Deanwinchester

What is the most frustrating part for you?

50 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Depends... everyone's experience will differ from others.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

First - I agree with giving the OP some realistic expectations and sharing the different frustrations between steps (K1 versus AOS). But it can be overwhelming to remind someone who is JUST starting out what all they still have to deal with. Not to mention, all processes fluctuate over time. The length of time for AOS now may not be the case a year from now. In my opinion - do not go there yet mentally. Take it one step at a time. My now-husband and I researched enough to be aware of what will be coming down the road, and what will be expected of us, but when it came down to submitting our K1 petition, we took it one piece at a time. We tackled K1. Once he got his visa, then we fixed our eyes on AOS. Now we are focused on AOS. Sometimes it can feel like waves just crashing down on you before you can even get back on your feet, so try not to line everything up at one time to be conquered - you can only complete them one at a time anyway.

As for general frustration - most definitely just being apart. I get what everyone's saying about AOS being different, and perhaps we're jaded because we're still early in that process. But to me, it's better. We're TOGETHER for this, and not separated by an ocean. Being apart was the hardest for me.

It's not a quick or easy process. The best thing you can do between the two of you is always communicate. Always talk. Check in on one another. It'll be hard on both of you. Some days will be worse for one than the other. Look forward to your future together and the reason you're doing this. Keep your eyes on the prize.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Paul & Mallory said:

First - I agree with giving the OP some realistic expectations and sharing the different frustrations between steps (K1 versus AOS). But it can be overwhelming to remind someone who is JUST starting out what all they still have to deal with. Not to mention, all processes fluctuate over time. The length of time for AOS now may not be the case a year from now. In my opinion - do not go there yet mentally. Take it one step at a time. My now-husband and I researched enough to be aware of what will be coming down the road, and what will be expected of us, but when it came down to submitting our K1 petition, we took it one piece at a time. We tackled K1. Once he got his visa, then we fixed our eyes on AOS. Now we are focused on AOS. Sometimes it can feel like waves just crashing down on you before you can even get back on your feet, so try not to line everything up at one time to be conquered - you can only complete them one at a time anyway.

As for general frustration - most definitely just being apart. I get what everyone's saying about AOS being different, and perhaps we're jaded because we're still early in that process. But to me, it's better. We're TOGETHER for this, and not separated by an ocean. Being apart was the hardest for me.

It's not a quick or easy process. The best thing you can do between the two of you is always communicate. Always talk. Check in on one another. It'll be hard on both of you. Some days will be worse for one than the other. Look forward to your future together and the reason you're doing this. Keep your eyes on the prize.

AOS and now ROC has been the easiest so far compared to the K1. We're together and that is all that matters. Sure it was annoying to have to wait a long time for the work permit and in my case I had a really bad experience with my dad dying weeks after we got married and I had to deal with Emergency Travel and all that. But other than that AOS was a walk in the park. 

And now with ROC. I've pretty much just sent the papers in and don't even think about it. I know I will hear nothing in at least a year and before then I will have sent in my citizenship application. So my mind is 0% on ROC and 10% on Citizenship and the rest is just living my life with my husband. 

So yeah, once you get passed the K1 process, things get waaaay easier. But please do take one step at the time or it will drive you nuts. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

The money it takes

Slow USCIS

being apart from your spouse and not being able to return when u want

the corruption and bad network in their countries

hell im just frustrated all together

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

On the question of whether to use an attorney, I went to a local immigration attorney just before I filed for a CR1 spouse visa. It was my thought that my wife and I had a wrinkle in our case but the attorney assured me that the issue was no problem and advised me to file the application on my own. She charged me $0 for that advice.

I thought the 13.5 month wait was the difficult part until my wife landed here and we encountered some pretty difficult issues around her adapting to life in the USA for the first 6 months. That turned out to be the most difficult part.

By the way, these topics are like raw red meat for the VJ membership. They lure us to recall all the horrors and some of the few niceties associated with our visa journeys. Expect a few more replies. ;)

Edited by Russ&Caro

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Think probably the hardest part is the amount of varied information out there. Nothing is concise, posts aren't updated, people experience one thing and then assume that's how the whole thing works generally, and that really isn't it.

Make sure you truly understand the timelines currently, as they are. 

Do not use someone's experience from a different country as a guide. Research your specific country. Understand their process. Do not have optimism that "maybe" your process will be faster because someone else once had theirs approved in 3 months. As someone else said, take it one step at a time. 

