Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,457 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Here's my little share.

I arrived in Delaware a few days ago, we have not submitted our visa request yet but I wanted to take this opportunity to ask the custom agent if yes or no I could visit once we started the K1 process.

Firstly that agent was very lazy and didn't ask me the usual annoying questions!

"So are you on a visit? Are you visiting friends?

- No, I'm visiting my boyfriend and friends.

- Ok, so you're visiting friends.

- Well yes. But sir, I have a question. So I'm visiting my boy friend and we're going to start K1 visa process.

(I did a big silence here, waiting for the ''When do you plan to marry him?" question or something similar but absolutly nothing came...)

So I want to know if once we started that process will I still be able to visit ?

- Oh you're under K1 process? No, no, don't worry, everything is ok.

- Noooooe, we're not there yet, but in the future, once we submitted it, will I still be able to come visit?

- Yes, all you need is a return ticket...

- That's it, you're sure?

- Yes.''

I felt like shaking him like a banana tree ''Where are my tricky questions about my mariage you fake agent, you can't be real!" but I decided I should better stop and go on...

That happened in Philadelphia airport.

Last significant immigration event:

ROC: Approved : 04/17/2013

USCIS works in mysterious ways...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Thanks for the response. Its not very encouraging but its helpful :) i guess i'll just wait. :clock:

~K1 visa journey~

04/10/2009 - I-129 Filed at VSC

04/29/2009 - NOA1

05/01/2009 - touch

09/03/2009 - touch

09/03/2009 - OMG NOA2 !!!!

09/09/2009 - Received at NVC

09/14/2009 - Case left NVC

09/16/2009 - Embassy received the papers

09/17/2009 - Packet 3 sent to Desi

09/25/2009 - Packet 3 received :)))

10/19/2009 - Medical exam

10/20/2009 - Interview - successfully passed:) woohooo :))))

10/23/2009 - Visa received

31/10/2009 - Entered USA

03/11/2009 - Wedding day :))

~AOS journey~

11/24/2009 - Papers sent

11/30/2009 - papers received

12/04/2009 - NOA1

12/10/2009 - Check cashed

12/24/2009 - Biometrics appointment

12/28/2009 - RFE received and sent out the same day

01/15/2010 - Case transferred to CSC

01/26/2010 - AP and EAD approved

02/01/2010 - AP received

06/18/2010 - Service request

06/21/2010 - Touch

06/24/2010 - Green Card production ordered wooohoooooo :))

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Great thread! Thank you very much! Wish there were experiences from people who need a tourist visa (ie: Russians), but if we decide to take the leap I will post from our experience. We are thinking of having her visit in September, about the midway point of our K1 process. Hoping her having property and a son back in Russia, plus return ticket will be enough to convince them to let her in. Why would we jeopardize our K1 by doing something stupid like having her stay here illegally?!

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Moscow, Russia

I-129F Sent : 2009-07-09

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-07-13

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-10-02

Pkg Rec. By NVC : 2009-10-07

Pkg Left NVC : 2009-10-09

Rec by Moscow : 2009-10-13

Packet 3 Sent : Never Received

Interview Date : 2009-11-20 PASS!

POE : 2009-11-29

WEDDING : 2009-12-26!

Great thread! Thank you very much! Wish there were experiences from people who need a tourist visa (ie: Russians), but if we decide to take the leap I will post from our experience. We are thinking of having her visit in September, about the midway point of our K1 process. Hoping her having property and a son back in Russia, plus return ticket will be enough to convince them to let her in. Why would we jeopardize our K1 by doing something stupid like having her stay here illegally?!

I would appear that there are lots of people from Russia that can't get a tourist visa, and others that can. Perhaps the Russia forum could best help you in that regard. If she's not admitted to the US, she'll be turned back, and it will NOT affect your K-1 process. Having a return ticket is not enough at all to convince anyone that they'll return to their home country because a return ticket can be cancelled. It's good to show I guess if she has everything else to show her ties to her home country. Is she working? Bringing a letter from her employer would be the best evidence of return.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I have visited whilst on the process and actually found it easier once I had started the process than when I had not.

