Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,457 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

This ESTA stuff... do Canadians have to fill it out now too before flying into the states?

Sarinha

First met March 2007, playing an MMORPG (ffxi)

Getting married Feb 12 2010

Will start our VJ Feb 2010

2c61618b8b94d52d.gif

I-130 Journey - VSC CR1 & CR2

02-xx-10 -I-130 sent

xx-xx-10- I-130 NOA1

xx-xx-xx- I-130 NOA2

- Total Days from NOA 1 to NOA2 xxx

I-129F Journey - VSC K3 & K4

xx-xx-xx I-130 Received @ NVC

xx-xx-xx Case Completed at NVC :

xx-xx-xx NVC Left:

- Total Days from NOA1 to NVC Complete xx

- Total Days @ NVC xx

Consulate

xx-xx-xx Received at Consulate

xx-xx-xx Medical Date

xx-xx-xx Interview Date [ ] Pass [ ] Fail

- Total Days from Recd at Consulate to Interview xxx

- Total Days from NOA1 to Interview xxx

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
This ESTA stuff... do Canadians have to fill it out now too before flying into the states?

No you don't as Canada is not part of the Visa Waiver Program. Only countries that are under the VWP have to complete ESTA.

Edited by Laura+Tom

I'll add my experiences. They're a little old (Jan 2007) but probably worth mentioning.

The background is that I first visited my then fiancee (now wife :dance:) in July '06. It was our first meeting and I entered via PHL for two weeks no problems at all. Just meeting a friend I've known for a while online and in I went. Well you all know how it went by virtue of the fact that I'm now on VJ ;). I no-showed for my return flight and left the country on day 86 of 90. Worst moment of my life. Three months later I was back, again through Philadelphia but this time booked for 88 days.

This time I got a grumpy one at the border. He asked why I was visiting and I said my girlfriend. What he did next took me by surprise - he went straight for the emergency contacts page in my passport. "And who is Cindy?" he asked. Didn't see that one coming! :help: I told him she's my girlfriend and that was that. No more questions, straight to secondary interview for me! I guess booking a long trip to see someone who's important enough to you to list them as an emergency contact (right under my mother :lol:) raises eyebrows.

The secondary processing person took my big red folder and sent me to get my baggage and come back. I had to wait a few moments for an immigration officer who searched my bags. They have some kind of sixth sense or something because she stuck her hand into my baggage and came straight back out again with the folder with all my personal documentation in it. Birth cert, bank statements, etc. She questioned me about why I'd brought my vital documents with me (thinking I wasn't going back to the UK, I presume) and I explained that we were going to get engaged and file I-129F in the near future and I was bringin my documents so we had them when it came to time to file. She seemed satisfied. I seemed terrified :o A few more questions and she told me she'd stamp me in and I'd be on my way.

It was when she came back to return my passport that she gave me a parting shot that floored me. After reminding me of the obvious 'don't get married here', she told me that (a) I was 'done' with the VWP. That I was on the verge of becoming resident by the back door (2x3 month visits) and that I would require a visa on my next visit or I'd be turned back at the border. That said, she did stamp me in and we got our 88 days (L)

Suffice to say, I never did risk returning the the USA until I had my K-1 in hand. It took almost a year. Worst time of our lives but we got through it (L)

Adjustment of Status from K-1 (Very abridged version)

05/20/08 - POE: Chicago O'Hare

07/18/08 - Married

08/30/08 - I-485/I-765 mailed...

03/17/09 - Card production ordered (no notification received!)

03/26/09 - Green card received (196 days)

Removal of Conditions

02/15/11 - I-751 mailed to VSC...

