Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,457 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My fiancee and I visited each other throughout the K-1 application process without any issues. She always traveled with a packet of info (she is beneficiary) in case there were questions, but it never happened. Fortunately she had a clean record with no overstayed visas, etc.

Now, however, I'm in need of clarification on entry/exit rules after landing in the US on a K-1 visa. My fiancee finally received her K-1 and landed in NJ a few days ago (she is Canadian but was living in Asia). They made her wait a while at Newark Airport, but she was finally issued the I-94 and allowed to enter.

We are hoping to go to Toronto next week to see her brother. I've been looking high and low on the forums for anecdotes or answers as to whether there will be any problems doing this, as I understand the K-1 is a single-entry visa. I read in the Visa FAQs that it is possible to travel to Canada/Mexico while in the US on a K-1, but only if we haven't yet married (not sure I see how that makes a difference unless the AOS process somehow voids the I-94) and the I-94 has not been surrendered.

Clearly the AOS process will take several weeks, even if we get married tomorrow. However she'd like to go asap to get a few things from her brother, like driver's license, some bank documents, etc.

Does anyone have experience with this? Can she just show her Canadian citizenship card upon re-entering the US and avoid showing her passport? She has not driven across the border in quite a while and doesn't know what the situation is like these days.

Appreciate any advice!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

Thank you for sharing; it's encouraging to know. My fiancee visits next month, so I'm hopeful things will go smoothly.

Just writing to let everyone know that my fiancee was able to make it through immigration. They did ask her a bunch of questions "What's the purpose of your visit?", "What does your fiance do?" and a few others, but it definitely does help to have copies of the NOA1 (or NOA2) and other pertinent information to show that the K-1 visa is in process.

31-Mar-2010 I-129F Sent (using USPS Express Mail)

01-Apr-2010 I-129F Received by Vermont USCIS

02-Apr-2010 NOA1 sent (USCIS website)

05-Apr-2010 Check cashed

06-Apr-2010 Touched

07-Apr-2010 Touched

10-Apr-2010 NOA1 Hard Copy Received

21-Jun-2010 NOA2 sent (USCIS website)

26-Jun-2010 NOA2 Hard Copy Received

03-Jul-2010 Packet 3 received

07-Sep-2010 K-1 Interview - Approved!

10-Sep-2010 Visa received

20-Oct-2010 Fiancée arrives in U.S.

13-Nov-2010 Wedding

01-Dec-2010 AOS Sent (using USPS Express Mail)

02-Dec-2010 AOS Received by Chicago USCIS

09-Dec-2010 AOS RFE - Incorrect amount on check (application fees increased)

14-Dec-2010 Received RFE from Chicago USCIS

15-Dec-2010 Resent RFE'd AOS (using USPS Express Mail)

16-Dec-2010 RFE'd AOS Received by Chicago USCIS

21-Dec-2010 NOA1 sent (USCIS mail notification)

23-Dec-2010 Notification for ASC Appointment

30-Dec-2010 NOA1 Hard Copy Received (was away on vacation)

18-Jan-2011 NOA for I485 transfer to California USCIS office

20-Jan-2011 ASC Appointment done

16-Feb-2011 NOA for AOS Approval

23-Feb-2011 NOA for AOS Approval Hard Copy Received

23-Feb-2011 Two-year green card received

19-Nov-2012 I-751 Sent (using USPS Express Mail)

20-Nov-2012 I-751 Received by Vermont USCIS

04-May-2013 NOA for Received Removal of Conditional Basis Received

I am in the K1 process at the moment (between NOA1 and NOA2 - filed in June) and will be flying into Chicago to see my fiance this Monday. Since I've had some bad experiences with the O'Hare officers I am quite nervous... On top of that, I don't have a lease or letter from my employer to show them. But nothing ventured, nothing gained, and three months apart have taken their toll on me! So here is a list of the copies I'm taking along in case they get stroppy with me:

NOA1

Our letters of intent

I-129F form

Copy of my fiance's passport

Confirmation emails from a school in London I will be attending upon my return to Europe (a week after the date of my return flight)

Correspondence between my aunt and myself showing we have an agreement I will be staying with her in October and November

I know that last one is a little weak, but I'm hoping all of that together will sway the officer to let me through. I'll report back next week to let everyone know how it went. Wish me luck!