Before I started, we were engaged, but when I said i was visiting my fiancee and her family for thanks giving the guy got really assy, and questioned everything about us. He even called over other officers to stand by me while he questioned me. I was quite worried really and it was very intimidating.

The second time i was actually in the k1 process. I took along a copy of my I-129f receipt but they didnt actually look at that. Basically I went up to the booth, they took prints and a photo as normal, asked about my trip, I said i was visiting my fiancee until such an such date and the leaving then. While he was stamping my passport to say I was in ok he said how long had we been together and i told him that and explained to him i was in the k1 process and he respected me for doing it the legal way, and told me that his daughter had actually moved to the UK!

And in to the USA I went!

Our Timeline:

4.2006 Met online.

3.26.2008 Became official.

5.14-7.2.2008 Ash's visits Texas. First time we met :D <3<3<3

8.6-28.2008 Haley's first visit to England!

8.13.2008 Meeting with immigration lawyer in London.

11.12-12.2-2008 Ash's visits Texas for Thanksgiving (12.1 Ash proposes!)

12.26.2008-1.13.2009 Haley visits England again, Ash comes back to Texas, too.

1.28.2009 Ash goes back to England :(

2.9.2009 We started I-129F forms!!

2.23.2009 Mailed I-129F =)

2.25.2009 I-129 arrived at VSC

2.26.2009 NOA1

3.2.2009 Check cashed!

3.3.2009 Touched

5.14.2009 Ash visits Texas

6.23.2009 Ash goes back to England, hoping for an NOA2 soon!!

7.15.2009 NOA2 EMAIL!!

7.20.2009 NVC received petition

7.20.2009 Petition sent to London (wow, same day!)

7.21.2009 NOA2 hardcopy received

7.27.2009 Embassy received petition

7.30.2009 Ash got packet 3 :)

8.5.2009-8.24.2009 Haley visits England a third time.

8.27.2009 Packet 3 sent!

9.19.2009 Packet 4 received!!

10.15.2009 Ash's medical

10.20.2009 Haley arrives in England :3

10.22.2009 Interview - Approved! :D

10.30.2009 Visa received

11.16.2009 Ash arrives in Texas!

01.08.2010 Married!

Timeline

So, I actually called the Immigration office at the O'Hare airport and spoke to an immigration officer who was very helpful. I explained my case and my concern about being turned away. She said of course ANYONE can be turned away for a variety of reasons BUT if there is concern and documents (which everyone here has already mentioned) can be provided to show ties to her home country, there should be no problem even if she is Russian. She said this is no guarantee, its always up to the officer at the desk but again, have the documents.

So based on that I think we're going for it. I think its worth the risk because we have all the proof, especially that her 8 year old son will be staying at home with her father.

So I decided to go visit my fiancé after all, and will be doing so for 3 weeks starting 08/21 :)

Of course I'm a bit nervous about being denied entry.

I think I'll just be honest and say I'm here to spend 3 weeks with my fiancé.

I'll bring copy of the NoA1 for proof and a letter from my work if they agree.

About that employer letter, is there an example somewhere?

It would prove very handy :) I have a rough idea on what to say but wouldn't mind some input.

Thank you all :)

I-751 package sent : 03/30/2012

I-751 receipt date : 04/03/2012

Filed: Timeline

Here is my little experience:

I was in the US visiting my fiance for a week last week. My lawyer adivced me to fly to JFK. In general, immigration officer at JFK is easier than Newark.

I prepared all the docs. At the arrival, I was still a little bit nervous. I had a walk around all the windows and observed each officer. I found an officer smiled to each of the visitors and seemed very easy going. Therefore, I went to her window.

