Deanwinchester

What is the most frustrating part for you?

50 posts in this topic

Hi I'm new to this site. I am just starting my K-1 Visa Journey and I was wondering what the hardest part was for all of you.

We hired an attorney to help us out. I make more than enough to qualify for income. We meet every requirement as far as I know but I'm still worried. I mean I lose sleep and feel awful all day long.

Just wanted to hear what all of you have to say. Let me know any tips and tricks to deal with the agony.

Thank you guys!

11 minutes ago, Deanwinchester said:

Hi I'm new to this site. I am just starting my K-1 Visa Journey and I was wondering what the hardest part was for all of you.

We hired an attorney to help us out. I make more than enough to qualify for income. We meet every requirement as far as I know but I'm still worried. I mean I lose sleep and feel awful all day long.

Just wanted to hear what all of you have to say. Let me know any tips and tricks to deal with the agony.

Thank you guys!

It's a daily struggle for everyone. Just try to keep positive. Do some hobbies to keep your mind off of it. From what I've read from others the K1 wait isn't the worst part. It's the AOS after you get married that's the worst. It takes 1-2 years to do AOS and at least 6 months to get work authorization. That 6 months is the most difficult of many relationships. Your spouse will not be able to work or travel. Just make sure you talk all this through before hand. Be strong!

Edited by EmmNM

Just now, EmmNM said:

It's a daily struggle for everyone. Just try to keep positive. Do some hobbies to keep your mind off of it. From what I've read from others the K1 wait isn't the worst part. It's the AOS after you get married that's the worst. It takes 1-2 years to do AOS and at least 6 months to get work authorization. That 6 months is the most difficult of many relationships. Your spouse will not be able to work or travel. Just make sure you talk all this through before hand. Be strong!

Thank you. I deal with it every day, I try to work and stay busy but it's still hard. 

The AOS takes that long? How long does it take until we can travel?

Have you gone through the whole process? Did it seem less of a big deal when it was over?

Thank you.

12 minutes ago, Deanwinchester said:

Thank you. I deal with it every day, I try to work and stay busy but it's still hard. 

The AOS takes that long? How long does it take until we can travel?

Have you gone through the whole process? Did it seem less of a big deal when it was over?

Thank you.

I have not gone through the whole process but I know many people that have. Work authorization/ Advanced parole takes about 6 months to receive. As long as that is filed for in conjunction with the AOS application. The green card (permanent residency) takes approximately 1.5 years.

So at least 6 months to work and travel. That's after the wedding. Then factor in arrival, marriage, and petitioning. it will be 7-9 months from entry until the beneficiary can work or travel. Many beneficiaries go stir crazy in this time. Just stay strong and make sure you have a conversation about this before.

If you have not filed yet, I would suggest getting married and filing for a Cr1 visa. The wait is about 12-14 months and they get a green card on arrival so they can work and travel right away. Plus it is less expensive in the long run.

Edited by EmmNM

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

There are a lot of variables, and times are always changing. figure 4-6 months for the advanced Parol/ EAD card ( Some people have them in under 60 days) , and AOS is kinda related to your local service center. I have seen posts on here where people have their green card in hand before they get the AP/EAD card. But plan for the worst, hope for the best. No one can tell or really give accurate answers. Every ones case is different.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Honestly for me the hardest part was being apart and dealing with his country. NOTHING is easy in Haiti when it comes to documents (or much else for that matter). For example- he didn’t have an address and never received anything from the embassy. When we had to drop off documents and pick up passport none of the buildings were labeled- seriously no sign or anything. I couldn’t mail anything to him so had to go to Haiti to deliver documents. Having To get official documents was a hassle and cost $$. Then comes the being apart... there isn’t reliable internet service (or electricity for that matter) in Haiti- so communicating online wasn’t easy. Calling Haiti is one of the most expensive countries to call. Seriously being apart was difficult. As for the k1 - sure I was a little nervous but knew we had nothing to hide, were fairly simple (never been married, no kids, never done this process before) and our relationship is/was genuine. Submitted more than was needed I’m sure. For me- that was the hard part.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

I’d like to edit my post a bit 😊..