xxx

Vera

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

I am in the K1 process at the moment (between NOA1 and NOA2 - filed in June) and will be flying into Chicago to see my fiance this Monday. Since I've had some bad experiences with the O'Hare officers I am quite nervous... On top of that, I don't have a lease or letter from my employer to show them. But nothing ventured, nothing gained, and three months apart have taken their toll on me! So here is a list of the copies I'm taking along in case they get stroppy with me:

NOA1

Our letters of intent

I-129F form

Copy of my fiance's passport

Confirmation emails from a school in London I will be attending upon my return to Europe (a week after the date of my return flight)

Correspondence between my aunt and myself showing we have an agreement I will be staying with her in October and November

I know that last one is a little weak, but I'm hoping all of that together will sway the officer to let me through. I'll report back next week to let everyone know how it went. Wish me luck!

xxx

Vera

Good luck Vera, can't wait to hear how everything goes!!

K1 Timeline:

9.10.10 - Mailed I-129F

9.14.10 - Received in Dallas, signed for by L. Walker.

9.20.10 - Check cashed

2.7.11 - NOA2 via email

3.31.11 - Medical interview

4.4.11 - Mailed packet 3 and paid visa fee

4.26.11 - Visa interview appointment, 9am

4.26.11 - Visa APPROVED!!!

5.4.11 - Visa delivered

5.25.11 - POE: Chicago

6.5.11 - Wedding in Omaha

AOS:

6.18.11 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

6.20.11 - Received in Chicago/check cashed

6.27.11 - NOA1 recieved for all three (AOS/EAD/AP)

7.26.11 - Biometrics appointment, 2pm

8.4.11 - Transfered to CSC

8.11.11 - EAD approved!!! (checked website)

9.14.11 - Green card approved!! (checked website)

9.19.11 - Green card in hand. Nothing further until 9/1/13!

"Absence is to love as wind is to fire; it extinguishes the small and kindles the great."

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I am about to begin the process of a K-1 visa for my fiance in Pakistan. I have not heard of any man from Pakistan coming here on a tourist visa. He has a very important job and a masters degree in business and can get the mentioned letter. He has a mother and siblings at home and has always taken care of them so he would not just come here and stay without making a lot of life-changing arrangements for his mother. He also co-rents in an apartment house. I understand everything he would need to bring with him. I get that. This is a great topic and I've read most of the stories. But I also do not see any men who are from a high risk country getting a tourist visa. Has anyone heard of any instances? If he does come here I surely could not bear to see him sent home! I have heard that he'd be black-listed if he's sent home. Any feedback on Pakistanis or blacklisting?

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I wanted to tell you of my story. I visited my fiance for 3 weeks in January and 4 weesks in april. I just arrived last Friday in Houston to stay another 8 weeks.

I brought binding ties but nobody wanted to see them. I was asked what I am doing here (vacation), am I bringing something (just some German candy) and who will i be staying with (my fiance). Then he asked if my fiance was American, which I answered truthfully. I wasn't asked how long I would be staying, so maybe that was a plus. I got my stamps with no problem but I was pulled out after getting my bag and they checked it. Not sure if that had anything to do with the fact that I said I was visiting my fiance or not.

I can understand everyones anxiety. I was so scared the whole flight that they wouldn't let me in. My advice is: bring binding ties and be truthfull with your answers.

Edited by quantumgirl

K1 timeline

07/01/2010: mailed I-129F

07/12/2010: NOA1

11/10/2010: NOA2

01/04/2011: Pack 3 sent

01/10/2011: Pack 4 received

01/13/2011: interview

01/22/2011: K1 visa in mail

03/29/2011: POE (Houston)

04/30/2011: wedding

AOS, EAD, AP timeline

05/02/2011: mailed I-485, I-765, I-131

05/09/2011: NOA1

05/30/2011: Biometrics

My fiance is visiting me in Chicago from the UK on Oct 1 for just 1 week and I am pretty nervous. It's the first time he is visiting since we started the K-1 process. He is a contract worker, so he is bringing his contract but not a letter from his employer (if he asked for one they would realize he is quitting and moving away so he doesn't want to jeopardize his job). He lives with his family so he doesn't have a lease. He is also bringing a copy of the NoA1 (we don't have an NoA2 yet), a copy of the !-129F application, bank statements, and will have a return ticket. Any other suggestions? We really want to be on the safe side. He's never overstayed a visa and is only staying here a short time with carry-on luggage.

