Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,457 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
For instance, it never occurred to Adam or I that Border Patrol would question whether Adam actually knew the person he was claiming to be coming here to see. So, from that experience, I'm going to give Adam a short letter from me w/ photo of us together attached to show to customs saying yes, Adam is my fiance, I know him!

Good idea. Has anyone done it? I'd be interested in reading experiences.

To expand on that idea, I'm wondering if I should ask my fiance to write a letter stating that we are engaged, that I'll be staying with him, and that we plan to get married after our K-1 is approved and only then. Would having the USC put that in writing help show that we aren't trying to do anything illegal?

I'm concerned because as a self-employed person, I can't get a letter from an employer, and because I live in a suite in a house, I don't have a lease or a mortgage. I'll bring a letter from my landlady for my next trip (for 3 weeks in July), and I'll bring all the K-1 paperwork I have so far. I did get through with this evidence in March, but barely, and I need as much as I can to help. The next border guard might be less understanding.

This next trip is actually a sort of business trip that a company is paying for (which I extended into a 3-week trip because my fiance doesn't live far from where I'm going), so I have to get into the US for them as well as for myself. (And no, the timing of this trip can't be changed.)

So all these replies kind of begs the question.... What were the Points of Entry that everyone went through?

When I went to the US in March, the POE was the Blaine border crossing near Vancouver, Canada. So much for the theory that land crossings are easier than airport POEs, at least for me. This time, I'll be flying out of Vancouver.

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories. If those who were planning trips to the US earlier in this thread could post about their experiences if they've entered the US by now, those stories would be useful for the rest of us. :yes:

K-1, AOS, ROC
2007, 2009, 2011

Naturalization

2016-05-17 - N-400 package sent

2016-05-21 - NOA1 (IOE receipt number)

2016-06-15 - Biometrics

2016-11-08 - Citizenship interview in Detroit: approved
2016-12-16 - Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
For instance, it never occurred to Adam or I that Border Patrol would question whether Adam actually knew the person he was claiming to be coming here to see. So, from that experience, I'm going to give Adam a short letter from me w/ photo of us together attached to show to customs saying yes, Adam is my fiance, I know him!

Good idea. Has anyone done it? I'd be interested in reading experiences.

To expand on that idea, I'm wondering if I should ask my fiance to write a letter stating that we are engaged, that I'll be staying with him, and that we plan to get married after our K-1 is approved and only then. Would having the USC put that in writing help show that we aren't trying to do anything illegal?

I'm concerned because as a self-employed person, I can't get a letter from an employer, and because I live in a suite in a house, I don't have a lease or a mortgage. I'll bring a letter from my landlady for my next trip (for 3 weeks in July), and I'll bring all the K-1 paperwork I have so far. I did get through with this evidence in March, but barely, and I need as much as I can to help. The next border guard might be less understanding.

This next trip is actually a sort of business trip that a company is paying for (which I extended into a 3-week trip because my fiance doesn't live far from where I'm going), so I have to get into the US for them as well as for myself. (And no, the timing of this trip can't be changed.)

So all these replies kind of begs the question.... What were the Points of Entry that everyone went through?

When I went to the US in March, the POE was the Blaine border crossing near Vancouver, Canada. So much for the theory that land crossings are easier than airport POEs, at least for me. This time, I'll be flying out of Vancouver.

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories. If those who were planning trips to the US earlier in this thread could post about their experiences if they've entered the US by now, those stories would be useful for the rest of us. :yes:

For the business aspect of your trip, I'd suggest that you try to get the company funding the trip to write a letter on your behalf, detailing the trip. Then you could just tell them that you're adding on a bit of holiday for yourself.

I agree with you completely that the land borders from Canada into the US are really tough. My fiance had a rough go at the Peace Bridge last July, and when we popped over to Niagara on the Lake last week for a spot of lunch we were hassled at the Queenston-Lewiston bridge, despite the fact that he had a vaild I94 in his passport. They keep accusing him of living here! We've made the decision to make no more trips to Canada until after we're married and he has his greencard!

Good luck with your trip! Hopefully, since you're flying in, it won't be as difficult.

This is a great thread. I love it.