Edited by LeesaMarie

I-129F Submitted: 01 November 2017NOA1 Received: 03 November 2017NOA2 Received: 22 May 2018 | NVC Received: 08 June 2018 | Consulate Received: 06 July 2018 | Medical: 27 July 2018 | Interview: 10 August 2018 (APPROVED) | VISA in Hand: 22 August 2018 | POE: 28 September 2018 :joy:

Days between NOA1 until VISA in hand: 292

4 minutes ago, Russ&Caro said:

On the question of whether to use an attorney, I went to a local immigration attorney just before I filed for a CR1 spouse visa. It was my thought that my wife and I had a wrinkle in our case but the attorney assured me that the issue was no problem and advised me to file the application on my own. She charged me $0 for that advice.

I thought the 13.5 month wait was the difficult part until my wife landed here and we encountered some pretty difficult issues around her adapting to life in the USA for the first 6 months. That turned out to be the most difficult part.

By the way, these topics are like raw red meat for the VJ membership. They lure us to recall all the horrors and some of the few niceties associated with our visa journeys. Expect a few more replies. ;)

I see. Everybody thinks the AOS is way harder, but my mind is not even going there now, haha.

5 minutes ago, LeesaMarie said:

Think probably the hardest part is the amount of varied information out there. Nothing is concise, posts aren't updated, people experience one thing and then assume that's how the whole thing works generally, and that really isn't it.

Make sure you truly understand the timelines currently, as they are. 

Do not use someone's experience from a different country as a guide. Research your specific country. Understand their process. Do not have optimism that "maybe" your process will be faster because someone else once had theirs approved in 3 months. As someone else said, take it one step at a time. 

Yeah, I have seen wait times on this site that were 200 plus in 2012-2014, and similar times in the last years. It's a case by case thing, and I'm not going to stress it. Waiting for NOA1, then we'll deal with everything when NOA2 comes, but I'm going to get everything but the medical (which i can't) ready for her so that we can do the medical and send everything in. I am probably going to have everything for her filled out for the other forms too. Basically once we get the word we will send it back ASAP.  Hopefully with no RFEs we can make the process smoother but faster? I don't know, who does right?

1 hour ago, Dutchster said:

I second this. 

I was lucky my K-1 process took about six months from start to finish and I went to visit him in the meantime but AOS was horrible. Was counting on 9 months when my GC finally got approved, 4 months for EAD. And now it's even a longer wait.

Any tips on making it go by faster or do you think it was just the luck of the draw?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Unless there is something difficult about your case I would ditch the attorney. They can not speed things up and will likely slow things down. It is up to you however a lot of people don't understand how simple it is. I really didn't find the process difficult at any point so far its just a waiting game.

10 minutes ago, Russ&Caro said:

I am here just to learn from people's positive experiences and mistakes. I'm getting a lot of support and it's helping me A LOT! I'm very grateful. I have nobody to talk to about this stuff.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Deanwinchester said:

I see. Everybody thinks the AOS is way harder, but my mind is not even going there now, haha.

When it comes to AOS it depends. Some have issues and some don't. Some get to have an interview, some don't. 

45 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

Do you really need the attorney? All they're going to do is have you do whatever you would have done without him and then give him money. The k1 and AOS is easy to do without an attorney and with some guidance from VJ and it saves you a ton of money. I've seen lots of people get Request for Further Evidence because their lawyer screwed up. 

Most frustrating part is waiting. I did the mistake of looking up the processing times according to the embassy and USCIS and they were completely off. We applied in July 2014 and we thought we would be done by November... Turned out it would be way longer than that. 

My biggest tip is to stay busy and try to not think about the wait time. Focus on one day at the time and make sure to communicate with your loved on as much as you can, visit if possible :)

How long did it take for you if you don't mind me asking? 

Since it's July 2018, I am expecting it to finish up (hopefully) by April. 

Just now, ThomasNC1988 said:

Unless there is something difficult about your case I would ditch the attorney. They can not speed things up and will likely slow things down. It is up to you however a lot of people don't understand how simple it is. I really didn't find the process difficult at any point so far its just a waiting game.

Haha, thanks, I now agree but it's too late. He's hired, so I make sure I get every dime out of him!

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Deanwinchester said:

How long did it take for you if you don't mind me asking? 

Since it's July 2018, I am expecting it to finish up (hopefully) by April. 

K1 from NOA1 to Visa approved at the embassy: 9 months 11 days

AOS: 7 months. 

I filed for K1 back in 2014 so I'm not sure how long it takes now.