Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,457 posts in this topic

Does anybody have any experience coming in as a business visitor (B-1) while the K-1 petition is pending? My fiance wants to come in on the business visitor visa as he has before, so he wouldn't really need to say we have the K-1 pending since the purpose of his visit isn't to see me, but to conduct business and leave when he is done. But I want to make sure we do it the right way. Any thoughts?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Make sure he brings evidence of the work he is coming to do and has round trip tickets. If he works for someone maybe they will give him a letter stating his schedule on company letter head with a contact number for verification.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

• 5 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Here my story:

I booked my tickets about a month after receiving the NOA1 notice. I wanted to visit my fiancé for his birthday, which was a month later.

We were at the beginning of the K1 process, I thought it would be a long journey compared to the statistics. Three days after booking my tickets, my fiancé called me and said we got the NOA2. We have been approved in 35 days only.

I was wondering if it was a good idea to go visit him while we were so close to the end of the process. I didn't take any insurance in case of cancellation, so I decided to go to see him in Colorado anyway.

During my layover in Cincinnati, I was asked the usual questions. When I told the officer I was unemployed. He asked me for evidence for my return to France.I showed him my reservation with the flight back to France, but it was not enough for him. Then, I told the officer that my fiancé and I are in the K-1 visa process. I took out a copy of the I-129F cover letter signed by my fiancé. He said it's very good to want to get married in the rules. He congratulated me and wished me a good stay. He didn't even look at the copy of NOA1 and NOA2. I was so relieved.

Here my story:

I booked my tickets about a month after receiving the NOA1 notice. I wanted to visit my fiancé for his birthday, which was a month later.

We were at the beginning of the K1 process, I thought it would be a long journey compared to the statistics. Three days after booking my tickets, my fiancé called me and said we got the NOA2. We have been approved in 35 days only.

I was wondering if it was a good idea to go visit him while we were so close to the end of the process. I didn't take any insurance in case of cancellation, so I decided to go to see him in Colorado anyway.

During my layover in Cincinnati, I was asked the usual questions. When I told the officer I was unemployed. He asked me for evidence for my return to France.I showed him my reservation with the flight back to France, but it was not enough for him. Then, I told the officer that my fiancé and I are in the K-1 visa process. I took out a copy of the I-129F cover letter signed by my fiancé. He said it's very good to want to get married in the rules. He congratulated me and wished me a good stay. He didn't even look at the copy of NOA1 and NOA2. I was so relieved.

Geez - you momentarily put us in suspense, then the good news! Glad it worked out! But then you leave us hanging with no details of your visit with your sweety - we always want to hear MORE GOOD NEWS - mushy smushy :yes:

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Sorry for leaving you hanging with no details of my visit. :blush:

My stay was wonderful! For my fiancé's birthday, we went to a nice restaurant nestled in a mountain meadow at the base of Larkspur Bowl, in Beaver Creek, CO. It was fantastic. To get to the restaurant, we had to ride a snowcat. It was fun. I went to my first baseball game in Denver. The Rockies won! :dance: I went snowboarding in Vail. The weather was gorgeous. My whole stay was a blast. I can't wait to move with my fiancé for good.

Before we were engaged, my English fiance visited me three times in New York last summer. He never stayed more than a few weeks at a time, and followed all the rules: we (obviously) didn't get married, he didn't try to work illegally, etc. But entering at JFK for his third visit, he got pulled aside and taken to an interview room, where the guy behind the counter was really aggressive and rude to him, yelling and asking him what he was doing coming back and forth so much. Fair enough, but no reason to yell. My fiance kept his cool and told the truth, said he was visiting his girlfriend, he did freelance work so he saved up money to come, etc. The man was a real jerk about it, and told him he was abusing the tourist visa program. My fiance was upset about that, because this whole time, we thought we'd been USING the tourist visa program, not abusing it. He'd never stayed for anywhere close to 90 days or anything.

Anyway, the official let him in the country, but told him he didn't want to see him back in the country again for another year. My fiance (who had a ring in his suitcase and was actually coming to propose!) asked if he'd be allowed back within a year if he had a fiance visa, and the man begrudgingly said yes, that was allowed.

I have no idea if he's flagged on a list anywhere, or if this could come up in his interview. They stamped his passport like normal, no notes or anything, but he hasn't risked coming back since, and instead I've been taking advantage of the much longer UK visa waiver program, where I can stay up to six months while we wait to be approved.

