Cambron

New to site and K1 process

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Hello all,

My name is Cambron. I am very new to all this and it is filling like a lot to take in..lol.. I am the petitioner and my fiance lives in Bucharest, Romania. We met online almost a year ago at a site that does not have the option to print or get copies of our chat history, and all I have is our whatsapp chat which only goes back to 05/2018 and a few emails from 06/2018. There are quite a few "steamy" conversations. Should I remove these or not worry about them? I have booked my first flight to Romania in October to "Officially" propose to her and give her ring to her. I will only be in country for 3 days day 1 fly there days 2, 3, 4 time with my fiance day 5 fly back. The first trip is just so we can get the meeting face to face done to file for K1 then in April I will be back in Romania for two weeks and hope by that time all will be good and get interview while I am there. I imagine its a far cry to get this all done but any words of advise or past experiences with this kind of situation would be most helpful. Thank you all for your help in advance.

I think removal of those would be in the interest of good taste my wife and I used the following measure, if we're uncomfortable telling here parents it was too detailed. Common sense is the best rule to follow

Timeline

I too agree.. I am just very honest and didn't want anything to look like I was trying to hide anything. On the other hand i guess they wouldn't even know it would just look like the conversation went on at different time to something else. Thank you for your reply.

Edited by Cambron

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

USCIS doesn’t care about chat logs. They need concrete proof of relationship and in person meeting. Passport stamps, credit card receipts, flight intineraries, pictures of in person meeting. You’re looking in the wrong direction for proof. 

I wouldn't include those types of chats...they don't want to see it and it won't help establish a bona fide relationship. Focus on quality evidence and you'll be fine.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
57 minutes ago, TNJ17 said:

USCIS doesn’t care about chat logs. They need concrete proof of relationship and in person meeting. Passport stamps, credit card receipts, flight intineraries, pictures of in person meeting. You’re looking in the wrong direction for proof. 

I understand all the other proof needed ie.. photos, flights, receipts etc.. i was just wanting to know if they had to have in detail conversations.. and that was answered clearly but thank you for your reply.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

you should concentrate on trying to have as much facetime as possible. that is what will get your I-129F approved. Chats and photos as stated by others has little to no weight on approval. Bonafide proof of relationship is heavily weighed on passport stamps, credit cards and others. The use of common photos with family and friends is just to proof having met in person. 

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Welcome to Romania (at least, soon). Watch your wallet on the way out the airport! :P

No need for steamy chat logs. People do that even when they're not in a relationship so USCIS won't give that any weight (and it'll probably make them sick, I get the feeling people try sending stuff like that all the time). 

Focus on face time, as others have said. If you propose in October and file shortly after, April may be an optimistic estimate for an interview. But if you're able during that time, then by all means make the trip anyways. Your October trip may satisfy the "meeting in person" requirement, but other trips will greatly help to establish the relationship especially when it's time for her interview. Also, you are not required to be at the interview so don't feel like you must be here when that happens. If you are, great, but don't fret over that.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
14 hours ago, Cambron said:

Hello all,

My name is Cambron. I am very new to all this and it is filling like a lot to take in..lol.. I am the petitioner and my fiance lives in Bucharest, Romania. We met online almost a year ago at a site that does not have the option to print or get copies of our chat history, and all I have is our whatsapp chat which only goes back to 05/2018 and a few emails from 06/2018. There are quite a few "steamy" conversations. Should I remove these or not worry about them? I have booked my first flight to Romania in October to "Officially" propose to her and give her ring to her. I will only be in country for 3 days day 1 fly there days 2, 3, 4 time with my fiance day 5 fly back. The first trip is just so we can get the meeting face to face done to file for K1 then in April I will be back in Romania for two weeks and hope by that time all will be good and get interview while I am there. I imagine its a far cry to get this all done but any words of advise or past experiences with this kind of situation would be most helpful. Thank you all for your help in advance.

I would remove the steamy parts of you can...what is important is a continuous flow of conversation. You do not need every day, but say two or three times a week. The chat log is just ONE but of evidence. However, flights, photos, itineraries, letters from relatives, hotel stays, meal receipts, ring receipt (engagement), any party you had for your engagement...NOT ceremony. All those things are more important 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Congratulations on starting your Visa Journey.  You only need to include what establishes an on going relationship. Bucharest is not a tough embassy.  I think its a great idea to be there for the interview but I doubt that will take place in April if you are sending the petition in October.  You can look at my time line.  I sent my petition in November and didn't get the NOA2 until mid april and by the time the petition got thru NVC and to the embassy the interview wasn't until June.  That  was back in 2011 when things were going much quicker for K1 petitions. 

Romania is a beautiful country.  Enjoy your visit and good luck to you and your soon to be fiance!

