Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,457 posts in this topic

I'm sure all the vets on this board are tired of this daily question, but keep in mind that dozens of people are just starting this process every day, and the "can I visit while the application is pending?" question is one, if not the, most pressing matters to most of them.

Information about this is all over this site, but scattered. I for one am a person who likes to hear personal experiences too, so I can make a decision based on what others in my similar situation have gone through.

The answer is yes, visits are allowed. But whether you will actually be admitted lies entirely in the hands of the officer questioning you upon entry. And face it, hearing you've got a sweetheart you're intending to/have married waiting for you in the US is going to set off a "he/she is just going to stay here forever" bell to that officer. It's your job to convince that officer that you have a life back in your home country that you fully intend, and will, go back to.

Anyway, I'm hoping people will post their experiences visiting the USC before and during the visa journey. I'm sure that all of us do visit legally, and do leave when we're supposed to. So, is there anything that worked for you? Hindered you? If you were ever denied, why? Were you able to remedy the situation and try again?

Going through customs can make your stomach turn, and make you feel like a criminal even though you've done nothing wrong. So, let's try to calm each other down and tell each other our experiences. I think we'll find that most of us are admitted (albeit with a little hassle, perhaps).

Vets, maybe this will cut down on having to answer the question 5 times a day!

Michele

I'm sure all the vets on this board are tired of this daily question, but keep in mind that dozens of people are just starting this process every day, and the "can I visit while the application is pending?" question is one, if not the, most pressing matters to most of them.

Information about this is all over this site, but scattered. I for one am a person who likes to hear personal experiences too, so I can make a decision based on what others in my similar situation have gone through.

The answer is yes, visits are allowed. But whether you will actually be admitted lies entirely in the hands of the officer questioning you upon entry. And face it, hearing you've got a sweetheart you're intending to/have married waiting for you in the US is going to set off a "he/she is just going to stay here forever" bell to that officer. It's your job to convince that officer that you have a life back in your home country that you fully intend, and will, go back to.

Anyway, I'm hoping people will post their experiences visiting the USC before and during the visa journey. I'm sure that all of us do visit legally, and do leave when we're supposed to. So, is there anything that worked for you? Hindered you? If you were ever denied, why? Were you able to remedy the situation and try again?

Going through customs can make your stomach turn, and make you feel like a criminal even though you've done nothing wrong. So, let's try to calm each other down and tell each other our experiences. I think we'll find that most of us are admitted (albeit with a little hassle, perhaps).

Vets, maybe this will cut down on having to answer the question 5 times a day!

Michele

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

Hi!

I am visiting now (with a VWP) my fiance in Houston and thanks to this forum I travelled with those documents to be sure they let me in at POE:

- a copy of my employee contract

- a letter form the HR to attest I am on Holidays and they expect my return at work on January the 3rd

- a letter from my bank saying I have an open bank account that is running properly with a monthly permanent order for my rent

- a letter from my landlord that certifies I rent one of her apartments...

- a letter from my insurance company that lists all my insurances as car, health...

- a copy of NOA1 and the application we sent

Even with all those documents with me I was scared to death they will deny me at the airport because of all bad stories I read... and because all together I have been here 4 months in total this year...

The person before me in the queue has been asked to follow an officer to another room for further questions and the guy held her passport in a yellow envelope... my hart was beating so hard and I was praying not to be asked to follow the same officer too but it went so well!

I was asked the purpose of my visit. I said: to visit my fiance.

Then he asked me how long I am going to stay: 3 weeks.

And last question: when was the last time I came in? May.

That was it!

I am so happy to be back here and spend the Christmas holidays with my love... it is so good to see him again!

I really hope it will be that easy for anybody who decides to visit his/her love during the K1 process... It worth it!

I-129F Timeline

08/16/2007 - I-129F sent to Vermont Service Center

08/20/2007 - NOA1

08/22/2007 - Touch

08/27/2007 - Touch

08/28/2007 - Touch

01/04/2008 - Touch

01/04/2008 - NOA2 (email received on 01/06/2008)

01/07/2008 - Touch

01/10/2008 - NOA2 Hard copy received

01/11/2008 - NVC sent our application to the US Embassy in Brusssels

01/14/2008 - NOA2 from NVC received in mail

01/17/2008 - Packet 3 sent

01/18/2008 - Packet 3 received

01/18/2008 - Packet 3 sent back to Embassy

01/22/2008 - Medical Interview

01/22/2008 - Packet 4 received

01/29/2008 - Interview at the Embassy, VISA APPROVED

01/31/2008 - Reception of the Visa

02/10/2008 - POE Houston

02/14/2008 - WEDDING!