We have a friend who works in visas, and she said this was unfortunate, and just our luck of the draw. It was discouraging for him to be treated so roughly, and hasn't improved his opinions of jumping through the U.S. government's hoops now that we're in the K-1 visa process.

K-1:
April 21, 2010: I-129F Sent (from London to VSC)
April 27, 2010: NOA1, check cashed
July 9, 2010: NOA2 (hardcopy)
July 12, 2010: NVC sent petition to embassy in London
October 7, 2010: Packet 3 logged at embassy
November 3, 2010: Interview: APPROVED!
December 7, 2010: POE: JFK
December 10, 2010: Wedding

AOS:
April 27, 2011: Sent I-485, I-864, EAD and AP to Chicago
May 5, 2011: Received text notifications, check cashed
May 9, 2011: NOA hardcopy via mail
May 14, 2011: RFE (for incorrectly filling out I-693)
June 3, 2011: Biometrics
June 17, 2011: RFE response delivered
June 21, 2011: Case under RFE review
June 23, 2011: Transferred to CSC!
June 29, 2011: EAD and AP approved!
July 9, 2011: EAD/AP card arrived via mail
January 4, 2012: RFE
January 28, 2012: RFE response delivered
January 30, 2012: Case under RFE review
February 8, 2012: Green card in production!
February 14, 2012: Green card received in mail

ROC:

December 4, 2013: Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

December 9, 2013: NOA1

January 13, 2014: Biometrics

May 15, 2014: Green card in production!

Filed: Timeline

Hi. This question is of great concern to us -- whether fiancee can visit during K1 process. It seems most opine it is possible, but up to the discretion of the border agent. I cannot understand why a customs/border official would be inclined to refuse entry on the suspicion of overstaying a visa. If one wanted to do overstay a tourist visa, then why file a K1 in the first place? I have told my overly paranoid financee my line of thinking many times. Am I missing something? What is the risk? Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello all,

I have found this thread to be so helpful as I am planning to have my fiance come to the states while we wait to go to his interview.

Here is our story and will update later on the results.

My fiance got his tourist visit in September and came to visit 2 weeks later. When he arrived he had all his paperwork to show ties including a return flight in November but was only asked why he was here and who he was staying with. The officer who questioned him was Dominican so they spoke to each other in Spanish and he said she was very nice and did not ask to see any paperwork. His I94 was good until March 22 and he left March 2. We already had plans for me to go visit him in Mexico April 13 for 2 weeks and figured that would be around the time we would get our NOA2 but to my surprise we were approved March 16. It usually takes about a month and half for Juarez to send out the open appointment letter so the timing was perfect as we could just go to his interview while I was there, our plan has always been for me to go with him to the interview. However after looking at plan tickets from Cancun, where my fiance lives, to Juarez one way it's outragous. So our plan is for him to return home with me and within a month fly to his interview to El Paso, TX because it is cheaper. So here are my fears, he will not have proof of ties as he doesnt plan to go back after his interview(of course this is assuming he is approved), he will not have a return flight due to the flight we are going to book is not outside the US as we will take a taxi from El Paso to Juarez, also he wil returning 2 onths after being in the states for almost 6 months. I know the job of the POE officer is to make sure he doesnt have intent to stay but basically that will be our intent. Hopefully us coming in together and him having the NOA2 and the letter from the NVC will be enough for the officer to understand our situation. I would love to also have the open appoinment letter from the Consulate but most people end up not receiving it because of the mail system in Mexico so they just end up getting a copy before the medical exam. My biggest thing is I do not want to fly to his interview by myself as I am concerned with all the violence going on there.

So this is what we are planning and I feel like if they let him in then it should be a breeze for everyone else!!

Jessica

Just wanted to give everyone an update, they let him in!!!!!

We flew into Miami, he went in the vistors line and I the citizen line, needless to say I got through quickly and was told I could not wait for him and to go to baggage. The officer asked him who he was staying with, how long ago he was in the US, what did he do while he was here for 5 months and why was he here now? He told them he was here to visit his fiance and her family, he was here about 2 months ago and when he was here before he was also visiting his fiance and her family. The officer stamped him for 6 months. He met me in baggage and we went to the line to give our customs forms and he was ordered to go to secondary. The officer here was pretty aggressive, asked all the same questions but more in detail and as though he was trying to get him to mess up his answers. He also asked when he planned to leave, he told him the beginning of June and did he want to see the return flight paper, the officer said no. It took a lot but my fiance kept his cool, the officer at the end told him it was his lucky day and to go ahead. I know its their job to question tourist to make sure the intent is not to overstay but they don't have to talk to people the way they do. It really makes our country look bad when this is the first greeting you get.