Honestly for me the hardest part was being apart and dealing with his country. NOTHING is easy in Haiti when it comes to documents (or much else for that matter). For example- he didn’t have an address and never received anything from the embassy. When we had to drop off documents and pick up passport none of the buildings were labeled- seriously no sign or anything. I couldn’t mail anything to him so had to go to Haiti to deliver documents. Having To get official documents was a hassle and cost $$. Then comes the being apart... there isn’t reliable internet service (or electricity for that matter) in Haiti- so communicating online wasn’t easy. Calling Haiti is one of the most expensive countries to call. Then not hearing from him for A few days thinking he died.honestly my mind was all over the place-when really there wasn’t electricity for days. Seriously - being apart was difficult. As for the k1 - sure I was a little nervous but knew we had nothing to hide, were fairly simple (never been married, no kids, never done this process before) and our relationship is/was genuine. We used a lawyer as well and definitely had peace of mind going through the legal process.Submitted more than was needed I’m sure. For me- that was the hard part. This is also another (of many)  reason why I personally wouldn’t have chosen the cr1.

tips and tricks- stay busy. If you are going to be living with your soon to be spouse in the place you are now- see what you can spruce up. I definitely had too much clutter and that made my now husband a little overwhelmed. If your fiancé is from a country where you can easily/cheaply communicate- take advantage of that too. Possibly find a volunteer opportunity that you can both do once they are here. Read- I found getting books, even fiction, about my husbands country gave me a slightly better understanding of his country and helped me to incorporate his culture into mine. Can you pick up extra overtime at work? Keeping your mind busy definitely helps! Just know that it will all be worth it in the end and you soon will be together forever!

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Congratulations on starting your K1 visa journey!

Having an unending supply of patience was the hardest part.  Keep in mind this is only the first step of a very long process.  I applied for a K1 visa for my now husband in November of 2011 and in August of 2016 my husband became a US citizen!  We have been thru the process from start to finish. We had no RFE's and the only interviews my husband had was at the K1 stage and Citizenship - so our journey was very straightforward with no complications but it was still incredibly frustrating at times .  

For us the hardest part was the second step (adjustment of status - AOS).  It took almost a year to complete this step and about 4 months to get his EAD/AP card (work/travel authorization) to start working.  I was very unprepared for how difficult that time period would be from when he arrived and when he would finally get the EAD.  My husband is a pretty tough Romanian guy and  In my mind I kept thinking the hardest part would be over once he was here because we would be together.   For almost 6 months he couldn't work and while at first we thought that would be nice so he could get settled in, and I would have a stay at home husband to make dinner (lol)  it wasn't so easy.  He was not able to get a driver's license until he got the EAD. He was pretty much stuck at the apartment all day while I was at work.   I was the only person he knew here, so its not like he could go hang out with friends while i was working.     With nothing to do and so many new things to adjust to ( the food was different, the culture, no access to public transportation where we live)  it made it easy for him to feel homesick.  It was hard on me as well because i felt completely responsible for him and his happiness/well being. 

my thoughts for you is while you have time on your hands waiting for the K1 approval, get a plan together on how to make this time easier for your spouse.  

We did the entire process from start to finish without the help of an attorney and we had a few things that could be considered "red flags", but they were never an issue for us.   If you use this site and follow the example forms you really don't need to pay an attorney.   Definitely read thru this site to education yourself about the entire process.  It helps to prepare you for what to expect at each stage.   Click on the portal at the top of the page and join the one for your country.  If will help  you know specifically what to expect at the interview and what may be important for that country.  Also there is usually a thread that you can join that is specifically for those who submitted their K1 the same month you did and it is nice to follow that and talk with others who are at the same step in process that you are. 

Congratulations and good luck on your visa journey!