K1 Visa                                                                 Adjustment of Status                                                             ROC

Service Center : California Service Center                        CIS Office : Kansas City MO Service Center                           California Service Center

Consulate : Bucharest, Romania

I-129F Sent : 2011-11-18                                 Date Filed : 2012-09-04 Date                            Filed: 2015-05-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-11-23                                      NOA Date : 2012-09-06                                                             NOA1 Date: 2015-05-28

I-129F RFE(s) : none                                              RFE(s) : NONE                                              RFE(s): NONE

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-04-12                                                 Bio. Appt. : 2012-10-03                                                              BIO. Appt.: 2015-09-15

NVC Received : 2012-04-26

NVC Left : 2012-05-10                                           EAD/AP Approved : 2012-11-08                             ROC APPROVED:2015-10-26      

Consulate Received : 2012-05-14                               EAD/AP Card Received : 2012-11-17                         Green card Received: 2015-11-04    

Packet 3 Received : 2012-05-17                                          Green card Approved : 2013-07-08                        NO INTERVIEW

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-05-20                                                    NO INTERVIEW

Interview Date : 2012-06-26                                                 Green Card Received : 2013-07-15

Interview Result : Approved                                                 

Visa Received : 2012-06-26                                                   

US Entry : 2012-07-05

Marriage : 2012-08-24

N-400 Naturalization:

04/25/2016 N-400 sent to USCIS AZ courier address thru FedEx

05/04/2106 NOA I-797 Receipt Notice Date
05/27/2016 Fingerprints Bio-metrics appointment date
06/08/2016 E-notification of interview scheduling
06/13/2016 Received official letter regarding interview
07/18/2016 Date of Interview
08/11/2016 Date Oath Ceremony
Field Office: Kansas City, MO

event.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
21 hours ago, Cambron said:

I imagine its a far cry to get this all done but any words of advise or past experiences with this kind of situation would be most helpful. Thank you all for your help in advance.

How is public transportation (or Uber, taxi, etc.) in the area where you live? Will your fiancé mind facing very probable obstacles in obtaining a drivers license without any validity gaps? Below is an analysis by @missileman:

This is my analysis of a K-1 vs a CR-1:

K-1

• More expensive than CR-1
  • Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)
  • Spouse can not leave the US until she receives approved Advance Parole (approx 3-4 months)
  • Spouse can not work until she receives EAD (approx 3-4 months)
  • Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period.
  • Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.

CR-1

• Less expensive than K-1
  • No AOS required.
  • Spouse can immediately travel outside the US
  • Spouse can start work if desired Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card withing 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US
  • Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.

All-in-all, the CR-1 is superior to the K-1 imo.

Just a reminder: the marriage for the CR-1 can take place anywhere (US, Romania, or somewhere else). Your fiancé can enter the US with a tourist visa in order to marry you and then return to her country to initiate the CR-1 process. Check out thread below:

Edited by TM92
Uber

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

You can take screenshots of the website you want to print and then print those, if the site itself doesn't have a print option, just in case you want to establish the date you met. Don't include the steamy convos. I also agree that the spousal visa route might be easier for you. Good luck!

Timeline
52 minutes ago, TM92 said:

How is public transportation (or Uber, taxi, etc.) in the area where you live? Will your fiancé mind facing very probable obstacles in obtaining a drivers license without any validity ... I live in USA my fiance lives in Romania.. I am not sure I am understanding this question about public transportation in my area.. sorry

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
39 minutes ago, Cambron said:

I live in USA my fiance lives in Romania.. I am not sure I am understanding this question about public transportation in my area.. sorry

My bad, I should have been more clear:). My indirect question was: Assuming you go the K-1 route, how will your future wife get around town when you are busy (work, etc.)? I see Kansas has already become REAL ID compliant: https://www.ksrevenue.org/dovrealidfaq.html. Thus all Kansas IDs (even non-REAL ID drivers licenses) have to adhere to DHS restrictions, https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/6CFR/HTML/6CFR/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-4972/0-0-0-5318.html:

States shall not issue a temporary or limited-term driver's license or identification card pursuant to this section:

1. For a time period longer than the expiration of the applicant's authorized stay in the United States, or, if there is no expiration date, for a period longer than one year; and
  2. For longer than the State's maximum driver's license or identification card term.

So if your fiancé gets a drivers license when her I-94 is valid it will expire when the I-94 expires. She won't be able to renew it until she receives her EAD (and will have to renew it at least a 3rd time with her future green card). So she won't be able to legally drive from when her I-94 expires till she receives her EAD and renews the license. This is what I was refering to as "validity gaps". This can be avoided by going the CR-1 route instead.

Edited by TM92
validity gaps

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Timeline

@TM92  Ahhh thank you for the clarification.. and yes I just renewed my DL and I went with the Real id option... the guy at the DMV said if I had a passport real ID was not necessary. I still got it anyways.. My "Home" is in Kansas but I work construction and am currently working in SW Louisiana there are several options to get around. But I see your point. Thank you 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.