So the end outcome was good but as others have mentioned just be prepared to be talked to like you are a criminal. By the way they neither officer mentioned anything of the K1 visa which of course neither did my fiance!

Good luck to all1

12-28-09 Sent I-29F
12-29-09 VSC received I-29F
01-06-10 NOA1 hardcopy received
03-16-10 NOA2 email
05-18-10 Interview-Approved!
05-20-10 K-1 Visa received-entered US
06-04-10-Married

Adjustment of Status
06-17-10 Sent AOS & EAD
06-18-10 AOS & EAD received at Chicago lockbox
06-23-10 NOA Email & Text received
06-24-10 Check cashed
06-26-10 NOA Hardcopies received
06-28-10 Touched
07-06-10 Biometrics letter-appointment 7-26-10
07-07-10 Walk-in Biometrics successful
07-16-10 EAD Touch, AOS RFE sent ) :
07-19-10 RFE letter received for tax transcript /AOS & EAD touch
07-22-10 text RFE received
07-23-10 AOS touch
08-05-10 AOS transferred to CSC
08-06-10 AOS touch
08-07-10 AOS & EAD touch
08-12-10 case resumed at CSC
08-19-10 EAD card production ordered
08-20-10 text EAD approved-EAD touch
08-23-10 AOS touch
08-24-10 AOS touch
08-25-10 2nd notice EAD card ordered
08-28-10 EAD card received
09-21-10 GC Production ordered
09-27-10 GC and Welcome letter received

N400

1-6-2016-sent N400 express 1 day mail

1-7-2016- received at Texas lockbox and signed by K Coltrin

1-12-2016-check cashed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Here my story:

OMG! You're lucky, that was so fast! Let's hope everyone gets such luck! Congrats! :)

Samantha (CANADA) and Daniel (USA)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi guys.

Just to be short, I visited my boyfriends often in one years during the process of the k-1 and yes I had problem, but I all the time suceed to across..

the question his, do some of you had problem a t the interview because of all the visit you had in the usa? I did visit 2 or 3 months at the time for a lot of time. Do the person who interview me know all the information that the bordel patrol put in the computer on you??

I just wonder if my visits in the usa are gonna be destroying my interview case.....

some people have some idea??

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Initially filing for K3, now in process for an IR1.

I visited my wife for 1.5 week last april in LA. (after having visited at xmas, see post 19th january)

Was a bit less nervous than last time.

I booked a direct flight Paris - Los Angeles (LAX).

I had the following documents with me:

- last paycheck (in french)

- letter from employer that i was expected to return (english)

- last two appartment rent slips (french)

- last two bank statements (french)

- signed holiday demand from work (in french) + my business card

- some work , to show i was really working...

- NOA2 of I 129 and I 130

I had one medium suit case, plus a shoulder bag with me.

The officer asked me just a few questions :

- how long you're going to stay ?

- what are you going to do ?

cant remember if he asked me who i am going to see...anyway, it went well and I did not have to show any of the paper work again.

next visit hopefully with my IR1 !

good luck to everyone

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I visited my fiance 3 times before we filed for the fiance visa and never had a problem entering. They would only ask where I was going, who I was visiting, how long I would be there for, did I file for the fiance visa yet, and when I was coming back. All 3 times I flew from Edmonton, Alberta and there was never a problem. I was going for 1-2 weeks at a time and went in October, November and December.

Then in March, I tried driving across for a 3 month visit and was turned around at North Portal in North Dakota. They said I couldn't prove my ties to Canada and thought I was moving down. I had no job, no apartment to go back to, so I understand why they turned me around. And no, having 2 kids waiting for me to come back was not enough to prove my ties to Canada. I must say also that I lied about having a job and they did check with my employer who obviously told them I had quit my job. It's a long story, but in the end they did turn me around.

So I went back to Canada, started working with staffing agencies, filed for EI in April (and got approved), and I'm renting a room from my ex-husband right now. Now I'm going to visit him for 2 weeks in June. Here is what I'm bringing with me:

-Letter from my ex-husband confirming the rental agreement (and yes, i pay rent)

-Verification of employment from the staffing agencies

-Proof that I'm receiving government funding (EI) that I cannot get if I don't come back

-My itinerary including my return flight.