AOS

02/20/2008 - Sent AOS application

02/26/2008 - NOA1

03/14/2008 - AOS transfered to California Service Center

03/21/2008 - Biometrics appointment

03/21/2008 - I-765 Touched

03/25/2008 - I-485 Touched

04/02/2007 - Biometrics appointment AGAIN (as FBI was not able to process with my fingerprints card, was scheduled on the 04/17 but showed up earlier)

04/04/2008 - I-485 Touched

04/24/2008 - I-131 Touched... Finally I can track my case status online!

04/24/2008 - I-765 Approved

04/28/2008 - I-131 ARRIVED IN MAIL!!!!!

04/28/2008 - I-765 Card Production Ordered

05/03/2008 - I-765 Card received in mail

06/02/2008 - I-485 Card Production ordered

06/07/2008 - Welcome to the USA letter in mail

06/09/2008 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED IN MAIL !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I need some good advice..

I was denied entry from the border twice at the beginning of the month due to my own sheer stupidity - my hubby tried to drive me back to the US with him and we truly didn't know that I couldn't move there and THEN apply for a visa. Stupid, I realize that now, but I don't like to dwell on that.

Our "fake" wedding for the family is at the end of March; the first border told us that I couldn't move down, but if I wanted to visit, I could. They said they would turn me around, but that I could try another border. We tried another border and got rejected..again.

We will be applying for a K-3 or CR-1 shortly, but we had already made arrangements for our wedding - people had booked flights and booked time off of work, so I desperately want to keep the date. If I go as a visitor and bring as much documentation possible, what are my chances? I think my biggest disadvantage is that I've been turned around twice.

Also, when I get questioned, should I tell them that I'm going to visit my husband, or just say my fiance, since I'm going there for the wedding anyway?? I feel like saying "husband" over "fiance" will make them even MORE suspicous..

The documents I will bring are:

- letter from an employer w/most recent pay stub

- letter from the bank confirming my active account w/most recent bank statement

- most recent phone bill

- return ticket

- letter from parents stating that I live at home and that my personal goods are still there

- receipts from booking hotel rooms for our guests, receipt for our reception venue, honeymoon itinerary

As previously mentioned, we haven't applied for a visa yet - should I wait until I get back to do so, or apply now and potentially not even have documentation to show them?

My parents will be driving down to the States for the wedding and will have the dress with them - will that be a problem for them? I will be flying solo for two reasons: 1) I want to get there a few days earlier to help him clean for our company and make any last minute wedding arrangements, and 2) we secretly eloped last year, and if I was questioned by customs with my family around, they might find out that we're married :(

It's a really complicated situation...not due to bad intentions on our part, but more due to impulsive emotional decisions and straight out carelessness overtaking logic and common sense. I'm trying to rectify this situation and am becoming more and more agitated - any words of advice??? :(

I'm not looking for judgement, just support - you all seem to be so great to each other and I could really use that right now...

Thanks so much,

Melissa

Hi, great post and lots of valid information.

Here is were I stand.

Me and my girlfriend (I am the Uk citizen and she is the US citizen)met in June 2007. She saw a video I posted on youtube and commented. It started from there really. We exchanged e-mails and began to chat on msn all the time.

On the 10th of July, I visited her for the first time. At this point we were not in a relationship, just wanted to meet.

Immigration at Chicago O'Hare - I was asked the reason for my visit and replied "To visit a friend" asked how I knew this person I said "Over the internet". This then caused more questions and a second lady to come over. After some funny looks and a few questions about length of stay (one month) and about my finances I was let through.

I returned on the 8th August.

My second visit is on the 15th of October 2007. By this point we are now in a relationship.

Immigration at Chicago O'Hare - Again, asked for the purpose of my visit, I said to visit my girlfriend. Then asked how long my stay was (88 days). He then asked what my girlfriend did -

It's at this point I must explain that I am 22 and my girlfriend is 17.

I said she is 17 so is still in schooling. He then changed and kicked up about statutory rape, 5 years in prison and how American prisons are much harsher than UK ones. I am shocked at this point, this never even crossed my mind. In UK the age of consent is 16, but America differs from state. So I am really scared now. He asks to see my itinerary and it shows im flying on to Minnesota and returning in 88 days. He then says, "I'll tell you what, i'm gonna let you in, but i'll give you one piece of advice. If I were you, i'd turn back now and go home. I stood there dazed and confused, but I walked on and entered the US.