She asked me the reason, I answered to visit my fiance. She smiled and asked me how long to stay. I said one week. Then she asked me when to get married. I said we were applying finace visa and plan to get married end of this year. She smiled again and let me in.

I think as far as you prepared everything and be confidence, you will be fine to enter.

Good luck to everyone!

Timeline
Here is my little experience:

I was in the US visiting my fiance for a week last week. My lawyer adivced me to fly to JFK. In general, immigration officer at JFK is easier than Newark.

I prepared all the docs. At the arrival, I was still a little bit nervous. I had a walk around all the windows and observed each officer. I found an officer smiled to each of the visitors and seemed very easy going. Therefore, I went to her window.

She asked me the reason, I answered to visit my fiance. She smiled and asked me how long to stay. I said one week. Then she asked me when to get married. I said we were applying finace visa and plan to get married end of this year. She smiled again and let me in.

I think as far as you prepared everything and be confidence, you will be fine to enter.

Good luck to everyone!

Good news, glad you got to visit... congratulations!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

So my SO is set to arrive at JFK next week. I'm pretty nervous. She has proof of ownership of her apartment in her city and proof of having a new car there, plus her folks and friends will write a letter stating that they expect her to return within 3 weeks and she will have a return ticket of course. Only problem is now because of the economic crisis in Russia she has lost her job in the last few weeks and I hope this will not be a problem. I sent her a copy of our NoA1 and a copy of our I-129F and G-325A forms.

I'm hoping she has no problem she was just here about 3 months ago (before we filed) and she was just asked for an itinerary, return ticket, and if she would be staying at a hotel or private residence and they gave her a 6 months stamp. I am praying that all goes as smooth this time. This is going to be the longest week ever.

I will post our experience when I get back from NYC and I'm back in Charleston. Hopefully it will be a good one and encourage others to visit during this process.

K-1,VSC, Moscow Consulate

I-129F sent:2009-06-04

NOA1: 2009-06-09

NOA2: 2009-09-16

NVC Received: 2009-09-17

NVC Left: 2009-09-22

Consulate Received: 2009-09-25

Medical: IOM, Moscow, 2009-12-07

Interview: 2009-12-08

Visa Received: 2009-12-14

Arrival to USA: 2010-01-15

Marriage: 2010-03-27

AOS, EAD, AP

CIS Office: Charleston, SC

Filed AOS Package: 2010-05-26

NOA: 2010-06-04

Bio Appt: 2010-07-09

AOS Transfer to CSC: 2010-06-30

EAD Card Production Order: 2010-08-04

AP Received: 2010-08-09

ROC

I-751 sent: 2012-7-11

NOA-1: 2012-8-1

Bio-Appointment: 2012-9-19

• 5 months later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hi,

I want to share my experience with you. We got married in october, and my wife almost immediately left to start her new job in Los Angeles. Of course we started gathering our information for the K3 filing. Because I had a lot more holiday days and in need of good weather, we decided I should be the one coming over. Not seeing each other for half a year was no option for us...I was however aware of the risks thanks to this forum and other sources, and it did take a while before we really said : lets do it!.

I booked a direct flight Paris - Los Angeles, just before xmas.

I had the following documents with me:

- last paycheck (in french)

- letter from landlord stating that i had not given notice up till then (french and english)

- last two appartment rent slips (french)

- last two bank statements (french)

- signed holiday demand from work (in french) + my business card

- some work (construction drawings and tender documents issued the day before), to show i was really working...

- almost final version of our I 129, G 325 and I 130 filled out

Had a fancy hotel reservation for one night, so i wouldn't lie saying we would stay in a hotel. After that we of course would stay at my wife's place...

I had one medium suit case, plus a shoulder bag with me, which did not make it easier for the xmas presents! At the travel date we had not filed our K3 yet.

The plane arrived around 17h local time, LAX airport. The passport area is tiny compared to JFK, Houston or Chicago. I did not get to chose which immigration officer would take care of me, and I was quite nervous....

