Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,457 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Carl,

Thank you for posting this. So many people think that 'ties to the home country' is the quintessential requirement for entering the USA as a visitor. They overlook completely the equally important issue that is illustrated by the typical POE interview you report - why are you here and how long will you be staying.

'Show me your evidence of ties to home' is never among the first questions asked of a visitor, which should tell people something. If the questioning reaches the point of wanting to see evidence of ties, it's already too late - the immigration officer has already made up his mind and is just covering all the bases.

People need to concentrate more on the questions that they are going to be asked, and should plan to have a purpose for their visit which, having accomplished, they have no reason to remain in the USA. And a planned duration of stay that is consistent with the stated purpose.

Yodrak

Hi, just registered so I could relay my recent experience. Myself and my Fiancée are awaiting our NAO2 but I decided to risk a trip across to visit her. I flew out on the 2nd July from Manchester to Philadelphia and after reading this thread was quite hopeful of getting into the country, even so I took an envelope full of evidence with me just in case. I needn't have worried. The agent only asked me the following 3 questions;

1. The purpose of my visit? Business or pleasure.................pleasure.

2. Who I would be staying with in the USA?...................My Fiancée.

3. How long would I be staying for?....................A week.

The only other words he said where............"Have a nice trip"

I must admit I was prepared for a much tougher grilling but the guy and the one in the next line where great, they were laughing and joking with everybody waiting, even leaving their booths to share a joke.

I hope this helps ease the worries of anybody else thinking of taking a trip!

Carl

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

What do you think i should do:

i want to go see thomas for 2-3 weeks around sept. the thing is that my petition (hopefully!!) will be at the embassy in amsterdam then. i know i need to watch out for packets arriving and interview dates. but my question for now is, will it be the same deal as he last times i wend, show my ties. or will they really frown upon it. ive been 2 weeks in march, one week in june. does the fact that my petion moved to the embassy make any difference in vistiting?

hope my english makes sense, i had a hard day at work :)

ta!

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Hi all, just a quick question. I'm going to visit my fiancée in september and I just wanted to hear from the ones who visited their fiancée, while the application was pending, what did you tell the officer? Did you say you were coming to visit friends, your girlfriend/boyfriend or you fiancé? I'll be bringing proofs of tie to my home country but if I can avoid being taken to the "back room" using the proper words I'd be ok with that! So feel free to share and please only share if you actually visited.

Thanks,

Fred

K-1 Timeline

04/26/07 - I-129F sent

05/23/07 - NOA1

09/07/07 - NOA2

10/09/07 - NVC

10/20/07 - Packet 3

10/27/07 - Packet 4

11/07/07 - Medical

12/11/07 - Interview

12/25/07 - POE Chicago

AOS Timeline

01/18/08 - Wedding

01/24/08 - AOS Packet Sent

01/27/08 - NOAs for AOS, EAD, and AP

03/27/08 - AP Received

05/01/08 - EAD Received

08/06/08 - RFE for I-485

08/18/08 - Case Resumed

08/26/08 - Card Production Ordered (no interview)

08/29/08 - Welcome Letter Received

09/02/08 - Green Card Received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
Hi all, just a quick question. I'm going to visit my fiancée in september and I just wanted to hear from the ones who visited their fiancée, while the application was pending, what did you tell the officer? Did you say you were coming to visit friends, your girlfriend/boyfriend or you fiancé? I'll be bringing proofs of tie to my home country but if I can avoid being taken to the "back room" using the proper words I'd be ok with that! So feel free to share and please only share if you actually visited.

Thanks,

Fred

Hi Fred,

i wend twice. The first time we werent engaged yet, so i said boyfriend and the second time we were so i said fiance. i believe you should not withold that info as maybe the next question will show you are intending to marry. it would look suspicious. and its actually quite fine to go and see your fiance. make besides evidence, you do not take a whole load of luggage with you and prepare yourself with questions. good knowledge on the process will get you far.

good luck !

Marieke

Thanks,

Fred

I said that I was visiting my fiance and friends, and he asked how long I was visiting for. When I said two weeks, he asked to see "proof of a return ticket" so I gave him my itinerary for my flights. Then he asked what my fiance and I both did and wished me a good trip. :thumbs:

I've flown across three times now, and never had a problem with immigration - definitely bring proof of ties, but answer the questions honestly and it should be relatively painless.

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Thanks Michele. The wait for NOA2 is super LONG! What is wrong with a visit or 2 between the wait. We cannot make any marriage arrangements without knowing if she'll be approved or not. So having my "girlfriend" ;) visit the U.S. to plan for the future seems legitimate to me.

I agree MORE Experiences needed. If we do this we will post our experience. Thanks again Michelle :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Just been reading through this thread again, it is extremely helpful. Thanks everyone for sharing their experiences :thumbs:

I am flying into Washington DC (Dulles) on September 13th for a week. Has anyone had any experiences of flying here whilst the K1 is pending?

