WeGuyGal

White House Staffers Meet With Citizens Who Say They Were Victims of Marriage Fraud

80 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

K1 is not for everyone. If both of you have the ability to travel it is perfect. If only one of you can travel it gets tougher and if you have barely any time to take off might not be a good option at all. 

I agree that it is different to live with someone than to vacation. That is why, after a visit or two you stay with your partner instead of a hotel room and live like a couple. The k1 is not a "get to know your future spouse" visa. It's a "come over and get married" visa. 

Paul and I are both lucky we have jobs where we CAN take off whenever we want. The financial sacrifice of those times is worth it to us, to be together in person. I don't think either of us has ever had a job (and certainly not since we started dating) where it WASNT possible.

Having a long distance and especially international relationship, takes sacrifice of a lot. and if you cant sacrifice it, or have the freedom to do what you want, basically, then its probably a better idea to NOT consider the immigration or even cr1 process. we purposely met quickly after meeting, because we needed to know if there was attraction and compatibility in person, and not just on the screen. If there hadnt been ... well.... we were only out a couple of months of time and one visit (at that point), and it could be worse.

Edited by debbiedoo

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
46 minutes ago, E & J 2018 said:

I respectfully disagree.....  The petitioner has a much higher risk.....  We live in the USA.... most people have two weeks vacation per year. How can you possibly know what it will be like to live with someone, outside of a vacation scenario.  If you are scammed and they run off with someone after a few months or a year,  the petitioner can be held liable for financial support for ten years!!! I think the risk is much greater for the petitioner......

I agree the petitioner has a much higher risk esp. if he is a high net worth person. 
I have two kids after my wife passed away, she had a home based business, I have rentals and full-time job, also my younger has some level of autism.  How possibly I could go live with my fiance overseas many times just so that I know her better.  The protection in the law in not there for the petitioner and esp. if he is male.  I seriously considered moving overseas just because of the law being discriminatory against us.

07/27/17 - K1 packet sent at the end of day.

07/31/17 - NOA1

03/22/18 - NOA2

08/28/18 - expected date for medical completion - Sputum test was needed

09/22/18 - anticipated interview date

I really wish people would take the "learn from others' mistakes" to heart. 

It would save so many people from "marriage fraud", broken homes, "used for immigration", etc. 

Unfortunately, too many people think, "well, bad things or those things can't happen to me. I am different; I am invincible."  Wish that thinking would stop and start thinking rationally and realistically.

Timeline
43 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

USC's have roughly 162.85 million options at home

Find out how many of those are single and available in your area in your age group based on your mutual criteria etc.  Add in religious and cultural differences.  I think there can only be a few.  Who you want to marry or end up becoming a good satisfied couple is a lot more complicated.  I think chances of hitting the right person is as good as being hit by lightening in NYC.

Edited by NoProblem

07/31/17 - NOA1

03/22/18 - NOA2

2 minutes ago, NoProblem said:

I agree the petitioner has a much higher risk esp. if he is a high net worth person. 
I have two kids after my wife passed away, she had a home based business, I have rentals and full-time job, also my younger has some level of autism.  How possibly I could go live with my fiance overseas many times just so that I know her better.  The protection in the law in not there for the petitioner and esp. if he is male.  I seriously considered moving overseas just because of the law being discriminatory against us.

Nope. The affidavit of support is almost never enforced, so it's not a real risk. The beneficiary has to completely uproot their life to come live in the US, quit a job, leave family behind, etc. Gender also has nothing to do with anything. 

Your assets before you got married are your own no matter what. Only marry someone from a foreign country because you love them and they happen to be from another country. If you specifically look for a foreign bride then something is not right. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

[an overhaul of the K1+AoS process] Maybe that's what we need though? Maybe they need to sit down and look at how can the entire process be changed so that they can prevent scams, people coming over and getting divorced within months etc.  

I don't think there's a way to prevent scams as long as some petitioners are almost willfully oblivious.  

A get-to-know-each-other-before-you-marry phase inside the US would help some people, but I don't think you could mandate that.  And anyway, I think such a phase would benefit immigrants more than petitioners, as the immigrants would be able to get to know the place where they're going to live.  

One way to introduce such a phase might be to extend the K1 validity to 6 or 12 months, make it multiple-entry, and make it possible to travel during AoS.  That way both the petitioner and the immigrant could take their time to get to know each other in the US.  If you do that then it'd be fait to require the immigrants to leave if they get divorced before RoC.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 minute ago, RLA said:

I don't think there's a way to prevent scams as long as some petitioners are almost willfully oblivious.  

A get-to-know-each-other-before-you-marry phase inside the US would help some people, but I don't think you could mandate that.  And anyway, I think such a phase would benefit immigrants more than petitioners, as the immigrants would be able to get to know the place where they're going to live.  

One way to introduce such a phase might be to extend the K1 validity to 6 or 12 months, make it multiple-entry, and make it possible to travel during AoS.  That way both the petitioner and the immigrant could take their time to get to know each other in the US.  If you do that then it'd be fait to require the immigrants to leave if they get divorced before RoC.  

worst case scenario we're going to have people coming over, bailing on their partner and choosing to stay here illegally. 

The last part will just open a can of worms for scammers who already have a partner in their own country, marries a USC only to eventually bring over the partner from the home country. If they can travel in and out how they want, they can just avoid the USC most of the time and spend time with their true love back home. 