02/22/11 - NOA1 (received 03/03/11)

04/04/11 - Biometrics appt (notice received 03/19/11)

08/22/11 - * * * t u m b l e w e e d s * * * (T+6 months and counting)

09/20/11 - Service Request #1

10/26/11 - Service Request #2

11/29/11 - Interview @ Atlanta Field Office - Approved & I-551 stamped

12/07/11 - Card production ordered

12/10/11 - Green card received (293 days)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

We filed in November 2007, no approval yet. I have made trips in January 2008 - 1 week. March 2008 - 1 week; April 2008 - 2 weeks; May 29/08-Oct.25/08. I have returned to US as of January 2/09. I was really scared as I had stayed 5 months, at once, in 2008. The officer asked "how I was related to or how did I know the people I was visiting. I was honest and said that I was going to visit my fiance and that we have filed our K1 in Nov/07. He pulled our immigration status up and said "Yeah, I see that you are being held up for quite a while in the process". Well have a nice visit. I brought evidence of ties to Canada with me, rental agreement, car registration/insurance, but was not asked for it. Phew, I was scared after reading so many posts that I would be turned back, but the border patrol guy was very nice and smiled.

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

hi, I yesterday flew to Usa, I had no problems at POE(in Chicago), I said I'm going to visit my fiance for two months, the immigration officer just asked what am I doing in Poland (studying, last year) if we plan to get married ( yes in the future, we already file for k1), why we don't want to get married now and file for k3( I need to finish my studies, and we already file for k1). Oh, he aslo wanted to see my return ticket, nothing else. He wished me pleasant stay.

Please keep in mind that this account relates an event that occurred Before I discovered Visa Journey, so don't hold my/our ignorance against us, as we know better now!

Atlanta, March 2008:

Nik was traveling back with me, with the intent to stay with me for 87 days. He’d been laid off, and I some how convinced him that while he had no work obligations, he should come and stay with me - you know, to see if things could go anywhere.

We combined my first trip to the UK with his flight back - so we had the same UK-US itinerary. When we got to Immigration, I asked if, since we were travelling together, I could go into the non-US residents line with him. I figured this way, one or the other of us wouldn’t have to wait very long for the other to clear. We stuck together like any other travelling party, all the way up to the podium!

I handed the immigration officer my passport (A man between 35-45 - very serious/stern, but not mean. At least he spoke at a reasonable volume so no need to ask for repeat questions!!) - I imagine looking quite giddy at taking my boyfriend home with me, and was asked if this man was my husband (I think I surprised him, expecting a foreign passport when I handed him a US passport?) Well, no, he wasn’t. So, Nik was asked to go stand behind the “next in line” line. I naturally was let in with no problems, and he indicated that I should go along towards customs while he motioned Nik forward….

I’m not sure how much I helped things by standing impatiently (obviously) just 25 feet away. I could hear all the questions. He had the usual questions - Why are you visiting. Obviously, to visit me. How long would he be staying, 87 days (raised eyebrows). But we DID have a return ticket/itinerary with us, and there was an indication that 87 days were chosen in case of some airline problems, he could still be out within the required maximum stay. What sort of work do you do, and possibly a question or inference about what sort of work that allows 87 days in the US with one’s girlfriend!!! He answered that he helps his parents out in the shop they own. Perhaps he thought that parents at home might be good enough proof of ties more than the “job”. Fingerprints were taken, passport was stamped, and after this short delay, “welcome to America” There were no jokes. All business, and I don’t remember the guy ever cracking a smile!

It seemed to take forever, so maybe I can’t remember the other questions he was asked (if any - obviously not memorable), but I don’t remember any admonishments not to get married.

Edited by Nik+Heather

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

all these sucess stories make my fiancee chances good....now here is the situation my fiancee is from germany she is finished with school and wants to come visit in april...my sisters weddin is in april aswell...now that she decided to come i diddint want it to be a 2 week thing i want her to stay for the full 3 monthes mean while we can start planning our wedding NOT PLANNING DATES just picking out a place her dress food and so on.... i understand that proof of returning is very importent...but what type of proof should she bring because she finished school does not work and lives with her family....were both young shes 18 and im 19 ...thanks in advance!!!

all these sucess stories make my fiancee chances good....now here is the situation my fiancee is from germany she is finished with school and wants to come visit in april...my sisters weddin is in april aswell...now that she decided to come i diddint want it to be a 2 week thing i want her to stay for the full 3 monthes mean while we can start planning our wedding NOT PLANNING DATES just picking out a place her dress food and so on.... i understand that proof of returning is very importent...but what type of proof should she bring because she finished school does not work and lives with her family....were both young shes 18 and im 19 ...thanks in advance!!!