My husband and I (I'm the USC and also a Canadian PR) live in Canada. We've gone into the US together once since his application was sent to Montreal. The immigration guy at the border (Pearson Airport in TO) asked where we were going (NYC to visit my brother) and how long we were staying (4 days). He scanned our passports and looked a little annoyed and asked us when we were last in the US (beginning of April). He asked us what our jobs were. My husband said that he's an audio technician and I said that I'm a legal transcriptionist. He stamped our boarding passes and sent us on our way. His very stern attitude scared me, but my husband took it all in stride. He didn't ask to see any proof of anything and didn't actually ask us if we had a visa application in process. Just in case, though, we had with us:

-A letter from my husband's employer stating when he was due back at work

-A copy of the lease on our apartment

-A flight itinerary printed by the people at the Continental desk

-A full copy of our visa application

We're going to visit again next month and I'm a little more worried because we'll be there longer and we'll be in different places. We're starting off visiting my grandparents outside of Boston, then going to a wedding in Boston a few days later, then going to Colorado for a vacation for 10 days, then driving from Colorado to TX, staying in TX for two days, then flying back to Toronto. I have thought and thought and thought and I have no idea what I'm going to say when the immigration officer asks us where we're going. But we'll have the same evidence as before, including an invitation to the wedding we're going to. I tend to get really nervous about this kind of thing, so I've thought through every question they could possibly ask us and I've got answers all mapped out in my head. I figure since we're travelling together and returning to Canada together, that will help us get Steve across the border.

I don't have a letter from my employer for a variety of reasons. Does that seem like something I would need, or do you guys think that just a letter from my husband's employer would suffice?

I arrived in the states (still there now) 19th June. I had all my evidence of ties etc. It wasn't needed and was let in with no problems.

So all is good.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I also found this topic very useful when I was planning my trip to my fiance's sister's wedding. My fiance and I live together in Germany and we flew here together yesterday, so I wasn't too worried that we'd look too suspect, and thankfully I didn't need to call him over to back me up!

POE was Memphis.

I was asked the purpose of my journey: Fiance's sister's wedding

Then the officer asked "So when is YOUR wedding?" and I replied "We don't know yet, we've applied for a fiance visa and are waiting for the approval..."

To which the officer replied "Good answer". I was very happy with that!

Then he also asked me just general things about Ireland. I was so relieved!

I didn't need the employer's letters from my employer, my fiance's employer, or the wedding invitations, but was very glad I had them all the same.

Thanks for this topic!

L

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
I was asked the purpose of my journey: Fiance's sister's wedding

Then the officer asked "So when is YOUR wedding?" and I replied "We don't know yet, we've applied for a fiance visa and are waiting for the approval..."

To which the officer replied "Good answer". I was very happy with that!

Ooooh, nice! Thanks for tip!

Glad you got in just fine, and glad to hear everyone else seems to be having little trouble as well.

Michele

K-1 Journey:

April 12, 2007 - Mail I-129F packet to NSC

May 1, 2007 - Application received by CSC

May 1, 2007 - NOA1 sent

May 3, 2007 - Touch

May 4, 2007 - Check cashed by CSC

June 1, 2007 - Call USCIS since 30 days w/out receiving paper NOA1, told to call back after it's been 45 days

June 15, 2007 - Call USCIS for update on NOA1. Told address correct, NOA1 was not generated, they will do so

August 2, 2007 - TOUCH!!!

August 3, 2007 - TOUCH!!!!!!!

August 6, 2007 - Received hard copy NOA1, finally

August 12, 2007 - TOUCH! (Sunday?)

August 14, 2007 - TOUCH!

August 15, 2007 - TOUCH!

August 15, 2007 - NOA2!!!

August 16, 2007 to present:

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

November 1, 2007 - File leaves CSC

November 3rd, 2007 - File arrives at NVC

November 7th, 2007 - File processed by NVC, sent to London Embassy

November 20th, 2007 - File processed by London Embassy

December 8th - Adam receives packet 3

Filed: Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

My friend already told my story here, but I will repeat.

I visited my fiancee in California last month, while ( still) waiting for my NOA 2 and everything went out just fine. The officer only asked to see my return tickets and to see "what was written on the shirt I was wearing"!!!!! hahahah

But I was VERY nervous the whole trip, and almost drove Daniel crazy.

Just make sure you bring enough proof (I brought a document saying I was a finalist med student), and your return ticket is very important too.

Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This POE experience was certainly different from my last one. Because the border guard recorded my K-1 data last time, I knew that I was in their computer system. I brought 4 thick 9X12 envelopes with me for evidence:

• My I-129F file, including the NOA2
  • My Packet 3 from the local consulate in its original envelope and everything I've compiled for it so far (Canada police certificate, forms, medical appointment card, partly-filled-in checklist)
  • Ties to Vancouver (no employer or lease/mortgage, so I brought a letter from my landlady, bank statements, tenant and travel insurance records, correspondence with insurance agents, bank records, and phone records)
  • Correspondence with the company that paid for this trip showing the arrangements that were made

The border guard wanted to know the name of the company that's sending me to the conference and who I was going to visit for the rest of the 3-week trip. I noticed a slight reaction when I said "my fiance," but he didn't say anything about that. Most of the conversation was about the work I do and the fact that I'd written on the Customs form that I had a banana with me and was going to eat it before boarding. (They don't want us to write that much detail.)

I spent 8-10+ hours getting all that paperwork together, and I didn't have to show any of it at the POE. But I was glad that I had it with me in case I had needed it.

And here I am in the US with my fiance for 3 weeks. That was one joyful reunion last night. (L) (L)

K-1, AOS, ROC
2007, 2009, 2011

Naturalization

2016-05-17 - N-400 package sent

2016-05-21 - NOA1 (IOE receipt number)

2016-06-15 - Biometrics

2016-11-08 - Citizenship interview in Detroit: approved
2016-12-16 - Oath ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Just when I thought I had everything covered I discover this thread and there goes my heart sinking again!

My fiance and I are just about to file for our K-1, in order to beat the July 30th deadline.

I also plan to visit him during August for about a month. I have just resigned from a permanent job and given up my home so that I can move in with my Mum and save some money whilst the K-1 is processing. As a teacher, I am signing up for supply work when I return from my trip to the US.

As a result, I now do not have a lease agreement on a home or a permanent job as proof of ties to the UK. I really don't want to be denied entry to the US. I am simply visiting my fiance for a holiday and will have only *just* filed for the K-1. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do under these circumstances to prevent being denied on POE?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
Just when I thought I had everything covered I discover this thread and there goes my heart sinking again!

My fiance and I are just about to file for our K-1, in order to beat the July 30th deadline.

I also plan to visit him during August for about a month. I have just resigned from a permanent job and given up my home so that I can move in with my Mum and save some money whilst the K-1 is processing. As a teacher, I am signing up for supply work when I return from my trip to the US.

As a result, I now do not have a lease agreement on a home or a permanent job as proof of ties to the UK. I really don't want to be denied entry to the US. I am simply visiting my fiance for a holiday and will have only *just* filed for the K-1. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do under these circumstances to prevent being denied on POE?

I think you are going to be just fine. I seems they, most of the time, don't even ask to see any of the paperwork it's been recommended to bring.

If you pay your mom anything (and I do mean ANYTHING, give her a pound right now, boom: rent), she's your landlady and can write you a letter as such. If she has a different last name than you, all the better. But if not, it should still be fine. She could even just sign her first name and list her phone number...

It seems from the remarks made here that customs will ask you questions far more than ask for any proof. So just answer truthfully. Bore them with the details of filing a K-1, just to prove you are doing things the right way.

The two times Adam visited as my fiance, he had NO paperwork with him, at all. And they were essentially back to back visits, three weeks in January and then 3 months starting in February. He got hassled a bit (it was kind of suspicious, I suppose) but he was let in none the less.

Just keep in mind customs is trying to keep out the "baddies" but let the regular visitors in. All you are doing is visiting. Keep that in mind, that you are not doing anything wrong. No one can tell you that YOU WILL BE LET IN, but odds are very, very high in your favor that you will be. Just be honest, you're here to visit your fiance and will be leaving. I assume you'll have return tickets; that seems to be enough to satisfy a lot of customs workers right there.

Customs workers are human beings too. They have husbands and wives and boyfriends and girlfriends and they understand wanting to see a significant other. It's just their job to give you the 3rd degree.

But everything you said about your situation makes perfect sense to me for your plans for the future. Of course you can save a bundle of money by living with your mom! You've got a plan in the works for when you return as far as employment. There's just no "funny business" you're trying to pull, and customs will see that.

You'll be fine!!!!

Michele

K-1 Journey:

April 12, 2007 - Mail I-129F packet to NSC

May 1, 2007 - Application received by CSC

May 1, 2007 - NOA1 sent

May 3, 2007 - Touch

May 4, 2007 - Check cashed by CSC

June 1, 2007 - Call USCIS since 30 days w/out receiving paper NOA1, told to call back after it's been 45 days

June 15, 2007 - Call USCIS for update on NOA1. Told address correct, NOA1 was not generated, they will do so

August 2, 2007 - TOUCH!!!