- Purpose of your visist ?

= vacation

- hm, how long are you staying for ?

= i'm flying back in two and a half week

- leafs through my passport "what are you going to do ?"

= euhhh, staying in hollywood

- no, what are you going to visit ?

= oh, stuff, (pffff) desert and a bit of san diego (again not a lie)

- who are you going with ?

= my wife

- ok, enjoy your stay

I Made it !!!!! that seemed easy, and i had the feeling i was way too nervous.

Picked up my luggage from the belt up to the customs officer ( i had declared some feminin articles that i would in the US : presents). He was in a really good mood.

- These are presents ?

- Yes they are

xxxx cant remember other question xxxxx

- So your wife lives here ?

- Yes, we're going to spend xmas together and these are her presents.

-Ok, enjoy!

And finally I saw my love again after 2,5 month! Did not need any of the documents.

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

I'm Canadian and my husband is American. WE got married in April of 2009 in Canada.

Here's our border summary (which may be useful to those who are unemployed and living with relatives = no strong ties to Canada):

Well my husband comes to get me about every other month and I will go there for a month at a time. Why? Well because I don't have a job at this current moment so I can afford that time to go see him. However this is where the biggest problem always arises "PROOF of ties". I have always been asked by the border patrol "How do we know you won't stay forever." to which I answer "The only thing I can provide you with is my word that I will return." When I said that back in september the border patrol person believed it as it was the truth. we crossed over a few more times without problems.

My last visit we got a taste of having to go inside and face the possibility "I might be refused entry." We had a long chat with the Officer and he became very comfortable with the answers I was giving him. Again all of them were the truth. We let him know we were in the filing process etc. He again asked me that question "how do we know you won't just stay there?" I told him the same thing I said to the Officer back in September but I added "Every time I said I would return and have and have been true to my word.". The officer was very understanding of everything and chose to help us out with proof of ties by having me get a I-94 which would expire when I said I was due to return. When I crossed the border I was to ask the Canadian Officer to ensure the slip was sent back to the US border (I will be calling today to ensure they got it). I also took a picture of the slip so I'd have the file number and proof just incase. The border officer also shared with us another useful thing to do was to ask for the Officer at the booth to stamp date of arrival and date of return on our passports. This would provide proper documentation to the booth officer to show my ties/word that I would return back to Canada.

I am staying in Canada for the month as my husband submits our I-130. I will be returning to the US for another month long visit come the end of March. I will let you all know how that goes. I thought that perhaps my story could be of some use to some people. As I know not everyone is able to provide proof of ties to Canada especially in this wonderful economy.

All the best,

Amanda

Edited by CanadiaGirl

04/18/2009: When two became one

USCIS

03/04/2010: Submitted I-130

06/29/2010: NOA2

NVC

09/02/2010: 1-864 & IV Paid

10/16/2010: 1-864 delivered to NVC

10/27/2010: IV Package delivered to NVC

11/18/2010: AVR "Case Complete" at the NVC

02/14/2011: Medical

02/23/2011: Interview APPROVED!!!!

03/04/2011: Visa Recieved

03/04/2011: POE: Lewiston Bridge, Buffalo, NY

ROC

01/12/2013: I-751 Packet Submitted

01/14/2013: I-751 Packet Received (via certified mail)

01/18/2013: NOA1 Letter Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Im doing the k1, stayed a week in december, stayed a month in february. i'm unemployed and had no issues. i had more issues before we started the k1 process.

i was refused entry twice in 2008. and since we started the k1 process and informed the border officers about it and bring proof of it with us every time, i have had no issues whatsoever. in face they see us cross so many times now they joke about it and kinda say hurry up and get married :P

HWDWm6.png

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello all,

I have found this thread to be so helpful as I am planning to have my fiance come to the states while we wait to go to his interview.

Here is our story and will update later on the results.

