87 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Seems they scheduled all the Stokes for the same day.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Seems they scheduled all the Stokes for the same day.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Must be a reason for that.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

After reading all the comments here, I am getting more and more depressed how my lawyer advised us not to send any marriage related documents at the time of application. 

We were only asked to give the lawyer the copy of marriage license and our tax returns. And also the some other basic info needed to prepare the documents. He then told us that they don't need us to give them any marriage based documents to prove the bona fide marriage, but instead we will take them with us to the interview. 

And he told us this is what the lawyer has done always, and that USCIS in Louisville KY does separated interview..

Now I feel stupid for spending a lot of money for this lawyer, and then going through a long, stressful, separated interview most others who got interviewed at the same USCIS didn't go through. 

We made about 4 mistakes out of 30 questions asked, and I am very scared what the result will be. 

And i still don't understand why other couples ahead of us got separated as well. I am all confused now. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Jun2580 said:

After reading all the comments here, I am getting more and more depressed how my lawyer advised us not to send any marriage related documents at the time of application. 

We were only asked to give the lawyer the copy of marriage license and our tax returns. And also the some other basic info needed to prepare the documents. He then told us that they don't need us to give them any marriage based documents to prove the bona fide marriage, but instead we will take them with us to the interview. 

And he told us this is what the lawyer has done always, and that USCIS in Louisville KY does separated interview..

Now I feel stupid for spending a lot of money for this lawyer, and then going through a long, stressful, separated interview most others who got interviewed at the same USCIS didn't go through. 

We made about 4 mistakes out of 30 questions asked, and I am very scared what the result will be. 

And i still don't understand why other couples ahead of us got separated as well. I am all confused now. 

Even though my AOS was in December 2014, I too am confused. All we enclosed with the I-785 was the Affidavit or Support, Three tax Returns and of course the marriage certificate and the all important Check for the fee. (also included was the application for the AP/Work permit). That was it. We got a letter in March the following year saying no interview required, but a big delay. The GC came in August 2015 with no interview. Have things changed?

14 minutes ago, NYCruiser said:

Even though my AOS was in December 2014, I too am confused. All we enclosed with the I-785 was the Affidavit or Support, Three tax Returns and of course the marriage certificate and the all important Check for the fee. (also included was the application for the AP/Work permit). That was it. We got a letter in March the following year saying no interview required, but a big delay. The GC came in August 2015 with no interview. Have things changed?

You did AOS based on K-1 status. You were therefore eligible for an interview waiver, and had your relationship reviewed by a CO already.

The OP is doing AOS from F-1 status, where 1) no waiver is available, and 2) their relationship had not been reviewed by anybody previously.

As a note, AOS from K-1 now no longer has an interview waiver generally available as well. This was changed recently.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
22 minutes ago, geowrian said:

You did AOS based on K-1 status. You were therefore eligible for an interview waiver, and had your relationship reviewed by a CO already.

The OP is doing AOS from F-1 status, where 1) no waiver is available, and 2) their relationship had not been reviewed by anybody previously.

As a note, AOS from K-1 now no longer has an interview waiver generally available as well. This was changed recently.

....I understand. The lawyer did not know this? 

PS Our lawyer make a mistake too in the initial submission of the I-129f. He forgot to have us mention the words '......marry within 90 days..... That got both of us an RFE.

Timeline

I simply do not believe there is an office that puts every applicant through a Stokes. Stokes is going to take a lot more time than is allocated for a normal interview. And if there was one I would certainly seen it mentioned here with a big WARNING.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I know of no published figures.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
2 hours ago, Jun2580 said:

You’re not required to send marriage evidence with aos package. This is why there is a ROC after 2 years. A recently married couple won’t have much in terms of marriage evidence. Most AOS interviews are just a formality and only last a couple of questions and are not separated. They separate couple and bombard them with questions like yours when they suspect fraud. None of the reasons you have stated here are cause for fraud suspicion. They definitely saw something on your file that made them suspicious about your relationship. Most people who get lawyers for this late into the process have complicated cases. You say you have no complications so why did you use a lawyer if you don’t mind us asking? The answer to your scruitinity may be in why you used a lawyer. I feel like we haven’t gotten the full story here. 

32 minutes ago, TNJ17 said:

A recently married couple won’t have much in terms of marriage evidence.

True, although he has been living in the US (F-1 visa) and in a relationship for 5 years. They would likely expect evidence of somebody who has been together for 5 years...unlike newly married couples just recently reunited in the US.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
3 minutes ago, geowrian said:

True, although he has been living in the US (F-1 visa) and in a relationship for 5 years. They would likely expect evidence of somebody who has been together for 5 years...unlike newly married couples just recently reunited in the US.

But not required to send with AOS. That’s the point I’m trying to make. That you can be a couple for 10, 20, 50 years. You will have a lot of evidence, even for newlyweds, because you just don’t meet one day and get married the next. But you don’t need to send that with aos. So that’s not a valid reason for this scruitinity. 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, TNJ17 said:

But not required to send with AOS. That’s the point I’m trying to make. That you can be a couple for 10, 20, 50 years. You will have a lot of evidence, even for newlyweds, because you just don’t meet one day and get married the next. But you don’t need to send that with aos. So that’s not a valid reason for this scruitinity. 

Well maybe not the next day but I can think of plenty of cases on VJ where people have married or got engaged in quick order.

19 minutes ago, TNJ17 said:

Yes for the I-485, but the I-130 does request evidence of a bona fide marriage to be submitted with it (although they tend to approve a petition without it) for spouse petitioners.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

2 hours ago, Boiler said:

I simply do not believe there is an office that puts every applicant through a Stokes. Stokes is going to take a lot more time than is allocated for a normal interview. And if there was one I would certainly seen it mentioned here with a big WARNING.

The interviewer told me "Keep collecting marriage evidence so you can remove the condition in about 2 years" right after the interview. I am hoping this means a "pass"...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.