August 3, 2007 - TOUCH!!!!!!!

August 6, 2007 - Received hard copy NOA1, finally

August 12, 2007 - TOUCH! (Sunday?)

August 14, 2007 - TOUCH!

August 15, 2007 - TOUCH!

August 15, 2007 - NOA2!!!

August 16, 2007 to present:

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

November 1, 2007 - File leaves CSC

November 3rd, 2007 - File arrives at NVC

November 7th, 2007 - File processed by NVC, sent to London Embassy

November 20th, 2007 - File processed by London Embassy

December 8th - Adam receives packet 3

Filed: Timeline

Get a letter from your enw job saying you will return to work on XX/XX/XXXX. Printout bank statements. Bring your K1 NOA if you have it. Good luck.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I think her problem is that she doesn't have a job now as she has just resigned her position. She hopes to get some work when she gets back from visiting her fiance in August.

Like Devilette, I suggest bank statements, but I'd also suggest credit card bills and a letter from your mother, saying that you are living with her and will be returning to the UK after your August visit. Make sure you put in dates aswell.

Your fiance will have the NOA1, so it might not be possible to get it over to you in time for your trip. So, have the case number handy incase they ask for it (probably won't happen, but it's a good idea to be safe).

Edited by mags

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Thanks all for your advice. Michele and Mags are right, the issue is that I won't have a confirmed job when I return because it will probably be agency work. My mother lives 300 miles away and so I won't have had chance to sign up for work until I return in September.

Michele, I did think everything made sense too! There is no way I could afford to go through this process had I not been given the opportunity to return to live with my Mum for a while. Anyway, I think I can handle the questions, I was just concerned about not having appropriate documentation to back the words up. But, I do have copies of the K1 application we're about to send in and can get the letters you suggested to confirm I still have ties to the UK.

I just wonder why US immigration would assume that anyone would apply for the K1 then mess it all up by staying in the US for an illegitimate length of time.

Thanks for the reassuring words :)

Thanks all for your advice. Michele and Mags are right, the issue is that I won't have a confirmed job when I return because it will probably be agency work. My mother lives 300 miles away and so I won't have had chance to sign up for work until I return in September.

Michele, I did think everything made sense too! There is no way I could afford to go through this process had I not been given the opportunity to return to live with my Mum for a while. Anyway, I think I can handle the questions, I was just concerned about not having appropriate documentation to back the words up. But, I do have copies of the K1 application we're about to send in and can get the letters you suggested to confirm I still have ties to the UK.

I just wonder why US immigration would assume that anyone would apply for the K1 then mess it all up by staying in the US for an illegitimate length of time.

Thanks for the reassuring words :)

Seeing the number of people who have been let in for 90 day visits is reassuring. My husband and I are still going to the US for 15 days later this month, but I have to move back to the US in August to start law school and his application probably won't be done until December/January. We're going to try and see if he can come with me for the first two months that I'm in school, because I have no holidays in those months and won't be able to go visit him at all. I have a week off in November and two weeks off in December, though, so it'll be easier for me to go to Canada then. I've been really nervous about him being allowed in (especially since this will be barely a week after we get back from our 15 day vacation), but we're really prepared in terms of documents and letters and proof that he'll return and we think we know how best to answer questions at the border, so I'm hoping we'll be okay. Reading everyone's experiences getting in for long periods of time has helped calm me down :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi, just registered so I could relay my recent experience. Myself and my Fiancée are awaiting our NAO2 but I decided to risk a trip across to visit her. I flew out on the 2nd July from Manchester to Philadelphia and after reading this thread was quite hopeful of getting into the country, even so I took an envelope full of evidence with me just in case. I needn't have worried. The agent only asked me the following 3 questions;

1. The purpose of my visit? Business or pleasure.................pleasure.

2. Who I would be staying with in the USA?...................My Fiancée.

3. How long would I be staying for?....................A week.

The only other words he said where............"Have a nice trip"

I must admit I was prepared for a much tougher grilling but the guy and the one in the next line where great, they were laughing and joking with everybody waiting, even leaving their booths to share a joke.

I hope this helps ease the worries of anybody else thinking of taking a trip!

Carl

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.