Naturalization Process (FINALLY!)

05.29.14 - N-400 filed

06.02.14 - Packet received at the Lewisville Texas Center

06.05.14 - Check cleared

06.04.14 - NOA date

06.13.14 - Biometrics letter received

07.02.14 - Biometrics appointment

07.07.14 - In line

07.17.14 - 'Yellow Paper' date

09.10.14 - Interview scheduled NOA date

10.15.14 - Interview date

10.15.14 - RFE (missing documentation)

10.21.14 - RFE response received in NYC facility

11.04.14 - Oath ceremony scheduled, approved!

11.19.14 - Oath ceremony (8:30am) in Brooklyn - Completed! DONE WITH USCIS!

I will be visiting for the month of October and I'm a little concerned with the whole "binding ties" to my country. My job (a casual position) will be ending at the end of September, so I won't have proof to go back to. I am living with my parents and while I pay rent, my name is not on the lease... all I will have is our NOA1, a return ticket, and carry on luggage. I've never had an issue at the Ottawa airport, so I hope everything goes smoothly.

*bump*

Any ideas on what else my fiance can bring with him? (see above)

05.29.14 - N-400 filed

06.05.14 - Check cleared

06.04.14 - NOA date

07.07.14 - In line

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

*bump*

Any ideas on what else my fiance can bring with him? (see above)

Based on what you wrote and given where you are in the K-1 process, I think you have enough information. My fiancee came to visit me here about two weeks ago and she essentially brought with her:

• Copy of the NOA1
  • Copy of the NOA2
  • Copy of the letter from the Embassy/Consulate showing that they've received the I-129F
  • Proof of Employment
  • Her business card
  • Her boss' business card
  • Return ticket information

I feel that the most important thing is to simply be honest and sincere. While they did ask her a bunch of questions about why she's visiting me and a few about the K-1 process, they never actually looked at the documents she brought with her; it didn't hurt to have it on hand just in case. I believe that his entrance into the US should be without any problems. :yes:

31-Mar-2010 I-129F Sent (using USPS Express Mail)

01-Apr-2010 I-129F Received by Vermont USCIS

02-Apr-2010 NOA1 sent (USCIS website)

05-Apr-2010 Check cashed

06-Apr-2010 Touched

07-Apr-2010 Touched

10-Apr-2010 NOA1 Hard Copy Received

21-Jun-2010 NOA2 sent (USCIS website)

26-Jun-2010 NOA2 Hard Copy Received

03-Jul-2010 Packet 3 received

07-Sep-2010 K-1 Interview - Approved!

10-Sep-2010 Visa received

20-Oct-2010 Fiancée arrives in U.S.

13-Nov-2010 Wedding

01-Dec-2010 AOS Sent (using USPS Express Mail)

02-Dec-2010 AOS Received by Chicago USCIS

09-Dec-2010 AOS RFE - Incorrect amount on check (application fees increased)

14-Dec-2010 Received RFE from Chicago USCIS

15-Dec-2010 Resent RFE'd AOS (using USPS Express Mail)

16-Dec-2010 RFE'd AOS Received by Chicago USCIS

21-Dec-2010 NOA1 sent (USCIS mail notification)

23-Dec-2010 Notification for ASC Appointment

30-Dec-2010 NOA1 Hard Copy Received (was away on vacation)

18-Jan-2011 NOA for I485 transfer to California USCIS office

20-Jan-2011 ASC Appointment done

16-Feb-2011 NOA for AOS Approval

23-Feb-2011 NOA for AOS Approval Hard Copy Received

23-Feb-2011 Two-year green card received

19-Nov-2012 I-751 Sent (using USPS Express Mail)

20-Nov-2012 I-751 Received by Vermont USCIS

04-May-2013 NOA for Received Removal of Conditional Basis Received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I will be visiting for the month of October and I'm a little concerned with the whole "binding ties" to my country. My job (a casual position) will be ending at the end of September, so I won't have proof to go back to. I am living with my parents and while I pay rent, my name is not on the lease... all I will have is our NOA1, a return ticket, and carry on luggage. I've never had an issue at the Ottawa airport, so I hope everything goes smoothly.

