we woke up to the moment we went to sleep, we texted back and forth.  Length of the relationship may be a “red flag” but if you have quality evenidence of its veracity, you can overcome obstacles.  We had no problems in the K1 or AoS process, and I’m sure we’ll be fine through the RoC process too.  

Try not to take offence to anything someone says here bc they are being helpful.  Everyone here has been through the process in some form or another and their knowledge of their experience is helpful so that you’ll know what to expect. Honestly, USCIS is going to judge your relationship hard, which they have to do to ensure they mitigate fraud at all levels, so you will need a toughness groove for that. You know your relationship best to know if it’s legitimate or maybe still an infatuation.  The only thing we can see and comment on from this end is what you present, so all things with a grain of salt, you know.

The combined wisdom of every member of this forum will prove to be invaluable to you.

Good luck on your journey. 

I think it would be fine as long as you can prove a legitimate relationship when the time comes for your fiance to go for the visa. Overall, the government's job is not to prove if your marriage is going to last or if it's a good idea, it's to prove it's legitimate. I think there is a level of understanding that things move faster in a situation where you're in love and living in two separate countries, you just want to be together and don't have the luxury of driving down the street. If you file in February, the time line alone shouldn't bar you from getting a k1 visa.... Other red flags may though. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

I think you are asking the right questions and being cautious indeed. You are right. File after you visit the second time. Whilst only one visit within the 2 years is needed by USCIS, more are probably better. Facetime, chats etc are great, but USCIS wants to make sure that the foreigner is legitimate. This process is long with a K1 with most times nothing from USCIS. Then an update. So within the 8-10 months it will take to get your K1 petition approved, I hope you will have more face time with her? Then print out all the boarding passes, chat, hotel stays etc etc etc, photos, and give to her for the Embassy Interview

Good luck. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
7 hours ago, Jonathan1 said:

I was asking about if it would cause an issue. I didn't ask for someone to insinuate that I was crazy for thinking about doing this

It is the embassy officer who conducts the interview who will think you are crazy.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
11 hours ago, Jonathan1 said:

Hello everyone I am new here and have been reading what I can to be better informed. My question is whether I should wait to file for a K-1 visa or not. I have only known my fiance for a short time. We met in Sept. 18 when I visited Mexico for work. It didn't take us long to know that we wanted to be together and marry but I worry that we will have trouble due to the length of our relationship. We spent about two weeks together during that trip for work. We spend several hours a day communicating every day. I have already purchased tickets to visit again for 3 weeks around Christmas. We have even thought of marrying in Mexico and trying for a CR-1 visa but then again I worry about how long we have known each other. Should I wait until we have been together longer or would I possibly be safe filing now? Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Let me respond to your question nicely. I don't understand why the people here are trying to be rude about it.

5 months is too short to even plan of having a life with someone. No matter how many hours you two spent together, there's still things you don't know about each other, sorry to say this but both of you are just showing the good side of yourselves. Only time will really reveal to you how a person truly is. Only after knowing each other well, however long that may be, when you're both comfortable to take your relationship to the next level, can you both plan of marrying each other. This is my advice to both of you, love is an amazing thing, but don't let it fool you into thinking you're ready for such a commitment. You know it's the right moment when you feel it in your gut and be realistic about it i.e, have gotten time to know each other really really well. 

If it helps you feel better, my fiancé and I got engaged after 9 months of knowing each other but didn't file until it has been 2 years.

Be safe and good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.