Return ticket is a good "proof"

Other than that, there is nothing else she has available.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Nik came through Atlanta from Gatwick this afternoon. He had more than just the run of the mill experience through immigration (but he got through, YAY!) (Nik->Seems normal to me though. I guess I must learn to stop mumbling nervously, and make more eye contact.)

So, he got to the podium and handed over his passport and boarding pass for transferring flight to Phoenix (customs form, I-94, etc).

The usual questions followed:

"Business or Pleasure?"

'Pleasure'

"How many days are you staying?"

Nik says he gave a 'shifty' sort of answer (Two weeks "and a bit" and counting days wasn't quickly calculated. I.e. not though to count exact number of days previously).

"Who are you going to see?"

'A friend'

"What do you do? What does she do?"

'IT, she's an engineer, mechanical'

"How did you meet?"

'On the internet'

How much cash are you carrying?

Zero

And support yourself how?

Credit Card for expenses

"Here are your documents, I'm sending you in for an interview...follow the blue line, through the double doors"

(EEK)

The doors were a little confusing, and there was a staff member who never looks up was relatively unhelpful...

2 other guys were in there - 1 just from the row in front of him was there. Also, a Dutch lady turned up as well. The other guy was a full time student studying for his PhD ("What are you studying?" "How long are you staying?" etc)

The officer greeted him pleasantly, "How are you?" etc.

"Who are you going to see?"

'My fiance Heather xxxx' (in full disclosure mode now)

"Is this the person you came to see in March 2008?"

'Yes'

"How long did you stay then?"

'88 days - 90 days'

"Why did you stay so long?"

'To spend time with her'

"How long are you staying this time? Where is your itinerary?"

Did not have it printed out - Printer ink issues - At this point the officer was distracted, and Nik remembered he'd written it all down

He pulled the paper out of his bag, and waved it triumphantly, also explaining that it could all be looked up online! Of course, on the back of the handwritten itinerary was the Hawaiian itinerary (we are going to a wedding next week).

"Oh, you're really on holiday!"

'Yes'

"You have your bag here. May I see it?"

'Yes' *bag plopped on counter*

The officer went straight for the envelope with all the proof of ties I made him bring after reading this thread!! (Nik - the officer's eyes lit up as soon as he found it")

'Ah, thats in case you asked me to establish 'proof of ties'

Front of envelope has his boss's boss's name on it. First page is his letter of approval of leave from XX date to XX date. Second page: NOA1! (The officer seemed to get excited about this!) Yes, we ARE doing things properly...

"Oh, she's alright then, she's petitioned for you."

'I'm aware we can't get married now...' etc.

Then he started stamping things, and he was soon on his way!

Nik-> big relief!

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

My fiance came through Atlanta on her way to Minnesota for my brothers wedding back in January. She was asked the usual questions and answered that she was coming for her fiance's brothers wedding in Minnesota, was only staying for 9 days and showed him the return flight information. Told her she could stay longer if she wanted to, she said that 9 days of cold was enough, he then told her that she must really love me to come to Minnesota in January. He joked with her a little while he stamped her pass and said "Welcome to America" and have fun at the wedding.

We are thinking of her coming once more for a couple weeks in March, but we will see how things go.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello guys, this is a great post, i decided to visit my fiance and the first place i came for help was VJ and i found this post, i visited my fiance this february for Valentines and yes this post helped a lot and you can VISIT.