My fiance got his tourist visit in September and came to visit 2 weeks later. When he arrived he had all his paperwork to show ties including a return flight in November but was only asked why he was here and who he was staying with. The officer who questioned him was Dominican so they spoke to each other in Spanish and he said she was very nice and did not ask to see any paperwork. His I94 was good until March 22 and he left March 2. We already had plans for me to go visit him in Mexico April 13 for 2 weeks and figured that would be around the time we would get our NOA2 but to my surprise we were approved March 16. It usually takes about a month and half for Juarez to send out the open appointment letter so the timing was perfect as we could just go to his interview while I was there, our plan has always been for me to go with him to the interview. However after looking at plan tickets from Cancun, where my fiance lives, to Juarez one way it's outragous. So our plan is for him to return home with me and within a month fly to his interview to El Paso, TX because it is cheaper. So here are my fears, he will not have proof of ties as he doesnt plan to go back after his interview(of course this is assuming he is approved), he will not have a return flight due to the flight we are going to book is not outside the US as we will take a taxi from El Paso to Juarez, also he wil returning 2 onths after being in the states for almost 6 months. I know the job of the POE officer is to make sure he doesnt have intent to stay but basically that will be our intent. Hopefully us coming in together and him having the NOA2 and the letter from the NVC will be enough for the officer to understand our situation. I would love to also have the open appoinment letter from the Consulate but most people end up not receiving it because of the mail system in Mexico so they just end up getting a copy before the medical exam. My biggest thing is I do not want to fly to his interview by myself as I am concerned with all the violence going on there.

So this is what we are planning and I feel like if they let him in then it should be a breeze for everyone else!!

Jessica

12-28-09 Sent I-29F
12-29-09 VSC received I-29F
01-06-10 NOA1 hardcopy received
03-16-10 NOA2 email
05-18-10 Interview-Approved!
05-20-10 K-1 Visa received-entered US
06-04-10-Married

Adjustment of Status
06-17-10 Sent AOS & EAD
06-18-10 AOS & EAD received at Chicago lockbox
06-23-10 NOA Email & Text received
06-24-10 Check cashed
06-26-10 NOA Hardcopies received
06-28-10 Touched
07-06-10 Biometrics letter-appointment 7-26-10
07-07-10 Walk-in Biometrics successful
07-16-10 EAD Touch, AOS RFE sent ) :
07-19-10 RFE letter received for tax transcript /AOS & EAD touch
07-22-10 text RFE received
07-23-10 AOS touch
08-05-10 AOS transferred to CSC
08-06-10 AOS touch
08-07-10 AOS & EAD touch
08-12-10 case resumed at CSC
08-19-10 EAD card production ordered
08-20-10 text EAD approved-EAD touch
08-23-10 AOS touch
08-24-10 AOS touch
08-25-10 2nd notice EAD card ordered
08-28-10 EAD card received
09-21-10 GC Production ordered
09-27-10 GC and Welcome letter received

N400

1-6-2016-sent N400 express 1 day mail

1-7-2016- received at Texas lockbox and signed by K Coltrin

1-12-2016-check cashed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Guys (I'm sorry for my English)!!!

I'm Canadian, 20 years old and I'm waiting for my interview in Montreal the 19 may for my K-1 fiancé visa. I just want to let you know guys That I across more than 8 times for a time of 2 to 3 months of visiting in USA. I come back in Canada for 2 weeks or a month and I don't have problem.

My second time when I across the border thought I was coming for work, they send me back with paperwork to bring back: paper of residence,school,job,mother paper,blablablabla.... I came back and never I had proplem to across. Of course I have to speack with the boder patrol for fiew minutes or hours, but they all the time let me go. I bring all my immigration paper and they really see that I'm gonna come back. I all the time buy a ticket go and comeback, like that They are really sure that I'm gonna comeback.

Just do it! The worst that can appen to you, you gonna have to return home, but never they will block you of U.S.A

good look guys!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.