Upon arriving at my final destination I looked up the laws for Minnesota and saw that the age of consent is 16. I'm still confused by it all but enjoyed my winter in Minnesota and returned to the UK, with my girlfriend (her first ever time outside of the U.S) on the 10th of January.

May I add, her entry in to the UK was hassle free.

Our plans were for me to come back to the US in April for 6 months under the B2 tourist visa. I had my interview for it on the 13th of February at 13:30 and was denied under section 214(B), that they believed I had no reason to return to the UK. Not enough social and economic ties.

That sucks...

So, there's my experience so far. My question to anyone in the know is - do you think my being denied a visa will affect any future visa's and visits to the US. I intend to go to the US in the summer under the Visa Waiver program, do you think i'll have any problems?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and respond.

Cheers

Luke

us_uk_flag-1.jpg

Our Timeline...
06-03-2007. Met Online
07-09-2007. Met in Person in the US
07-04-2008. WE GOT ENGAGED!!!

I-129F Timeline...

12-15-2008. Sent I-129F Petition to CSC
12-18-2008. NOA1. Money order cashed
05-22-2009. NOA2 APPROVED!
09-16-2009. Medical
09-28-2009. Interview. APPROVED!!!
10-06-2009. Visa received
10-10-2009. U.S. Entry
11-07-2009. Wedding

AOS Timeline...
11-30-2009. Sent AOS
12-07-2009. NOA1
01-07-2010. Biometrics appointment
01-12-2010. Transferred to CSC
02-17-2010. I-485 Card Production Ordered & Welcome Notice Sent
02-26-2010. GREEN CARD ARRIVED!!!

ROC Timeline...
12-28-2011. Sent ROC
12-29-2011. NOA1
02-15-2012. Biometrics appointment (Walk in on 01-26-2012)
06-06-2012. ROC APPROVED!!!
06-19-2012. 10 YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED!!!

Citizenship Timeline...
11-27-2012. Sent N-400
11-29-2012. NOA1
12-28-2012. Biometrics appointment
01-11-2013. In line for interview
01-28-2013. Notice of Interview Scheduled (Letter in mailbox 02-01-3013)
03-01-2013. Interview
05-08-2013. OATH DATE!
IM A CITIZEN!!!

Hey there,

I want to share my experience of visiting the US after filing the I-129F petion with you.

We filed our petition in late November of 2007, and haven't gotten our NOA2 yet. However, Valentine's Day was coming up, so I decided to go on a short visit to Houston and surprise my Sweetie.

I planned to proceed as everyone here recommended, just saying "vacation" when being asked for the purpose of my stay, and not providing more information than being asked for. This plan was destroyed with the Immigration Officer's first question :blush:

"Who are you visiting ?" was her question, after she noticed that I provided a private address on the I-94W form. So I had to come up with the truth and answered "My fiancee, it's a Valentine's surprise visit".

She asked a few questions about my fiancee, until she finally realized that it's a US citizen I'm getting married to. "Why doesn't she petition for you?" was her first question after that, and I told her that we're in the process of getting the visa. She went through my passport and probably noticed all the immigration stamps I have in it. She asked "How long do you usually stay on your visits?", and I told the truth, between 1 and 3 weeks per stay, because my job doesn't allow me to stay away any longer. Just one more question about what I'm bringing for Valentine's Day, chocolate or whatsoever, and then she smiled to me and said "That's a lovely idea, you two enjoy the time together".

I felt she grilled me a little once she got the information that I'm visiting my fiancee in the US. Plus, I heard questions I've never been asked before, and missed questions I've always been asked (e.g. "How long are you gonna stay?"). But, and that might be important to all of you, with honest answers to all of her questions I didn't have any problems at all. I had a copy of the I-129F package with me as well as a copy of the NOA1, but was never asked for it. It was a 5-minute question-and-answer marathon, that felt like an hour :lol:

Now that I'm back in Germany (I just stayed for one week), I'm MUCH more relaxed about my upcoming trip in 4 weeks. Sure enough I will take home ties and the I-129F package, but I think the pattern of my visits and answering all questions honestly will help a lot to not getting rejected.

So don't hesitate, you CAN visit !

Daniel

• 10 months later...
Timeline

Eeek! Now Im nervous about my upcoming trip to see my boyfriend in March!

Here's my situation... its a doozey :wacko:

My ex-husband and I have been living under the same roof for a while. Ive always been a stay at home Mom, and Ive just lived in a seperate room, doing my own thing... and taking care of the children during the day. Its worked for us, for me to save $$ for when I move out (we've been seperated for 10 months). He doesnt pay any child support, since we all live under the same roof, and he pays the mortgage/bills/food. I live off of $350 I get a month, from the government just for my own little expenses.