Its quite simple, this is how my interview went at the POE went, hope this helps,

Me - Good afternoon officer

Officer - Hello, why are you here

Me - I am here to visit my fiance for Valentines

Officer - Is she a american citizen and how long have you know her

Me - Yes she is, i have know her for over a year

Officer - How did you both meet

Me - We both work for same company

Officer - What do you do for a living

Me - I am operations supervisor

Officer - Where did you get your degree

Me - I dont have a degree but a Diploma in Computer Science

Officer - What does your fiance do

Me - She is also a operations supervisor

Officer - Did you visit US before this visit

Me - Yes i did

Officer - Do you have your return plane tickets for this visit, show them to me

Me - Yes i do, i show him my iterinary

Officer - Do you plan to marry her

Me - Not this time around, we have the K1 process going on so we both are waiting for case approval

Officer - Where did you get your degree

Me - I dont have a degree but a Diploma in Computer Science

Officer - Who plans to take care of your expense, how much money are you carrying

Me - I have about $300, i am staying with my fiance so dont expect any expense

Officer - You have a good stay and enjoy your vaccation'

Me - Thanks officer, you have a good day too

So he stamps my passport and lets me go, this happened in Chicago O Hare Intl Airport. I personally believe that at the POE they are more keen to know if you have visited before, your occupation, your qualification..i think these are the key factors to determine his decision.

All i would say is you need to have loads of confidence and look the officer straight in the eye when you answer, never give him/her a chance to think that you are either lying or searching for an answer in your mind.

Go prepared and you WILL be let in.

All the best for all of your future visits.

Thanks

Beth-Ravi

Timeline:

10/29/07: First time we met in Bangalore

11/19/07: Realized we were in love

02/22/08: Her next trip to India

04/18/08: She left India

05/30/08: My first trip to US

06/09/08: Left for India

02/12/09: Visited her again for Valentines

05/27/09: Mailed application to Vermont Service Center

06/01/09: Received NOA1

07/09/09: Visited her again in US

09/13/09: Received NOA2

09/22/09: Beth received letter from National Visa Center saying package was received and will be forwarded to Chennai within the week

09/25/09: Received email from Chennai with all the docs and interview date of October 29, 2009.

10/29/09: Interview in Chennai. Visa APPROVED!!!

12/10/09: Arrived at DFW, 5 min at the POE & i am in, apparently the officer who interviewed got his wife to USA on K1 visa,what an irony

02/14/10: Wedding at Southfork Ranch in Dallas Texas

02/14/10: Headed for a honeymoon in Las Vegas :)

02/17/10: Back from honeymoon

02/22/10: Started thinking about AOS,EAD,AP (its too much paper work)

03/06/10: Filed the AOS,EAD,AP application

03/26/10: Received NOA for AOS,EAD,AP

04/05/10: Received NOA I-797C for AOS (Case transfered to CA CSC)

04/28/10: Received NOA I-797C for Bio-metrics appointment

05/18/10: Bio-Metrics taken at the Fort Worth ASC

05/20/10: Received my AP document :)

06/03/10: Received my EAD Card and a "Welcome Letter" stating my Permanent Resident Card will be mailed soon... :)

06/17/10: Received my Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) :)

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I'm sure all the vets on this board are tired of this daily question, but keep in mind that dozens of people are just starting this process every day, and the "can I visit while the application is pending?" question is one, if not the, most pressing matters to most of them.

Information about this is all over this site, but scattered. I for one am a person who likes to hear personal experiences too, so I can make a decision based on what others in my similar situation have gone through.

The answer is yes, visits are allowed. But whether you will actually be admitted lies entirely in the hands of the officer questioning you upon entry. And face it, hearing you've got a sweetheart you're intending to/have married waiting for you in the US is going to set off a "he/she is just going to stay here forever" bell to that officer. It's your job to convince that officer that you have a life back in your home country that you fully intend, and will, go back to.

