chi6488

How to fly senior citiezens help?

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
16 minutes ago, chi6488 said:

My mother in law might get a b2 visa.  She cant read or write english and has never traveled by air.

you have no specific question here....no need to be able to read or write in English or having traveled before by airplane...to get to the USA

Edited by Alabamak1

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Personally, I would prepare the person and give us much information as I can and make sure to have a point of contact Whatsapp, FB messenger , international phone plans if the senior doesn't know how to use the smartphone. will make it easy to find them and know their steps in the airport. (make it less stressful)

And usually the piece of advice in the airport is follow people and Also, the person may find somebody from the same citizen who speaks the native language and English, will be able to help them in the airport.

Good luck

I-130 Spouse Visa

April 1, 2016 - Married

April 26, 2016 - Filed I-130 abroad from Morocco

May 3, 2016 - Case accepted

May 10, 2016 - Received NOA1

August 25, 2016 - Case transferred to another office

September 15, 2016 - Case Approved! USCIS

September 27, 2016 - Received NOA2
October 5, 2016 - Case Sent to Dept of State

October 11, 2016 - Case Received by NVC

October 25, 2016 - NVC Welcome Letter Received

October 25, 2016 - Completed DS-261

October 25, 2016 - Paid AOS Fee

November 2, 2016 - Paid IV Fee

November 4, 2016 - Filed DS-260

December 1, 2016 - Sent AOS Packet to NVC from Morocco
January 29, 2017 - We Have our Baby in Morocco :D👨‍👩‍👦 👶
February 17, 2017 - We Received Appointment Letter From NVC
March 20, 2017 - THE INTERVIEW - VISA APPROVED :dancing:
January 25, 2019 - Filed I-751 Remove Conditions

February 10, 2019 - Received NOA1

March 5, 2019 - Biometric APPT

Jun 18, 2019 - Interview & Approval

Jun 21, 2019 - Received 10 years GC ✔️

www.rehazu.com - Learn more about our International Marriage

If you’re not flying a super budget airline, it may also be worth mentioning to the airline, certainly the cabin attendants are usually helpful with first time and nervous flyers. Presumably wherever she’s flying from  will have other people speaking her language on the flight and possibly /probably at least some of the crew too. Knowing what language she speaks and where she’s going will help, for example being Spanish going to a large California airport is easy.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Where would she be flying into? And where is she from?

I completed all of the visa information that would have been required from my fiancé online (Lufthansa) and remember there is a paper customs form that will need to be completed (if she is not a resident or citizen) and handed in (I printed one out for my fiancé and he completed the form on the plane using my example).

My fiancé spoke very little English when he traveled to the US.... I know it’s intimidating....

Timeline
43 minutes ago, Alabamak1 said:

you have no specific question here....no need to be able to read or write in English or having traveled before by airplane...to get to the USA

Must be nice to live in a land of black and white (and grey isn’t an option).....where inference isn’t assumed. Because what I derived from the post is completely different than what you did.....I see someone concerned about how their loved one is going to make the journey.....and you see it as there’s not a question mark at the end of a post.

1 minute ago, janet3 said:

Must be nice to live in a land of black and white (and grey isn’t an option).....where inference isn’t assumed. Because what I derived from the post is completely different than what you did.....I see someone concerned about how their loved one is going to make the journey.....and you see it as there’s not a question mark at the end of a post.

Plus, the heading of the thread is the question, the first post is just a bit of background.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I must have flown to at least 20 countries where I do not speak the local language, certainly not insurmountably. Also been through US immigration where people around me have not spoken English, they manage.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I mist have flown to at least 20 countries where I do not speak the local language, certainly not insurmountably.

Touché 

As have I......but entering can be nerve wracking and full of apprehension. And if your skin isn’t thick and you’ve never done it before it can be terrifying.....

most airports have signs in ENGLISH and their own language.

We take it for granted we can read and write English.  Well, most americans

Has anyone ever paid for the wheelchair or cart service?? Contacted the airline they flew??

Edited by chi6488

Perhaps she should get her visa first. Then you can tackle the rest. Best of luck on her getting a visa if she decides to. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not sure about signs in English, well not way back when.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Perhaps she can have sheets of paper with the questions in English on one side and her language on the other. That way she can show the paper and people can point her the right way. As for immigrations you can write a letter with all the information about where she’s staying, etc. wheelchair definitely is beneficial with speed and there’s someone rolling you around to exactly where you need to be. Convenient if it doesn’t hurt the ego of course  😁

Edited by Music_en

AOS

06/20/2016 - Package sent to Chicago With USPS (I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131)

06/21/2016 - Package delivered.(Day 1)

06/28/2016 - Checks cashed (Day 7)

06/30/2016 - Received eNotifications for all 4 forms (Day 9)

07/05/2016 - Received hard copy NOA for all 4 forms.(Priority date: 06/21/2016; NOAs dated 06/28/2016)

07/09/2016 - Received notice for Biometric appointment (dated 07/02/2016)

07/19/2016 - Biometrics appointment at ASC Brooklyn

08/03/2016 - RFIE was mailed to me

09/01/2016 - Response to RFIE sent

09/07/2016 - "Response to USCIS' request for evidence rec'd; SR for EAD

09/12/2016 - called for an Expedited EAD

09/14/2016 - Received an email saying "Application under review". No supporting documentation sent.

09/27/2016 - Online notification for a 2nd RFIE (? What AGAIN!!!)

10/05/2016 - RFIE Response sent overnight (I pray it's the last one ??)

10/07/2016 - USCIS started working on my case again

10/14/2016 - EAD card went in production, AP approved

10/21/2016 - Received approval by mail for AP (where's my EAD ??)

03/10/2017 - Received an USCIS Letter for interview 

04/13/2017 - Interview at Federal Plaza NYC. No paper, no result

04/29/2017 - Card Production Ordered

05/01/2017 - Case Approved

05/02/2017 - Card was Mailed to Me (called for tracking number next day afternoon 

05/04/2017 - Card in hand 🎊🎉🍾

ROC

01/17/2019 - Sent ROC packet to USCIS, TX

Wheelchair is a possible option, some airlines don’t like doing it if it’s not strictly necessary, if you go that route make sure she knows she’s expected to sit and wait on the plane till everyone else has deplaned. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
2 hours ago, Alabamak1 said:

, many eldrerly fly without being able to read and write even in their own language

made 6 trips to morocco and other countries

the stewardess will help them fill out the visa paper they fill out on the plane

these stewardess's and steward's speak multiple languages 

good to inform the airline that they could require assistance with airport connections as they will not be able to read the boarding boards at airport

also saw other passengers help people 

Edited by adil-rafa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.