I have a letter from my employer, it also states on there that where I work is my permenant address and I pay weekly rent etc etc... Should I get my fiance to write a letter too do you think? Saying that I am going to be staying with him and what dates to and from? And I should probably print out some bank statements showing that I have regular money going into my account too huh? And I will have my return flight details.

I dont have a copy of the I-129F package as Chris has all of that in America! Should I ask him to send me a copy of the NOA1 or could I just print off the case status online?

I have never had any problems flying in before, but I haven't actually flown since we filed the K1... Before I used to say that I was visiting my Dad and some friends etc... Will this matter?

Am getting worried! Probably shouldn't be.... But I can't help it!

Thanks again!

Our K1 Journey

November 5th 2005 - ♥ Tash & Chris met ♥

June 11th 2007 - We posted the I129F :D

June 19th 2007 - USCIS received date

June 22nd 2007 - NOA1 received

November 16th 2007 - NOA2 - 156 days from filing

November 24th 2007 - Hard copy of NOA2 received

December 15th 2007 - Packet 3 received

January 18th 2008 - Packet 3 returned

February 13th 2008 - Packet 4 received

March 4th 2008 - Medical @ 1.00pm

March 5th 2008 - INTERVIEW @ 10.00am - APPROVED!!

March 11th 2008 - Visa received!

April 30th 2008 - Flying home at last!!!!! (POE: Dulles - Washington DC)

July 12th 2008 - Wedding date!

Now for AOS!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
Just been reading through this thread again, it is extremely helpful. Thanks everyone for sharing their experiences :thumbs:

I am flying into Washington DC (Dulles) on September 13th for a week. Has anyone had any experiences of flying here whilst the K1 is pending?

I have a letter from my employer, it also states on there that where I work is my permenant address and I pay weekly rent etc etc... Should I get my fiance to write a letter too do you think? Saying that I am going to be staying with him and what dates to and from? And I should probably print out some bank statements showing that I have regular money going into my account too huh? And I will have my return flight details.

I dont have a copy of the I-129F package as Chris has all of that in America! Should I ask him to send me a copy of the NOA1 or could I just print off the case status online?

I have never had any problems flying in before, but I haven't actually flown since we filed the K1... Before I used to say that I was visiting my Dad and some friends etc... Will this matter?

Am getting worried! Probably shouldn't be.... But I can't help it!

Thanks again!

I think you'll be fine. You could now say that you are visiting your fiance and your Dad. AS long as you haven't been spending lots of time in the US you shouldn't have any difficulty whatsoever.

Good luck!! (And, of course, have a wonderful trip!!)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

:D

Thank you.

I haven't spent an awful lot of time over there this year :( Just a week over New Year and a week in April. Sooo not enough. Last year was a different story though, I think I spent a total of just over 6 months there. But I don't think that will come into it though.. Hope not anyway.

They have let me through with no problems everytime but one. (When I flew last year into Philly, I was stopped and made to go to secondary inspection as I was back so soon after spending 3 months, but even that was only for half an hour tops.. Forgot about that one!)

Ok, so i'm beginning to ramble now! lol Just thinking outloud.

I should be ok this time. :D

Edited by toshtishtash

Our K1 Journey

November 5th 2005 - ♥ Tash & Chris met ♥

June 11th 2007 - We posted the I129F :D

June 19th 2007 - USCIS received date

June 22nd 2007 - NOA1 received

November 16th 2007 - NOA2 - 156 days from filing

November 24th 2007 - Hard copy of NOA2 received

December 15th 2007 - Packet 3 received

January 18th 2008 - Packet 3 returned

February 13th 2008 - Packet 4 received

March 4th 2008 - Medical @ 1.00pm

March 5th 2008 - INTERVIEW @ 10.00am - APPROVED!!

March 11th 2008 - Visa received!

April 30th 2008 - Flying home at last!!!!! (POE: Dulles - Washington DC)

July 12th 2008 - Wedding date!

Now for AOS!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
:D

Thank you.

I haven't spent an awful lot of time over there this year :( Just a week over New Year and a week in April. Sooo not enough. Last year was a different story though, I think I spent a total of just over 6 months there. But I don't think that will come into it though.. Hope not anyway.

They have let me through with no problems everytime but one. (When I flew last year into Philly, I was stopped and made to go to secondary inspection as I was back so soon after spending 3 months, but even that was only for half an hour tops.. Forgot about that one!)

Ok, so i'm beginning to ramble now! lol Just thinking outloud.