Anyway, I'm hoping people will post their experiences visiting the USC before and during the visa journey. I'm sure that all of us do visit legally, and do leave when we're supposed to. So, is there anything that worked for you? Hindered you? If you were ever denied, why? Were you able to remedy the situation and try again?

Going through customs can make your stomach turn, and make you feel like a criminal even though you've done nothing wrong. So, let's try to calm each other down and tell each other our experiences. I think we'll find that most of us are admitted (albeit with a little hassle, perhaps).

Vets, maybe this will cut down on having to answer the question 5 times a day!

Michele

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I apologise in advance for this question but I am new to all this and dont know a thing. ..The woman I plan on marrying is coming for a visit(from Philippines),,we were thinking of getting married while she us here, but after reading some of these posts it looks like that is a big NO NO. She was told once here she could change her visa from a tourist to a marriage viss,,any of this sound right ?

Filed: Timeline
I apologise in advance for this question but I am new to all this and dont know a thing. ..The woman I plan on marrying is coming for a visit(from Philippines),,we were thinking of getting married while she us here, but after reading some of these posts it looks like that is a big NO NO. She was told once here she could change her visa from a tourist to a marriage viss,,any of this sound right ?

If you are planning on getting married in the US and have her stay and adjust status, that's visa fraud. Your above post is proof enough of your intent to marry and stay. However, if you want just to get married, then she goes back home and you file for a spousal visa, then you will have no problems, because you will be doing things according to the letter of the law.

I never visited once while waiting for my K-1 visa (and it did took some time - eight months altogether, including a returned petition), because I didn't want to risk anything, and also because I needed to save my vacation days for when I would be getting ready to leave. My now husband came to see me for three short visits instead.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi everybody,

I want to tell my experience at port of entry in Newark. First of all let me tell you that I have been in the US several times under VWP: March-June 2007, October-January 2008 and now entered on March 1st for others 88 days.

There were only 5 officers and I think around 1,000 people before me at Newark on Sunday afternoon. After almost 2 hours after landing I am finally in front of the officer. Here is step by step my experience...hopefully can help somebody...

First question:

-Why you have a new passport?

Me: They stole my wallet in my country and I had my passport in it.

-Are you sure?

Me: Yes I have reported it to the Police in my country and they did a new passport for me along with ID, driver license ecc ecc...

-Show me the report you did at the Police!

Me: I am sorry, I don't have it here. I used it to have my new passport.

-Why you didn't bring the report?

Me: I didn't know I had to. I am sorry.

-What are you doing in the US?

Me: I am visiting my boyfriend

-What does he do?

Me: He works for......

-Since how long do you know him?

Me: One year and a half

-Where did you meet him?

Me: In Ny in.....

-How long are you staying in the US?

Me: 88 days

-Why so long?

Me: I am a student and I can study from here and go back in my country in June to have my exams session.

-Repeat where did you meet your boyfriend?

Me: In Ny in.....(I started to get scared!!!!!)

-Repeat since how long do you know him?

Me: One year and a half ( now I was so scared that I told him that we applied for a K1 visa and we received NOA1)

-Show me the NOA1

Me: Here is it.

-Who is supporting you?

Me: My boyfriend and my parents.

-Do you like America?

Me: Yes I do.

-Do you have a return ticket?

Me: Yes here is it

-I cannot find the flight!!!!

Me: Here is it (of course it was not in English!) I am going back on May...

-Who is paying for your stay?

Me: my boyfriend and my parents (again the same question! I was already imagining myself on the next plane to my country!)

-How much money your parents have in the account?

Me: I don't know exactly sir, I think around.....

-Show me the credit card they gave you!

Me: Here is it sir.

Finally he stamped my passport with 90 days staying.......next time I won't risk it again! I will wait for my visa!

The all "interview" was very long....before to ask me the questions he was looking in my eyes for around 1 minute and then ask the question.

It was not a good experience but I still suggest to try it if you can!

Good luck everybody!

AC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.