Just a thought: Seeing as you mentioned you pay rent to your parents, perhaps you could get one or both of them to write out a letter as your landlord stating that you pay rent in $XX amount and are contracted to be living there until XX date. Then have them sign it and get it notarized. I know it's not as good as a a real lease but I'm sure its better than nothing if you're worried about it. I would also take a copy of your NOA1. Get your Fiance to mail it to you (If you haven't already) but obviously don't bring that out unless they bring it up first. Don't give them any more information than is explicitly asked of you.

Some other, albeit much weaker, forms of evidence of ties to Canada would be things like bank statements and any recurring bills that you have, cable/internet, cell phone, insurance (car or renters, seeing as you wouldn't have health) or any other contracts or recurring bills you can think of.

In all liklihood they won't ask to see any of these things but it wouldn't hurt to be over-prepared just in case.

I vaguely remember someone posting on this thread (a number of pages ago) a list of things they had brough and from what I can remember, it seemed pretty extensive. If you have the time and inclination you could probably skim through the pages to find it. But anyway, good luck and definitely let us know how it goes in October!

Just a thought: Seeing as you mentioned you pay rent to your parents, perhaps you could get one or both of them to write out a letter as your landlord stating that you pay rent in $XX amount and are contracted to be living there until XX date. Then have them sign it and get it notarized. I know it's not as good as a a real lease but I'm sure its better than nothing if you're worried about it. I would also take a copy of your NOA1. Get your Fiance to mail it to you (If you haven't already) but obviously don't bring that out unless they bring it up first. Don't give them any more information than is explicitly asked of you.

Some other, albeit much weaker, forms of evidence of ties to Canada would be things like bank statements and any recurring bills that you have, cable/internet, cell phone, insurance (car or renters, seeing as you wouldn't have health) or any other contracts or recurring bills you can think of.

In all liklihood they won't ask to see any of these things but it wouldn't hurt to be over-prepared just in case.

I vaguely remember someone posting on this thread (a number of pages ago) a list of things they had brough and from what I can remember, it seemed pretty extensive. If you have the time and inclination you could probably skim through the pages to find it. But anyway, good luck and definitely let us know how it goes in October!

Thanks :) He is sending me the NOA1 (though I already have a copy of it) and I will have a return ticket. I'll bring my bill that shows I pay for all the internet/cable/home phone in the house. The letter from my parents is a good idea, I will definitely do that even if it's only for my peace of mind. I've never had a problem visiting, never overstayed a day on any visits, and am only bringing a carry on! Hopefully all of this works in my favour. :)

Yeah my fiance is bringing a carry-on only as well. I'll mail him the NoA1 (even though sending the original does make me nervous in case it gets lost in the mail or something).

05.29.14 - N-400 filed

06.05.14 - Check cleared

06.04.14 - NOA date

07.07.14 - In line

Yeah my fiance is bringing a carry-on only as well. I'll mail him the NoA1 (even though sending the original does make me nervous in case it gets lost in the mail or something).

Make sure you both have a copy. :) I had my fiance scan a copy to me. I have the electronic version and the paper copy of it and he has the electronic version as well in case something happens to the original.

Filed: Timeline

I tried to visit my fiance in the states from Canada.

We are simply waiting for the interview date (packet 4) so almost at the end of our process.

Unfortunately, I did not do ANY research on what I had to bring with me

or that I would have any trouble getting into the US.

I intended to stay two months here

So after reading this thread, I just realized I did everything you are NOT supposed to do.

I foolishly came in with a one way ticket, had 100 pounds of luggage, no proof of my K1 and no proof of my ties to Canada.

I was taken into secondary and the officer was nice enough to allow me entry at all

He limited my stay to one month by giving me a B2 visa.

My concern is, if I try again to visit my fiance (with the proper documentation this time),

will this look bad for my visa?

I wonder if I am flagged in the system and be automatically taken to secondary this time.

And if I was taken to secondary, will my attempt to try to enter one more time be suspicious, not to the officer but to the consulate

I am not concerned about being sent back home since immigration is done IN montreal (where I live)

so I would not be stranded in the states and would not have to worry about FLYING back

I simply do not want to do anything that will cause my K1 visa process to be delayed

I know that no one can possibly know the answer

I am only looking for opinions please

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.