Lakeside92

Need guidance on work visa for my parent's business

51 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Lakeside92 said:

Really?  Why the attitude? I am just asking for advice.  I am not an expert. I can't force people to apply for jobs.

It's a job that many people can do.  It isn't skilled, but there is no labor in the area and no one from out of the area applies. If we need to try to advertise in a wider location, we would do it.  Our goal is to get workers.  A local worker with skills is best, but we haven't had anyone apply.

We would be happy to hire adult workers with experience at a hire wage.  However, we do not have anyone applying. We take the teenagers with no experience and train them because we are desperate for workers.

Re what I’ve bolded above, the implication is that you haven’t done that yet, curious as to why not? Surely that would be logical before going overseas? In any case, yes you will have to do that anyway and show you still couldn’t find anyone before you can apply for a work visa for someone.

4 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Re what I’ve bolded above, the implication is that you haven’t done that yet, curious as to why not? Surely that would be logical before going overseas? In any case, yes you will have to do that anyway and show you still couldn’t find anyone before you can apply for a work visa for someone.

What I was specifically referring to there is the requirements for showing a need for the worker.  I am requesting assistance in finding that documentation so that I can read it and see if we meet the qualifications.  I have never done this before so I don't know if we meet the requirements or what I need to do.  

We have advertised at the state level for employees.  As I have said, we have run the business for a long time. It's just been in the last 5 years or so that finding employees is difficult. 

I know that other unskilled laborers are able to get work visas.  Can someone explain to me how some people are able to get nannies and housecleaners work visas?  That is not a super skilled job.  What am I missing?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Work Visa's are an area for lawyers, most Immigration Lawyer work involves work and investment not family.

As they are getting older an Investment Visa might be a plan, seel the business, the purchaser would get an E2 hopefully, they get the cash and avoid the issues.

Not something I know about and you are certainly at the risk of Discrimination issues but if you are looking specifically for a Filipino perhaps somebody can advise specific forums, social groups where you could advertise.

If it was seasonal perhaps look at bringing over someone on a J1, I have friends who do that. 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

6 minutes ago, Lakeside92 said:

What I was specifically referring to there is the requirements for showing a need for the worker.  I am requesting assistance in finding that documentation so that I can read it and see if we meet the qualifications.  I have never done this before so I don't know if we meet the requirements or what I need to do.  

We have advertised at the state level for employees.  As I have said, we have run the business for a long time. It's just been in the last 5 years or so that finding employees is difficult. 

I know that other unskilled laborers are able to get work visas.  Can someone explain to me how some people are able to get nannies and housecleaners work visas?  That is not a super skilled job.  What am I missing?

There are specific au pair visas with specific conditions. Housecleaners? Sounds like someone has misused visas for that. We obviously don’t advise on illegal uses of visas here.

as for what you need to show, it depends on what type of visa you want to bring the worker on. You said temporary might be an option, then look into H2B. I’m not sure what if any other options might be available for what you’re looking at. But that’s not going to help you long term as they are seasonal visas. https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/h-2b-temporary-non-agricultural-workers

Timeline

H2B's are limited in numbers and I have not looked into them in detail but seems to be a bit of a lottery, so may not be a realistic option. I have seen a lot of complaints from Companies locally who used to be able to get them but not now.

J1's are not capped.

A lot of this falls into well it depends, more than one way to skin a cat, details can matter.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

There are no work visas for a non-skilled worker for a general store. 

With the economy running at full employment, every employer is having problems finding workers.  Increase the wage your parents are willing to pay and you can find a local adult.

US immigration doesn't allow for long-term non-skilled workers to come.

I concur...this is a question to ask an immigration attorney. They would be the one doing most of the work. This is not a quick or cheap process.

You cannot (legally) discriminate based on nationality.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

There is also the EB3 but that has issues.

Filed: Timeline

It's going to be costly as an employer to import a foreign worker, and in this situation a high probability of not succeeding. It would be cheaper to just up the pay in order to attract a responsible adult as others have recommended.

Make it $15/hour as that seems to be the trend now for a livable wage (I realize that can't happen for all sector of the job market)? Advertise with other incentives beyond pay (holiday, vacation, benefits)? Running/owning a business can be difficult in this current market. I feel for the OP, but that's just how it is in the business cycle.

Timeline

$15 seems the norm where I am, starting at from $12 is what you see advertised.

Filed: Timeline
2 hours ago, Lakeside92 said:

We would be happy to hire adult workers with experience at a hire wage.  However, we do not have anyone applying. We take the teenagers with no experience and train them because we are desperate for workers.

Have you thought of hiring senior citizens? Many of them need the extra income, and they have the best work habits and are not going to do drugs. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Have you thought of posting on a homesteading group on say face book .   There are a lot of people trying to go back to the simple life and finding they need a bit more money than planned.   They might be a more productive group than the average teen.    Or stop my some farm where you see some young person throwing hay off a wagon.  I bet they have a better idea of what work is.  

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Another option since they are in retirement age is either cut the store hours and work it themselves or try to sell the business.  At that age, they should be enjoying life.

3 hours ago, Lakeside92 said:

A lot of nannies are college-aged students who are on the au-pair visa for a year or two. There are also some visas that let college-aged students come and work for a summer or winter season and then they go home.

Many other unskilled workers (including housekeepers) are either not legal (which we don't discuss on VJ) OR are recent immigrants that came over another way (maybe through a family member petitioning them).

Edited by Sarah&Facundo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.