Anyhow, a couple of weeks ago he got arrested, and charged, and theres a restraining order on him right now from coming close to the house. So obviously, he does not live here. However, as part of the "child support", he pays the mortgage and the household bills (electric/phone/cable) and buys the groceries for the kids to eat. So since Im a stay at home mom, I obviously dont pay rent, since hes covering that instead of paying me child support.

So, I got NO job (since I watch my kids), and I got NO lease/rent, since my ex pays for it :unsure:

In March, Im planning on going to visit my boyfriend for about 3 weeks, hes coming back from an oversea's tour with the military, and getting out of the military at the time. And then looking for a full time job. And same with me, when I leave to go visit, when I get back, Ill be looking for a job for me too , to get on my feet. Thats why were visiting now, after not seeing eachother for a few months, and knowing when we both get our jobs around the same time, our jobs wont give us the time off for vacation time to visit eachother.

Were not planning on getting married till November anyways.. but still.. this is nerve wracking.

The last two times I crossed to go visit him they were pretty easy

Early Nov 2008 - POE - Pearson Airport in Toronto ... asked 1) where I was going 2) who was I visiting.. I said friends (was going to see friends and my bf), and 3) how long was I going to be. Told him a week. He said have a great trip, stamped my passport and that was it.

End Nov 2008 - different POE since I had a different flight interary ... 1) where are you going 2) why are you going so close since your last visit 3) who are you visiting 4) what are you doing there 5) whats your job back home 6) whats your marital status 7) whos watching your kids 8) where are you staying 9) how are you paying for your trip (answer was credit card lol). 10) do you pay rent.. I said no, i lived with my exhusband and he paid it in leiu of child support. After that drilling, she stamped me and passed me through.

Each of those two times though I didnt have my return ticket on me. Just my confirmation # , since I ordered them online and never printed them.

But now , I'll for sure print my intenerary. And Ill bring my custody papers. I really hope thats enough. I highly doubt my ex will write a letter for me stating I live in this house and that Ill be back on so-and-so date... especially with that restraining order placed on him by the police.

So, Im at a loss. I really dont know what else I can gather other then my confirmation print out of my itenerary, and my custody papers.

Were thinking of going on a cruise, so Im hoping that if I print out proof of a 5 day cruise might help too?

Sarinha

First met March 2007, playing an MMORPG (ffxi)

Getting married Feb 12 2010

Will start our VJ Feb 2010

2c61618b8b94d52d.gif

I-130 Journey - VSC CR1 & CR2

02-xx-10 -I-130 sent

xx-xx-10- I-130 NOA1

xx-xx-xx- I-130 NOA2

- Total Days from NOA 1 to NOA2 xxx

I-129F Journey - VSC K3 & K4

xx-xx-xx I-130 Received @ NVC

xx-xx-xx Case Completed at NVC :

xx-xx-xx NVC Left:

- Total Days from NOA1 to NVC Complete xx

- Total Days @ NVC xx

Consulate

xx-xx-xx Received at Consulate

xx-xx-xx Medical Date

xx-xx-xx Interview Date [ ] Pass [ ] Fail

- Total Days from Recd at Consulate to Interview xxx

- Total Days from NOA1 to Interview xxx

Eeek! Now Im nervous about my upcoming trip to see my boyfriend in March!

Here's my situation... its a doozey :wacko:

My ex-husband and I have been living under the same roof for a while. Ive always been a stay at home Mom, and Ive just lived in a seperate room, doing my own thing... and taking care of the children during the day. Its worked for us, for me to save $$ for when I move out (we've been seperated for 10 months). He doesnt pay any child support, since we all live under the same roof, and he pays the mortgage/bills/food. I live off of $350 I get a month, from the government just for my own little expenses.

Anyhow, a couple of weeks ago he got arrested, and charged, and theres a restraining order on him right now from coming close to the house. So obviously, he does not live here. However, as part of the "child support", he pays the mortgage and the household bills (electric/phone/cable) and buys the groceries for the kids to eat. So since Im a stay at home mom, I obviously dont pay rent, since hes covering that instead of paying me child support.

So, I got NO job (since I watch my kids), and I got NO lease/rent, since my ex pays for it :unsure:

In March, Im planning on going to visit my boyfriend for about 3 weeks, hes coming back from an oversea's tour with the military, and getting out of the military at the time. And then looking for a full time job. And same with me, when I leave to go visit, when I get back, Ill be looking for a job for me too , to get on my feet. Thats why were visiting now, after not seeing eachother for a few months, and knowing when we both get our jobs around the same time, our jobs wont give us the time off for vacation time to visit eachother.