I should be ok this time. :D

Since your visits have been shorter and further apart I don't think you'll have a problem. Just be honest when answering questions. Just relax! Take a feng shui approach, or do yoga. They're bound to let you in! :lol:

Incidentally, my fiance was grilled horribly in May at Philly airport. Told him to get a Visa if he wants to visit again. Though we have finally started the K1 route, he still toys with trying to get a tourist Visa. I hate all this long distance stuff!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

wow soo many stories here give me so much hope that i might be able to visit my husband next spring. but im egyptian i feel like my luck is not going to be that good becoz of 9/11. yet im so willing to take the risk. experiencing this pain im going thru from being away from him wd make me do anything and try all options just to spend sometime with him. he left just ten days after our marraige and its the hardest thing i ever had to go thru. if anyone knows anything concerning middle easterns i wd really appreciate it:)

god bless and wish all the best.

lyrics.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Well, I thought I'd share my experience of visiting my fiance while having applied for a K1. Just so you know, I'm a French citizen and our NOA1 date is May 23rd (we're waiting and crossing our fingers to get our NOA2 very soon). I arrived yesterday in Chicago to stay with my fiance for 2 weeks. The line for immigration was really long. I had brought tons of proofs of ties to my home country (lease, bank statement letter from my employer, copy of the K1 application). So then I got to the officer. It was weird cause I had rehearsed my " I'm here to visit my fiance and some friends" which is the purpose of my visit but she asked:" why are you here today" and I don't know, in the moment i said: "It's my vacation" which is also true. I was expecting more questions but she stamped everything, no other questions were asked and she wished me a good trip.

So all this worrying for nothing, all these papers for nothing but like many said it's better to be prepared than sorry if something goes wrong...

I just thought I'd share this because we don't have many people sharing their own experience. There is too many: "I heard that a friend of my cousin's friend" blah blah blah.

At least you got something that happened yesterday and that I personally experienced :)

Of course that doesn't mean that everyone will be let in and I might come visit Kim again and there will be no guarantee that they'll let me in...

Fred

K-1 Timeline

04/26/07 - I-129F sent

05/23/07 - NOA1

09/07/07 - NOA2

10/09/07 - NVC

10/20/07 - Packet 3

10/27/07 - Packet 4

11/07/07 - Medical

12/11/07 - Interview

12/25/07 - POE Chicago

AOS Timeline

01/18/08 - Wedding

01/24/08 - AOS Packet Sent

01/27/08 - NOAs for AOS, EAD, and AP

03/27/08 - AP Received

05/01/08 - EAD Received

08/06/08 - RFE for I-485

08/18/08 - Case Resumed

08/26/08 - Card Production Ordered (no interview)

08/29/08 - Welcome Letter Received

09/02/08 - Green Card Received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I've visited the states tons of time, on short work visas and on VWP to visit friends and my boyfriend

My boyfriend is now my fiance and I'm visiting for week in about 3 weeks time.

Its my first time to the states in over 2 years.

The day after I leave we're going to file our I129F and I won't be back until the wedding.

I always travel with proof of employment and bank balance anyway.

So this time should I say "Going to visit friends", not mention my fiance and pass through easily or will that come back and bite us in the ### during the interview processes?

Thanks all

K-1 Application

================

2nd October 2007 - I-129F sent to CSC

10th October 2007 - NOA1 issued

31st January 2008 - NOA2 issued

22nd May 2008 - Interview date

18th July 2008 - US here I come

22nd August 2008 - Wedding date

AOS

================

15th September 2008 - AOS Pack (I485, I131, I765) Sent

22nd September 2008 - NOA1 x 3 Received

6th October 2008 - Transferred to CSC

17th October 2008 - Biometrics

5th December 2008 - EAD & AP approved

20th February 2008 - GC approved

I-751

================

1st December 2010 - I-751 Sent (CSC)

3rd December 2010 - I-751 Received

7th December 2010 - Cheque cashed

3rd January 2011 - Biometrics

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Panama
Timeline

Quick question:

has anyone had ANY experiencewhere their forgein fiance arrives to Miami from Central America (Panama)?

I know the immigration/customs ppl there can be real hardasses (pardon my french) because everytime I come back from PTY they grill me before entering and I'm the US citizen! anyways any input would be greatly appreciated ;)

AOS:

August 8, 2008: We're married!! (both the ceremony and legal wedding)

September 11, 2008: Got the marriage certificate in the mail!! 

September 20, 2008: Sent AOS packet (I-485, EAD, AP)

September 22, 2008: USPS confirmed delivery at LockBox

September 26, 2008: Check Cashed!! :)

September 25, 2008: Recv'd date on all NOA's 

September 30, 2008: Received all 3 NOA's: I-485, EAD, AP

Ocotber 10, 2008: RFE for I-485 (needed proof of citizenship for sponsor) :S

October 21, 2008: Biometrics @12 pm in Ft. Lauderdale~over and done with in 5min!!~

October 22, 2008: documents for RFE sent via Priority Mail

October 24, 2008: documents received at MO

November 6, 2008: Case transferred to CSC :D

December 10, 2008: EAD approved!! Card production ordered!

Dec. 15, 2008: Rec'd EAD and AP via mail.

March 2, 2009: AOS Approved

March 9, 2009: Green Card Received!!!

March 24, 2020: N400 submitted (online)

January 2021: notice stating no new Biometrics needed

April 15, 2022: Notice to Appear for interview and exam

June 4, 2022: Interview/Exam Day! 🥳

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.