K1 Visa                                                                 Adjustment of Status                                                             ROC

Service Center : California Service Center                        CIS Office : Kansas City MO Service Center                           California Service Center

Consulate : Bucharest, Romania

I-129F Sent : 2011-11-18                                 Date Filed : 2012-09-04 Date                            Filed: 2015-05-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-11-23                                      NOA Date : 2012-09-06                                                             NOA1 Date: 2015-05-28

I-129F RFE(s) : none                                              RFE(s) : NONE                                              RFE(s): NONE

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-04-12                                                 Bio. Appt. : 2012-10-03                                                              BIO. Appt.: 2015-09-15

NVC Received : 2012-04-26

NVC Left : 2012-05-10                                           EAD/AP Approved : 2012-11-08                             ROC APPROVED:2015-10-26      

Consulate Received : 2012-05-14                               EAD/AP Card Received : 2012-11-17                         Green card Received: 2015-11-04    

Packet 3 Received : 2012-05-17                                          Green card Approved : 2013-07-08                        NO INTERVIEW

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-05-20                                                    NO INTERVIEW

Interview Date : 2012-06-26                                                 Green Card Received : 2013-07-15

Interview Result : Approved                                                 

Visa Received : 2012-06-26                                                   

US Entry : 2012-07-05

Marriage : 2012-08-24

N-400 Naturalization:

04/25/2016 N-400 sent to USCIS AZ courier address thru FedEx

05/04/2106 NOA I-797 Receipt Notice Date
05/27/2016 Fingerprints Bio-metrics appointment date
06/08/2016 E-notification of interview scheduling
06/13/2016 Received official letter regarding interview
07/18/2016 Date of Interview
08/11/2016 Date Oath Ceremony
Field Office: Kansas City, MO

event.png

1 hour ago, agrabs said:

Congratulations on starting your K1 visa journey!

Having an unending supply of patience was the hardest part.  Keep in mind this is only the first step of a very long process.  I applied for a K1 visa for my now husband in November of 2011 and in August of 2016 my husband became a US citizen!  We have been thru the process from start to finish. We had no RFE's and the only interviews my husband had was at the K1 stage and Citizenship - so our journey was very straightforward with no complications but it was still incredibly frustrating at times .  

For us the hardest part was the second step (adjustment of status - AOS).  It took almost a year to complete this step and about 4 months to get his EAD/AP card (work/travel authorization) to start working.  I was very unprepared for how difficult that time period would be from when he arrived and when he would finally get the EAD.  My husband is a pretty tough Romanian guy and  In my mind I kept thinking the hardest part would be over once he was here because we would be together.   For almost 6 months he couldn't work and while at first we thought that would be nice so he could get settled in, and I would have a stay at home husband to make dinner (lol)  it wasn't so easy.  He was not able to get a driver's license until he got the EAD. He was pretty much stuck at the apartment all day while I was at work.   I was the only person he knew here, so its not like he could go hang out with friends while i was working.     With nothing to do and so many new things to adjust to ( the food was different, the culture, no access to public transportation where we live)  it made it easy for him to feel homesick.  It was hard on me as well because i felt completely responsible for him and his happiness/well being. 

my thoughts for you is while you have time on your hands waiting for the K1 approval, get a plan together on how to make this time easier for your spouse.  

We did the entire process from start to finish without the help of an attorney and we had a few things that could be considered "red flags", but they were never an issue for us.   If you use this site and follow the example forms you really don't need to pay an attorney.   Definitely read thru this site to education yourself about the entire process.  It helps to prepare you for what to expect at each stage.   Click on the portal at the top of the page and join the one for your country.  If will help  you know specifically what to expect at the interview and what may be important for that country.  Also there is usually a thread that you can join that is specifically for those who submitted their K1 the same month you did and it is nice to follow that and talk with others who are at the same step in process that you are. 

Congratulations and good luck on your visa journey!