Were not planning on getting married till November anyways.. but still.. this is nerve wracking.

The last two times I crossed to go visit him they were pretty easy

Early Nov 2008 - POE - Pearson Airport in Toronto ... asked 1) where I was going 2) who was I visiting.. I said friends (was going to see friends and my bf), and 3) how long was I going to be. Told him a week. He said have a great trip, stamped my passport and that was it.

End Nov 2008 - different POE since I had a different flight interary ... 1) where are you going 2) why are you going so close since your last visit 3) who are you visiting 4) what are you doing there 5) whats your job back home 6) whats your marital status 7) whos watching your kids 8) where are you staying 9) how are you paying for your trip (answer was credit card lol). 10) do you pay rent.. I said no, i lived with my exhusband and he paid it in leiu of child support. After that drilling, she stamped me and passed me through.

Each of those two times though I didnt have my return ticket on me. Just my confirmation # , since I ordered them online and never printed them.

But now , I'll for sure print my intenerary. And Ill bring my custody papers. I really hope thats enough. I highly doubt my ex will write a letter for me stating I live in this house and that Ill be back on so-and-so date... especially with that restraining order placed on him by the police.

So, Im at a loss. I really dont know what else I can gather other then my confirmation print out of my itenerary, and my custody papers.

Were thinking of going on a cruise, so Im hoping that if I print out proof of a 5 day cruise might help too?

I don't know if you have to say anything other than you're going on a cruise. Bring the cruise booking sheet, your itinerary, and you should have no problem.

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

thanks! Then if they ask who else is going, I just say my boyfriend?

Basically the whole 'only answer what is asked' thing, right?

Sarinha

First met March 2007, playing an MMORPG (ffxi)

Getting married Feb 12 2010

Will start our VJ Feb 2010

2c61618b8b94d52d.gif

I-130 Journey - VSC CR1 & CR2

02-xx-10 -I-130 sent

xx-xx-10- I-130 NOA1

xx-xx-xx- I-130 NOA2

- Total Days from NOA 1 to NOA2 xxx

I-129F Journey - VSC K3 & K4

xx-xx-xx I-130 Received @ NVC

xx-xx-xx Case Completed at NVC :

xx-xx-xx NVC Left:

- Total Days from NOA1 to NVC Complete xx

- Total Days @ NVC xx

Consulate

xx-xx-xx Received at Consulate

xx-xx-xx Medical Date

xx-xx-xx Interview Date [ ] Pass [ ] Fail

- Total Days from Recd at Consulate to Interview xxx

- Total Days from NOA1 to Interview xxx

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

This webpage is a great source of knowledge. I am so happy I found it. I am starting to put things together for an I-129F myself for my fiance in Japan. She is very worried that they will not allow her into the US because she stayed for 3months under VWP after leaving in August of '08. I want her to stay again for 3months before we do paper work. Do you think it would be safe for her to try for another 3months starting in Feb 09?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

After Jan 12 she will need to register her travels with ESTA because she is travelling on the VWP.

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel...tt/esta_faq.pdf

Effective Jan. 12, 2009, citizens or nationals from all VWP countries will be required to obtain an approved travel authorization via ESTA™ in order to be eligible to travel to the United States under the VWP.

She should be all set but again, it's ultimately up to POE officer.

timeline.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
After Jan 12 she will need to register her travels with ESTA because she is travelling on the VWP.

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel...tt/esta_faq.pdf

Effective Jan. 12, 2009, citizens or nationals from all VWP countries will be required to obtain an approved travel authorization via ESTA™ in order to be eligible to travel to the United States under the VWP.

She should be all set but again, it's ultimately up to POE officer.

Which is a piece of cake to fill out, I just did mine yesterday.

I have a bit of info which people might find useful. From experience I have found that you are likely to get more questions at POE if you are visiting some remote area in the US rather than a well known city or town which sees a lot of tourists. I think it opens up questioning along the line of if your not touristing, what are you doing?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Well she would be visiting me. I heard that you can only spend 180days a year in the USA under the Visa Waiver Program. So I would think it is safe for her to spend 90days again being it has been half a year since her last visit (which was her first btw)

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Well she would be visiting me. I heard that you can only spend 180days a year in the USA under the Visa Waiver Program. So I would think it is safe for her to spend 90days again being it has been half a year since her last visit (which was her first btw)

There's no set amount of time, granted you should probably spend more time in your home country than the US. Ultimately it's up to the officer at POE what they see is as acceptable.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.