-Letter from my OB saying that I am pregnant and expecting in August. It states that I have made arrangements to have the baby here in Canada.

-Letter from my doula saying that I hired her to be there with me during birth and delivery.

I also called pre-clearance in Edmonton a few times and talked to the customs agents and they say it's really up to the agent when I show up whether they will let me through or not. I actually told one of them "so whether I get to spend time with the father of my child depends on what kind of day an agent is having?" and they kinda paused and said yes. They also said it looks like I have a lot more proof of my ties now than I did in March so I might be let through. In any case, all the agents I talked to on the phone were really nice and helpful so I don't think I'll have a problem. But I'll let you know. :-)

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Here is my story. Hope it helps people who was detained before coz I was and I successfully enter USA for the past long weekend.

I was detained and sent back to Vancouver on Oct 19, 2009 for the fact that I had no ties to Canada back then. I was unemployed and just came back from Hong Kong in June 2009. I was visiting my boyfriend and trying to cross the border at Peace Arch to catch a flight from Bellingham, WA coz it's much much cheaper to fly from within. I had no returned ticket coz I wanted to get a bargain on cheap flight; I had no intention to stay there forever and illegally. Anyways, I was sent back to Canada and barred from entering US for 6 months.

In April 2010 I finally get a job and 6 months has passed so I decided to try to enter USA again. This time I fly from YVR. CBP at YVR are nicer and more friendly. My flight was at 8am. I arrived YVR at 6am just to allow extra time for being grilled. The first CBP was nice and we chatted a bit. He asked standard questions like the reason for visit (visiting bf), if I have a job (yes), what do you do (I'm a cpa) etc. Then he asked me if I was sent to the 2nd room before and I said no, not this one. Then he said that he had to send me to the 2nd home even though he liked me :(

So I was sent to the 2nd room and an female CBP interviewed me. Same questions: where am i going? why? do I have a job? Do you have prove? I showed her my employment contract, my bank statement, pay stubs etc. I did have my NOA 2 letter ready but she did not ask for it. In fact, after she decided letting me go, she asked me if my boyfriend and I planning to get married. Then I told her not until our K-1 visa got approved. She seemed surprised and said that she liked people doing it the right way and hated sending back people to home. She wised me a wonderful trip and walked me to the exit.

Overall it was a pleasant experience. Oh she asked me for prove of returned ticket too. So just bring evidence of ties and you will be fine. I was detained before and I was absolutedly a big red flag for them but I still got through. I'm already planning my next trip on Canada Day :)

Good luck all VJers

Our AOS Journey started:

Nov 06, 2010: CS & CQ got married in Las Vegas

Nov 26, 2010: AOS-EAD-AP package sent out

Nov 29, 2010: Package delivered at 1:12pm

Dec 10, 2010: Received text messages from USCIS regarding receipt numbers for AOS, EAD, and AP

Dec 14, 2010: Received three I-797C from mail

Dec 18, 2010: Touched

Jan 05, 2011: Received RFE for I-485 (email)

Jan 10, 2011: Received RFE for I-485 (hardcopy)

Jan 11, 2011: Sent response to RFE for I-485 (Fedex/UPS do not deliver to PO Box. Only USPS does and it takes 2 days even for Express Post)

Jan 13, 2011: Response to RFE delivered

Jan 14, 2011: Touched

Jan 15, 2011: Touched

Jan 18, 2011: Received Biometric Appointment letter in mail

Jan 21, 2011: Biometric Appointment (Walk-in Successful)

Feb 10, 2011: Biometric Appointment (Originally Scheduled)

Feb 12, 2011: Received 1st text/email for EAD card in production and AP was APPROVED

Feb 17, 2011: Received 2nd text/email for EAD card in production

Feb 18, 2011: Received 3rd text/email for EAD card has been mailed out

Feb 18, 2011: Received AP!!!! YAY!!!!

Feb 22, 2011: Received EAD!!!!

Feb 22, 2011: Received letter for 2nd fingerprints :(

Mar 17, 2011: 2nd fingerprints

May 02, 2011: AOS Interview Approved!!!!!!

May 07, 2011: Received "Welcome to America" letter

May 09, 2011: Received Green Card. Yay!!!!!

as1cHvOuM2B0010MDA3MjM5cHN8NDUyOTY1c3xIYXBwaWx5IE1hcnJpZWQ.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.