8 minutes ago, NoProblem said:

Find out how many of those are single and available in your area in your age group based on your mutual criteria etc.  I think there can only be a few.  Who you want to marry or end up becoming a good satisfied couple is a lot more complicated.  I think chances of hitting the right person is as good as being hit by lightening in NYC.

I'm pretty sure you have about the same chances of finding someone in the US as you have in another country. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

Nope. The affidavit of support is almost never enforced, so it's not a real risk. The beneficiary has to completely uproot their life to come live in the US, quit a job, leave family behind, etc. Gender also has nothing to do with anything. 

Your assets before you got married are your own no matter what. Only marry someone from a foreign country because you love them and they happen to be from another country. If you specifically look for a foreign bride then something is not right.

There are many risks, most folks want to come and live in the US and the petitioner is usually providing for visa, housing, food, security, car etc.  Its not like when I came in on F-1 visa, life was tough and it took many years of handwork to get to where I am.    I had to sometimes sleep in my car when I moved to Chicago as my work authorization was delayed.  Its much easier to come to US on fiance visa and get settled.

Lawyers can make many things possible even get a prenup tossed out.  A claim of physical abuse can cause the petitioner to lose much even his or her US job.  

> If you specifically look for a foreign bride then something is not right.
Everyone is different and there is no saying where you find your love, its not something 'wrong' to find someone in your previous country.

07/31/17 - NOA1

03/22/18 - NOA2

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

Your assets before you got married are your own no matter what.

only if you sign a prenup....

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Timeline
1 minute ago, debbiedoo said:

Nowadays prenups are getting tossed out for minor things.. even when the beneficiary was provided his or her own lawyer.

07/31/17 - NOA1

03/22/18 - NOA2

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

worst case scenario we're going to have people coming over, bailing on their partner and choosing to stay here illegally. 

The last part will just open a can of worms for scammers who already have a partner in their own country, marries a USC only to eventually bring over the partner from the home country. If they can travel in and out how they want, they can just avoid the USC most of the time and spend time with their true love back home. 

I agree that my scenario would not do anything to prevent people from staying illegally, but it wouldn't make that problem worse, either.  People can and do go underground even with the current K1 system.  And anyway, those cases are not the ones where the USC would be required to financially support the immigrant.  

I don't see avoiding the USC as a potential problem in my scenario.  I  fact, the USC would have the chance to observe their fiancé's behavior for several months before committing to marrying them.  

13 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

Do people not understand basic principles of the law? Only things you acquire during marriage are considered communal property. 

The K1 visa is hard enough on the beneficiary already. There's also quite a long waiting time for a green card, so if the marriage falls apart in the meanwhile, no green card and no legal status. 

57 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

But again: if the petitioner can't go visit he/she should find someone closer to home. He doesn't HAVE TO find someone abroad, that's a choice. USC's have roughly 162.85 million options at home. (Numbers based on a quick google search of the US population from 2017 and then dividing it in half, does not take in consideration that women/men does not make up 50/50 of population, for small children and the elderly etc.)

You're saying 90 days isn't long enough to set up a wedding? 

We did go through long periods of being unable to visit each other due to finances, work, school etc.. that did not in any way mean that we were less committed to each other and determined to see things through. We once went a couple years not visiting, that was very hard, but we did it. I know our story isn't the typical norm, where there are so many couples on VJ complaining the end of the world if they can't be with each other every waking moment... but love finds a way if you're really serious about things. We live in the most technologically connected era of our history, and couples should make use of that. And yes, during my time I've seen many couples 'self destruct' as it were due to never being able to get over the distance or have an inherent lack of trust in each other (one person I know was driven nearly over the edge) when their long LDR blew up in the very worst of ways. But the thing is I knew the moment I laid eyes on him that he was the guy for me, and me for him. And for whatever adversity, lack of funds, and distance we worked through it together. We always visited each other's homes instead of hotels. We knew very quickly our faults or dislikes. We argued, we worked it out just like anyone else. Nearly three years soon into this marriage, but we've still spent years and years together just in various forms. I think GGama set it all into my DNA though.... from late 1800s to early 1900s she was my family's first LDR... imagine how that worked.. boat trips for months and things called letters! ;)

If a person cannot get together a wedding within 90 days... they're going to have a hard time I think.

4 minutes ago, Scandi said:

It's not a "try before buy" visa, you should ALREADY have decided that you 100% want to marry the person you bring to the US, BEFORE you start the visa process. That's why letters of intent to marry are required, and have to be signed by both petitioner and beneficiary.

If you're not ready to get married you simply DO NOT start the visa process.

Well said indeed. But it seems to be a pervasive myth among some.. particularly in those who have no idea about the process and favor that TLC show which keeps promoting that 'try-before-buy' myth.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
4 hours ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

I would think the main thing to remember if it seems too good to be true it probably is. It is not always a good thing to judge a book by its cover but sometimes you can look at a picture of a couple and think something is amiss here. That's not to say some 20 year old girls from 2nd and 3rd world countries don't really truly love 65 year old white men, but your money and that green card probably din't hurt your chances. Then you have the ones that bring their fiance here and the fiance goes straight to living with relatives or friends and for some reason the USC still marries them and files AOS. It is hard to admit when you are made a fool of and it is hard to tell a family member that you think the "love of their life" is conning them but sometimes people just need to step up and face the truth.

:D common....with that age gap thats just about the added bonus on top of the green card and a path to an 'easy' living.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.