Thank you for the advice. I guess the K-1 isn't the hard part after all haha. 

We don't have any major red flags but I think it should be fine. We dated for 5 months and then decided to get married a few months after I came back to the US. We talk all the time and I have sent tons of evidence, and front loaded the K-1. I used a lawyer, but now I'm not sure I needed one but better safe than sorry.

13 hours ago, Luckycuds said:

I’d like to edit my post a bit 😊..

Honestly for me the hardest part was being apart and dealing with his country. NOTHING is easy in Haiti when it comes to documents (or much else for that matter). For example- he didn’t have an address and never received anything from the embassy. When we had to drop off documents and pick up passport none of the buildings were labeled- seriously no sign or anything. I couldn’t mail anything to him so had to go to Haiti to deliver documents. Having To get official documents was a hassle and cost $$. Then comes the being apart... there isn’t reliable internet service (or electricity for that matter) in Haiti- so communicating online wasn’t easy. Calling Haiti is one of the most expensive countries to call. Then not hearing from him for A few days thinking he died.honestly my mind was all over the place-when really there wasn’t electricity for days. Seriously - being apart was difficult. As for the k1 - sure I was a little nervous but knew we had nothing to hide, were fairly simple (never been married, no kids, never done this process before) and our relationship is/was genuine. We used a lawyer as well and definitely had peace of mind going through the legal process.Submitted more than was needed I’m sure. For me- that was the hard part. This is also another (of many)  reason why I personally wouldn’t have chosen the cr1.

tips and tricks- stay busy. If you are going to be living with your soon to be spouse in the place you are now- see what you can spruce up. I definitely had too much clutter and that made my now husband a little overwhelmed. If your fiancé is from a country where you can easily/cheaply communicate- take advantage of that too. Possibly find a volunteer opportunity that you can both do once they are here. Read- I found getting books, even fiction, about my husbands country gave me a slightly better understanding of his country and helped me to incorporate his culture into mine. Can you pick up extra overtime at work? Keeping your mind busy definitely helps! Just know that it will all be worth it in the end and you soon will be together forever!

Yes I work full time but it's self employment so I can have some down time. I do read a lot, actually a lot more than I used to so that helps a lot. 

We are doing better everyday and I am going to visit in September so I guess we don't have it that bad. A lot of people on this site seem to have way tougher experiences.

Thank you to everybody who sent me their tips and information! Keep it coming! 

1 hour ago, agrabs said:

For us the hardest part was the second step (adjustment of status - AOS).  It took almost a year to complete this step and about 4 months to get his EAD/AP card (work/travel authorization) to start working.  I was very unprepared for how difficult that time period would be from when he arrived and when he would finally get the EAD

I second this. 

I was lucky my K-1 process took about six months from start to finish and I went to visit him in the meantime but AOS was horrible. Was counting on 9 months when my GC finally got approved, 4 months for EAD. And now it's even a longer wait.

Edited by Dutchster

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

The only frustrating thing about the K-1 was that we both expected it to go fast and smooth, especially being from a low fraud country. I was totally not informed like I am now so I was being stressed most of the time about how things go. 

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
15 hours ago, Deanwinchester said:

Thank you guys!

Do you really need the attorney? All they're going to do is have you do whatever you would have done without him and then give him money. The k1 and AOS is easy to do without an attorney and with some guidance from VJ and it saves you a ton of money. I've seen lots of people get Request for Further Evidence because their lawyer screwed up. 

Most frustrating part is waiting. I did the mistake of looking up the processing times according to the embassy and USCIS and they were completely off. We applied in July 2014 and we thought we would be done by November... Turned out it would be way longer than that. 

My biggest tip is to stay busy and try to not think about the wait time. Focus on one day at the time and make sure to communicate with your loved on as much as you can, visit if possible :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

the worst?

the long waiting with hearing nothng

the USCIS posts are not kept up to date

not being with the person u love

the money i spentand  wasted

seeing illegals get free court appointed lawyers